Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls II

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Mar 11, 2014

Blood, souls, and tears are continually spent as players traverse the land of Drangleic in FromSoftware's third entry in the Souls series.

Play day one on consoles or wait for PC version later on?

• 145 results
    hacksword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By hacksword

PC. I don't own a PS3 or X360, and console warriors misusing the term "zeitgeist" to promote their platforms isn't convincing me to run out and buy either one. I'd rather get the best version of the game.

I don't know anything about this game (literally, I don't know if Bonfires are in this game, I don't know anything), and I intend to keep it this way.

Dark Souls II spoilers:

From Software replaced the bonfires with Vita-Chambers.

shinjin977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am picking it up as soon as possible on ps3 and playing it again when it come to pc.

Nentisys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Wait for PC.

Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
    BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Day one.

s10129107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

Wait for the Steam sale.

Blommer4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Same as many others, I'll get it for both. There aren't many games (if any other than DS at all) I would buy for both console and PC, but this franchize is the BOMB.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I'll probably just get on PS3 first then pick it up on PC down the road because.

mina_mina752

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i suggest u buy it on consoles...pc's isn't namco thing, their pc releases are usually lame ports and lame controls, take the first dark souls for example many named it "worst port ever"

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I bought the PS3 version (special edition) and pre ordered the PC version.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Karkarov

Depends, online is pretty fucked on PC with rampant cheating. Some people prefer to play the game on PS3 for that reason.

Happens on all versions, trust me. Your average online fight is never going to be a fair one between two people just wanting to test themselves. One side will almost always be a twink, or abusing something about level design, or using a known exploit, etc etc.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think I'm gonna be one of THOSE people who buys the game twice: once on 360 immediately after it comes out, then again when the inevitable Prepare to Die edition goes on sale on Steam with the DLC bundled. I got Dark Souls long after the zeitgeist because I was intimidated by it, but now that I know I love it, I can't possibly pass up the opportunity to discover the universe alongside the rest of the community. March can't come fast enough!

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By CptBedlam

@karkarov said:

@cptbedlam said:

Depends, online is pretty fucked on PC with rampant cheating. Some people prefer to play the game on PS3 for that reason.

Happens on all versions, trust me. Your average online fight is never going to be a fair one between two people just wanting to test themselves. One side will almost always be a twink, or abusing something about level design, or using a known exploit, etc etc.

Trust me, after spending more than 400 hours with PC and console versions, I know a bit about the game myself. Cheating on PC is rampant, its definitely much worse than on consoles (although the 360 does have its fair share of cheaters itself).

People using "fair" means that are available to everyone is much different than flat-out using trainers to up the character stats to 99 each without even leveling or upping hp to 30k.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#64  Edited By pr1mus

Given that they are supposedly putting in real efforts to make a proper PC version this time i'm certainly not gonna settle for a console version. If all else fails the mod community will fix it and i'm pretty sure given the sketchy production values of both Demon and Dark Souls that there will be plenty of fixing to do so PC is a no brainer.

arkkazeal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'm going to take turns dying horribly on my friend's character on PS3 until the PC version is out and then I will breeze through it all. The real fun is in the beginning figuring it out together.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want a Wii U version.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Day one on consoles. I really want to be there for discovering stuff with the community for the first time.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cptbedlam: Fair enough. Personally I think the game has lost any real chance of being "competitive" since Dark Souls itself came out. The minute they took away the ability to have controlled and organized pvp was the minute it lost the chance at having a good pvp community. Anyone who plays online and or plays pvp should just be ready for every offense imaginable regardless of version.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Get it on Consoles first then wait for it to be $10 in a steam sale

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Aetheldod

On console ... no other big mysterious reasons than me being not too patient to wait more than I need to , I wish I was playing it right now :3

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I'll wait for PC. I just fell hard down the Dark Souls rabbithole about a week ago, so I think this'll be the first game since Fable II that I buy at full price at launch. Seems crazy to me.

haffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i suggest u buy it on consoles...pc's isn't namco thing, their pc releases are usually lame ports and lame controls, take the first dark souls for example many named it "worst port ever"

Eh, even though a shity port it's still better on PC. From also said they were going to put more effort into the DS2 PC version this time so I don't see any reason to go console unless you want to play with friends on a particular console.

Also how often do people run into hackers on PC? Because it happens pretty rare for me.

Anyway shity 3 day release lag in Europe so unless PC version is delayed more than a month I'll just wait.

Khronikos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Khronikos

Dear god if you have a PC stay the hell away from the consoles of last gen. It really isn't proper. I loved my PS3 but it simply is my bluray player now and there is literally no way in hell I would have ever touched that poop that was DS1 on PS3. The PC version is so superior that I find myself amazed at times. I mean with a 770 I get 2x2 supersampling and AO through Nvidia. Then you have all the decent mods that take away that HIDEOUS, and I MEAN HIDEOUS, console HUD.

LOL at Don Pixel up there. Sorry, man but that console version was an utter disgrace. So ugly, so gross, and so slow. I could never go back to playing this thing on consoles ever. I play DS1 right now, still not finished, with my DS4 pad. I am not sure how people heard this was a worse game than consoles, not even close, but the only things that were affected were patched by Durante in DSfix. Even unpatched this game was still better on PC. You can toggle just about anything with his fix. We are talking 1080p 60FPS gameplay with SSAO, supersampling, etc. The mods also make little things that were terrible with the customization a lot better plus the HD texture mod for Dark Souls is amazing from toology I think is his name.

Literally, seeing this on my PS3 running at 15-30FPS in sub720p with jaggies galore and then seeing it on my PC blew my mind. It was like a totally new game was revealed to me.

If you cannot invest in PC or don't have one I STILL say wait until you can. Play the backlog. Playing this game on the PS3 is simply no way to play IN MY OPINION. Absolute garbage performance and terrible graphics. DS2 is supposed to be a little better on consoles but after seeing this so grand on PC there is simply no way I could go back.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#75  Edited By golguin

@karkarov said:

@cptbedlam said:

As someone who's done over 250 hours of PVP on the 360 I've probably seen every type of cheating (invisible enemy, unlimited stamina and immortality are big ones) and even then it's probably less than 1% of the matches I've played and I have characters that fight at various soul level ranges. I expect cheating to happen more on the PC, but to say it's an average online fight thing is crazy. I don't even know what you're talking about dude.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By bybeach

All I have is a PC (a good one at that ) but I would have no qualms if we are talking about the new consoles. Why hold back, they should be roughly the same as Pc, and who knows about the porting, lol.

I am playing DS on PC right now, using a controller.

Edit-XB360 and PS3...my bad. Well, MB's argument is good, but I would want what I am playing on PC , and I am not one of those thin air purists on info. I read the comments and watched Vinny before playing the game. Still hard!

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I thought I'd return and say that I probably won't play it at launch at all now - neither on console or PC - as it is just one week before Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD is released, and I don't think I could set aside 2 weeks in a row to spend all my free time playing games (and FFX is my favourite game of all time, so it takes precedent). Maybe things will change leading up to it and I'll know I have the free time, otherwise I'll wait.

Avatar image for weegieanawrench
    weegieanawrench

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I was all set to come in here saying I would wait for the PC version, but I have to agree that getting this game day one and discovering stuff alongside you duders is much more appealing. So now I've got some time to decide between PS3 and PC.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#79  Edited By Sooty

@donpixel said:

Port was garbage, I think this is one of those console is actually the superior version.

I can't hear you over 1080p 60fps tho. (yeah I know with a mod)

haffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sooty said:

@donpixel said:

Port was garbage, I think this is one of those console is actually the superior version.

Do you actually play at 60fps? I thought that mod was messed up with the engine and made the entire game run faster.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Ezekiel

@haffy said:

@sooty said:

@donpixel said:

Do you actually play at 60fps? I thought that mod was messed up with the engine and made the entire game run faster.

I don't remember that, but it causes other bugs. Causes you to fall through the ground when you slide down ladders, makes slopes harder to climb, locks you at bonfires, slows down the menu navigation (D pad down and up), makes the panning during cutscenes appear choppy and probably more I can't remember.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sooty said:

@donpixel said:

yeah most likely you do, I play most of multiplats on PC anyway, personally I didn't feel this one was worth it.

Fantus1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

This has been really interesting to read...I've decided to get both depending on how big the gap is.

I should mention I've tried the beta & also at game shows and they were both running on PS3 at a steady frame rate and I think I only saw one incident of slow down when I was playing the beta.
    I also have the fear of the game being not a great version on PC day one

announakis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PS3 like demons souls and dark souls...

hopefully hackers will spoil the experience of console players slightly later than on PC (even though we all know that eventually douche-bags will start using hacks and mods on console too...*sigh*)

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

@ryanwhom said:

PC Dark Souls ran like shit for a while after release. I played through most of the game at 20 fps or less.

The game was also a relatively direct port from consoles, and the developers had stated prior to releasing it that they don't really do PC stuff, so it wasn't going to be a very optimal way to play it. Nonetheless, the game turned out pretty awesome once you got the fixes in place from the mod community. The only problem was really GFWL, and even then, I was able to get co-op and PvP going way easier than on Xbox 360 or PS3...for some damn reason.

Nonetheless, I don't really know what I'm going to do. I want to play it on PC only, but we'll see what happens. I'm sure my excitement will get the better of me and I'll buy it on Xbox 360 on launch day.

Here's the real question, though: without cross-platform support and with it being released across at least four different platforms at launch, how thin will the online communities be? The first game was able to thrive with a large online community thanks to limited platform releases, and I'm afraid that there might be a thinner herd across platforms this time around.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

PC version, if I get it. Certainly not day 1, in either case. No money for it.

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#87  Edited By Trilogy

I'll probably wait for it to go on sale on either 360 or pc (whichever version gets cheap first). Not the biggest Dark Souls fan, but I'm kind of interested.

PonchoPowerPhD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Try to suppress the urge to buy day one on consoles simply because you're getting a lesser experience. If you just like using a controller, then plug in a gamepad. For instance, I'm waiting for GTA V on PC because it's Rockstar's lovechild, they put so much attention and care into that game that I feel it deserves to be played at 1080p 60 FPS. Also, two words: mod support. Ultimately, by buying on PC, you're increasing the longevity of the product by opening the door to user-generated content.

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Day one console purchase and then again when it's on steam sales. That feeling when everyone is trying to figure out the game at the same time only happens at the start. Plus I'm not going to wait another few more agonizing month if the game is already out.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm getting it on PC. I like Dark Souls, but I'm not jumping out of my seat to buy this one or anything, so I can wait.

winsord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#92  Edited By winsord

Seeing how Dark Souls ran on consoles from the Load Our Last Souls streams, I'll wait for the PC version. Even if it's a bad port again, there's definitely enough of a PC community that it will be fixed, though I might still wait a little to see just how broken it possibly is at launch (hopefully it's a lot better this time, but we'll see). I'm sure the console version is fine, but I'll wait the extra month or so to play a version that'll be more suited to me. Also, by then we'll probably know if they've managed to totally ruin the game somehow, or whatever other misfortunes could arise.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Fredchuckdave

The online side of the game is going to be by far the most fun in the first 2-3 weeks or so; then it'll just be almost everyone having whatever boring ass build, and while there's still fun to be had in that environment it's mostly due purely to fucking with people and that's not everyone's thing. If you just want to do a blind run of the game it should be about the same for 2-3 months as long as you don't spoil it for yourself (not particularly difficult to avoid); once they start patching is when the weird amusing stuff will start going away, like Hollow Soldier Shield or Crystal Ring Shield and so on. If you want to do a low stamina/low vit run (10-12 of either at most) with a 2 handed character in Dark Souls for instance it's far better to play the unpatched console version. I imagine they'll put in another massive increase in souls gained at some point post launch as well.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Dear god if you have a PC stay the hell away from the consoles of last gen. It really isn't proper. I loved my PS3 but it simply is my bluray player now and there is literally no way in hell I would have ever touched that poop that was DS1 on PS3. The PC version is so superior that I find myself amazed at times. I mean with a 770 I get 2x2 supersampling and AO through Nvidia. Then you have all the decent mods that take away that HIDEOUS, and I MEAN HIDEOUS, console HUD.

LOL at Don Pixel up there. Sorry, man but that console version was an utter disgrace. So ugly, so gross, and so slow. I could never go back to playing this thing on consoles ever. I play DS1 right now, still not finished, with my DS4 pad. I am not sure how people heard this was a worse game than consoles, not even close, but the only things that were affected were patched by Durante in DSfix. Even unpatched this game was still better on PC. You can toggle just about anything with his fix. We are talking 1080p 60FPS gameplay with SSAO, supersampling, etc. The mods also make little things that were terrible with the customization a lot better plus the HD texture mod for Dark Souls is amazing from toology I think is his name.

Literally, seeing this on my PS3 running at 15-30FPS in sub720p with jaggies galore and then seeing it on my PC blew my mind. It was like a totally new game was revealed to me.

If you cannot invest in PC or don't have one I STILL say wait until you can. Play the backlog. Playing this game on the PS3 is simply no way to play IN MY OPINION. Absolute garbage performance and terrible graphics. DS2 is supposed to be a little better on consoles but after seeing this so grand on PC there is simply no way I could go back.

This man had a raging hard-on when he typed this.

It depends on how well the PS3 version runs. If people claim that it's a solid 30 or close to, I might just go that way to make it easier to avoid the shitty online component that I don't want any part of at all. If the frame rate is as bad as DS1, though, it will have to be PC and I'll find some other way around the online stuff.

FoolishChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll buy both. Playing it on day 1 is important to the nature of the game, imo.

endoworks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I've been watching the LOLS and Jeff Green streams and my brother has been a big Dark Souls fan for over a year now so I finally picked it up on the last Steam sale and I'm already a good 20 hours into it. I'll probably wait to get the game on PC just because I prefer playing there and plus that gives me more time to play the original Dark Souls while I'm waiting.

Davvyk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 19

Ill likely end up playing it on PC. I no longer have a 360 as i stepped up to PS4 and XBO.

gatehouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Seeing as I don't have a PC good enough to run the game, I'm going to be getting it day one for the 360 (simply as I prefer it's controller over the PS3's).

Avatar image for deactivated-5d056614f191a
    deactivated-5d056614f191a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I will be waiting for the superior PC version.

gerrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One of my favourite things about the original Dark Souls was venturing into the unknown ,right here on the GB forum.

It wasn't so much the levels or the story, but the weapons. Not knowing how each weapon scaled up or even what weapons were available where, was magic. You just had to go with your gut, share whispered stories of a trident that fell here or a black knight who dropped a shield there.

People are going to blitz dark souls 2 and before long there will be wikis and people all over telling you no don't use that weapon it doesn't upgrade well go to this chest do that thing upgrade a blessed mace because it destroys everything late game etc.

You already see what sort of effect that has with Patricks' stream and the Drake Sword and the Lightning Spear and Vinny choosing the Manserpent sword because people told him it has slightly higher damage output when you upgrade it even though he hates how it looks.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.