Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Buying the PC edition despite owning the console edition ?

• 59 results
    Mageman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Mageman

Will anyone here buy the PC version despite already owning one of the console versions of this game ?

I'm actually crazy enough to consider this on the condition that the netcode gets vast improvements and the port turns to be good all around, I mean imagine going through Blighttown with 40+ fps, what sheer awesome that would be.

mscupcakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By mscupcakes

I won't be picking it up on day 1, but I'll definitely pick it up if it goes on sale on steam. That's really the only way I can justify buying the same game twice.

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Akyho

Its not actually that insane. They switched off the servers for online play a few months ago. Meaning PC will be the only one with online ability.

Edit: Scratch that......apparently it is Demon souls servers going down...so um....maybe I will actually play Dark souls on the console. I thought Dark souls.

Mageman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Mageman

@Akyho said:

Its not actually that insane. They switched off the servers for online play a few months ago. Meaning PC will be the only one with online ability.

I don't think Dark Souls has online play servers, that would be Demons Souls. Darksouls uses a netcode where a played becomes a server/host iirc.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#5  Edited By Humanity
    @Akyho

What really? The Dark Souls servers? It hasn't even been a year since release or do you mean Demons Souls?

The Steam Summer Sale was tough but I followed a stern rule of no purchases of games I already played on 360 because I wouldn't be getting anything out of it. I'd dick around for an hour and look how nice stuff looks on pc but ultimately I'd have beaten the story so what's the point.
    Gravier251

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Gravier251

Tempting as I do love Dark Souls and it would be another excuse to play it some more with the extra stuff in right away. Though i'll probably stick to my PS3 copy, especially with From Software saying they haven't been able to do any optimisation and are unable to fix the frame rate issues, focusing on making it a straight port with the extra content in as a plus.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By CL60

I've not played it yet for the purpose if getting it on PC.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By xyzygy

I'd just buy the DLC they're releasing that's a part of the PC edition. Blighttown is choppy in like one area for maybe 5 seconds/vist and that's it.

Mageman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Mageman

@xyzygy said:

I'd just buy the DLC they're releasing that's a part of the PC edition. Blighttown is choppy in like one area for maybe 5 seconds/vist and that's it.

Nearly the whole of Blighttown is slugging at around 20fps.

@Gravier251 said:

Tempting as I do love Dark Souls and it would be another excuse to play it some more with the extra stuff in right away. Though i'll probably stick to my PS3 copy, especially with From Software saying they haven't been able to do any optimisation and are unable to fix the frame rate issues, focusing on making it a straight port with the extra content in as a plus.

That is unfortunate, maybe in time the community will somehow make modifications and improvements on it.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By ShaggE

It'll be part of a crazy Steam sale at some point, so yes, even though I only put 8 hours into Dark Souls before putting it off for too long and now being in that "do I start over or go in and try to relearn my character" limbo.

Obsidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Obsidian

I was really looking forward to buying it again until they said they would just be doing a straight port without any improvements. I can't imagine that there will still be slowdowns in blight town on a high-end system, but it's going to look like ass without higher resolution textures. It shouldn't be left to the community to do that sort of thing.

Brofessor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Brofessor

Yep I pre ordered it even though I have the 360 version, I love the game and I want to support From Soft. When they initially asked if gamers wanted a pc version and we said yes we have an obligation to support them. At least that is my thought process.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#13  Edited By cornbredx

Ya, I'd buy it again. The game is great. I am interested to see what difference (if any) there is, but the game is good enough on it's own that it's worth delving into a second time- in my opinion anyway.

Chippy180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Chippy180

Having sunk at least 200 hours into Dark Souls, I feel I owe it to From and my battered game disc to pick up the PC version. I don't mind that the port is likely to leave certain flaws like the frame-dip in Blight town(Which I've come to love over time) and the way that the player armour for Ornstein lacks a feather(is that so much to ask?!). I also have a few friends who only own PCs so I'll give them the grand tour of Lordran(Then piss off when they need me most ohohoho).

I'll be purchasing it from retail however to jump on the "Timed limited edition", which we'll likely see copies circulating around store shelves until the end of time as with the original Dark Souls. The new 150+ page artbook, accompanied by the same CD with the same track-naming errors and a copy of the game which I can only assume is for Windows Live. The Artorias of the Abyss DLC is just the icing on the cake(...A cake which I will no-doubt double-dip on once it's released on consoles to play with my Smoughbro).

In short: DARK SOULS PRE-ORDER ON THE #1 FEATURED POSITION ON STEAM GET HYPE.

No Caption Provided

@Akyho said:

Edit: Scratch that......apparently it is Demon souls servers going down...so um....maybe I will actually play Dark souls on the console. I thought Dark souls.

Yeah the Demon's Souls server were supposed to go down sometime last year, but Atlus are cool bros and decided that they would keep them going for as long as it is financially viable(Read:Used).

maginnovision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By maginnovision

Since it's the exact same game, with no improvements, no. Before they said is was going to be a terrible port I had decided I was going to get it again. Now maybe I'll just wait until the DLC comes to xbox so I can try new content in new game?+(don't remember how many plusses)

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By AlexW00d

@Maginnovision said:

Since it's the exact same game, with no improvements, no. Before they said is was going to be a terrible port I had decided I was going to get it again. Now maybe I'll just wait until the DLC comes to xbox so I can try new content in new game?+(don't remember how many plusses)

This basically.

RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By RIDEBIRD

I'll pick it up if they made it work on PCs in 1080p 60 FPS. If not, then what's the point? I haven't played the game but honestly I'm not touching a game that will be 720p stretched on my 1080p screen, in the originals 20-25 FPS at that. I can't play a game at that FPS without getting extremely frustrated.

So, waiting for reviews seeing as their statements have been extremely worrysome.

Hosstile17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By Hosstile17

I will not be buying it on release day because I already own in on the 360 and PS3. But, yes. I will be buying that game at some point through a Steam sale.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Ravenlight

@RIDEBIRD said:

I'll pick it up if they made it work on PCs in 1080p 60 FPS. If not, then what's the point? I haven't played the game but honestly I'm not touching a game that will be 720p stretched on my 1080p screen, in the originals 20-25 FPS at that. I can't play a game at that FPS without getting extremely frustrated.

So, waiting for reviews seeing as their statements have been extremely worrysome.

I feel the same way. I was ready to buy in at full price when I heard From was doing a PC version, but then they went with GFWL and aren't attempting any optimization. What exactly is the reason to play it?

knoxt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By knoxt

No it isn't crazy, sometimes you can't carry a computer as easily as a console, and if you really like the game, why not? I plan on doing this to keep my ps3 collection alive and having it for PC is a nice bonus.

Also, just so yuhknow, Demons Souls is still online. They didn't shut the servers off and last time I checked I think it said they'd be around for a while still. Those crazy From Software people are such a tease.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Azteck

Probably not. Not enough effort was put into it to warrant another $60 out of me.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Aetheldod

I wish I could but the molah is very scarce as of now :( , so probably I will wait till the dlc as I have it on PS3

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Doctorchimp

@Azteck said:

Probably not. Not enough effort was put into it to warrant another $60 out of me.

Aren't they asking for 40?

It's a tough call for me personally. The DLC is gonna be like 20 bucks on consoles right? For 20 bucks I might get a version that performs better, or if FROM is to be believed it'll be garbage I might just skip out on the entire thing.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By pr1mus

Unless they changed their stance on the resolution, framerate lock and essentially no differences with the console version i don't see the point of buying it again if you already have it on console. This is really only interesting to those who haven't already bought it.

TorgoGrooves89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By TorgoGrooves89

Yep. I loved Dark Souls and can't wait to play it again on PC, even if the port is not meant to be a good one. Plus I want to do a let's play and that is way easier on PC using fraps.

cyraxible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By cyraxible

Yes. Dark Souls is one of my all time favorites and I can't wait to play it for PC. Increased resolution and new content = Day 1 for me.

I'm not too psyched to see how bad the hacking in PVP will be...

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Akeldama

300 hours spent on the PS3 version, already got my Steam preorder. Lets do this.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#28  Edited By impartialgecko

Thought I read somewhere that the port wasn't going to be so hot. I know the console versions have issues but I heard things like a locked 30 fps and GFWL requirement, in which case that's a big price to pay for the same game at higher res.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#29  Edited By eroticfishcake

I'm going to buy it regardless since I just like the idea of having it on PC. Also I've spent upwards of 300+ hours on my PS3 copy and I don't want to stop any time soon despite the fact that I platunimed it a while ago.

Also those who are interested in the port should look at this thread on the Steam forums as it dispels some common misconceptions about the game.

beepmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By beepmachine

I probably put 200+ hours into demon's souls, yet somehow still haven't played this. I was stoked it was coming to PC, but the fact that they haven't optimized it is really disappointing. Games for Windows Live is a deal-breaker though; I would rather just pay full price and get it on PS3 to avoid GFWL.

amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By amir90

I will, but not on day 1. Because I am probably broke by that time.

Draugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#32  Edited By Draugen

Have it on PS3, will get it day 1 on steam.

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By SlasherMan

Sure, I'll buy it again. But I'm also going to buy Darksiders 2 and Guild Wars 2, and they all get released in more or less the same week. I'm not sure I'll be able to get them all at the same time, but we'll see.

@dennisthemennis: You can probably get it for like $20 new on PS3 at this point, so it won't be anywhere near $60 if you're trying to avoid GFWL. I got it for $25 for PS3 months ago.

Tonyyj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Tonyyj

My buddy actually bought Dark Souls on PS3 at launch and for whatever reason decided he needed the 360 copy too in order to prepare for when the PC version is released...

Avatar image for muttersometaxicab
    MuttersomeTaxicab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Yeah. I mean, I'm not surprised at any of the choices they had to make to put the game on PC. That said, I absolutely loved Dark Souls on the PS3, and I'm amazed that they even responded to the online petition. Will pick it up, even if it's just to support FROM.

beepmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By beepmachine

@SlasherMan: I'll porbably do that then, unless it turns out the pc version is noticeably better.

On the steam page it says: "PVP Online Matchmaking System – Quick matching for co-op or PVP." Does anyone know if that is a potential change from the sign-based system?

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Azteck

@Doctorchimp said:

@Azteck said:

Aren't they asking for 40?

It's a tough call for me personally. The DLC is gonna be like 20 bucks on consoles right? For 20 bucks I might get a version that performs better, or if FROM is to be believed it'll be garbage I might just skip out on the entire thing.

It's $40, yes, but once you turn that into SEK it looks more like the US equivalent of $60. Effectively, Swedish people pay around $90 for a new game.

FakeKisser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#38  Edited By FakeKisser

I'm waiting for the review...because I'm worried about the bad port.

perdido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By perdido

I actually picked up the Steam pre-order today when I decided to cancel my ultimate vault hunter reserve for the X360 in lieu of buying the PC version. I grabbed Darksiders II pre-order while I was at it as well.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ghost_cat

I have a feeling that the community will put out amazing things for this game, so I'm in.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#41  Edited By Marz

i'll probably pick it up again, if the port runs good. I would gladly sell my Xbox version if that was the case.

Tesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Tesla

Like many have said already, I will not be getting it on PC because no improvements have been made. I'll just download the DLC.

Jumbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Jumbs

I was going to, then they jacked up the price for Australian steam users :(

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Spoonman671

No, I'll wait for the new content to come out on PS3.  Something tells me that the PC version of this game isn't going to be blowing people away.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Sterling

If they would have worked on the frame rate and improving the graphics a little I would be all over re buying it at full price. But since it is just a straight port, I can't justify paying for it. For those that don't have consoles however, they should jump all over it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
    deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@RIDEBIRD said:

I'll pick it up if they made it work on PCs in 1080p 60 FPS.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that they will be locking it at 30 FPS on the PC version, which is a shame.

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By McShank

Yes, I am buying it day 1, I am also buying the dlc on ps3.

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Chop

Even if I had a gaming pc, no.

I'm not the type to buy enhanced versions and from what I understand, it's not even that. You might get a steady frame rate and that's about the only difference.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#49  Edited By eroticfishcake

@Godlyawesomeguy said:

@RIDEBIRD said:

I'll pick it up if they made it work on PCs in 1080p 60 FPS.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that they will be locking it at 30 FPS on the PC version, which is a shame.

The frame locking is a rumour at this stage. In fact, Namco-Bandai haven't even said they were going to. Having said that, I'll wait until it comes out and see what it's actually like.

envane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By envane

@Mageman: of course .. i will purchase it despite all its bullcrap surrounding the pc verison .. jsut to show that i am a pc elitist idiot who will buy any shitty port just to get more games released on the platform ..

but yeh i will :/ if that dlc was coming any sooner i might hold off but I NEEDS MY LORE

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.