Dark Souls Survey

  • 122 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
#1 Edited by cheeseymcnab (6 posts) -

http://obsurvey.com/S2.aspx?id=6de9bc8d-c713-4621-a0f7-e126b26c5199

I need a bunch of people to fill in this survey regarding Dark souls, it's for a college project and I know next to no one who has played this game. I would really appreciate any replys. Thank you.

#2 Posted by TekZero (2672 posts) -

I'll do it. Dark Souls is still my favorite game of 2012.

#3 Posted by cheeseymcnab (6 posts) -

@TekZero: thanks :) I love the game, requires skill. Patience too, but still skill.

#4 Posted by thehuntsmen5434 (427 posts) -

I'll support anything that is Dark Souls

#5 Posted by Roland_D11 (189 posts) -

Filled it out just now, good luck with your project, duder.

#6 Posted by Maajin (1059 posts) -

@TekZero said:

I'll do it. Dark Souls is still my favorite game of 2012.

I think it is my favorite game of this generation!

#7 Posted by thehuntsmen5434 (427 posts) -

@Maajin: Agreed, I just finished it for the 4th time on Sunday. My friends don't understand it, and I don't care if they ever will.

#8 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

Done. I called the game tedious and dependent on repetitiveness!

#9 Posted by cheeseymcnab (6 posts) -

thanks guys, good to see some serious gamers

#10 Posted by CaLe (3961 posts) -

@cheeseymcnab said:

thanks guys, good to see some serious gamers

That's core gamers, thank you very much.

Online
#11 Posted by jozzy (2042 posts) -

Did it because Dark Souls is the best. Questions seemed a little random, not sure what you will get out of it.

#12 Posted by Dislecsik (10 posts) -

Filled it out. I do love/hate that game.

#13 Posted by cheeseymcnab (6 posts) -

@jozzy: definately could've been ordered better, but the questions are what i needed :) thanks

#14 Posted by TekZero (2672 posts) -

The first game released in 2012 that I bought was Darksiders 2. That is because I've been playing Dark Souls since last October. Just S ranked it recently too :)

#15 Posted by Cincaid (2956 posts) -

@cheeseymcnab: Filled it out! By the way; did you mean "describe Dark Souls in 7 words or less", or did it have to be exactly 7 words? :P

#16 Posted by Spoonman671 (4601 posts) -

Done.

#17 Posted by Acaul (3 posts) -

Done. Good luck with your project.

#18 Posted by Konamikoden (26 posts) -

Game of the year all years, replied

#19 Posted by kerse (2112 posts) -

@CaLe said:

@cheeseymcnab said:

thanks guys, good to see some serious gamers

That's core gamers, thank you very much.

#20 Posted by xXxLYNCHxXx (162 posts) -

Done.

#21 Edited by Deusx (1903 posts) -

Sure, I'll fill your survey. Just because DaS is my favorite game ever.

@AhmadMetallic said:

Done. I called the game tedious and dependent on repetitiveness!

Your opinion sucks. The game can be tedious and repetitive but that's your fault. Not the game's.

#22 Posted by MentalDisruption (1622 posts) -

All done!

#23 Posted by TobbRobb (4603 posts) -

Done, also what the hell about the TV shows? It seemed oddly specific.

#24 Posted by TobbRobb (4603 posts) -

@Deusx: One man's tedious and repetitive is another mans fun.

#25 Posted by Largo6661 (334 posts) -

There you go buddy

#26 Posted by JellyFish_Gsus (769 posts) -

Always happy to help out for fellow duders.

#27 Posted by Humanity (9062 posts) -

@Deusx said:

Sure, I'll fill your survey. Just because DaS is my favorite game ever.

@AhmadMetallic said:

Done. I called the game tedious and dependent on repetitiveness!

Your opinion sucks. The game can be tedious and repetitive but that's your fault. Not the game's.

Farming for souls is always tedious and repetitive no matter how you put it. You need to up your stats to use that sword you just made with a demons soul? Well guess what, you're going to be killing shit then running back to the bonfire and kill shit again. Thats the least of Dark Souls' problems though and I say that as a person that more or less enjoyed it although not as much as the first.

#28 Posted by Rayeth (1035 posts) -

Filled out. GL with the project.

If this is for your college project, I hope that you clean up the grammar on the survey. Mixing up your and you're (aka YOU ARE) is sad at a college level.

#29 Posted by sodacat (214 posts) -

@cheeseymcnab said:

it's for a college project and I know next to no-one who has played this game. I would really appreciate any reply's.

What's you're favourite genre?

Dude. Seriously.

You've helped alot

Well I never pass up a change to help out an alot.

#30 Posted by cheeseymcnab (6 posts) -

@Cincaid: really didn't matter, I plucked number out the air lol

#31 Posted by cheeseymcnab (6 posts) -

@TobbRobb: i was just picking various genres of TV to see what gamers who play this game are most likely to watch, so would I advertise dark souls on the cooking show adverts? or the Football adverts.

#32 Posted by psylah (2170 posts) -

@cheeseymcnab said:

@TobbRobb: i was just picking various genres of TV to see what gamers who play this game are most likely to watch, so would I advertise dark souls on the cooking show adverts? or the Football adverts.

I don't watch TV. I am too busy playing games for ALL HOURS a day.

#33 Posted by Chaser324 (6432 posts) -

Done...now I need to look into what this "Loose Women" show is. Have they started showing porn on TV in the six months since I stopped getting cable?

Moderator
#34 Posted by eroticfishcake (7783 posts) -

Your hyperlink just links back to this page and that confuddles me. Also I did your survey and I hate you for reminding me that I haven't been a teenager for a few years.

#35 Edited by TeamJersey (340 posts) -

@cheeseymcnab: Just completed your survey. Best of luck, Dark Souls is a fantastic game.

#36 Posted by TobbRobb (4603 posts) -

@psylah said:

@cheeseymcnab said:

@TobbRobb: i was just picking various genres of TV to see what gamers who play this game are most likely to watch, so would I advertise dark souls on the cooking show adverts? or the Football adverts.

I don't watch TV. I am too busy playing games for ALL HOURS a day.

Same, never watch TV. At all. I'm thinking that might be a theme for fans of this game. :P

#37 Posted by bushpusherr (778 posts) -

Filled it out, good luck!

#38 Posted by jozzy (2042 posts) -

@Humanity said:

@Deusx said:

Sure, I'll fill your survey. Just because DaS is my favorite game ever.

@AhmadMetallic said:

Done. I called the game tedious and dependent on repetitiveness!

Your opinion sucks. The game can be tedious and repetitive but that's your fault. Not the game's.

Farming for souls is always tedious and repetitive no matter how you put it. You need to up your stats to use that sword you just made with a demons soul? Well guess what, you're going to be killing shit then running back to the bonfire and kill shit again. Thats the least of Dark Souls' problems though and I say that as a person that more or less enjoyed it although not as much as the first.

I have played the game for 200+ hours on the 360 and the PC and finished it with 3 characters and I never ever felt the need to grind souls. It is absolutely not something you are required to do, although some people play it that way.

#39 Posted by Humanity (9062 posts) -

@jozzy: Thats great for you man, I needed to use a weapon that needed 10 more in a particular stat and I was at a point where I needed 30,000 souls per stat point. So it was either start an entirely new character or grind some souls and check out the item. Maybe you just played knowing exactly what points you needed for each specific weapon and at what time before you even started your character.

#40 Posted by JJOR64 (18956 posts) -

Done as well.

#41 Edited by Nentisys (889 posts) -

Done, duder. I also had to look up "Loose Women", had never heard of it. So disappointed when I found out what it is.

@Humanity said:

Farming for souls is always tedious and repetitive no matter how you put it. You need to up your stats to use that sword you just made with a demons soul? Well guess what, you're going to be killing shit then running back to the bonfire and kill shit again. Thats the least of Dark Souls' problems though and I say that as a person that more or less enjoyed it although not as much as the first.

I didn't do any soul farming. I don't think you really need to, unless making a ton of different characters for PVP. On the contrary I ended up carrying around huge stacks of souls because I didn't level out of the recommended soul level for each area so I could coop / pvp easily.

#42 Posted by jozzy (2042 posts) -

@Humanity said:

@jozzy: Thats great for you man, I needed to use a weapon that needed 10 more in a particular stat and I was at a point where I needed 30,000 souls per stat point. So it was either start an entirely new character or grind some souls and check out the item. Maybe you just played knowing exactly what points you needed for each specific weapon and at what time before you even started your character.

Not really, I never planned it out that way. I always had something good enough to work with. If I saw an interesting weapon that I couldn't use I saw it as something to look forward to down the line. For example, when you get that axe from the Gargoyles that weapon is totally out of reach stat wise, but it didn't make me grind souls to be able to use it, I just started looking at it more later in the game. I really believe it's all down to how you approach this game, I don't even understand what you mean by "I needed to use a weapon..." in the context of this game.

#43 Posted by Bleeble (95 posts) -

Glad to help a duder out.

#44 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

@jozzy said:

@Humanity said:

@Deusx said:

Sure, I'll fill your survey. Just because DaS is my favorite game ever.

@AhmadMetallic said:

Done. I called the game tedious and dependent on repetitiveness!

Your opinion sucks. The game can be tedious and repetitive but that's your fault. Not the game's.

Farming for souls is always tedious and repetitive no matter how you put it. You need to up your stats to use that sword you just made with a demons soul? Well guess what, you're going to be killing shit then running back to the bonfire and kill shit again. Thats the least of Dark Souls' problems though and I say that as a person that more or less enjoyed it although not as much as the first.

I have played the game for 200+ hours on the 360 and the PC and finished it with 3 characters and I never ever felt the need to grind souls. It is absolutely not something you are required to do, although some people play it that way.

Just the fact that, in order to get used to the mechanics and memorize the animations through trial and error, I had to repeat the goddamned same bit where I spawn at the same bonfire and fight the same enemies (who always spawned with me) maybe 40 times in total (after which I uninstalled the game), is enough reason for me to say in confidence that this is shitty game design.

#45 Posted by lilbigsupermario (842 posts) -

Done!

#46 Posted by lilbigsupermario (842 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

@jozzy said:

@Humanity said:

@Deusx said:

Sure, I'll fill your survey. Just because DaS is my favorite game ever.

@AhmadMetallic said:

Done. I called the game tedious and dependent on repetitiveness!

Your opinion sucks. The game can be tedious and repetitive but that's your fault. Not the game's.

Farming for souls is always tedious and repetitive no matter how you put it. You need to up your stats to use that sword you just made with a demons soul? Well guess what, you're going to be killing shit then running back to the bonfire and kill shit again. Thats the least of Dark Souls' problems though and I say that as a person that more or less enjoyed it although not as much as the first.

I have played the game for 200+ hours on the 360 and the PC and finished it with 3 characters and I never ever felt the need to grind souls. It is absolutely not something you are required to do, although some people play it that way.

Just the fact that, in order to get used to the mechanics and memorize the animations through trial and error, I had to repeat the goddamned same bit where I spawn at the same bonfire and fight the same enemies (who always spawned with me) maybe 40 times in total (after which I uninstalled the game), is enough reason for me to say in confidence that this is shitty game design.

Don't all (or almost all) RPGs require tedious grinding? I remember playing FF8 and doing a lot of back and forth to that island where you can gather a lot magic stuff. And in Symphony of the Night where you had to kill the same enemies over and over again to level up. Not sure though, maybe it's just me, but I kind of felt that farming in Dark Souls is similar to other RPGs I've played.

But then again, that's your opinion and I respect it. Maybe you just don't like the game and it's not your type. :)

#47 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

@lilbigsupermario said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

@jozzy said:

@Humanity said:

@Deusx said:

Sure, I'll fill your survey. Just because DaS is my favorite game ever.

@AhmadMetallic said:

Done. I called the game tedious and dependent on repetitiveness!

Your opinion sucks. The game can be tedious and repetitive but that's your fault. Not the game's.

Farming for souls is always tedious and repetitive no matter how you put it. You need to up your stats to use that sword you just made with a demons soul? Well guess what, you're going to be killing shit then running back to the bonfire and kill shit again. Thats the least of Dark Souls' problems though and I say that as a person that more or less enjoyed it although not as much as the first.

I have played the game for 200+ hours on the 360 and the PC and finished it with 3 characters and I never ever felt the need to grind souls. It is absolutely not something you are required to do, although some people play it that way.

Just the fact that, in order to get used to the mechanics and memorize the animations through trial and error, I had to repeat the goddamned same bit where I spawn at the same bonfire and fight the same enemies (who always spawned with me) maybe 40 times in total (after which I uninstalled the game), is enough reason for me to say in confidence that this is shitty game design.

Don't all (or almost all) RPGs require tedious grinding? I remember playing FF8 and doing a lot of back and forth to that island where you can gather a lot magic stuff. And in Symphony of the Night where you had to kill the same enemies over and over again to level up. Not sure though, maybe it's just me, but I kind of felt that farming in Dark Souls is similar to other RPGs I've played.

But then again, that's your opinion and I respect it. Maybe you just don't like the game and it's not your type. :)

I understand what you're saying but I'm not even talking about grinding. I'm talking about the fact that in order to progress in the game, in order to go from bonfire A to bonfire B, you need to fight the same battle 20 times until you memorize every enemy's location, combat animation, moves and speeds until you're able to survive 5 consecutive fights.

I'm sorry that's just too much shit to take from a video game. But it is indeed my opinion and I'm glad to know that the game provided you with quality entertainment.

#48 Posted by jozzy (2042 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

@jozzy said:

@Humanity said:

@Deusx said:

Sure, I'll fill your survey. Just because DaS is my favorite game ever.

@AhmadMetallic said:

Done. I called the game tedious and dependent on repetitiveness!

Your opinion sucks. The game can be tedious and repetitive but that's your fault. Not the game's.

Farming for souls is always tedious and repetitive no matter how you put it. You need to up your stats to use that sword you just made with a demons soul? Well guess what, you're going to be killing shit then running back to the bonfire and kill shit again. Thats the least of Dark Souls' problems though and I say that as a person that more or less enjoyed it although not as much as the first.

I have played the game for 200+ hours on the 360 and the PC and finished it with 3 characters and I never ever felt the need to grind souls. It is absolutely not something you are required to do, although some people play it that way.

Just the fact that, in order to get used to the mechanics and memorize the animations through trial and error, I had to repeat the goddamned same bit where I spawn at the same bonfire and fight the same enemies (who always spawned with me) maybe 40 times in total (after which I uninstalled the game), is enough reason for me to say in confidence that this is shitty game design.

Yeah, this game was really not for you. This game really has next to no trial and error in it at all, and if you are repeating sections 40+ times you are just not willing to learn and adjust to the game.

#49 Posted by lilbigsupermario (842 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

@lilbigsupermario said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

@jozzy said:

@Humanity said:

@Deusx said:

Sure, I'll fill your survey. Just because DaS is my favorite game ever.

@AhmadMetallic said:

Done. I called the game tedious and dependent on repetitiveness!

Your opinion sucks. The game can be tedious and repetitive but that's your fault. Not the game's.

Farming for souls is always tedious and repetitive no matter how you put it. You need to up your stats to use that sword you just made with a demons soul? Well guess what, you're going to be killing shit then running back to the bonfire and kill shit again. Thats the least of Dark Souls' problems though and I say that as a person that more or less enjoyed it although not as much as the first.

I have played the game for 200+ hours on the 360 and the PC and finished it with 3 characters and I never ever felt the need to grind souls. It is absolutely not something you are required to do, although some people play it that way.

Just the fact that, in order to get used to the mechanics and memorize the animations through trial and error, I had to repeat the goddamned same bit where I spawn at the same bonfire and fight the same enemies (who always spawned with me) maybe 40 times in total (after which I uninstalled the game), is enough reason for me to say in confidence that this is shitty game design.

Don't all (or almost all) RPGs require tedious grinding? I remember playing FF8 and doing a lot of back and forth to that island where you can gather a lot magic stuff. And in Symphony of the Night where you had to kill the same enemies over and over again to level up. Not sure though, maybe it's just me, but I kind of felt that farming in Dark Souls is similar to other RPGs I've played.

But then again, that's your opinion and I respect it. Maybe you just don't like the game and it's not your type. :)

I understand what you're saying but I'm not even talking about grinding. I'm talking about the fact that in order to progress in the game, in order to go from bonfire A to bonfire B, you need to fight the same battle 20 times until you memorize every enemy's location, combat animation, moves and speeds until you're able to survive 5 consecutive fights.

I'm sorry that's just too much shit to take from a video game. But it is indeed my opinion and I'm glad to know that the game provided you with quality entertainment.

Hehe, yeah, that's why I've always seen the Souls games as a game that requires patience and a lot of free time lol! So I guess it's just not your type of game.

Good luck to you though and I do hope you get to give Dark Souls a chance again sometime, maybe you'll appreciate it by then. :)

#50 Posted by Humanity (9062 posts) -

@jozzy said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

@jozzy said:

@Humanity said:

@Deusx said:

Sure, I'll fill your survey. Just because DaS is my favorite game ever.

@AhmadMetallic said:

Done. I called the game tedious and dependent on repetitiveness!

Your opinion sucks. The game can be tedious and repetitive but that's your fault. Not the game's.

Farming for souls is always tedious and repetitive no matter how you put it. You need to up your stats to use that sword you just made with a demons soul? Well guess what, you're going to be killing shit then running back to the bonfire and kill shit again. Thats the least of Dark Souls' problems though and I say that as a person that more or less enjoyed it although not as much as the first.

I have played the game for 200+ hours on the 360 and the PC and finished it with 3 characters and I never ever felt the need to grind souls. It is absolutely not something you are required to do, although some people play it that way.

Just the fact that, in order to get used to the mechanics and memorize the animations through trial and error, I had to repeat the goddamned same bit where I spawn at the same bonfire and fight the same enemies (who always spawned with me) maybe 40 times in total (after which I uninstalled the game), is enough reason for me to say in confidence that this is shitty game design.

Yeah, this game was really not for you. This game really has next to no trial and error in it at all, and if you are repeating sections 40+ times you are just not willing to learn and adjust to the game.

I wasn't even going to comment anymore because I saw our opinions differed too much but now I can tell you are completely out of it. If you honestly believe that Dark Souls has no trial and error then you are either trolling, delusional or simply don't understand what "trial and error" means. The whole game is for better and worse built on repetition and trial and error. The simple fact that almost nothing is explained is trial and error. No one tells you that you shouldn't go to Tomb of the Giants at the outset of the game - you go there and die repeatedly and eventually go somewhere else. Thats trial and error. Bed of Chaos is a purely trial and error boss.

I suppose your initial "200 hours" remark should have been enough to steer me clear of any sensible discussion, but your delusions of grandeur about how this game is actually played are quite unsettling and depressing. I was a huge Demons Souls fan, told all my friends about it even though I knew it was not a game for them - I just enjoyed telling my stories. I'm starting to actively dislike the Dark Souls community which seems to spawn the most condescending and elitist gamers I've yet to witness on the internet.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.