Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Scifi dark souls

• 51 results
    JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By JZ

When you die you going into cyborg mode, and the more you die the more robotic you become. Wouldn't that be awesome? Laser swords, energy shields, space bonfires. Space pyromancy. Put the word space infront of everything.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Justin258

I haven't played Dark Souls but that idea sounds awesome.

For the record, I'd like to have space Elder Scrolls as well. You can get in your spaceship and fly between different space stations and stuff, and in between you come across bandit-controlled spaceships and space monsters and there are space Daedra and crazy stuff like that.

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
    SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

Space Souls: Prepare to Jam Edition.

Sorry, I think we're talking about different things here.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By JZ

Yeah scifi skyrim too

bwheeeler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By bwheeeler

How many years until people start complaining EVERY FUCKING VIDEO GAME IS SET IN SPACE

because that's like best-case scenario i want every fucking video game to be set in space ok

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By JZ

Space!!

bishna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By bishna

Gaping Space Dragon? Praise the Space Sun? I really like this idea. Though I am not sure I would want it to have the same melee combat focus if it is scifi.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By JZ

There are more suns in space

bishna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By bishna

@JZ: Where do I raise my arms, and to which to I give my praise....in space?

VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By VierasTalo

Too Souls? Dark Human? The opportunities are endless.

Dezztroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Dezztroy

This would be neat and all, but wouldn't mechanical parts be better than all of your boring organic counterparts? So you'd just kill yourself over and over?

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MiniPato

@JZ said:

Yeah scifi skyrim too

Scirim? Sci Rim? Skyfi?

Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Deusx

There's guns in the future so no, I don't want Sci-Fi Dark Souls. This was actually a rumor a while back when Dark Souls came out.

KingOfAsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By KingOfAsh

If the guns are weakened than yes. I'd just play Halo otherwise. Perhaps in a Fallout like setting it would work (infact that would be amazing).

What about a steampunk Dark Souls?

byterunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By byterunner

@MiniPato: skyfi sounds like some bullshit cloud based service that Syfy would provide.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@JZ said:

Yeah scifi skyrim too

This is what I am hoping from Fallout 4, even more into the future.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#17  Edited By breadfan

Yes!

kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By kerse

Could be interesting, although becoming more robotic sounds like a perk unlike being hollow (unless you're afraid of being invaded)

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By mordukai

@bwheeeler said:

How many years until people start complaining EVERY FUCKING VIDEO GAME IS SET IN SPACE

because that's like best-case scenario i want every fucking video game to be set in space ok

I wish people would start complaining about not another Cyber Punk setting.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By TheHT

The biggest problem for taking something like that and setting it in the future is making the melee combat relevant without a cheap contrivance to explain why people use laser swords.

Unnnnlesssss of course you just keep the medieval equipment and time period but the locales and monsters are all lovecraftian on other worlds rather than plague city and volcano town. Oh god, I would love that so hard. SO HARD. HNGGGGGGG.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By shirogane

@TheHT said:

The biggest problem for taking something like that and setting it in the future is making the melee combat relevant without a cheap contrivance to explain why people use laser swords.

Unnnnlesssss of course you just keep the medieval equipment and time period but the locales and monsters are all lovecraftian on other worlds rather than plague city and volcano town. Oh god, I would love that so hard. SO HARD. HNGGGGGGG.

That wouldn't be hard. Doubly so if you take the cyborg/robot thing into account. Bullets kill people in one hit but not robots, meaning that you could take a few hits as you get in close and destroy whoever you're fighting with a sword or similar weapon.

Then there's all the advanced armor/shielding and other tech stuff to take into account as well.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Spoonman671

Space halberd? Sure, I'm on board.

Deathcrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Deathcrush

I dont like this idea but i dont like scifi and the combat system is more about the wightiness of weapons and scifi dont strike me as something with that kind of weaponry. i am not the biggest fan of steampunk either but i can see how that would work. but i hope they dont do anything wierd i like the dark medieval fantasy gothicness

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TheHT

@Shirogane said:

@TheHT said:

That wouldn't be hard. Doubly so if you take the cyborg/robot thing into account. Bullets kill people in one hit but not robots, meaning that you could take a few hits as you get in close and destroy whoever you're fighting with a sword or similar weapon.

Then there's all the advanced armor/shielding and other tech stuff to take into account as well.

it's not hard to come up with something at all, it's just hard to come up with something and have it not come across as painfully contrived.

like robots being more resilient than humans so they all decide to use swords. how is swinging a sword more effective than shooting a couple more times? or why not just make better guns or ammunition? it's just the sort of thing that raises too many questions and the answers are rarely satisfying. and if they cave and change the game to a shooter, then they've gotten rid of one of the best parts of the old games.

ultimately it's not a big deal, but it's an inconsistency to the whole package.

then again i'm enjoying Warframe right now, and that's mostly cyborg ninjas cutting up dudes in space. so maybe i wouldn't think about it much.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By shirogane

@TheHT said:

@Shirogane said:

@TheHT said:

it's not hard to come up with something at all, it's just hard to come up with something and have it not come across as painfully contrived.

like robots being more resilient than humans so they all decide to use swords. how is swinging a sword more effective than shooting a couple more times? or why not just make better guns or ammunition? it's just the sort of thing that raises too many questions and the answers are rarely satisfying. and if they cave and change the game to a shooter, then they've gotten rid of one of the best parts of the old games.

ultimately it's not a big deal, but it's an inconsistency to the whole package.

then again i'm enjoying Warframe right now, and that's mostly cyborg ninjas cutting up dudes in space. so maybe i wouldn't think about it much.

A sword is much easier to do more damage with than a gun for one. Getting shot will do some damage, but a sword could just slice them in half, or slice of limbs with a single attack. Also, getting in close to someone with a ranged weapon makes it pretty hard to hit you. There's also the fact that humans feel pain, eliminate that and there's another reason you could just ignore gunshots. It's the same reason why melee enemies in FPS and TPS games are so annoying.

Better guns or ammunition, the theory here is that the stuff can't keep up with the armor/shields.

All that said though, i'm not sure if they could really keep the Dark Souls vibe in a sci-fi setting. I guess the closest thing would be something like Aliens.

Oh and i'm going to add that From Software does the Armored Core series already.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TheHT

@Shirogane said:

A sword is much easier to do more damage with than a gun for one. Getting shot will do some damage, but a sword could just slice them in half, or slice of limbs with a single attack. Also, getting in close to someone with a ranged weapon makes it pretty hard to hit you. There's also the fact that humans feel pain, eliminate that and there's another reason you could just ignore gunshots. It's the same reason why melee enemies in FPS and TPS games are so annoying.

Better guns or ammunition, the theory here is that the stuff can't keep up with the armor/shields.

All that said though, i'm not sure if they could really keep the Dark Souls vibe in a sci-fi setting. I guess the closest thing would be something like Aliens.

we're getting into arguing for the sake of arguing territory here, but what makes a sword easier to do more damage than a gun? you swing away for a sword and squeeze a trigger for a gun. using guns is far more efficient, and why would a sword just cut something in half when a bullet would only do some damage. either the sword would have to be something crazy like a lightsaber or the person wielding it would have to be incredibly strong. but if the latter is the case why doesn't the sword just break on contact from all that force?

how would you even get in close unless you were super fast, your enemy was super incompetent, or their guns completely suck. and if your enemies were robots too, couldn't they shrug off gunshots? but then that goes back to me asking why the heck in a world where a robot can shrug off bullets, regular ammunition hasn't changed to handle them or the guns themselves (laser guns and what not)?

it's the sort of thing that you have to come to terms with and generally suspend disbelief for in other games, but in the melee focused Souls games, i think it would stand out much more. the armor shield thing could work out, but it doesn't help explain why they would protect against gunshots more than someone swinging a sword at them. and if they protected against both, why hasn't the weaponry been improved to deal with the armor/shields? it's just that in a futuristic sci-fi world it's easier to ask why technology isn't just adapted to deal with things, but back in the more medieval time period there's no appealing to technology. the most technologically advanced tech is a crossbow.

i guess they could just say magic removed any need for guns and eliminate the problem all together. a future with just magic and melee weapons. that'd be interesting.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

Space travel generally symbolizes the dominance of a species over their world, they've mastered it. I think putting Dark Souls in a setting like that would kind of kill it, the world wouldn't seem as mysterious or dangerous. Even alien planets don't seem as threatening when you have space guns and shit.

I could be wrong though, mite b cool.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By JZ

No space guns problem solved

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Scrawnto

@Bishna said:

@JZ: Where do I raise my arms, and to which to I give my praise....in space?

In space... no one can hear you praise the sun.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By McGhee

It's a known fact that, indeed, everything is better in space.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By MikkaQ

My standard position is that sci-fi trumps all, so hell yes to that idea.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By shirogane

@TheHT said:

@Shirogane said:

we're getting into arguing for the sake of arguing territory here, but what makes a sword easier to do more damage than a gun? you swing away for a sword and squeeze a trigger for a gun. using guns is far more efficient, and why would a sword just cut something in half when a bullet would only do some damage. either the sword would have to be something crazy like a lightsaber or the person wielding it would have to be incredibly strong. but if the latter is the case why doesn't the sword just break on contact from all that force?

how would you even get in close unless you were super fast, your enemy was super incompetent, or their guns completely suck. and if your enemies were robots too, couldn't they shrug off gunshots? but then that goes back to me asking why the heck in a world where a robot can shrug off bullets, regular ammunition hasn't changed to handle them or the guns themselves (laser guns and what not)?

it's the sort of thing that you have to come to terms with and generally suspend disbelief for in other games, but in the melee focused Souls games, i think it would stand out much more. the armor shield thing could work out, but it doesn't help explain why they would protect against gunshots more than someone swinging a sword at them. and if they protected against both, why hasn't the weaponry been improved to deal with the armor/shields? it's just that in a futuristic sci-fi world it's easier to ask why technology isn't just adapted to deal with things, but back in the more medieval time period there's no appealing to technology. the most technologically advanced tech is a crossbow.

i guess they could just say magic removed any need for guns and eliminate the problem all together. a future with just magic and melee weapons. that'd be interesting.

It works in Armored Core! should be the only argument i have to give here...

But just for the sake of the argument. If you consider a gun, and the way a bullet inflicts damage compared to a sword/other melee weapon and how they inflict damage you can easily see how one does a lot more than the other. A bullet basically creates a tiny hole, the other, depending on what type of weapon your using, either crushes or a long cut. And yes, at this point we're basically considering energy swords or something like that, not just a normal sword at the very least. A good example is basically games. The idea is that you're giving people more health instead of dieing to single shots. And in pretty much all games i've seen, melee character can usually destroy people a lot faster than ranged ones.

If we're in a world with these kind of robotic enhancements, you'd think that there's at least one that can cause you to move super fast. As for ammunition changing to handle that kind of stuff, there's only really so far you can go with that, even now you can't exactly shoot through metal that well. I think you're overestimating technology and how far it can advance in certain directions while underestimating others.

I can somewhat agree with the argument about it not working in the Souls games, but not for the reasons you've stated. It's more about how fast you can die/kill in the games than anything else. In the kind of universe i'm describing things probably aren't quite as fast, so it would be a totally different kind of game.

I'm probably going to agree with the magic and melee weapons future thing though, that's not something that's done too often, and the closest thing i can think of is 40K, and that stuff is awesome, so i'm all for it.

Julmust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#33  Edited By Julmust

I just want more space/sci-fi games.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By TheHT

@Shirogane said:

It works in Armored Core! should be the only argument i have to give here...

But just for the sake of the argument. If you consider a gun, and the way a bullet inflicts damage compared to a sword/other melee weapon and how they inflict damage you can easily see how one does a lot more than the other. A bullet basically creates a tiny hole, the other, depending on what type of weapon your using, either crushes or a long cut. And yes, at this point we're basically considering energy swords or something like that, not just a normal sword at the very least. A good example is basically games. The idea is that you're giving people more health instead of dieing to single shots. And in pretty much all games i've seen, melee character can usually destroy people a lot faster than ranged ones.

If we're in a world with these kind of robotic enhancements, you'd think that there's at least one that can cause you to move super fast. As for ammunition changing to handle that kind of stuff, there's only really so far you can go with that, even now you can't exactly shoot through metal that well. I think you're overestimating technology and how far it can advance in certain directions while underestimating others.

I can somewhat agree with the argument about it not working in the Souls games, but not for the reasons you've stated. It's more about how fast you can die/kill in the games than anything else. In the kind of universe i'm describing things probably aren't quite as fast, so it would be a totally different kind of game.

I'm probably going to agree with the magic and melee weapons future thing though, that's not something that's done too often, and the closest thing i can think of is 40K, and that stuff is awesome, so i'm all for it.

like i said, in other games is generally not difficult to suspend disbelief in, so it working for armored core is meaningless.

right, energy swords. that's fine, but then the problem of a projectile (laser, bullet, whatever) being faster than a person with a sword. and if there's tech to make someone super fast, then there's tech to make someone super fast with a gun and just shoot the dude coming at them with a sword. i don't buy the whole 'a sword is easier to damage with than a gun' thing.

the only reason i think it wouldn't work in a souls game is because as they are, the tech is generally pretty realistic. you got your swords and you got your bows. and if things progress as is often depicted, eventually you'd just get guns. but yeah, if they did do a sci-fi dark souls, i'd just rather there weren't any guns. just magic and melee weapons, keeping the gameplay pretty much the exact same.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By shirogane

@TheHT:

I'm still not sure why it working in other games means it shouldn't work here. We're talking about a game with magic here, and one where you can't really die. Might i also mention the fact that you can be stabbed/impaled right through the chest with a sword/spear and stand right back up from it?

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By TheHT

@Shirogane said:

@TheHT:

I'm still not sure why it working in other games means it shouldn't work here. We're talking about a game with magic here, and one where you can't really die. Might i also mention the fact that you can be stabbed/impaled right through the chest with a sword/spear and stand right back up from it?

hmm, not quite. there's no connection between it working in other games and therefore not working in this one.

i should take a step back here and reiterate my original point: the problem isn't that rationalizing melee combat can't happen in a sci-fi setting, the problem is that rationalizing it and not having that just be a cheap contrivance can prove tricky.

robots and armoring and weak bullets that no one thought to improve and all that, it's just a messy and lackluster explanation.

frankly this:@JZ said:

is totally the best solution. because using bows in the future would be stupid, and i sure wouldn't want a souls game to turn into a third-person shooter with crazy sci-fi guns. so just fuck the ranged combat, save for magic, and call it a day.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By shirogane

@TheHT said:

@Shirogane said:

@TheHT:

hmm, not quite. there's no connection between it working in other games and therefore not working in this one.

i should take a step back here and reiterate my original point: the problem isn't that rationalizing melee combat can't happen in a sci-fi setting, the problem is that rationalizing it and not having that just be a cheap contrivance can prove tricky.

robots and armoring and weak bullets that no one thought to improve and all that, it's just a messy and lackluster explanation.

frankly this:@JZ said:

is totally the best solution. because using bows in the future would be stupid, and i sure wouldn't want a souls game to turn into a third-person shooter with crazy sci-fi guns. so just fuck the ranged combat, save for magic, and call it a day.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on the first part i guess, but i do agree that just removing guns if they do this is the best solution, or if they do want them, make them as useless as crossbows in Dark Souls. Not sure how i feel about the bows though, most of the time they were just used to abuse the AI.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By TheHT

@Shirogane: which was definitely fun. things like getting the drake sword with a bow was really fun too. but it's nothing that really can't be replaced with magic. like, literally having a 'magic bow' that's just an ethereal bow that shoots arrows of light or something.

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#39  Edited By I_smell

I feel like the dirty stone castle motif of Dark Souls right now really reflects what the game's about. 
    Grizzly unfortunate death.

EDIT- "Gothic medieval" is a good descriptor.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By shirogane

@TheHT: Yeah, that's why i'm not sure about bows, even though it was kinda great, it felt like cheating.

Avatar image for rhombus_of_terror
    Rhombus_Of_Terror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Medievalpunk game.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#42  Edited By jakob187

Honestly, if you were to have said "what if From Software made a sci-fi Souls game in space on a distant world", I would mark out like a muthafucker and then say "FUCK YES WHY HASN'T THIS HAPPENED YET JESUS TITTY-FUCKING CHRIST OF LATTER-DAY SAINTS!"

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By jozzy

I want more Dark Souls type games in general. Other settings like Sci Fi would indeed be awesome (Give me a Dune DS please!). Cyborg character, when you die you lose a body part like maybe an arm and you have to get it back. Instead of armor you get new modules for your cyborg, like better arms/legs/eyes/.. Certain weapons have minimum requirements, like how attributes work now, you need a strong arm to hold a huge axe for example. Or wait, how about if you die you need to get back there and fight your cyborg to get your loot back ZombiU style.

mustachio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By mustachio

I'd like to see more of a hybrid between the two worlds rather than just "this but all space", so basically you take the idea of mythos and gods and ancient lands and legendary monsters and heroes, and you then throw them forward into sci-fi land and try to imagine how they would adapt. So rather than just every enemy being some variant on a robot or cyborg, it would be like knights with the same armour and aesthetics but upgraded here and there with titanium and holographic business, and genuine dragons that also happen to have adopted some ship engine technology to go super duper fast. It would be stupid as hell and that's exactly why it would be great.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By CptBedlam

Not gonna lie, that sounds awesome.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#46  Edited By ArbitraryWater

SPACE SOULS sounds like a video game I would willingly play. Really, any of the ideas being pitched here would work, as long as the tone is dour and grim enough.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#47  Edited By Sackmanjones

Modern day dark souls

Avatar image for fire_of_the_wind
    Fire_Of_The_Wind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Fire_Of_The_Wind

Space Souls Jam

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#49  Edited By GERALTITUDE

Yeah, I'm on board. Space Souls.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By JZ

Hot damn dragons with jet engines is my new favorite thing ever.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.