Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Darksiders II

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Aug 14, 2012

Players return to the post-Apocalypse in the sequel to 2010's Darksiders, this time as former protagonist War's fellow Horseman of the Apocalypse, Death, the pale rider, who seeks to resurrect Humanity to clear his brother's good name.

PC Impressions

• 187 results
    mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By mosdl
    No Caption Provided

Sadly no in-game configurations past resolution and vsync. Looks like the game does come with built-in AA.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Barrock

Purty.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By Wemibelle

It's crazy that a game can come out in 2012 with no graphics options. Seems like it would save so many headaches.

SarjuTheRapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By SarjuTheRapper

@wemibelec90 said:

It's crazy that a game can come out in 2012 with no graphics options. Seems like it would save so many headaches.

it's actually a fairly common trend. rage was the same way

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mosdl

@wemibelec90 said:

More options = more testing = more testing costs.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By mordukai

Can't you force AA?

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By mosdl
    No Caption Provided

The textures aren't very high res but still seem to be better than the original game. Definitely wish I could change the FOV but it isn't really in the way.

Game is not framelocked, getting over 140 fps easily.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mosdl

@mordukai said:

Can't you force AA?

It comes with AA already, though I bet forcing it using gpu tools should work.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By TheHT

Oh shit, I need to finish Darksiders!

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By mosdl
    No Caption Provided

First real annoyance - as you can see from the above screenshot, the loot icons and other parts of the UI aren't very high res (this is at 1920x1200) and show up pixelated. Still, loooooooot!

david3cm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By david3cm

And besides the graphics are you enjoying the game so far?

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mosdl

@david3cm said:

And besides the graphics are you enjoying the game so far?

Its more Darksiders, so yes. The secondary weapon I have (an axe) feels more like War (slow, charge ups) but the main weapons play totally different as you are very fast. Jumping near an enemy juggles him into the air with you for example.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Wemibelle

@SarjuTheRapper: Just because it has become a common trend doesn't mean it still isn't crazy.

Avatar image for captaintightpants
    CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pity, I was hoping they would do better than the first Darksiders on the PC, which offered the same amount of options. I just hope I don't get the mad stuttering I got in the first Darksiders.

SarjuTheRapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SarjuTheRapper

@wemibelec90: yeah its pretty depressing i agree

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#16  Edited By BeachThunder

It's very...consoley:

• No keybinding.
    • very few options.
    • low res character screen.
    • No mouse wheel scrollable text boxes/other sloppy M&K menu stuff.

Still enjoying the game as a whole though.

maginnovision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By maginnovision

I'll say it seems like a good game, but I hate that I can't use mouse and keyboard, just like darksiders, because the controls are just terrible. I was not able to beat darksiders because I'm not good enough with the 360 controller to pull off some of the stuff you had to with the throwing weapon. Also you can rebind the controls if you go to the skills menu.

I have an issue that whenever I go to the options menu and try to come back it actually stays at a screen with a static picture. All this after I finished watching gamespots most recent video with some darksiders 2 guys saying how it was going to be really good for PC. It's actually like alot of games now, blatant console port. Oh well, I guess I'll see if I can beat it with a 360 controller. At least I still get my 60FPS.

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
    tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By tim_the_corsair

Is there a settings file somewhere that can be edited in notepad?

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#19  Edited By Driadon

Jeeze, that menu system looks terrible on that res! I'm playing on a 1440x900 native monitor and the menus look fantastic.

As for the actual game, it really plays well. I'm having a blast in the first major dungeon. I wish I didn't have to work tomorrow :(

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By artelinarose

Little annoyed that I can't use my PS3 controller with MotionInJoy.

Teran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By Teran

@Maginnovision said:

I'll say it seems like a good game, but I hate that I can't use mouse and keyboard, just like darksiders, because the controls are just terrible. I was not able to beat darksiders because I'm not good enough with the 360 controller to pull off some of the stuff you had to with the throwing weapon. Also you can rebind the controls if you go to the skills menu.

I have to disagree with you on this one. The controls in the first Darksiders took some getting used to, but once I did manage to do that I started fighting with surgical precision. I tried playing it again on my x-box because I managed to get a good deal on a used one but couldn't stand how slow and mushy the game's controls felt while using a standard controller.

You may not have liked the controls or the way MKB felt in the original however this doesn't automatically mean the controls were terrible. When I first started playing my opinion was pretty close to yours and if I had access to a wired 360 controller at the time I would have probably switched like you did, however I had no alternative options and didn't want to stop playing so I just did the best I could with what I had. I learned that there is a pretty big difference between terrible controls and controls that take a little time to learn.

Terrible controls in a game generally prevent a player from reaching their full potential regardless of how long they may play or how good at the game they are. It is possible for a game's control scheme to have a steep learning curve and remain terrible however in the case of Darksiders 1 this isn't the case. The learning curve often creates the illusion of bad design while you're on it however once you have achieved mastery and realized your full potential a lot of the things that made the controls difficult to learn early on actually improve your level of play once you know how to utilize them.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By mosdl

@Tim_the_Corsair said:

Is there a settings file somewhere that can be edited in notepad?

There is a place to put one, perhaps the community will figure it out eventually.

murisan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By murisan

God damn it's good.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By mosdl

Way more story this time, about 5-6 speaking roles just in the first hour. I like Death's voice, and he has more of an attitude than War. I have to say that all the new abilities/etc have pushed me to use my controller, feels better than keyboard/mouse.

Strong design and music, and looks like no pre-rendered cutscenes in the game engine - other than the motion-graphicy cutscenes everything rendered in real time.

They also kinda reveal the look of the other 2 horsepeople (one is female), can't remember if the first showed any of that.

Also the climbing/parkour is really POP 2008ish, really liked that game and continues to be fun here.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By BeachThunder

@mosdl said:

Way more story this time, about 5-6 speaking roles just in the first hour. I like Death's voice, and he has more of an attitude than War. I have to say that all the new abilities/etc have pushed me to use my controller, feels better than keyboard/mouse.

Strong design and music, and looks like no pre-rendered cutscenes in the game engine - other than the motion-graphicy cutscenes everything rendered in real time.

They also kinda reveal the look of the other 2 horsepeople (one is female), can't remember if the first showed any of that.

Also the climbing/parkour is really POP 2008ish, really liked that game and continues to be fun here.

Definitely interesting how they have a dialogue wheel; it would have been nice if they implemented it better (more M&K friendly)

Glad they got rid of the pre-rendered cutscenes, they looked awful last time =\

The concept art of the 4 horse...people has been around for a while (Fury, Strife)

The movement definitely does feel like POP08, especially the no falling death thing; I'm enjoying the platforming stuff here a lot more than I did there though.

bakumatsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By bakumatsu

@Artemesia said:

You can. Just plug that baby with the usb cable and choose the Xbox 360 controller option on MotionInJoy and presto! And used for a very long time before buying a xbox controller.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By BeachThunder

You can rebind keys :o

From the Steam forums:

Contrary to what I have seen posted here, you CAN rebind the keys for the game. In-game, hit the 'o' key and then on the menu screen hit the keypad icon near the top of the screen. This brings up the 'Move' section. On that menu hit the scythe icon almost directly below the gamepad icon you clicked previosuly. From there you can rebind your keys. Hope that helps!

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#28  Edited By JoeyRavn

You guys can play the game.

I have to wait till next week.

I hate you guys.

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By SamStrife

@JoeyRavn: Have you bought it on Steam from the EU? If so there is a way you can play it early...

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#30  Edited By Tennmuerti

@JoeyRavn: Same situation. I'll try out some proxies to unlock it after work.

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By SamStrife

@JoeyRavn: @Tennmuerti: Spotflux would help you guys out a lot.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#32  Edited By Marz

I like the feel of the combat alot better already than the first game, something about Death's speed and agility is just satisfying. And i would have to agree, the soundtrack is pretty awesome so far.... I guess it's Jesper Kyd(assassin's creed dude) who composed it?

As far as PC specific issues, i forced AA through Nvidia Control Panel and it makes it look alot better.

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By SamStrife

Also I'm having an issue and maybe you guys here will be able to help me. I can't seem to toggle the world map overlay on/off. I press the A button on my 360 pad but nothing ever seems to trigger. There was a tool tip about fast traveling out of a dungeon but I haven't seemed to be able to do this yet. Is this an issue with the game or am I missing a mechanic (I think the game said something about designated points in the dungeons being used for fast travel)?

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#34  Edited By JoeyRavn

@SamStrife said:

The first world problem is that I'm waiting for THQ to send me the keys, so even if I could activate the game, I don't have what to activate :(

Life is tough, duders.

(I'll check that program, though)

Edit: Oh, shit. This is like a VPN, but totally easier to use! I can finally buy games in dollars and pay in Euros! Woohoo!

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By SamStrife

@JoeyRavn: That's a shame, yeah you may be fresh out of luck with that one.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By phrosnite

First game didn't have many options too but I didn't care at all because it looked gorgeous. Also I play games on 1280x1024(native) and 1280x960(dota 2 borderless window).

altairre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By altairre

@Artemesia said:

Huh? Why not? I plan to do that.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Wemibelle

@SamStrife said:

Also I'm having an issue and maybe you guys here will be able to help me. I can't seem to toggle the world map overlay on/off. I press the A button on my 360 pad but nothing ever seems to trigger. There was a tool tip about fast traveling out of a dungeon but I haven't seemed to be able to do this yet. Is this an issue with the game or am I missing a mechanic (I think the game said something about designated points in the dungeons being used for fast travel)?

I'm having this same problem. It definitely feels like something is not working or is outright missing.

Robo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Robo

It's fun and the story already seems enjoyable like an hour in. Plus there's loot, and I'm a sucker for a decent loot treadmill.

The lack of higher graphical settings is a bit shitty, as is the lack of higher res textures. Especially so when you consider all the talk from THQ about a separate PC version being developed alongside the console versions. This really seems like a port. A decent one so far, but a port.

Heltom92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Heltom92

Arghhh why are they making us wait an extra week in Europe!?

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By SamStrife

I'd also like to say that the game has really surprised me in terms of character interaction and story depth already. Though I will say if you're not deep into the extended universe it might confuse you a little. It throws its own terminology round quite a bit and even I was confused when you meet Thane in the Maker's village.

I was convinced it was the guy from the first Darksiders until Karn mentioned Ulthane leaving the planet/realm they're currently on. Maybe him and Thane are brothers or something, I don't know, seems needlessly confusing otherwise.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#42  Edited By impartialgecko

@Artemesia said:

Damn really? I was going to get the PC version and that's my only PC gamepad option. Looks like the PS3 version is for me then.

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By SamStrife

@wemibelec90 said:

@SamStrife said:

I'm having this same problem. It definitely feels like something is not working or is outright missing.

Someone on the Steam forums have just posted that it's not A at all (despite what the game says) it's click left thumbstick.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#44  Edited By Humanity

@SamStrife said:

Thank you...thank you ;_; ..

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By SamStrife

@Humanity: You get it working? :p

No problem duder.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#46  Edited By Humanity

@SamStrife: Actually nothing to do with Darksiders 2 but I've been looking for an easy way to get Pandora working at work.

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By SamStrife

@Humanity: Well if it helps you out one way or the other then it was worth posting.

lethalki11ler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#48  Edited By lethalki11ler

@mosdl: Hey what's your PC config? Just wondering because of the 140 FPS, want to know if the game is very optimized or you just own a killer PC or both.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By korwin

@LethalKi11ler said:

@mosdl: Hey what's your PC config? Just wondering because of the 140 FPS, want to know if the game is very optimized or you just own a killer PC or both.

The Darksiders engine doesn't take a whole lot to run. The original game would run at a solid 60 frames per second at 3600x1920 (3x24" monitors) on a single HD5870.

Bummer about the shonky option-less PC job though.

bunnymud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By bunnymud

I pumped my resolution way up but I feel the graphics are.....off. I hope it is some setting but everything just looks jagged. Hope it is a driver issue or something. Also, I cannot use a controller at all. Is there an option somewhere I need to turn on because I see no controller setting in options.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.