Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Daryl F. Gates' Police Quest: SWAT

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Sep 30, 1995

Are you a comedian? Knock off the funny business, get focused, and enter a mustache-laden world in this 1995 FMV game from Sierra.

Random PC Game - Police Quest: Swat

Schattenjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Schattenjager

I have to say I'm kind of worried about this one. This game is awful... and boring. I can hardly believe they picked an FMV game that isn't an adventure. I only hope that Vinny and Dave find some way to make it funny.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#2  Edited By alistercat

It certainly wont be an adventure spanning a couple of hours where they explore all the features and their fond memories. It can still be entertaining and adds variety. I am most interested in this feature because I get to see games I've never heard of presented by people who have.

Schattenjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Schattenjager

@AlisterCat: I guess I just want them to present lesser known games that are actually worth playing. All the others, while I had never played them, seemed like decent games. Considering the catalog of Sierra games, it is hard for me to understand the choice. Alas, I might just want someone to finally validate my love of the Gabriel Knight series and graphic adventures in general. I guess they'll be able to make it entertaining, though.

chilibean_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By chilibean_3

I'm looking forward to it. The only reason I even recognize the name of this game are the few very quick references during Bombcasts and such.

These videos have been awesome since my first PC games were Half Life, Warcraft 2 and Starcraft. All received on the same Christmas day. It's been a pretty cool to see some of the older games being played as well as getting a brief history of them.

lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By lockwoodx

Most of the random PC games have been crap so far because they were deep PC games that took hours to get past a tutorial. That's what has always bridged the gap between console and PC gamers, the amount of social interaction between game and player.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By Video_Game_King

Is it at least the good kind of awful?

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Jimbo

Two to the body, one to the head. Aimed shots, no double taps. Put 'em on safe and let 'em hang! I think 'awful' is an overstatement, and the amount they'll fuck it up (it's VERY easy to fuck things up) it probably won't be boring either. PQ Swat is an interesting curio, if a bit of a development cul-de-sac.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jimbo

Note, however, that showing the original version of PQ1 was the best way to solve this puzzle, so they miss out on a few points.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#9  Edited By ArbitraryWater

If anything, it looks like the bad FMV game I've wanted them to do for a while. Really, I think they're just trying their best to not just do a bunch of old RPGs that only weirdos like me care about.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By GreggD

@Video_Game_King said:

It's FMV.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By alternate

should have done SWAT 3

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#12  Edited By Dagbiker

I have no clue what you are talking about, SWAT is great. and im not talking about the new ones.

@Video_Game_King said:

Its great, you lose and you get yelled at and kicked off the force, you win and you get yelled at and a 2week suspension.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#13  Edited By Video_Game_King

@ArbitraryWater said:

If anything, it looks like the bad FMV game I've wanted them to do for a while. Really, I think they're just trying their best to not just do a bunch of old RPGs that only weirdos like me care about.

Like Temple of Elemental Evil?

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By FrankCanada97

Should have done any Police Quest instead of this. Although, I am looking forward to seeing Betty White with a handgun.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Dagbiker

@FrankCanada97 said:

Should have done any Police Quest instead of this. Although, I am looking forward to seeing Betty White with a handgun.

Im calling Shenanigans, your not even a member.

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By FrankCanada97

@Dagbiker said:

@FrankCanada97 said:

Im calling Shenanigans, your not even a member.

That was more of me just reminiscing than anything else.

PiltdownMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By PiltdownMan

@Buzzkill said:

Most of the random PC games have been crap so far because they were deep PC games that took hours to get past a tutorial. That's what has always bridged the gap between console and PC gamers, the amount of social interaction between game and player.

Most of the PC games they've covered so far have been awesome because they remind me of my time with them. They were a lot further into Baldur's Gate than I ever got because I kind of gave up on it around the time I got to the inn, I may be misremembering the first game with the second, but I never really got into those. I had tons of fun playing No Remorse with my friends hot seat style (you switched out when you died). That's nothing to say about Daggerfall! So many people refer to the Elder Scrolls games as Oblivion that it is sickening. They have been buggy since at least Daggerfall, I never played Arena so I don't know how open or buggy that was but Daggerfall was a beautiful disaster. I had a friend who actually tried to complete the story quest, I don't rember if he did or not but he told me about dungeons on the quest lines that seemed to be randomly generated (not on every try but just to populate the world) that had doors that led to walls and dead ends that made completing the game nearly impossible. Just look at the patch notes for that game and you will see that Bethesda has come a long way in their open world games from Daggerfall to Fallout 3.

Younger gamers need to be exposed to this kind of stuff because without their acceptance of this kind of torture innovation will not happen we will see old franchises revived again and again made into first person shooters. I'm not sure how Master of Magic will hold up in that genre. But I guess if that is what you kids want, it's what you'll get.

I'm a little interested to see this game since I never played it when it was out. I was stuck on a Mac, and while I think it was maybe out on that system I was probably busy playing Journeyman Project and Marathon being maybe being 14 or 15 at the time. Hell Doom II may have been out on the Mac by then. God I loved moving to the PC.

bwmcmaste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By bwmcmaste

@Dagbiker said:

I have no clue what you are talking about, SWAT is great. and im not talking about the new ones.

@Video_Game_King said:

Its great, you lose and you get yelled at and kicked off the force, you win and you get yelled at and a 2week suspension.

I loved playing SWAT2.

Sure, I have your armored car waiting outside, why don't you just walk on out and take it? Oh, don't mind those guys on the rooftop over there... they're birdwatchers.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jams

@Jimbo said:

Two to the body, one to the head. Aimed shots, no double taps. Put 'em on safe and let 'em hang!

Wow that brings back memories. I hope they remember to slice the pie and not let that old lady shoot them in the first mission.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Dagbiker

Adjust for wind

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Vexxan
    @GreggD said:

@Video_Game_King said:

It's FMV.

FMV games can't possibly go wrong.
    Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Funkydupe

I need SWAT 5. Nao.

RobertOrri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By RobertOrri

They have to play the game long enough to get to the deranged grandma with the gun. They must.

Still_I_Cry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24  Edited By Still_I_Cry

@Buzzkill: I usually play console games and I don't mind long tutorials.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Dagbiker

@Still_I_Cry said:

@Buzzkill: I usually play console games and I don't mind long tutorials.

tutorials of yore are not as tutorials of today, today they are integrated into the story/game much more seamlessly then 10 years ago.

Still_I_Cry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26  Edited By Still_I_Cry

@Dagbiker:Are you talking about PC tutorials or console Tutorials?

And why are you bringing up tutorials of PC games from a decade or longer ago?

I would think that the discussion/bridge would change as games evolve, which they have.

So, tutorials in PC games aren't as dull as they used to be is your point?

Homeslice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Homeslice

Oh MAN I hope they screw up the mission with the old lady.

Slice the pie.

lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By lockwoodx
    @PiltdownMan said:

@Buzzkill said:

Most of the PC games they've covered so far have been awesome because they remind me of my time with them. They were a lot further into Baldur's Gate than I ever got because I kind of gave up on it around the time I got to the inn, I may be misremembering the first game with the second, but I never really got into those. I had tons of fun playing No Remorse with my friends hot seat style (you switched out when you died). That's nothing to say about Daggerfall! So many people refer to the Elder Scrolls games as Oblivion that it is sickening. They have been buggy since at least Daggerfall, I never played Arena so I don't know how open or buggy that was but Daggerfall was a beautiful disaster. I had a friend who actually tried to complete the story quest, I don't rember if he did or not but he told me about dungeons on the quest lines that seemed to be randomly generated (not on every try but just to populate the world) that had doors that led to walls and dead ends that made completing the game nearly impossible. Just look at the patch notes for that game and you will see that Bethesda has come a long way in their open world games from Daggerfall to Fallout 3.

Younger gamers need to be exposed to this kind of stuff because without their acceptance of this kind of torture innovation will not happen we will see old franchises revived again and again made into first person shooters. I'm not sure how Master of Magic will hold up in that genre. But I guess if that is what you kids want, it's what you'll get.

I'm a little interested to see this game since I never played it when it was out. I was stuck on a Mac, and while I think it was maybe out on that system I was probably busy playing Journeyman Project and Marathon being maybe being 14 or 15 at the time. Hell Doom II may have been out on the Mac by then. God I loved moving to the PC.

If they want to expose this the correct way, they should pick up a working 3do. I've got over 150 games for my 3do and despite the fact it was a crappy system back in the day, it is bar none the best way to show off old PC games to my friends now. No need to keep an old rig maintained, or any special hookups. 90% of the 3do games are just old PC games anyways, and you even get to use a controller. 

Blundering through these titles like they doing now is not only cumbersome but doesn't make for good watching. At least with the 3do you can rip on how bad the console was if the game you picked is a dud.
    GeneralDAS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#29  Edited By GeneralDAS

Yes, this game is pretty bad, but it's a game I grew up on. Hopefully they won't take it too seriously. Unless they remember what they're supposed to do, I suspect they'll be asking the chat or looking up walkthroughs, as this game is near impossible to figure out on a first go. The best thing about this game is messing around and intentionally screwing up everything, Ex: throwing flashbangs on a hostage, shooting the hostage, shooting your teammates, doing dynamic entries when it should be stealth. The possibilities are endless, and practically every action has its own unique FMV. I'm sure and hope they SAVE-IT! often, which is not only necessary, but useful for trying every possible thing.

Chainclaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Chainclaw

I hope they don't abandon old FMV games until they get a chance to play some Total Distortion. This is one of the most insane PC games you'll ever see, here's the game over screen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOgoalnC5s8

scraz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By scraz

How long till the archive is up?Last one took 5 days...

Roger778

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Roger778

I might watch this. It sounds interesting.

OldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By OldGuy

It was... amazing... for an encore they should fire up Falcon 3 and try to play without reading the manual. :-)

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Dagbiker

i wish they would do these ether 12 pst Thursdays, or 9 pst friday.

Homeslice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Homeslice

It already happened? I thought it was happening at 12? So they do their times in EST now? Or it's set to whatever time zone I happen to be in, or anyone happens to be in?

nick_verissimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#36  Edited By nick_verissimo

@Homeslice: Yep, It's for whatever time zone you're in.

Homeslice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Homeslice
    @nick_verissimo: Shoot. I guess I've outsmarted myself once again. Well, hopefully it's archived really soon.

They should play the old point-and-clicks. And the Space Quest games.
    chilibean_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By chilibean_3

So yeah. It was kind of a train wreck. Maybe it will be an enjoyable train wreck for you!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.