Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

DC Universe

Franchise »

DC is the franchise that brought us great heroes such as Superman, Batman, and the Flash.

DC to reboot their universe. Do you care?

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By damswedon

DC announced today that along with same day digital comics, they are going to completely reboot their universe and there seem to be two camps developing in the comic community; 

• Those who hate it because it alienates long time fans.
    • Those who think it will bring in new fans.
    So I was wondering, do people who don't follow comics care at all? Would you be more willing to pick up a DC comic now? 
    (Source if you care about that)
    MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By MikeGosot

I don't care too much about comics, but i will take a look at this "new" universe.

niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By niamahai

When they say reboot, did they mean:

Thomas Wayne as Batman? 
    Pants-wearing  Wonder Woman fucking Aquaman? 
     Superman as the US Govt. secret weapon?  
    Cyborg is finally the best black superhero he was meant to be? 
    Capt. Marvel/Shazam is like Capt. Planet?

They just need consistently good writers imo.  
    Of all DC releases (aside from Vertigo), the ones i enjoy most have are Secret Six & LEGION. 
    Most of the mainstream ones are really convoluted, unless you have been reading them for the past 5 years. 

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By donchipotle

Does this reboot include the cancellation of all things Batman? Because that would be fantastic.

niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By niamahai
    @VelvetLore04 said:
    Does this reboot include the cancellation of all things Batman? Because that would be fantastic.
    but.. Batman & Robin/ Detective Comics/ Batman Inc. is kinda good... 
    MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MikeGosot

I like Batman Beyond, actually. But Batman Inc., Batman Motors, Batman Candy & Stuff, and all this type of shit must be cancelled.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By Marz

Only if the Joker is Batman.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ShaggE

Sure, need to keep the convolution down somehow, after all. 

Besides, my favorite part of any super hero story is when they first become heroes. (and by "any super hero story" I mean Batman and Deadpool... only comics I read, really)  

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By donchipotle
    @niamahai said:
    @VelvetLore04 said:

I hate Batman is the thing.  Quality of his comics aside, I just hate the guy and would not miss him if DC decided to just....leave him out.
    Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By KaosAngel

What fucking Crysis will they think of now? 

They already had the Final Crysis....what's more final than the Final Crysis?

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#11  Edited By Icemael

I can't say that I care. I'll just ignore it, just like I've been ignoring all the other fucked-up shit that's been done to classic comic book superheroes recently (redesigns, deaths, alternate versions and so on and so forth ad nauseam).

kingclaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By kingclaw

Yeah, they have cover it on ComicVine  btw

No Caption Provided
    That new Superman looks awesome.
    And Batman looks  the same. Thats a good thing.
    MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MikeGosot
    @VelvetLore04 said:
    @niamahai said:
    @VelvetLore04 said:
     I hate Batman is the thing.  Quality of his comics aside, I just hate the guy and would not miss him if DC decided to just....leave him out.

Yeah, Aquaman is way more awesome.
    niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By niamahai
    @VelvetLore04 said:
    @niamahai said:
    @VelvetLore04 said:
    wait.. we talking bout Dick Grayson-Batman or Bruce Wayne-Batman?   
    ok now i understand the hate for Batman.

@KaosAngel said:
    What fucking Crysis will they think of now?  They already had the Final Crysis....what's more final than the Final Crysis?
    sup fool! in case you didn't know, there this event called 'Flashpoint' going on now. Basically theres a tear in the time stream continuum (again) and made Wonder Woman wears pants and conquer England as the new homeland for the Amazons. Also Bruce Wayne was killed and Thomas Wayne puts on teh Batsuit to avenge him. It all makes sense. Kinda. I don't know. I just read teh funny books for funz.
    Legxend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Legxend

I'm hoping the current universe continues in some shape or form because a lot of good stuff has been happening recently and it would be a shame to cut it short. That being said when the reboot happens I'll start picking up issues rather than trades.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MikeGosot

Also, Aquaman needs a mustache.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By KaosAngel
    @niamahai: Don't steal my catch phrases, also thank you for explaining what's going on DC's clusterfuck plotlines atm.
    kingclaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By kingclaw
    @niamahai said:

@KaosAngel said:

What fucking Crysis will they think of now?  They already had the Final Crysis....what's more final than the Final Crysis?
    sup fool! in case you didn't know, there this event called 'Flashpoint' going on now. Basically theres a tear in the time stream continuum (again) and made Wonder Woman wears pants and conquer England as the new homeland for the Amazons. Also Bruce Wayne was killed and Thomas Wayne puts on teh Batsuit to avenge him. It all makes sense. Kinda. I don't know. I just read teh funny books for funz.
    But that's just an alternate timeline right? We are going to see the real changes until september. Or that is what I undertood. 
    But I don´t read comics anymore.
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By mordukai
    @KaosAngel said:
    Final Final Crisis. btw, I think it's rather amusing the way you spelt crysis
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Mordukai: Oh shit, I don't even notice that anymore.  I seriously got it drilled into my head that's how you spell crysis. 

EDIT:  Shit, I mean crisis.  Wow...not even my iPhone corrects it anymore.
    SeanFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SeanFoster

I would like them going back to Batman being solo. I don't mind Dick Grayson, but currently there's a whole army of people defending Gotham. 

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By mordukai
    @KaosAngel: I did it the other day. My wife had to point it out to me. 
    hinderk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By hinderk

I'm more of a marvel guy, so I don't really care. 

niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By niamahai
    @kingclaw said:
    @niamahai said:

@KaosAngel said:

But that's just an alternate timeline right? We are going to see the real changes until september. Or that is what I undertood.  But I don´t read comics anymore.
    Pretty much.   

Its just DC marketing spin of "HEY FUCKERS! LETS TRY TO MAKE OUR SHIT APPEALING AGAIN! NO UNDIES SUPES! PANTS WONDER WOMAN! BUT SHE STILL GOT THE BUST!" 

Compare to Marvel's character re-design, Jim Lee seems like he is still stuck in the 90s imo.
    Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I don't.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By Brendan

The overall plot of superhero comics have gone up their own asses so many times over the past 50 odd years that I no longer care.  Why should anyone care?  Nothing is meaningful.  Some of the superhero movies out there are good fun as controlled plots for origin stories, but the current state of American superhero comics is nowhere I want to be.  

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By donchipotle
    @MikeGosot said:
    @VelvetLore04 said:
    @niamahai said:
    @VelvetLore04 said:
     Yeah, Aquaman is way more awesome.
    No one even brought up Aquaman. Plus he is probably the most needlessly hated character in the DC Universe. There are plenty of DC characters to hate. Aquaman isn't one of them.
    damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By damswedon
    @kingclaw: I didn't notice this before but when did the Green Lantern learn how to make FUCKING MINIGUNS with his ring? 

I should of said but I'm in the well fuck this camp. I'm not crazy invested but the books I like are in the second tier and are probably going to get ripped apart.
    BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By BraveToaster

Not that I'm an avid comic reader, but I don't think this is a good mood. 

TooSweet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By TooSweet

They just did an Ultimate to the DCU. I love DC comics. But I only buy collected versions at my age cause those single issues and boxes are ridiculous. I do like how the collected stuff looks on my shelves. While I hate to see all this awesome history and stuff go such as JSA, Birds of Prey, Secret Six, Booster Gold (he may be the exception to change), Legion of Superheroes (also may be an exception) I hope they don't change too many things. 

As a kid I read DC comics here and there but really started to pay attention while in High School. I bought the back issues of Crisis and was blown away. Loved it. Teen Titans and Deathstroke the Terminator were awesome. So a reboot to bring in new people is a welcoming thing. But I'll miss what has happened. But that's the world of comics. While I'm noticing parents bringing their kids to the comic shop lately which is what the industry needs the fans are getting old and not much new readers out there.

kingclaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By kingclaw
    @damswedon said:
    @kingclaw: I didn't notice this before but when did the Green Lantern learn how to make FUCKING MINIGUNS with his ring?  
    I don't know, I never red DC, But have you seen the trailers of the movie coming this year?
    He totally can do it there.
    Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

I think its too early to reboot anything in the DC universe or should I say too late?  The Green Lantern Blackest Night event should of been the time to do it.   I think Marvel needs a reboot.
    flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#33  Edited By flaminghobo

One of the reasons I never got into comic books was the overly-convoluted storyline and general unfriendly nature to new readers. If this reboot is done right this could spur a brand new interest in comics worldwide. Definitely looking to see how this turns out!

niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By niamahai
    @SethPhotopoulos said:
    I think its too early to reboot anything in the DC universe or should I say too late?  The Green Lantern Blackest Night event should of been the time to do it.   I think Marvel needs a reboot.
    eh technically they are having a soft reboot atm. 
    *brace for comic nerd info*  

Capt America - Back to Steve Rogers. Bucky currently in Russian prison ala COD:BO.

FF - now its called Future Foundation because.. they more than 4 dudes. Current plot involves Dr Doom tag teaming with Reed's daughter to defeat evil multiple Reed's from different dimensions. In case you didn't know, Human Torch 'died' and Spidey joined the team.

Spider-Man - ...Forever alone...  (some silly plot about EVERYONE GONNA HAVE SPIDEY POWERZ) and oya he lost spider sense 

Daredevil - After being possessed by a demon and building a pagoda in the middle of NY and being overthrown by a bunch of other heroes, DD is back to being DD. oya Black Panther was looking after Hell Kitchen for about 8 issues 

X-men - something about Cyclops and Wolverine going at it. Splitting the already spitted X-men even more. 

Hulk - Betty Ross is now a Red Hulk. So is General Ross. Go figure. 

Hercules - After being ... resurrected, he lost all his godly powers and is being force to live in Lil' Italy @ NY. Kinda good title tbh. 

Thor - Annual cross-title event going on centering on him atm. Daddy issues mostly. 

Red Skull - Currently its the Red Skull's daughter. Also suffering from daddy issues. 

Avengers - Depends which flavour of Avengers you want. You want New, Secret, Academy or just Regular.  They are pretty good compare to DC's JL/JSA/TT.

Venom - By far the best imo. Flash Thompson (lost his legs @ Iraq War) is Venom. Property of US Govt. Venom imbued to selected USMC individual to undergo secret mission. Mostly involves blowing stuff up. Its only 3 issues in so far, so if you want to get back into mainstream Marvel, this is the one to go for. 

Deadpool - At press time, the most over saturated Marvel character. 
    Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#35  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

Start releasing things on the iPad on their street dates and you might get me into comics. There have always been two things holding me back; 1. I'm not going to a comic store and 2. Where the fuck would I start? Issue 600? A reboot solves problem number 2.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
    @niamahai said:
    @SethPhotopoulos said:
    eh technically they are having a soft reboot atm. *brace for comic nerd info*  Capt America - Back to Steve Rogers. Bucky currently in Russian prison ala COD:BO. FF - now its called Future Foundation because.. they more than 4 dudes. Current plot involves Dr Doom tag teaming with Reed's daughter to defeat evil multiple Reed's from different dimensions. In case you didn't know, Human Torch 'died' and Spidey joined the team. Spider-Man - ...Forever alone...  (some silly plot about EVERYONE GONNA HAVE SPIDEY POWERZ) and oya he lost spider sense  Daredevil - After being possessed by a demon and building a pagoda in the middle of NY and being overthrown by a bunch of other heroes, DD is back to being DD. oya Black Panther was looking after Hell Kitchen for about 8 issues   X-men - something about Cyclops and Wolverine going at it. Splitting the already spitted X-men even more.  Hulk - Betty Ross is now a Red Hulk. So is General Ross. Go figure.  Hercules - After being ... resurrected, he lost all his godly powers and is being force to live in Lil' Italy @ NY. Kinda good title tbh.  Thor - Annual cross-title event going on centering on him atm. Daddy issues mostly.  Red Skull - Currently its the Red Skull's daughter. Also suffering from daddy issues.  Avengers - Depends which flavour of Avengers you want. You want New, Secret, Academy or just Regular.  They are pretty good compare to DC's JL/JSA/TT. Venom - By far the best imo. Flash Thompson (lost his legs @ Iraq War) is Venom. Property of US Govt. Venom imbued to selected USMC individual to undergo secret mission. Mostly involves blowing stuff up. Its only 3 issues in so far, so if you want to get back into mainstream Marvel, this is the one to go for.  Deadpool - At press time, the most over saturated Marvel character. 

I mean do what DC did and just make another universe and make that the main and then slowly fade out the old universe.  They should have done it with the Ultimate universe but then Ultimatum happened and kind of ruined that.
    damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By damswedon
    @Rolyatkcinmai said:
    Start releasing things on the iPad on their street dates and you might get me into comics.
    That is the only good news out of this thing.
    BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#38  Edited By BabyChooChoo

The reason I never got into comics in the first place is that, unlike manga, there's like 40 different versions of any given hero. I mean, for example, if I wanted to get into Superman, where do I start? As far as I know, there isn't just one definitive Superman comic. There's a million, each with a different take on the main hero. I just don't like that because it always feels like I'm missing something. Like I'm not getting the full story. I doubt that'll change much with this reboot, but if it does then I may get into comics.

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By FreakAche

Sounds kind of cool. I always meant to get into comics, but they always seemed to convoluted and crazy as a result of decades of retcons and rewrites.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By MikeGosot
    @VelvetLore04: I was just kidding when i said something about Aquaman. After all, someone needs to care about Aquaman.
    niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By niamahai
    @PrimeSynergy said:
    The reason I never got into comics in the first place is that, unlike manga, there's like 40 different versions of any given hero. I mean, for example, if I wanted to get into Superman, where do I start? As far as I know, there isn't just one definitive Superman comic. There's a million, each with a different take on the main hero. I just don't like that because it always feels like I'm missing something. Like I'm not getting the full story. I doubt that'll change much with this reboot, but if it does then I may get into comics.
    i think as you grow older Vertigo's title would interest you more. 

Granted some of them are extremely vulgar and depressing to read.
    landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By landon
    @niamahai:  Spidey is on the FF team, but he is still doing stuff in his own comic? This is the stuff that confuses me about comics.
    niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By niamahai
    @Landon said:
    @niamahai:  Spidey is on the FF team, but he is still doing stuff in his own comic? This is the stuff that confuses me about comics.
    pretty much.  
    he is also on 2 avengers team. 

yes. western comics are huge cross-promotion bullshit.
    ocdog45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#44  Edited By ocdog45
    @damswedon: I don't care about comic books but I do car ethe revamp the servers back on DC Universe. the community is so low all the except for the pvp rooms.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @VelvetLore04 said:
    @niamahai said:
    @VelvetLore04 said:
    Detective Comics
    TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By TheFreeMan

I haven't read much DC, but still, their heroes are so iconic at this point that I don't expect this to be very well received. Then again, I haven't read many superhero comics lately, at least not since Loeb fucked up the Ultimate Universe with Ultimatum. Thanks, jerk. 

There's always Invincible, at least, and all the old stuff I've never read.

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#47  Edited By Bones8677

DC has done this like three times now, they only succeeded the one time back in the 80s. If they're like Marvel, they'll realize it's too hard and give up.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#48  Edited By JJOR64

Not really a fan of comics so I could care less.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.