Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead Rising 2

Game » consists of 18 releases. Released Sep 02, 2010

Dead Rising 2 is a third-person action-adventure survival horror game that takes place five years after the end of the original Dead Rising, moving its zombie apocalypse setting into the glamorous Fortune City.

Any reason not to get the PC version?

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Hunkulese

It looks like it's a GFWL so I'll have achievements on my gamertag either way, It fully supports the 360 controller, It's $20 cheaper, and it will probably look a lot better. Seems like there's really no reason not to get it on the PC. I also use my laptop for gaming so can easily hook it up to my tv if I want to. 

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By LordXavierBritish

That's been bothering me actually, why is it $20 cheaper?

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By eroticfishcake

There's a PC version? Anyone know what the specs are then?

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By EpicSteve

I might be making this up, but don't Capcom games have a bad rep for their PC ports?

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Hunkulese
    @LordXavierBritish: Yeah I'm a little worried about that. I'm hoping it doesn't mean it's just a half-assed port that's going to run like shit.
    dogbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By dogbox

Capcom's been getting better, for sure. Street Fighter IV and Resident Evil 5 seemed pretty much identical on PC. If that trend continues with Dead Rising I will definitely be getting it on Steam!

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Seedofpower
    @EpicSteve said:
    " I might be making this up, but don't Capcom games have a bad rep for their PC ports? "
    I wouldn't call them bad. I got the Street fighter port and for the most part it was alright. Though I had a 360 controller.
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#8  Edited By Yummylee

If your PC can run it smoothly, I don't see why not.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Hunkulese
    @eroticfishcake said:

" There's a PC version? Anyone know what the specs are then? "

System Requirements

• Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 Ghz or better, AMD Athlon X2 2.2 Ghz or better
      • Memory: 2 GB RAM
      • Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® 8800GTS or better, ATI Radeon™ HD 3850 or better
      • DirectX®: DirectX® 9.0c and DirectX® 10 (Enhanced for: DirectX 10, 64-bit, multi-core)
      • Hard Drive: 8.5 GB free hard drive space
      • Sound: Standard audio device
    CoverlessTech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By CoverlessTech
    @LordXavierBritish said:
    " That's been bothering me actually, why is it $20 cheaper? "
    Steam has it for $39.99.
    71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By 71Ranchero
    @EpicSteve said:
    " I might be making this up, but don't Capcom games have a bad rep for their PC ports? "
    They were really bad at one point but they have been making an effort to fix that. Modern Capcom games are much much better.
    eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By eroticfishcake
    @Hunkulese: I'm gonna assume that's the minimum requirements then? That looks pretty good then. I'd imagine the recommended will require about 30-40% extra oomph in the graphics, memory and processor departments but considering the nature of the game that's good. Cheers mate!
    alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#13  Edited By alistercat
    defaulttag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By defaulttag
    @Hunkulese: What are your laptop specs? If your laptop can play with high graphical settings, then go for it. 
    JamesBoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By JamesBoyce

Only thing I see you missing out on is the coop/multiplayer stuff with your friends if they're getting it on console.  Besides that, I'd definitely go for it - Capcom's PC ports are pretty great actually, so why not?

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By Mcfart

I have a 8800GT and a C2D E6400 2.1 GHZ (OC to 3 GHZ), so ima wait to hear how it runs before buying on PC. Otherwise I'll spend an extra 20 clams to buy on xbox.

L33tfella_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17  Edited By L33tfella_H
    @EpicSteve said:
    @Atramentous said:
    " @EpicSteve said:
    They were really bad at one point but they have been making an effort to fix that. Modern Capcom games are much much better. "
    That's because Capcom themselves never actually ported their games to PC before 2007. it was always a 3rd party studio. You could say it was their fault for allowing such horrible ports to happen, but they weren't directly responsible for them.

DMC4/Lost Planet were the first proper PC ports actually done by Capcom's PC team if memory serves, and they're not bad ports. Bionic Commando and Dark Void were GRIN and Airtight, and those were kinda shaky.

Not sure who's doing the DR2 port to PC, whether it's Capcom's PC team or Blue Castle Games. So it could go either way.
    71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By 71Ranchero
    @L33tfella_H said:
    " @EpicSteve said:
    @Atramentous said:
    " @EpicSteve said:
    They were really bad at one point but they have been making an effort to fix that. Modern Capcom games are much much better. "
    That's because Capcom themselves never actually ported their games to PC before 2007. it was always a 3rd party studio. You could say it was their fault for allowing such horrible ports to happen, but they weren't directly responsible for them.  DMC4/Lost Planet were the first proper PC ports actually done by Capcom's PC team if memory serves, and they're not bad ports. Bionic Commando and Dark Void were GRIN and Airtight, and those were kinda shaky.   Not sure who's doing the DR2 port to PC, whether it's Capcom's PC team or Blue Castle Games. So it could go either way. "
    True. Whoever was doing the ports back then should have been shut down. I still remember DMC3 and all the keyboard shortcuts you had to use just to get the game to shut down. 
    L33tfella_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By L33tfella_H
    @Atramentous:  You can thank Ubisoft for getting a licensing deal from Capcom and just shipping off the dev duties to some South Korean developer for god knows what reason :)
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By Animasta

well, capcom's latest ports are good because the engine they use is built on the PC first, then ported to the consoles.

of course, DR2 is using a different engine, so who knows what will happen :P

Avatar image for atomic_tangerine
    Atomic_Tangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Atomic_Tangerine

Ya, I guess the PC version is the one to get!  I'll still probably get it for my 360 as it isn't the kind of game that benefits from a mouse and keyboard.  I have to share the computer, but I have a 2 360s hooked up in the house, so less sharing!

vigorousjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 41

#22  Edited By vigorousjammer

If Blue Castle Games is doing the port, then I'm not sure of their track record... so it could go either way.
    I'm also not sure if the PC version will be getting any of the DLC... if you care about any of that.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By Diamond

The $20 off thing probably doesn't mean anything, but a Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz minimum requirement?

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MrKlorox

I'm torn between getting it on PC and being able to import my data from Case Zero.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By alistercat
    @Vigorousjammer said:
    " If Blue Castle Games is doing the port, then I'm not sure of their track record... so it could go either way.I'm also not sure if the PC version will be getting any of the DLC... if you care about any of that. "
    The steam manual mentions a DLC option in the menu for the PC version. GFWL supports DLC now, but there's not a ton of it. In any case it's just for costumes.
    Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Gizmo
    @Diamond said:
    " The $20 off thing probably doesn't mean anything, but a Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz minimum requirement? "
    So that's a Quad as recommended then?
    Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Binman88

If it's anything like Capcom's DMC4, RE5 or SFIV, the port will be pretty damn good.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By alistercat
    @Gizmo:  There are no recommended specs, but I guess so. A higher frequency is probbably more important though.
    JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By JoeyRavn
    @Gizmo said:
    " @Diamond said:
    " The $20 off thing probably doesn't mean anything, but a Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz minimum requirement? "
    So that's a Quad as recommended then? "
    I've seen several different sets of requirements for this game. Steam only lists those as "requirements", but nothing on whether they are recommended or minimum. In the Japanese official site they are given some completely different requirements for the game. And here they claim a C2D E7300 is more than enough for the Recommended... The GPU ranges from a 6800 to a GTX260. Lovely.
    PyroMenace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By PyroMenace

Anyone know if the PC game will require Steam?

myslead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By myslead

I guess that the only thing missing is the ported save game from case 0...

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By JoeyRavn
    @PyroMenace said:
    " Anyone know if the PC game will require Steam? "
    Only if you bought it through Steam. It's a Games for Windows Live game, so it uses Microsoft's PC version of Xbox Live for the online validation of the game.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Usually pc games doesn't run well if there is a ton of shit going on in the background, those open world tons of stuff going on works best on a multicore gpu. I'm guessing it's going to be a bit slow unless you upgrade to that. It's all speculation, however capcom have been making really good ports lately for the pc. I hope they don't dissapoint.

SaFt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By SaFt
    @Laketown said:
    " well, capcom's latest ports are good because the engine they use is built on the PC first, then ported to the consoles.  of course, DR2 is using a different engine, so who knows what will happen :P "
    Really? I was under the impression that they were using the MT Framework engine.

I just hope  they'll release a benchmark before it's released.
    Spellbot5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Spellbot5000
    @LordXavierBritish said:
    It's a PC game; they're always cheaper than their console counterparts. Even though console game sell far more than the PC versions, they still charge console gamers more for the same game. Basically console gamers are unfortunately getting screwed.

Heh, and some publishers have spoken about wanting to charge even more for console games. That certainly won't alienate gamers; charging more for something people already feel is overpriced.
    Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#36  Edited By Pinworm45
    @Spellbot5000 said:
    " @LordXavierBritish said:
    It's a PC game; they're always cheaper than their console counterparts. Even though console game sell far more than the PC versions, they still charge console gamers more for the same game. Basically console gamers are unfortunately getting screwed.  Heh, and some publishers have spoken about wanting to charge even more for console games. That certainly won't alienate gamers; charging more for something people already feel is overpriced. "
    PC games are typically 10$ cheaper. This one is 20$. 

It's also not the only one. Darksiders is also 10$ cheaper. 

It's kinda funny how there's a sort of war going on between going higher and going lower. Medal of Honor and CoD going higher, these games going lower (and there's other examples). 

Steam has proven though that charging less for games actually produces significantly more sales that developers would actually make more money charging less for games than more. I think these are the first few examples of that. I'm tempted to buy both even though they're "meh i'd like it but they aren't worth buying" games to me, just out of principle. Hmm..
    wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

I have faith in Capcom ports nowadays. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't fuck this one up....I hope.

Spellbot5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Spellbot5000

I agree that it be $20 cheaper is a bit odd, but who knows. The Japanese are a crafty people, and japanese game developers are often sort of crazy. Maybe the guy who set the price point was in some sort of a fugue state at the time.

"EGAGAAAAAHHHHH!!! We must display more than one million troops on screen!!!! BLLSJSHSSaaaaaaAAAAAAA!! Dead Rising PC must be priced at $39.99999999999999aaahhhhhhhhh!"

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#39  Edited By AndrewB

Hold the phone... it's $20 cheaper on the PC? Damn! I'd rather play it there anyway. Or at least I would if my 360 wireless dongle wasn't a faulty piece of crap where they expect their customers to solder a fuse to get it to work properly. Couldn't see playing this game on anything but a 360 gamepad.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.