Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead Space 2

Game » consists of 18 releases. Released Jan 25, 2011

Dead Space 2 is the sequel to the 2008 surprise hit Dead Space. The no-longer-silent Isaac Clarke finds himself trapped on a city-sized space station called the Sprawl, which has been overtaken by another Necromorph infestation.

Anyone else find it a little short? (minor spoilers)

JTB123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By JTB123

Hey everyone,

Just got done with my first playthrough and absolutely loved it. It came in at a little over 7 hours, and that was with huge amounts of time spent exploring for logs, backtracing to shops and organising inventory. I was expecting it to last longer going by what Brad said on the bombcast.  I'm not complaining about the time, it felt prefect actually, I got that feeling that I was building up to the end at the right time and the ending was awesome. I would much prefer it the way it was rather than them ruining it by dragging it out by another 2 hours. 

Did anyone else expect it to last a little longer?

amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By amir90

When my favorite Norwegian gaming site, said it took him 15 hours to finish it, I went :O

But yeah, I just used a little over 8 hours on normal/survivalist and it seems a descent amount of time, many epic moments and lots of stuff to test out on other playthroughs.

HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By HaltIamReptar

You didn't take the fact that Brad sucks at video games into account when he told you how long it took him?

Vanek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Vanek

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing as I'm at chapter 4 and I've only got 2 hours on the clock.  I've been taking things really slowly as well ...

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By Slaker117

It's really weird. I beat the game first time through in about 7-8 hours too, but it felt a lot longer. Perfectly pleased with that length though. All of it was so good and really well paced. So many awesome moments packed in with solid mechanics, focused artistic direction, and slick production.

admordem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By admordem

Finished tonight on Normal. About 8 and a half hours. Didn't feel short, I was actually impressed they once again kept up the 'HOLY FUCKING SHIT' moments right through. 
    I think much longer, and harder playthroughs would start to get dauntingly long.

I did find this one, while still extremely tense, didn't terrify me as much as the first. Like in the first one, I got this horrible feeling of dread and a ball in my stomach that made at some points made it feel really hard to continue, but pushing on because I wanted to get the F away from where I was. This one had that feeling for the first hour, but either I grew accustomed to that feeling after so many games scaring the shit out of me, or the pacing and tension was balanced a little different to the first. Not completely sure which way it was, but yeh, what a great game.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By onarum

Imo 15 hours is the bare minimum any game should last, less than that and I won't even consider it.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By laserbolts
    @onarum said:
    " Imo 15 hours is the bare minimum any game should last, less than that and I won't even consider it. "
    Then you must not play many newer games.
    amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By amir90
    @onarum: Quality over quantity, this is a 3rd person shooter with some scary moments, this is not dragon age
    Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By Slaker117
    @onarum:  I can understand where that sentiment comes from, but enforcing a stick formula on yourself like that seems asinine. Don't let the dogma prevent you from enjoying good games.
    onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By onarum
    @laserbolts said:
    " @onarum said:
    " Imo 15 hours is the bare minimum any game should last, less than that and I won't even consider it. "
    Then you must not play many newer games. "
    indeed I don't, I also hate this new general consensus that having a 6-8 hours campaign on new games is OK.

I pay a lot of money for my games, ps3 games are 60 dollars on the us, which is already a lot, but by the time they get down here on my shitty country with all the taxes and whatnot I end up paying 80 dollars and up for the same games, so I want some sustenance with that, having a game I can beat in 2 sittings just won't do it for me.
    xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx
    @laserbolts said:
    " @onarum said:
    Then you must not play many newer games. "

Games 10hours easy, turn up the difficulty. 

Worth beating upwards of 5 times, and multiplayer. There's more here than most new games these days .
    Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Spoonman671

I thought it was too long.  I don't know how you beat it in 7 hours without rushing through it.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By laserbolts
    @onarum:   Yeah I agree it sucks how the industry has gone.  6 or 7 hour games for 60 bucks is acceptable when dlc is planned out before development begins.   The more I think asbout it though its always been a huge ripoff to me.  I spent like over $100 on jurassic park rampage edition for sega back in the day.  I almost wish I didn't love gaming so much but sadly I always will. 

@xaLieNxGrEyx:   Yeah I usually just go through on normal the first time through and then i'll play on harder or whatever.  Just sucks that I feel I have to do that sometimes just to get my money worth out of it.
    xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx
    @laserbolts:
    In away I hear ya, but I'm also on the fence about that. I hate when games feel dragged on, and DS2 was dangerously close to that imo. 

I  really don't mind having a 10 hour game to beat 5 times if those are 10 quality hours. Look at demon's souls, game can e beat in under an hour lol 
    Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Chop

I was a bit surprised mostly because all my info on the game comes from Brad. I took around 8 hours or so (on survivalist) and I was going hell of slow. I was looking at environments and checking every corner for items and logs. I have no idea how it possibly took him 12 hours... 

I don't really mind though. I was getting a little burnt out by the end and it finished at a good time. 

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By Akeldama

I thought the length was perfect personally.

raiz265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By raiz265
    @amir90 said:
    " When my favorite Norwegian gaming site, said it took him 15 hours to finish it, I went :O "
    I've always wondered where all those sites get their ridiculous playtimes from...
    drgrumbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By drgrumbles

Took me 6:32 on normal.
    Why did all the reviews say it was the scariest game they ever played?
    I don't think I ever was scared by the cheap jump scares or disturbing images.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By falserelic
    @JTB123: I agree,this game did feel short.I played it on hard mode and beat it in 2 days. 

@drgrumbles: I thought the samething this game wasn't scary at all,but it was sill fun.
    luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By luce

The game is very replayable with multiple difficulties and unlockable suits. 8 hours is fine. 

If it was an "only play it once" type deal than hell no but that doesnt seem like the case.

CarpetRemnant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By CarpetRemnant

I just finished my first playthrough on normal, searched everywhere for nodes and items and it took me just over 9 hours. Gonna jump straight back in.

dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#23  Edited By dtat
    @HaltIamReptar said:
    " You didn't take the fact that Brad sucks at video games into account when he told you how long it took him? "
    Ouch. But yeah I don't know how he spent so long on it. 7 hours for me. And I do not rush through games.
    neoj88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By neoj88
    You guys are finishing this fast.  It's a tad short to me, but I'm didn't finish it nearly as fast as most of you.  i clocked in just a hair over 11 hours.  The first Dead Space from scratch (not new game+) took me 12.
    neoj88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By neoj88
    @drgrumbles said:
    " Took me 6:32 on normal. Why did all the reviews say it was the scariest game they ever played?I don't think I ever was scared by the cheap jump scares or disturbing images. "
    Disturbing images ARE scary.  We're just all so desensitized now that they don't phase most of us.  It doesn't mean it's not scary.  We're just f'd up. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.