Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead Space 2

Game » consists of 18 releases. Released Jan 25, 2011

Dead Space 2 is the sequel to the 2008 surprise hit Dead Space. The no-longer-silent Isaac Clarke finds himself trapped on a city-sized space station called the Sprawl, which has been overtaken by another Necromorph infestation.

Ashamed: Stuck very early on and need help

spacegandhi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 22

#1  Edited By spacegandhi

After weeks of anticipation, replaying the original Dead Space, and sitting through about 4 of those God awful minigames in Ignition I finally started playing Dead Space 2 last night. This, to my horror and shame, ended very early on as I got stuck in the first chapter. 

I am in the Triage Room with the stasis beds before even collecting Isaac's proper armor. This room has both the Hacking and Stasis tutorials in it. After hacking a computer terminal in the Triage Room a large Necromorph falls from the ceiling into a malfunctioning stasis unit. This necoromorph has killed me dozens of times, forcing me to continually suffer both the Hacking segment and the inevitable death. I have shot this thing in the neck, arm and hip joints repeatedly but every time it kills me in one hit. I have full health upon entering this room. I have only succeeded in getting behind the necromorph once, but by then it has exited stasis, turns around and immediately kills me. 

What is most upsetting is the amount of time Isaac takes getting out of his Hacking animation. As I watch the monster run towards me, barreling ever closer, Isaac slowly and methodically removes his hand from the computer, grips his hand and then, after the beast is right on him, I receive control of Isaac. Am I missing something? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated as this room is completely preventing my continued enjoyment of the game. Thanks.

KarlPilkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By KarlPilkington

Use more skill.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By Slaker117

Stasis him then shoot? As long as you don't miss he should die fairly quickly.

nukkajdav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By nukkajdav

Stasis the monster IMMEDIATELY. I had the same issue initially, but you should have time if you complete the hacking fast enough.

sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By sixghost

Shoot it with stasis the instant it gets out of the first stasis. I died here a couple times too.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Sooty

You got stuck at this?! Really?

Weesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Weesh

Good luck have batman.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Ygg said:
    " You got stuck at this?! Really? "
    yes really.. fucking skill elitists 
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By mikemcn
    @Weesh said:

" Good luck have batman. "

I really think Batman could help in this situation. But what difficulty are you on? It shouldn't be able to kill you that fast. 
    Wipeout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By Wipeout

hit it with stasis right away, shoot, then stasis it again, then shoot. 

I had trouble with this part, too.  

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By handlas

its a rather stupid design decision by the devs...I don't blame you.  The necromorph is invincible unless you stasis.  So ignore the couple of jackasses that are mocking you here.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Sooty

I died to it the first time to see if it was any different to a normal 'morph, it was, then I thought oh stasis, boom dead. 

Hardly being elitist, just didn't understand people were getting stuck at what to me, was a trivial part of the game.

GTFan712

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By GTFan712

I hit it with stasis as soon as I saw it, since I just got stasis and was eager to use it. Do use some stasis.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#14  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

Oh yeah thats the monster that one hit kills you. 

Stasis is the key my friend.

Helimocopter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#15  Edited By Helimocopter

aim at necromorph, press Y button, shoot. done.

OmegaChosen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By OmegaChosen

Stasis it immediately.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SSully

I died about 5 times at this part before I got it. Kind of stupid they would ask you to stasis him after he was in stasis, but whatever! 

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By Yanngc33
    @SpaceGandhi: Stasis him as soon as he gets out of his original stasis. Shoot the arms for MASSIVE DAMAGE
    PowerBombYo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By PowerBombYo

Yup, you definitely have to hit it with stasis immediately and then pop a cap. What's funny is that I beat the game already and had no problem with that part the first time. Last night I started a game on Zealot and died over and over right there before figuring it out. I think the fact that the necromorph is in stasis before you do anything is what messes people up.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By artelinarose
    @handlas said:
    " its a rather stupid design decision by the devs...I don't blame you.  The necromorph is invincible unless you stasis.  So ignore the couple of jackasses that are mocking you here. "
    Woah, really?

I understand they are trying to teach you how to stasis, but making it invincible unless you do the thing they want you to is... kinda jerky considering the situation.
    handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By handlas
    @Artemesia said:
    " @handlas said:
    " its a rather stupid design decision by the devs...I don't blame you.  The necromorph is invincible unless you stasis.  So ignore the couple of jackasses that are mocking you here. "
    Woah, really?  I understand they are trying to teach you how to stasis, but making it invincible unless you do the thing they want you to is... kinda jerky considering the situation. "
    ya...it killed me 2 times before I realized I couldn't hurt it until I used stasis.  The problem is that the necromorph suddenly falls out of the ceiling and gets stasised automatically....so why would you want to stasis something that is already stasised?  And second, it's like it makes you learn under fire....you have a necromorph charging at you and a little turtorial pops up ingame next to Isaac that you can barely read that tells you how to use your stasis (yes I have an HD TV).

So I found it pretty stupid as well that you couldn't hurt it without using stasis.  I'm not sure if it is just Zealot but it also kills you in one hit.
    Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By Nux

Never not Stasis, right Zach?
    shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By shiftymagician
    @handlas said:

" @Artemesia said:

" @handlas said:
    Woah, really?  I understand they are trying to teach you how to stasis, but making it invincible unless you do the thing they want you to is... kinda jerky considering the situation. "
    ya...it killed me 2 times before I realized I couldn't hurt it until I used stasis.  The problem is that the necromorph suddenly falls out of the ceiling and gets stasised automatically....so why would you want to stasis something that is already stasised?  And second, it's like it makes you learn under fire....you have a necromorph charging at you and a little turtorial pops up ingame next to Isaac that you can barely read that tells you how to use your stasis (yes I have an HD TV).  So I found it pretty stupid as well that you couldn't hurt it without using stasis.  I'm not sure if it is just Zealot but it also kills you in one hit. "
    It happens in all difficulty settings unfortunately.  The stasis wears off shortly after your animation from the hacking, implying that you should stasis again.  They didn't do a great job in that little instance in my opinion, even though I only died once to that when I clearly shot at its arms a couple of times.  Fail to stasis it and suffer an instant kill regardless of your health level.
    MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#24  Edited By MildMolasses

This section is the greatest failure of the otherwise awesome UI. At the moment the monster is heading towards you, there is a message telling you to use the stasis power. Obviously no one is looking at this because there is a monster heading towards you. If this had a normal tutorial style pop-up/pause message it wouldn't have been an issue. Having never played the previous game, I had no idea there was a stasis power, so I never knew that I should be using it. It wasn't until 4 or 5 frustrating deaths that I finally noticed the  stasis message facing Isaac, but not really facing me, which is probably more important
    PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

Yeah it was stupid of them to show the monster in stasis. It makes you think the game's giving you plenty of time to line up your shot, when really, you're supposed to stasis it first. 

Lilyvalley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Lilyvalley
    @Ygg:  You're amazing.
    KillyDarko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 43

#27  Edited By KillyDarko
    @Artemesia said:
    " @handlas said:
    Yeah, pretty much this. I didn't stasis the necromorph the first time 'cause I was pretty sure I could handle it easily. Then surprise, I was dead in a single hit.
    I did it "right" the second time around, though...
    Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Sooty
    @Lilyvalley said:
    " @Ygg:  You're amazing. "
    Old.
    allgrinzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By allgrinzz

I got rofflestomped so hard here...   I never played Dead Space 1..  Watched a "let's play" of it to get the story, jumped into this one..  I start up.. die in the first area when your running away.. "wow.. I thought this was normal difficulty..."   Run through there..  felt kind lame for getting smoked in the tutorial.. then.. this bit..   this was deaths two and three.. So not nice when you get one shot trying to figure out what to do in a panic.  >.<   Got through it by finally getting stasis off as it's on top of me and SPAMMING SHOTS AMG I'M GUNNA DI... oh.. it's dead... I WIN!

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#30  Edited By JasonR86

There's a few things you can do.  If the monster is coming during the hacking mini-game you can cut the mini-game short by pressing B (I don't know the button to press on the PS3 version).  Like others said, you can stasis him.  Take out his legs before you take anything else out.  This will give you more time to move.

Also, you can turn down the difficulty.  You don't get any difficulty achievements/trophies unless you are on the level above survivalist. 

EDIT:  Oops, I didn't see the other post.  Uh...use stasis!

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By PillClinton

you should be ashamed...oh wait, you are.  Good day!

DeShawn2ks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By DeShawn2ks

Whoa wait that Necromorph can one hit kill you? I didn't know that because I hit that fool with stasis when it said hit Y to use stasis and shot him. With that said though that is pretty poor design because if I remember right that Necromorph runs through a stasis field also and I can see how you wouldn't even worry about using stasis at all on that part.

Avatar image for the_hiro_abides
    the_hiro_abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#33  Edited By the_hiro_abides

I'm not adding anything to this thread but you should use stasis.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.