Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead Space 2

Game » consists of 18 releases. Released Jan 25, 2011

Dead Space 2 is the sequel to the 2008 surprise hit Dead Space. The no-longer-silent Isaac Clarke finds himself trapped on a city-sized space station called the Sprawl, which has been overtaken by another Necromorph infestation.

Dead Space 2 Multiplayer achievements?

Agent_Prince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By Agent_Prince

Right, so i bought Dead Space 2 on the first day of release, something i have not done with a game for a long time, but as soon as i heard about it i had to have it. It didn't disappoint. Currently on my second play through on new game+ (still on Casual difficulty, after a bad experience on hardcore difficulty, decided to leave the higher difficulty levels. At least for now, anyway.), enjoying the new suits, upgrading all my weapons, etc. However, it has only just dawned on me that i haven't touched the multiplayer mode at all yet. As a gamer, i do try and experience the best games on offer, new or old, but i have to admit i'm a bit of an achievement hoarder also, so i was disappointed to discover that there are NO multiplayer mode achievements, although there are a few that can be obtained there. These are mostly aimed at the single player though. This is the main reason why i am yet to enter multiplayer, which i'm sure will cause frowns among many, but i feel there is a lack of incentive for me to do so. As you can probably tell from this, i'm not much of a multiplayer gamer (online anyway, except for FIFA), and i don't intend to offend anyone who is, just because of a lack of achievements. However, the biggest online games on Xbox all have them (COD, Halo's, Gears of War, etc), so i feel it's little bit of a missed opportunity. 

Agent_Prince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Agent_Prince

Right, so i bought Dead Space 2 on the first day of release, something i have not done with a game for a long time, but as soon as i heard about it i had to have it. It didn't disappoint. Currently on my second play through on new game+ (still on Casual difficulty, after a bad experience on hardcore difficulty, decided to leave the higher difficulty levels. At least for now, anyway.), enjoying the new suits, upgrading all my weapons, etc. However, it has only just dawned on me that i haven't touched the multiplayer mode at all yet. As a gamer, i do try and experience the best games on offer, new or old, but i have to admit i'm a bit of an achievement hoarder also, so i was disappointed to discover that there are NO multiplayer mode achievements, although there are a few that can be obtained there. These are mostly aimed at the single player though. This is the main reason why i am yet to enter multiplayer, which i'm sure will cause frowns among many, but i feel there is a lack of incentive for me to do so. As you can probably tell from this, i'm not much of a multiplayer gamer (online anyway, except for FIFA), and i don't intend to offend anyone who is, just because of a lack of achievements. However, the biggest online games on Xbox all have them (COD, Halo's, Gears of War, etc), so i feel it's little bit of a missed opportunity. 

zidane_24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By zidane_24

Right, because people who don't have Xbox Live shouldn't be allowed to get the full 1000, right?

DS2 did it the right way, by allowing players to get some achievements in single player OR in multiplayer, not specifying which. 

CoD is usually the same way, although I think Black Ops had one (the wager match achievement was the only one, I believe.)

SuperJmad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By SuperJmad

Thank you Dead Space 2 for not having multi-player specific achievements. Not a fan of them.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mordukai

MW and MW2 had no online MP achievements and look how the popular the MP in those games are. MP should stand on it's own without the the  help of achievements. If a game needs to have online, or offline for that matter, achievements in order to give you incentive to play it then you shouldn't even bother with it to begin with. 

Avatar image for bobby_the_great
    Bobby_The_Great

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Bobby_The_Great

I loved that DS2 didn't have multiplayer achievements. That usually kills a game for me because what if there is no community playing the game to get the achievements? I've had this problem lately with Red Faction: Guerrilla and Condemned 2; I can't get 1000 achievements because no on is online in those games...

AndyPhifer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By AndyPhifer

Yeah, multiplayer achievments are horrible. You're in the tiny minority, dude.
    emnii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By emnii

Add me to the list of people who love that there are no multiplayer achievements, and I seriously enjoy the multiplayer. Multiplayer unlocks are achievement enough for me. 

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#8  Edited By big_jon
    @AndyPhifer said:

" Yeah, multiplayer achievments are horrible. You're in the tiny minority, dude. "

Not in multiplayer focused games.
    JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By JoeyRavn
    @Mordukai said:
    " MW and MW2 had no online MP achievements and look how the popular the MP in those games are. MP should stand on it's own without the the  help of achievements. If a game needs to have online, or offline for that matter, achievements in order to give you incentive to play it then you shouldn't even bother with it to begin with.  "
    Not entirely true. The PC version of MW2 has some Achievements tied to the SpecOps portion of the game that can only be completed with two players. And since the PC version lacks the local co-op options of the console versions, you pretty much need to play online to get them, which is ridiculous, since the SpecOps missions are within the single player portion of the game... It even has its own different, separate launcher from the multiplayer section.
    Agent_Prince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Agent_Prince

Thanks for all the feedback guys, just to make it clear i'm not a fan of multiplayer ONLY achievements either, or am i much of a multiplayer gamer at all - FIFA 11 is the only game i have dedicated any time to against other players - but as an achievement grabber the lack of said achievements has so far not given me the incentive to enter multiplayer mode. SO FAR. Once i am done with the single player, i will enter multiplayer mode and (hopefully) enjoy. 

With regards to having to have a gold account just to 100% complete achievements in a game, it's wrong in my opinion, but this is how Microsoft make their money and part of the reason why multiplayer achievements do exist, whether we love them or hate them. I'll never get that last achievement on Sonic 2 :( 

XenoNick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#11  Edited By XenoNick

Glad DS2 achievmentys where not MP related. Hated that RE5 had VS. achievments.

otaku313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By otaku313
    @XenoNick said:
    " Glad DS2 achievmentys where not MP related. Hated that RE5 had VS. achievments. "
    When I beat RE5 and subsequently learned I had to shoot those emblems to upgrade my weapons, I immediately stopped playing. God, RE5 was such a bad fucking game.(In almost every way). 
    Any who, I hate multilayer achievements in single-player focused games. And as an earlier user said, it sucks getting an old game because no ones online. DS2 did it perfect. It gives you a little bit of everything and forces you to use different weapons and strateges. And they amount of time required for each one isnt bad.
    Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By Shadow

I HATE multiplayer achievements.  They ruin the fun.  For example, not being able to win 5 ranked matches in a row is making me enjoy MvC 3 less than I would otherwise.

flufflogic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By flufflogic

I have to admit, putting in MP achievements to force people to try it sucks. MP focused games like Left 4 Dead etc, fine, but in game where it's a sideshow I prefer the whole 1k is SP.

nukesniper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By nukesniper
    @agent_prince: I'm actually happy to hear that it doesn't have them. Assassins Creed Brotherhood has infuriated me with its online achievements. I love its multiplayer, but getting to level 50 is going to take a lot more time with that game than it deserves. The multiplayer is fun, but vitally flawed, and weirdly enough it is mostly flawed in its matchmaking and fairness. I want those achievements bad too, as I have S-Ranks on all of the other Assassin's Creed games...  

I expected about the same, mediocre level of quality from DS2, so I'm glad it doesn't have a "Reach max level" achievement.  

Note: I'm not making fun of either multiplayer, but in a world where CoD4 is old news, matchmaking needs to be fixed up a bit in AC:B. I shouldn't have to wait 9 minutes to not get into a game as often as I do in AC:B.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.