Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead Space 3

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Feb 05, 2013

Isaac Clarke, now aided by a soldier named John Carver, pursues the ominous threat of the Markers to the ice world Tau Volantis, now overrun with the terrifying Necromorphs, as well as the Human cultists who worship them.

First review in. More to come later.

• 150 results
    John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#101  Edited By John1912

Im only 2 hours in. But game seems pretty good. 2h12m 17.5% complete so looks like its a good length. Could use some more or better jump scares. Ammo and health are pretty abundant on normal, so vets should start on a higher level.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#102  Edited By Sackmanjones

Not surprising. A lot of talk over twitter from the press all seems positive as well.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#103  Edited By Yummylee

@John1912 said:

Im only 2 hours in. But game seems pretty good. 2h12m 17.5% complete so looks like its a good length. Could use some more or better jump scares. Ammo and health are pretty abundant on normal, so vets should start on a higher level.

Oh yeah, I've heard that it's supposedly like 15-20 hours or something crazy like that. Which, given that the first two were perhaps around 8-10 at most on a normal playthrough, that'd be quite a jump. There's supposed to be side-quests of all things, too. Though annoyingly enough they're only accessible in coop.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#104  Edited By Humanity

@Sackmanjones said:

Not surprising. A lot of talk over twitter from the press all seems positive as well.

I think in the midst of all this co-op and micro transaction witch hunts people forgot that Dead Space 2 was mechanically a very well done game, and that Dead Space 3 everything aside is not going to suddenly turn into Bayonetta or something and will retain that same level of craftsmanship in terms of player control etc. Even if the story turned out to be "ehh" you'd still have a very well done third person space action horror title.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By John1912

@Yummylee said:

@John1912 said:

Oh yeah, I've heard that it's supposedly like 15-20 hours or something crazy like that. Which, given that the first two were perhaps around 8-10 at most on a normal playthrough, that'd be quite a jump. There's supposed to be side-quests of all things, too. Though annoyingly enough they're only accessible in coop.

Well 10-12 hours looks about right if 2 hours is almost 20%.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#106  Edited By vitor

@John1912 said:

I dunno, playing it on hard and the combat is just frustrating as opposed to tense. It takes multiple shots from the 'new' line gun to sever limbs and MY WORD does that thing fire slowly. I just feel vastly underpowered and incapable of dealing with more than two enemies.

I'm wondering if Hard is really meant for New Game+ as I'm not particularly feeling it right now.

Also, the game is basically an expansion pack to Dead Space 2, make of that what you will.

That being said, the inability to change the direction of fire on the 'improved' line gun makes fighting certain old friends (the wall jumper spitters) a MASSIVE pain in the arse as you can't guarantee a multiple limb hit. To be honest, I'm not really enjoying it so far and I liked the first two.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#107  Edited By Sooty

@John1912 said:

@Yummylee said:

@John1912 said:

Well 10-12 hours looks about right if 2 hours is almost 20%.

Easy to be fooled though. It took me 5 hours to finish Dead Space 2 and I didn't even rush, granted that was my hardcore playthrough so I knew where everything was, first time was around 7 hours.

No idea how Brad managed to spend 10-12 hours on it if the video review is to be believed.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By Yummylee

@Vitor said:

@John1912 said:

I dunno, playing it on hard and the combat is just frustrating as opposed to tense. It takes multiple shots from the 'new' line gun to sever limbs and MY WORD does that thing fire slowly. I just feel vastly underpowered and incapable of dealing with more than two enemies.

I'm wondering if Hard is really meant for New Game+ as I'm not particularly feeling it right now.

Also, the game is basically an expansion pack to Dead Space 2, make of that what you will.

That being said, the inability to change the direction of fire on the 'improved' line gun makes fighting certain old friends (the wall jumper spitters) a MASSIVE pain in the arse as you can't guarantee a multiple limb hit. To be honest, I'm not really enjoying it so far and I liked the first two.

Would you say it's harder than Dead Space 2's Survivalist mode? That's the mode I went in from scratch with DS2 and thought it was just right for me.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By John1912

@Sooty said:

Easy to be fooled though. It took me 5 hours to finish Dead Space 2 and I didn't even rush, granted that was my hardcore playthrough so I knew where everything was, first time was around 7 hours.

No idea how Brad managed to spend 10-12 hours on it if the video review is to be believed.

Well first two games were a good 8 hours first run for me I think, so I dont see why 10+ hours is out of reach. Did first 2 give a % completed too? Personally I hate those fucking things. Really ruins the game for me when I know Im getting near the end. Brad may have included time spent dying and repeating areas.

@Vitor: The start of the game gives you a ridiculous amount of health packs so I can see people who are still in shape for DS3 having and easy go first run. I havent had too much prob with enemies, thou ive been taking a beating in the past 30 mins or so. Havent bothered with gun upgrades or making a new weapon yet which prob could help with the line gun being slow and all shit.

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#110  Edited By Klei

@Tidel said:

@Klei: @Funkydupe:

This is what I read on Neogaf. People have said it worked. I don't know and can't try it myself. But... take it as you will.

1. Change PC date

2. turn off internet

3. run game

4. turn on internet back on and log in origin

5. Play

I can confirm that this works. I just switched the date on my PC, turned off origin after pre-loading it, and boot it back in offline mode. Playing through right now. Unlike what the devs said, it IS a GREAT pc port with a SHITLOAD of graphical options.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#111  Edited By PillClinton

I'm pretty excited, actually, and am gonna play it for sure, but I'll most definitely wait till it's cheaper to pick it up. It's certainly not a day one purchase for me.

Also, I guess this isn't even gonna be sold on Steam, huh?

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By NTM

@Colourful_Hippie: People can do what they want. While I would like people to experience it as I will be, the "go buy it" is kind of sarcasm, 'cause I don't expect everyone I tell it to, to actually do it. I also agree with you that those that think a seven or even a six is low, is idiotic, even if I am being a little hypocritical about it. I see no problem with it really, at times. If a game you really want to be 'great' and you know you're going to love it, or you actually do end up loving it, a seven or a six is a bit of a disappointment, and even to reviewers sometimes, a seven is a disappointment, such as the Ni no Kuni review over at Game Informer, but as usual, the score isn't really anything, 'cause you can have a seven which means they really enjoyed it, or it could mean it's disappointing.

I'm not the type of person that you see go on sites and get mad at reviews because a person doesn't give it a score I approve of. For instance, RE6 on GameSpot, there were a few people calling Kevin VanOrd names and crap like that, or simply saying he was wrong; while I didn't agree with him, I still defended his opinion in a civil manner. Plus, I think it's a little pathetic to not show enthusiasm just because there are those that are pessimistic about it or are skeptic. Anything I say about it won't change their mind, and I'm not dumb enough to try and change it. I'm more inclined to ask why they don't care for it, I wouldn't argue to persuade them to like it, that's not my kind of thing. So I'm not pushing anything on anyone, I'm simply showing my enthusiasm.

Sorry that it 'rubs you the wrong way'. To be honest, your comments rubs me the wrong way because it makes me out to be something that was never my intention, and I don't like it when people assume what I'm trying to do when it's incorrect. The point is as I've said though, there are people who will look at a seven and see it as a game that's not worth it, and that's what's disappointing. That's my point. This game could be total shit, but I'm not going to just be pessimistic or weigh the good with the bad right now just because I think it could fail, I want to be excited for it, when the game's out, and I play it, I'll become more grounded in reality about the game, I don't have to do that right now though.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By NTM

@John1912: Are you playing it on Origin?

@Yummylee: I would say the Dead Space games are about twelve hours at most, fifteen to twenty seems like a stretch, but if that's true, that'd be really cool. I wish the side stuff as accessible for solo play as well. I'll try to play the co-op after, but I don't have any friends that are getting the game, nor have headsets for it on PS3. I'll have to play it with a stranger.

@Sooty: You'd have to be rushing through the game to beat it in seven hours for a first time.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@PillClinton said:

I'm pretty excited, actually, and am gonna play it for sure, but I'll most definitely wait till it's cheaper to pick it up. It's certainly not a day one purchase for me.

Origin only.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By Sooty

@NTM said:

@Sooty: You'd have to be rushing through the game to beat it in seven hours for a first time.

I wasn't, but that's just what the clock said, so that didn't take into account deaths. (although I barely died at all on my first run, survivalist I think)

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By PillClinton

@Colourful_Hippie said:

@PillClinton said:

Origin only.

Ah, yeah, thought so. I don't even really mind Origin that much, but I've kinda gotten into Steam achievements for some reason.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By vitor

@Yummylee: Honestly I can't remember what that was like. It feels tough. You can change the difficulty at any time so it's probably worth starting on Hard just to see what you make of it. Bear in mind that the first city level is a cake-walk compared to chapter 2, which feels more like DS1.

Although unlike DS1, when you get the line gun it's apparently HOT GARBAGE. I might need to see if I can tinker with the weapon crafting system because it seems to have replaced my plasma cutter and does no damage at all. Enemies take A LOT to go down and you'll burn through ammo. I tried my old DS2 habit of always selling ammo at stores for cash whenever I feel like I have too much on me but instantly started to regret that once I got into more enemy encounters.

Personally I feel like the added health on the enemies just makes your guns feel nerfed as opposed to providing an actual challenge but you might be OK with it.

@John1912: The start of the game is a breeze. It's when I got to the spaceship part where it actually becomes traditional dead space that I started having problems. All I seem to have on me are the SMG and shitty Line cutter which means taking anything down takes forever.

Also, for some reason, Isaac takes FOREVER to begin reloading. It's not that the reloading takes that long, it's that there's a massive bloody delay between you pressing reload and him doing anything. It feels really really odd. I'm using up all my ammo and health because enemies are so damned robust and cut cross distances so fast, which combined with your crappy evade roll and the tight corridors is just giving them tonnes of free hits on me.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By Yummylee

@Vitor said:

@Yummylee: Honestly I can't remember what that was like. It feels tough. You can change the difficulty at any time so it's probably worth starting on Hard just to see what you make of it. Bear in mind that the first city level is a cake-walk compared to chapter 2, which feels more like DS1.

Although unlike DS1, when you get the line gun it's apparently HOT GARBAGE. I might need to see if I can tinker with the weapon crafting system because it seems to have replaced my plasma cutter and does no damage at all. Enemies take A LOT to go down and you'll burn through ammo. I tried my old DS2 habit of always selling ammo at stores for cash whenever I feel like I have too much on me but instantly started to regret that once I got into more enemy encounters.

Personally I feel like the added health on the enemies just makes your guns feel nerfed as opposed to providing an actual challenge but you might be OK with it.

@John1912: The start of the game is a breeze. It's when I got to the spaceship part where it actually becomes traditional dead space that I started having problems. All I seem to have on me are the SMG and shitty Line cutter which means taking anything down takes forever.

Also, for some reason, Isaac takes FOREVER to begin reloading. It's not that the reloading takes that long, it's that there's a massive bloody delay between you pressing reload and him doing anything. It feels really really odd. I'm using up all my ammo and health because enemies are so damned robust and cut cross distances so fast, which combined with your crappy evade roll and the tight corridors is just giving them tonnes of free hits on me.

Thanks for the reply. And yikes, that reload delay sounds like it could be pretty... inconvenient. What version are you playing?

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
    TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Humanity said:

@Sackmanjones said:

I think in the midst of all this co-op and micro transaction witch hunts people forgot that Dead Space 2 was mechanically a very well done game, and that Dead Space 3 everything aside is not going to suddenly turn into Bayonetta or something and will retain that same level of craftsmanship in terms of player control etc. Even if the story turned out to be "ehh" you'd still have a very well done third person space action horror title.

Yeah totally with you on this. The game still looks great and from the demo at least, the sound design is still some of the best in the business. All the 'controversial' stuff aside it's still gonna be an incredibly well made game by all accounts.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By vitor

@Yummylee: PC. Not sure what's causing it. Everything else feels pretty responsive.V-sync is off and the game's running at like 100FPS maxed out at 1920x1080 with SMAA. Using a 360 pad and it works fine elsewhere.

It might just be part of the 'gameplay' but I don't remember this from DS2 or 1. It might just be that the wind up on the reload animation just looks like nothing is happening but, even so, it's a little annoying. I remember reload speed being one of my first upgrades in RE4 but never really bothering with it in any of the Dead Space games.

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By stryker1121

@Vitor: Hold on, now. The line gun replaces the plasma cutter? Like, you lose the plasma cutter? That does not sound right or I'm misreading your post.

Also, can you change the aiming in-game?

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By ShaggE

Do the Necromorphs feel... off, somehow? I'm still crazy early into it, 19% into Chapter 1 or something, but something just feels wrong, and I can't put my finger on it. Maybe it's Isaac? It's not a bad thing, just unexpectedly different. I have classic aiming on, so it's not that. Maybe it's just my imagination.

Not too hot on the human fighting, that definitely feels wrong with the way I'm used to shooting in Dead Space, but that's really my only complaint off the bat. It could be rather fun once I'm fighting humans and Necros at the same time. The series needs something like that to keep me on my toes at this point, simply due to over-familiarity.

I did love the surprise of the Slashers' new "triple spine" form. Glad I didn't watch too much coverage, as that was a great "Oh shit" moment. I hope the others get something like that, too.

Edit: Okay, one thing's for sure, the Necros go into "rage" speed constantly, and almost immediately (on Hard, anyway). That's definitely new. And those weren't Slashers, they were the new axe guys. M'bad.

Five chapters in, and I think I can say that this is some Dead Space-ass Dead Space. Unless this game takes an utter nosedive at some point, this seems to be a fine addition to the franchise.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By NTM

@Sooty: Yeah, I hardly died either. I really love walking in Dead Space though, and sometimes just standing and staring at things. On subsequent playthroughs though, yes, it can be a lot shorter. I just think if you're beating the game in seven hours, you're doing a lot of fast action. And oh man, people are already talking about the game. I'll have to stay away from this thread for a while :P.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The metacrtic score from users is dragging down its score.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By vitor

@stryker1121 said:

@Vitor: Hold on, now. The line gun replaces the plasma cutter? Like, you lose the plasma cutter? That does not sound right or I'm misreading your post.

Also, can you change the aiming in-game?

It does replace it when you first build it but you can disassemble weapons apparently to revert them back. The crafting system is really weird, I need to look into it more.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By NTM

I was just on metacritic and going through something I never do (and I rarely even go on metacritic either, but), the user reviews, and there are a few reviews in there that are based on the demo and it ends with "Let's see the final game now!" They need to take those stupid things off. It's almost always tens or zero's.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
    deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I really need to play Dead Space 2. And 1.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By Quarters

@The_Laughing_Man said:

The metacrtic score from users is dragging down its score.

I feel like that's a given for pretty much any game at this point. Looking forward to getting the game today. Somehow, I never got around to playing the demo, so I'm going into this fairly blind, save for trailers.

Nilazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#129  Edited By Nilazz

Sweet.

JerichoBlyth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By JerichoBlyth

A game that isn't reviewed before launch!? Surely it isn't going to suck! :-o

HeyImPhoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By HeyImPhoenix

The demo failed to hook me.

Fierrze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By Fierrze
    BrittonPeele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#133  Edited By BrittonPeele

I know this is a bit self-promotional, but I wanted to toss my own review in here, for The Dallas Morning News. Mostly because I like this game a lot and don't want it to get stomped on by people who only looked at the action-heavy marketing and aren't inclined to look twice at it. It's a good game -- really. I wish it was a bit scarier, a la the first game, but as far as "action-horror" goes, this is so many leaps and bounds above, say, Resident Evil 6. I like it a lot.

colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

8 and 7.8 from Gamespot and IGN. They feel like the right spot for this game. Although after listening to Brad, I'm already regretting wasting $40 on this thing.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By handlas

Even if the game ends up being shit...

Man that opening. What an opening. I don't really get too impressed with the bombastic kind of stuff like in Uncharted and what-not but that first sequence had my heart pumping.

colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@handlas: Too bad it had a lot of shitty fights with humans.

TheUnsavedHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By TheUnsavedHero

Unfortunately, I've invested too much into Dead Space to turn back now. It sounds like it's becoming this years "Mass Effect series". First game, really great with a few issues. Second game, an amazing time with a lot of the issues fixed. And the third game, still good, but the story and ending takes a nosedive.

If there is DLC that comes out in 4 months that fixes the ending, I think I will go into the fortune telling.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#138  Edited By Sackmanjones

Played about an hour and a half. Enjoying it so far. Also I think the opening is great! Really really cool set piece

AiurFlux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By AiurFlux

Bought it, beat it, and I do not like it. Dead Space 1 was something special and was true survival horror, Dead Space 2 tightened up some of the gameplay but also felt like it started to stray from the survival in survival horror. But Dead Space 3 there are just a multitude of things I hate. I hate the ammo system where it's all universal and removes ANY tension because you end up shitting ammo throughout the game. I hate the story, in particular the last 6 or so chapters. I hate how easy it is. I hate the shootouts with humans. I hate the forced uninteresting character interactions. I hate the times it tries to tug on a heart string and falls flat on it's face. I hate the rolling. I hate the crouching. I hate the microtransactions and think that the people that thought that was a good idea should be taken into the back and shot. I hate the complete lack of tension because of the fact that it might be "to scary" or "it would sell better as a Gears clone so let's action it up".

They had two gems. They had two fucking diamonds as a matter of fact, and they blew it.

I'm probably in the minority, and a very small one at that, but that's how I feel. Do I regret buying it or playing it? No. But I'm rather disappointed. It could have been better and it should have been better. But even with all that I realize it's a competent GAME, just not an enjoyable experience.

Numbers, because that's all that people read, 6.5/10.

/twocents

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By Oldirtybearon

I'm about 7 hours into it (Chapter 10, doing every side quest along the way) and guys, this is a pretty Dead Space-ass Dead Space game. I'm not sure where all these low-balled scores are coming from, unless it pulls a Mass Effect 3 at the end.

(do not tell me if it does for fucks sake)

Lysander91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By Lysander91

Here are my impressions from playing somewhere into Chapter 6 on normal. The atmosphere is as good if not better than ever and there are still some pretty decent scares. The graphics are stunning at times and the sound design is top notch. Somehow I can tell when a necromorph is behind me with only two speakers. Combat against necromorphs is awesome as expected. Combat against humans sucks. It seems like they have necromorph AI and like to rush you with guns, making cover useless. Fortunately there has been little human combat so far. The game seems a little easier than the previous games so far, which takes some tension away. It might be because I just beat Dead Space 2 last week, and I was getting pretty good at the combat so ymmv.

I also played a few missions on co-op and it was pretty fun, but the game is even easier. The horror aspect doesn't completely disappear. Both me and my buddy still got scared at a few points, but it didn't compare to the solo experience. There are some co-op specific parts like protecting your partner while he hacks that I feel really add to the experience by reintroducing some of the lost tension. Co-op is definitely best served for new game plus so you can still have the core Dead Space experience. I can see myself playing through this one multiple times because of the co-op.

Overall: somewhere between an 8.5 and a 9.

Unfortunately, it seems like the game starts to fall apart later on, so I'm crossing my fingers that the reviewers were off.

Lysander91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By Lysander91

@zudthespud: YES YOU DO! Dead Space is one of the best games this generation. 2 and 3 are great games, but they can't match the claustrophobia, loneliness, and genuine horror of the fist game.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#143  Edited By big_jon

I am enjoying Dead Space 3 so far.

If is weaker than the first two, but I like it. Fighting humans was odd though...

colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Oldirtybearon

I'm about 7 hours into it (Chapter 10, doing every side quest along the way) and guys, this is a pretty Dead Space-ass Dead Space game. I'm not sure where all these low-balled scores are coming from, unless it pulls a Mass Effect 3 at the end.

Brad made it pretty clear that there's a point in where the game begins to fall apart after some time after reaching the ice planet also by judging your comment it looks like you haven't watched the quick look or listened to the bombast.
    Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#145  Edited By Humanity

@Colourful_Hippie said:

@Oldirtybearon

Brad made it pretty clear that there's a point in where the game begins to fall apart after some time after reaching the ice planet also by judging your comment it looks like you haven't watched the quick look or listened to the bombast.

Both previous Dead Space games actually fell apart near the end only maybe not as bad. Dead Space 2 ending? Maybe no one remembers what a complete gauntlet that whole fucking thing was and in the end you were literally funneled into a cramped trough with necromorphs popping out of every possible surface and a regenarator constantly on your back. Granted that it was this big finale with the marker looming overhead and shit going crazy but even before that the entire Earth Gov sector was just a slew of gigantic firefights - I like the second game a lot but it got kinda tiring that last chapter. Similarly the last chapter of Dead Space 1 when you reach the planet surface was fight after fight as you make it to a final boss that did not work that great with that slow control scheme but at least looked and felt pretty grand.

Now I haven't gotten to the ice planet on Dead Space 3 and the intro sequence with the human enemies felt really awkward - like for the first time in video games I felt awkward shooting other humans - but after that it gets to that familiar Dead Space territory. You return to being Isaac Clarke the worlds best car mechanic fixing up all sorts of shit along the way. The reason to be a little down is that it IS the third game. While the first time you flew in zero G through some wind turbine in DS2 and had to stasis the blades it felt kinda cool - now it's just par for the course. Cause OF COURSE there would be gigantic spinning fans.. why would anyone make a separate catwalk above the blades..

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

So far I only have two problems... Nope, three.

The guns feel a little less punchy. Maybe because I'm playing on hard. A shot from the cutter used to feel like a fucking samurai sword, now they kind of walk through it. Perhaps that's just me playing on hard. Maybe they're fine on normal.

The story is kind of average, and kind of feels rushed. That's okay.

The game does not look as good as 1 and 2. This might be me now used to PC games and high rez, maybe it's a looker on consoles... It doesn't even look as good as 2 on PC. I agree with Brad about the environments, really seems like they had less money to spend on environment art.

But this is what I was wondering about. People always said "Why does Dead Space have to sell 5 million, can't it sell 1.2 and have EA be happy?" That money is exactly what pays for the beautiful art of the first two games. Dead Space 2 looked incredible, because they expected a large return. If you don't expect a large return, you can't spend as much on outsourced art and environment detail. Would you like a Dead Space made on the cheap, one that can survive on 1 million sales... Or do you want it to look beautiful and play flawlessly, and require 5 million sales?

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@Colourful_Hippie said:

@Oldirtybearon

Nope. I tend to play games I'm looking forward to and not watch them be played by other people.

colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Oldirtybearon: It's called looking at gameplay footage of a game I may be interested in buying and hearing someone's opinion on the quality of said game. This isn't some let's play youtube video.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@Colourful_Hippie said:

@Oldirtybearon: It's called looking at gameplay footage of a game I may be interested in buying and hearing someone's opinion on the quality of said game. This isn't some let's play youtube video.

Well actually, that's all a Quick Look is. A Let's Play Youtube video. The only difference between what Giant Bomb does and what the couple thousand youtubers do is that the GB staff is actually funny. Usually. Sometimes.

I didn't mean to sound snarky if I did, but when I'm going to be playing a game I tend not to watch gameplay demos (like quick looks) and I tend to avoid discussions on the game until I've played it. I don't want my opinion to be coloured before I've had a chance to play a game (which you could argue has happened twice in the last month - both with DmC and now Dead Space 3), hence why I tend to avoid podcasts until, you guessed it, I've played it.

colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Oldirtybearon: A let's play is basically an endurance run and most of them tend to just be idle commentary on the game and not talking much on specific aspects so I disagree with that comparison. I do understand though why you would avoid anything on a game that you already made up your mind on playing. You saying that you're looking forward to a game just didn't make it all that clear that what you actually meant was that you were planning on playing the game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.