Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead Space

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Oct 14, 2008

Engineer Isaac Clarke battles a polymorphic virus-like alien infestation that turns human corpses into grotesque undead alien monsters called "Necromorphs" while trying to survive on board an infested interstellar mining ship named the USG Ishimura.

Late Early Impressions - Dead Space

Alphazero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 10

Edited By Alphazero

There's this game I've just discovered called Dead Space, and after playing the first level I have to say I'm quite excited about it.

I know I'm very late to board this dismemberment train, but here's a story and a visual style that really reaches out and grabs you (until you pound a button enough that it lets you go). The mechanics thus far are tight. In the game the best way to eliminate an enemy is to use your laser cutting tools to sever limbs. With fast moving monsters this could be tricky, so the story manages to justify you having a science-fiction magical hoo-ha gizmo that locally slows down time. Brilliant! You get jumped by a baddie, slow them down with stasis, then carefully use your very limited ammo to excise just the right parts.

The writers clearly get what makes for good science fiction, namely its about the people, perhaps like you and me, using the tools of the future to solve their futuristic problems. With a name like Isaac (Asimov - Arthur C.) Clarke, it's clear that someone at the Redwood Shores office is a fan of the genre. The aesthetic and even the story borrows from sci-fi themes you have seen before, but it just does it all so well.

Hell, I'm liking the setting so much that it makes me want to watch the movie "Event Horizon" again. Now that's saying something.

Alphazero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By Alphazero

There's this game I've just discovered called Dead Space, and after playing the first level I have to say I'm quite excited about it.

I know I'm very late to board this dismemberment train, but here's a story and a visual style that really reaches out and grabs you (until you pound a button enough that it lets you go). The mechanics thus far are tight. In the game the best way to eliminate an enemy is to use your laser cutting tools to sever limbs. With fast moving monsters this could be tricky, so the story manages to justify you having a science-fiction magical hoo-ha gizmo that locally slows down time. Brilliant! You get jumped by a baddie, slow them down with stasis, then carefully use your very limited ammo to excise just the right parts.

The writers clearly get what makes for good science fiction, namely its about the people, perhaps like you and me, using the tools of the future to solve their futuristic problems. With a name like Isaac (Asimov - Arthur C.) Clarke, it's clear that someone at the Redwood Shores office is a fan of the genre. The aesthetic and even the story borrows from sci-fi themes you have seen before, but it just does it all so well.

Hell, I'm liking the setting so much that it makes me want to watch the movie "Event Horizon" again. Now that's saying something.

lvl10Wizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By lvl10Wizard

Hey you should definitely stick with it, sounds like you will. The game is very tight from start to finish and it doesn't get boring at all. I put off playing this game for a while, I think it was because it's a unknown quantity, new francise and everything. Having played through it though I can say that I don't think Resident Evil 5 is going to come close to Dead Space (based on the Resident Evil 5 demo).

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By TheGreatGuero

It's a really great game. One of the best ones I played from 2008. It never really gets dull either. Good from beginning to end. I think it's kind of amusing how you mentioned freezing enemies with stasis because to be honest, I hardly ever used it at all, until like half-way into the game when I noticed that it would score me an achievement. So then I kind of abused the heck out of it. Anyway, fantastic game. I'm glad you're enjoying it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.