Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Deadly Premonition

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Feb 23, 2010

An open-world action-adventure game following an eccentric FBI agent as he investigates a series of bizarre murders in the small rural town of Greenvale.

Carol's singing

TeejIV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By TeejIV

I thought I might get the answer to this question before she died, but no luck.  So, is Carol supposed to be a bad singer?  In the George/York  then York/Emily scene, it looks like York and George wince, which might be unrelated, and there's very little applause.  The record version is mixed a little differently, and while it may be the same performer, I don't think it's the same performance.  Was this just an unmentioned subtlety in a very unsubtle game, or was this unplanned?

Shinri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Shinri

I WANT to say they planned it. I really do.

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By buzz_clik
    @Shinri said:

" I WANT to say they planned it. I really do. "

Me too. There's weird, unneeded attention to detail in parts of this game, but the things that required a higher level of detail went without. Because of this, it's really hard to tell what's deliberate, what's accidental, and what's poor due to budgetary constraints.
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By JJWeatherman

Spoilers?

TeejIV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TeejIV
    @JJWeatherman:  Are you asking if we want them?  I don't think anything so far has been a spoiler.  
    Castro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Castro
    @TeejIV:  I think that he is referring to Carol's death which I would consider to be a spoiler. Also, I didn't notice any difference in the vocal tracks. I think that the "wincing" might have just been the crappy character models. They weren't wincing, they just always look like that, maybe. I'll have to go back and check.
    TeejIV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TeejIV

Here's Carol singing (with George and York maybe / maybe not reacting): 

and here's the record version: 

TheDoubleJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8  Edited By TheDoubleJ

the recorded version sounds slightly better

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Lunar_Aura

I'd like to think it's intentional. Small town acts usually aren't top caliber performances. 

More importantly to me though, does anybody know what the heck she's saying? "I dreaaam, of you" thadadada "something funny" abauhthaadada....
    EToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By EToaster

Well the reason it sounds bad is because it's a Japanese woman singing the song phonetically.  The Amazing Grace song is the same way, as well. 

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By I_smell

No, it's a Japanese game so any joke would've bin overdone to the point that it stops being funny. See: Emily's cooking.

ashogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By ashogo

I don't think those glances are referring to the song. I think George is just looking away because he's feeling (or pretending to feel?) guilty about the girl's deaths, which leads to his big speech to York in the next scene.

I love Carol's Engrish though. If they decided to hire a whole English-speaking cast, I don't get why they couldn't have done the same for their singers.

blue_crow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By blue_crow

I have tried a few times to decipher the lyrics.  I wondered if anyone had a better guess about these-

i dream of {fear?}, like {something}, you are conscious of my innocence, everyone's just {something something}, life is but a dream
    i dream of you, like a god, there is something funny about this song, wait behind the door of leaves {or possibly 'please'}, they should see us, i {something} from the night, {my space?}

There's a cover that someone did on youtube that's kinda... off in the same way that the original is off, except its...  well, its Thomas's version.
     http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Osur5lo4Q2U his guesses are a little different from mine, I guess.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By PillClinton
    @EToaster: actually DP was originally voiced in English by an American cast.  there's no Japanese voiceover at all.
    EToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By EToaster

@100_Hertz: Yes, all the voice acting was, but it's pretty clear listening to the songs that they were sung by someone whose primary language is not English.  Looking at the credits, the vocals for Carol's song and Greenvale were sung by Misako Yamashita, and Amazing Grace was sung by REMI.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.