Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Deadly Premonition

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Feb 23, 2010

An open-world action-adventure game following an eccentric FBI agent as he investigates a series of bizarre murders in the small rural town of Greenvale.

How should I watch the DP Endurance Run?

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
    ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Poll How should I watch the DP Endurance Run? (461 votes)

Both VJ and BR at the same time. 30%
    VJ 32%
    BR 2%
    Watch one of the runs, then go back and watch the other pair's run. 33%

I totally missed out on the Deadly Premonition ER. To be honest the playlist is intimidating for it. The same game being played twice, with pairs of different people. I have no idea how to tackle it, help me out.

• 
    Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

I enjoyed watching both of them one episode at a time, as I originally viewed them as they went up on the site. It may be a bit hard to watch the same gameplay twice in a row, but each run brings its own hilarity and is worth seeing. They do start out being pretty similar, but eventually, Brad's terrible game-playing skills puts them pretty far behind Vinny.

Heycalvero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Heycalvero

Watching one of the runs at a time is probably more effective because they run at different paces (Vinny is more effective at killing those sponges most of the time). I haven't watched the BR run because I honestly couldn't endure DP a second time back to back, but I'm sure it's hard to top Vinny and Jeff. In the end, it's always a cool part of the back catalog to go back to when you would want to.

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By nickhead

At the time they were doing it, I watched BR almost exclusively with the occasional check in with VJ. Loved it all, but I'd like to go back and actually watch all of VJ, especially after falling in love with Twin Peaks.

DP is the most enjoyable game I'll never play.

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I actually watched them while playing the Director's Cut, going through each a few episodes at a time until I caught up with where I was in the game. I think it was pretty interesting to see how the one pair handled a specific section while having the others' play-through fresh in my mind.

DASH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I watched both at the same time, I think if you watch 1 at a time, it will be harder to start the second run since you've seen it all. Plus it was fun to see the different play styles, perspectives, and commentary side by side.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I watched VJ, waited a year then watched BR.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

In the nude.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@yummylee said:

In the nude.

I was going to say to watch one, and then the other, but really this is the correct answer.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

I enjoyed watching both of them one episode at a time, as I originally viewed them as they went up on the site. It may be a bit hard to watch the same gameplay twice in a row, but each run brings its own hilarity and is worth seeing. They do start out being pretty similar, but eventually, Brad's terrible game-playing skills puts them pretty far behind Vinny.

Hey man, BR were ahead until the run was impeded by a couple crashes that lost some progress and sent them on an extended side questing kick! Let's not blame this one entirely on Brad. Though he was indeed rather terrible at fighting those wall ladies, while Vinny pretty quickly learned how to dispatch them rather efficiently.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By Ben_H

Both at the same time is how I did it. Though I did it as they were being released.

Ozzie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

VJ first since I think it's my favorite of the two and then if you really enjoyed it then go for the BR one. They're both fun to watch and I stuck with VJ till they finished, then watched BR and I found it really fun to go back and see their reactions.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

@pyromagnestir said:

@wemibelec90 said:

Hey man, BR were ahead until the run was impeded by a couple crashes that lost some progress and sent them on an extended side questing kick! Let's not blame this one entirely on Brad. Though he was indeed rather terrible at fighting those wall ladies, while Vinny pretty quickly learned how to dispatch them rather efficiently.

I guess. All I can remember is him constantly complaining about how bad the controls were, even though they are perfectly manageable for anyone with half a brain.

s10129107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By s10129107

If you haven't played deadly premonition I would recommend doing both at the same time. That way you can discover the game with both teams.

smcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I only watched VJ.

Whichever one you choose, after you're finished go watch at least the pilot episode of Twin Peaks. Before doing so I figured the comparison was just going to be surface-level, but there are some directly-comparable characters and story lines there.

And somehow the animation and voice acting in Deadly Premonition is less hammy than the acting in Twin Peaks.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Diva points. It stands for Diva points.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

In my humble opinion they mixed up the pairings all wrong. It should have been BV, JR. Brad-Vinny QL's are the secret best quicklooks (brad is the sensible type and vinny is the complete whack job that balances him out) and Jeff and Ryan always played off each other really well.

With that said the Jeff/Vinny version is the essential version. Ryan/Brad one is good as well, but you really can't go wrong with something that has both Vinny and Deadly Premonition.

TheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TheBlue

I tried watching both at the same time, but the different paces became tiring to keep up with. I would say try both if you can get a good system for how you're watching it, but if not, VJ is the way to go. I never actually finished watching BR so I might go back and do that at some point, but at the time I had just come off of the P4 Endurance run so I couldn't pass up the VJ combo.

Crossing my fingers for the Dan/Drew MGS ER, though not technically an ER since Dan has already played.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I only watched the VJ one. I did however scrub through the BR one to watch key points and reveals. I'd recommend picking the duo you prefer more, then watching the big plot points of the other one.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

My recollection is that Brad was more frustrating to watch more often (missing obvious things - Ryan often wasn't observant enough to help him out) but that both of them had their peaks and troughs. At the time I thought both at once was a bit much and I can't really say that's how I'd recommend it. Half of the fun of that ER for me was the game itself and that really only works once.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

I watched them in release order and that was a pretty good experience. Around episode 6 or 7 they start to be at different points in the game as they spend their down time doing different side quests. It's almost better not knowing what is coming for one run and then knowing what is coming for the other. Knowing where they are in relation to one another adds to it as well, and you won't get a sense for that if you watch one then the other.

But what you should really do is get two monitors and load up one on each and hit play at the same time.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Both are good for different reasons, I recommend VJ as they both have done an ER and know how to talk during the game where BR didn't really hit their stride till at least half way through the ER.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rongalaxy: Fuck no, Ryan Vinny was the pairing to make and they missed out. Jeff would've helped Brad out better when he struggled and Ryan would've supported Vinny doing dumb shit more than Jeff

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

try playing through it alongside the videos. It's a pretty fun game. Stay maybe 1hr ahead of the videos. Your choices for side missions opens up fairly quickly so you won't just be rewatching what you just played all that often.

VJ is great fun. BR is great too. Ryan gets into the story as it goes along.

Nick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I watched Vinny/Jeff, then went back later and watched Brad/Ryan. At least that way if it's intimidating you could split them up and watch them in 2 parts.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Watch them both, but bare in mind that Ryan and Brads is more thoughtful (and sometimes maddening) to watch. Brad clearly didn't want to play it, but Ryan tries to be along for the ride.

I recommend watching one then going back and watching the other whenever you feel like seeing the game again.

Vinny and Jeff's is (probably obviously) the funny one. They didn't know how to react to the ending, though. I guess none of us did, really.

In any case I think they both have merit- for different reasons. I enjoyed them both.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Brendan

For me, if I watched a game all the way through I would struggle to watch it all over again immediately. I enjoyed watching both runs concurrently.

Avatar image for insane_shadowblade85
    insane_shadowblade85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Watch VJ for the gameplay because, even though neither team had fun playing it, Vinny and Jeff had more fun with what they had. They would just have conversations during boring parts or laugh when they died, where Brad would just get angrier and blame the game and the controls (rightfully so). After you're done watching the VJ run, watch the last few episodes of the BR run. Ryan's reactions to everything that happens is great and makes up for everything that happened before hand.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I watched one episode of VJ then one episode of BR until it was all over. I didn't get the fatigue other people have had because while they were mostly doing the same thing, they provided different commentary and unique moments of hilarity. It's been a while since I last watched them though, and now I have the urge....

Vextroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I say watch the BR run first as they seem to get way more into the story (Ryan especially) then VJ.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Team BR 4 Life.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

@wemibelec90 said:

The final death count was like 20 for Brad and 4 for Vinny, BR was never going to finish first.

Basm321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corruptedevil: I started to do the same. A yearish later I'm watching BR... But I'm on the 3rd episode and not finding it as enjoyable as VJ.

Should I push through? Is BR worth it?

Note: I had already watched a lets play of deadly premonition before watching VJ, so the story wasn't new then either

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

I dunno, sounds like a lot of chafing.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First time around I started with BR and more or less skipped episodes, jumping through some to see if anything fun happened. Then almost two years later, when I was more familiar with the crew, I remembered that there was a VJ option as well and was floored by how much more entertaining it was. Spent a whole lot of days by just watching 3-4 episodes in a row...

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@basm321 said:

@corruptedevil: I started to do the same. A yearish later I'm watching BR... But I'm on the 3rd episode and not finding it as enjoyable as VJ.

Should I push through? Is BR worth it?

Note: I had already watched a lets play of deadly premonition before watching VJ, so the story wasn't new then either

BR focuses on sidequests a lot more if you want to see those, but Brad is very much a spoilsport who makes it hard to watch.

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By BlackLagoon

@basm321: I think BR became a lot more entertaining a bit in as Ryan warms up to the game and starts getting really into the story. Also Brad's constant struggle with the combat makes it far more of an emotional roller coaster, with great "highs" like him getting a certain weapon upgrade. Over all I actually prefer it to VJ.

robsamuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've only seen BR. Some day I'll watch VJ, but it's difficult to get motivated to commit the time (even though I know it will be entertaining).

PatheticMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By PatheticMan

Someone should log every time Ryan said "god damn it, Brad".

triviaman09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

The first time, I just watched the BR run, tried to start VJ but couldn't handle watching DP again. I'd say watch them simultaneously. They're both very much worth watching and while you will see a lot of the same stuff over and over again, they do start to diverge quite a lot in the middle.

If you can't handle that, watch them about a year apart like I did.

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

Both side by side.

Vahleticar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ive watched VJ twice or thrice now. Its a lot of really funny shit.

sarahsdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

My memory of it is that if you want to watch a weird game being played, then go with VJ. If you want to watch two guys react to the weirdness of the game, then watch BR.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

both runs are awesome, I recommend watching an entire run then going back and watch the other one.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I watched both at the same time, and it was fun being able to see how each team reacted to the various parts of the game almost side-by-side. It takes longer, though, of course.

winsord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I watched all of VJ first, then pretty much immediately started watched BR following. They were both good and are both worth watching. I'd say stick it through the end to one to see how much you like it, and then watch the other when you realize how great it is.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.