Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Deadly Premonition

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Feb 23, 2010

An open-world action-adventure game following an eccentric FBI agent as he investigates a series of bizarre murders in the small rural town of Greenvale.

New Swery interview

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By artofwar420

Found it here from his twitter (if you're not following him, go here:  http://twitter.com/Swery65

http://www.accessgames-blog.com/rsp_dblog/2010/06/deadly-premonit.html It's all in Japanese, except the questions. I gave Google translate a go and it seems somewhat understandable.

English:  http://translate.google.com/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=1&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.accessgames-blog.com%2Frsp_dblog%2F2010%2F06%2Fdeadly-premonit.html&sl=ja&tl=en 

If someone can translate it better, I think we'd have an easier time with the interview. Here's an excerpt of his favorite games:

What are some of your favourite games?

SWERY:

• MOTHER2 
    • Ice Climber
    • Mario Kart 64
    • The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 
    • Chrono Trigger
    • MAX PAYNE 
    • Shadow of the Colossus
    • BIOHAZARD
    • ASSASSIN'S CREED
    • Medal of Honor: Allied Assault 
    • Flower, Sun and Rain 
    • Policenauts 
    • Disc Gate
    •  Medal of Honor: Allied Assault
    • Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
    • Gears Of War
    • Project Gotham Racing 3
    • Grand Theft Auto 3

Etc. And many ... too many ... sob.

Excellent stuff.
    Walheimat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Walheimat

I think I can translate this.  However, I'll have to do it in several stages, because I'm at work and don't have much time, right now. So, here are the first two answers, for now. I'll edit and add the rest later. I didn't keep the translations too close to the original Japanese. I wanted the translation to feel natural, not too stiff.

"Deadly Premonition is very ambitious, what made you not want to make just a normal survival horror game?"

At first, we wanted to make more of a mystery game, its horror aspect being almost non-existent.

Since the original idea was to have a scientifically investigating protagonist, we aimed for something much more urban and cynical.
    However, as we went along implementing these ideas, and meeting upon meeting of the producer and other members of the staff had occurred, we changed things up, and the game ended up having the strong occult slant you find in it now.

You could say, we completely abandoned the route we originally had set foot on, as to the game's content and direction. 

Thinking back to it now, the invention of the "coffee oracle" and "Zach's existence" was what set and established the game's character.

" What inspired the inverted peace sign, what are its connotations? "

While its return appearances play quite a big role in the game, the sign's meaning can change dramatically, depending on the particular viewpoint of a character.
    A thing of tremendous importance, a divine symbol, a simple drawing, or -- if we were to believe Harry -- it might be a harbinger of what is to come. Who knows?

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By artofwar420
    @Walheimat: Thanks for doing this! Much better.
    Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 28

#4  Edited By Legend
    Avatar image for krystal_sackful
    Krystal_Sackful

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Krystal_Sackful
    @Legend: 
    " The cutest children are the ones we have the lowest expectations of."
    Huh, that's kind of a weird way of looking at it.
    Walheimat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Walheimat
    @Legend said:

" I think this interview was originally in English, and then it was translated to Japanese. Here is a link to the English interview:
      http://www.faceoffgames.com/section/1056389 "

Indeed, it even has more questions and answers. I think I prefer this guy's translation to mine, as well.
    artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By artofwar420
    @Legend: Good form sirs.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.