Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Deadly Premonition

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Feb 23, 2010

An open-world action-adventure game following an eccentric FBI agent as he investigates a series of bizarre murders in the small rural town of Greenvale.

What difficulty should someone play this on?

ItBeStefYo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By ItBeStefYo

I know hard is out of the question but since the shooting is so bad should I play this on easy? or just do it on normal.

SBYM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By SBYM

If all you're wanting to do is enjoy the setting, characters and story and you don't like the combat, then just play on Easy.

ItBeStefYo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ItBeStefYo

Yeah it seems like it would make it a much better "Game" why doesnt everybody play it on easy?

SBYM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4  Edited By SBYM

Some folks don't feel the controls are enough challenge on their own, I suppose.

owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By owl_of_minerva

Normal is pretty easy too, regardless. I can't even see hard being a challenge. The AI is busted in Deadly Premonition, and the combat isn't complex. Just do the sidequests and you can mow through it with minimal effort, ie. infinite magnum and Grecotch. The GB ERs are misleading in regards to difficulty. The shooting isn't that bad, it's just tedious.

beej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By beej

Yeah, I had no problems on normal. Honestly though there's not a whole lot left in the game after the Eruns, or at least there wasn't for me. In my quest to find all of what the game had to offer a lot of its flaws were exposed. Don't get me wrong the story/characters are cool.  

stubbleman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By stubbleman

The trick with this game is to run through the combat sections as quickly as you can. I'm playing on normal right now and I'm not having too much trouble doing this. If you've watched the endurance runs, then you probably know the puzzles for each dungeon. So just run around the zombies. For me at least, the fun was all in the open world sections and not the dungeons, so go for that. It makes the game a whole lot more fun.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By mutha3
    @owl_of_minerva said:

" Normal is pretty easy too, regardless. I can't even see hard being a challenge. The AI is busted in Deadly Premonition, and the combat isn't complex. Just do the sidequests and you can mow through it with minimal effort, ie. infinite magnum and Grecotch. The GB ERs are misleading in regards to difficulty. The shooting isn't that bad, it's just tedious. "

That's exactly it.

The AI isn't smarter, there aren't more enemies, you don't get more limited ammo....only one thing changes as you turn up the difficulty:

Enemy health. Basically, its a tedium scrollbar.
    owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By owl_of_minerva
    @beej:  I found the side-quests added a fair bit to the story and characterisation. Also, you see the characters go about their routines, which creates a sense of verisimilitude and a consistent world which many games budget or otherwise don't bother with. The ERs didn't touch on that.
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#10  Edited By Jeust
    @owl_of_minerva said:

" Normal is pretty easy too, regardless. I can't even see hard being a challenge. The AI is busted in Deadly Premonition, and the combat isn't complex. Just do the sidequests and you can mow through it with minimal effort, ie. infinite magnum and Grecotch. The GB ERs are misleading in regards to difficulty. The shooting isn't that bad, it's just tedious. "

I've finished the first episode (apart from the prologue) and I'll already sick of the shooting. It works great, despite the auto-aim to the crotch, but it is damn repetitive. Unless there are a lot of enemies on screen, it resembles a shooting gallery.  

I'm also playing on Normal. The game isn't incredibly challenging regardless. 
    TylDurden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TylDurden

What "flaws" are everyone talking about? Enemies are "zombies" who walk towards you, what AI are they supposed to have? Shooting is ripped from RE4, was that a terrible game too?

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By Winternet

You should play on Extreme or whatever the hardest difficulty is.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#13  Edited By FancySoapsMan

I played on normal. I only died about 6 times and that was mostly because of quick time events.

beej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By beej
    @owl_of_minerva: I suppose, in my case the act of trying to do all the sidequests revealed all of the game mechanics and rote routines underlying their actions. I'm not saying that's how it has to be, just saying how it ended up working out for me. 
    MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#15  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Easy. It isn't worth fighting the wall ladies on Normal. 

TylDurden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TylDurden

I never had a problem with the wall ladies. They're like mini bosses and only add to the experience, but I've heard a lot of people complain so MooseyMcMans advice is sound, if only to adapt to the whiney babies who didn't "get" what the game was going for.

johnny961

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#17  Edited By johnny961

It is not that hard on hard just dont try to melee the wall ladies like Brad did on the endurance run. Made me laugh at how frusturated it made him every time he came across them. Also the ladies have a set pattern so pay attention. I thought some of the quicktime events were more of a pain in the ass.
    JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By JoeyRavn

I'm playing on Easy, mainly to enjoy the game. I S-Ranked Super Meat Boy, I don't need another tough-as-nails game. I know I won't be getting all the Achievements in this one, but hey, whatever. Maybe during the summer I manage to get the time to S-Rank this game (that is, beating it on Hard and getting all the trading cards)...

Seroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#19  Edited By Seroth
    @johnny961: Melee works pretty well on the wall ladies, especially those of the infinite variety. You just have to...not play like Brad. :P
    Avatar image for the_hiro_abides
    the_hiro_abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By the_hiro_abides

Normal was fine, figuring out the pattern of the wall ladies is a must.

ItBeStefYo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ItBeStefYo

Ohshit. Just realised theres an achievement for 200G to complete it on hard ----------------------___________________________---------------------

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.