Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Demon's Souls

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Oct 06, 2009

Demon's Souls is an action-RPG developed by From Software and released in 2009. It quickly became popular within hardcore circles for its relentlessly steep difficulty level, deep combat system, and unique multiplayer integration.

Demon's Souls doesn't exist, does it?

mowgers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

Edited By mowgers

I'm convinced Demon's Souls is a lie designed to trick me. I've looked everywhere. It doesn't exist. I saw it on Amazon just now, signed in to buy it and it was gone again... I really want to play this game but it might as well be a puff of goddamn smoke. This is a hardcore-ass game that's received diddly squat in the way of promotion over here and it's rarer than hen's teeth. It's nuts.

I'm being paranoid maybe.

But just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean I'm wrong. I'll get to the bottom of your Demon's Souls conspiracy Namco Bandai, and your little dog too.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By onarum

heh, yeah, since it came out it has been a hard game to find, simply because they've put few copies out, given the more hardcore nature of the game.

at least that was the case with the NA version, ATLUS is known for releasing niche games in small numbers that will be very hard to find in a few months, I didn't wait, preordered with a guy on ebay (I'm from Brazil) , got it 1 week after release, the deluxe edition, and it's one of those games I'll probably never trade or sell.

I though the European release would be a little more widespread, guess not :), but don't sweat it I'm sure you'll get it eventually, it's  a great game.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Karkarov

I ordered my copy of the euro DS from hmv.com  check them out maybe they still have some copies?

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ninjakiller

Oh England...meh.

luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By luce

You're missing out

I know how you feel though...back when I had my PS2 I was feverishly looking for SMT: Nocturne to no avail

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

My gamestop has 4 copies of it.  

Ive never noticed it at any other places 

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By trophyhunter
    @Mowgers said:
    " I'm convinced Demon's Souls is a lie designed to trick me. I've looked everywhere. It doesn't exist. I saw it on Amazon just now, signed in to buy it and it was gone again... I really want to play this game but it might as well be a puff of goddamn smoke. This is a hardcore-ass game that's received diddly squat in the way of promotion over here and it's rarer than hen's teeth. It's nuts.  I'm being paranoid maybe.  But just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean I'm wrong. I'll get to the bottom of your Demon's Souls conspiracy Namco Bandai, and your little dog too. "
    Namco did not make demon's souls.
    There's your problem.
    regularassmilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By regularassmilk

There are 11 copies of Demon Souls at my gamestop. Huh.
    Also, Namco didnt make Demon Souls, no wonder your having trouble.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#8  Edited By Icemael
    @trophyhunter: @regularassmilk: Namco Bandai are publishing the game in Europe.
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By trophyhunter
    @Icemael said:
    " @trophyhunter: @regularassmilk: Namco Bandai are publishing the game in Europe. "
    oooh that's the problem
    Chojin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Chojin
    @Mowgers:  

I imported it in November but decided to buy the European version as well just to contribute to sales in hope of a sequel. So I went to the biggest game store in town on the day of release and there`s one single copy on the shelf. Turns out they only ordered 10 copies, 9 of which had been pre-ordered leaving them completely sold out after my visit - an hour after they opened on release day.

So, none of my friends have been able to get their hands on it either. I on the other hand now have 2 copies and halfway through again ;p

mowgers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mowgers

I've ordered a second hand copy in 'mint condition'. The guy has a lot of positive feedback so I'm not too worried. I'd feel more guilty about buying second hand but as there ARE NO COPIES IN THE ENTIRE COUNTRY I feel justified.

Also, just to be a dick:

No Caption Provided

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By EVO

eBay.

Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 13

#13  Edited By Chris2KLee

Try Play-Asia, they are currently listing both the Asian and American version (both have English) as available. Asian copy is also cheaper, $40.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By StaticFalconar
    @Mowgers: you don't what it means to be hardcore then. getting a copy is like lvl one. 
    c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By c1337us
    @Chris2KLee said:
    " Try Play-Asia, they are currently listing both the Asian and American version (both have English) as available. Asian copy is also cheaper, $40. "
    That's where I bought my copy. Play-asia is a good service, I am currently in the process of ordering Persona 3 Portable from it right now. But I wouldn't be too cut if you can't get it. It's over rated and junk.
    markini6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#16  Edited By markini6

A standard edition of the game is coming out on the 6th of August, for around £25, which I'm hoping will be much more available. That said, I'm not taking any chances and have preordered it form Shopto :)

Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Chris2KLee
    @c1337us said:
    " @Chris2KLee said:
    " Try Play-Asia, they are currently listing both the Asian and American version (both have English) as available. Asian copy is also cheaper, $40. "
    That's where I bought my copy. Play-asia is a good service, I am currently in the process of ordering Persona 3 Portable from it right now. But I wouldn't be too cut if you can't get it. It's over rated and junk. "
    Well, it's definitely not for everyone. It has some archaic ass systems, and difficulty is brutal, but it has a lot to offer for those that can stick with it. It's like Monster Hunter in that those that love it, love it to death, but others will despise it. Both opinions are valid for DS.
    Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Karkarov
    @Chris2KLee said:
    "Well, it's definitely not for everyone. It has some archaic ass systems, and difficulty is brutal, but it has a lot to offer for those that can stick with it. It's like Monster Hunter in that those that love it, love it to death, but others will despise it. Both opinions are valid for DS. "
    Except unlike Monster Hunter it doesn't lie about how lock on can't work right and it is actually IS good in the opinions of people who aren't just rampaging fanboi.
    Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Chris2KLee
    @Karkarov said:
    " @Chris2KLee said:
    "Well, it's definitely not for everyone. It has some archaic ass systems, and difficulty is brutal, but it has a lot to offer for those that can stick with it. It's like Monster Hunter in that those that love it, love it to death, but others will despise it. Both opinions are valid for DS. "
    Except unlike Monster Hunter it doesn't lie about how lock on can't work right and it is actually IS good in the opinions of people who aren't just rampaging fanboi. "
    Hang on there! I am rampaging MH fan boy, and I would love some type of lock on feature! Just like I think better multiplayer in Demon Souls would make it a way better game. But hey, like I said different strokes for different blokes, I have never been able to play a single American football game ever, no matter how good the quality. Nothing clicks there. Ditto for most racing games. But man, games like DS and MH hooks me, and I don't know why. There is something I dig about the risk reward in each game.
    Avatar image for crosstheatlantic
    CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By CrossTheAtlantic

so should I buy this game?

Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Chris2KLee
    @CrossTheAtlantic said:
    " so should I buy this game? "
    It's a very different game, I recommend watching the Quicklook first and maybe a couple of vids on youtube. If you ever played or saw King's Field on the PS1, it's similar to that. Punishing is the word that comes to mind, but when you get into it victories can be very rewarding, more so than many other games.
    Avatar image for crosstheatlantic
    CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By CrossTheAtlantic
    @Chris2KLee: 
    I've watched it, but it was awhile back. The thing that bugs me is the inability to pause. I get it, I like it, but pausing is pretty fundamental to playing games for me. Due to roommates, responsibilities, etc I find it hard to find time to just play nonstop.

But that difficulty is really fucking appealing.
    callumbay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By callumbay

It felt the same way with me, I was looking for it in my town about a week after it came out in the UK and couldn't find it anywhere. The manager of GAME didn't even know what I was talking about. I ended up ordering it on Play.com, but it says it'll take 1-2 weeks to be dispatched... still waiting.

Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Chris2KLee
    @CrossTheAtlantic said:
    " @Chris2KLee:  I've watched it, but it was awhile back. The thing that bugs me is the inability to pause. I get it, I like it, but pausing is pretty fundamental to playing games for me. Due to roommates, responsibilities, etc I find it hard to find time to just play nonstop.  But that difficulty is really fucking appealing. "
    Yeah, a lot of the games design choices are unforgiving, but when you successfully trudge back with a bunch of souls, it is amazing.
    Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25  Edited By Ineedaname

I purchased mine of Ebay I think, it was a gamble at first, but it came through it was originally an import before the game him the UK or US.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By Gabriel

I think it's my single best game this gen. 

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Karkarov
    @CrossTheAtlantic: 

You can't pause BUT you don't need to either.   Even when you play online there is always the option to quit game within the start menu.  When you use that it will literally take you back to the title screen and anything you did in that level will be saved including all mobs killed, objects broken, etc etc.  you will lose any dropped loot you had to let go or items you picked up but couldn't carry though.  When you restart from that you will be standing exactly where you were when you quit absolutely no progress is lost.  The only catch is again when you are online you might get invaded by another player, if this happens the only way to make quitting available is to kill them, get killed by them, or to pull your plug on the ps3 which is obviously frowned on. 

Play offline or in soul form only and that isn't an issue though and since you can't get invaded you can even just run to a spot you cleared of enemies and just park there when you need to.  Demon's Souls has no random spawns, patrolling enemies, or random anything.  Everything is always in the same place give or take and follows very short and controlled paths through the levels, so if you clear a spot it stays clear at least until you return to the nexus or die and the level resets.

PS: Don't watch the quicklook of demon's souls, it is horrible for showing off the game.  Now after you get good at DS and learn the ropes though it is an awesome video that will provide endless comedy and humor every time you watch it.
    mowgers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By mowgers

Ok. The game does exist. My copy arrived today. I also graduated from uni, so I haven't played it yet. I also got my degree given to me by Sir Patrick Stewart, as he is the chancellor of my university.

Today, boys and girls, was a good day.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.