Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Demon's Souls

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Oct 06, 2009

Demon's Souls is an action-RPG developed by From Software and released in 2009. It quickly became popular within hardcore circles for its relentlessly steep difficulty level, deep combat system, and unique multiplayer integration.

Demon's Souls: Tips for beginners.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By mordukai
    • Take your time. No one is rushing you. Head rushing into a new area or into a combat situation will only land you a trip to your nearest Nexus Stone. 
    • Every time you get a new item find a place you know is safe and open your inventory menu and see what this item is and what it does. Who knows, maybe this item will save your life.
    • Timing is everything in this game. If you time your combat wrong then you'll die. If you time your healing wrong then you'll die. study the moves of your enemies and learn to anticipate them. 
    • There is NO SHAME in running away from a fight. If you see a fight is not going your way then retreating is your best option. Just be careful that the enemy won't decide to hit you in the back or send an arrow flying your way.
    • Survey the combat area. Some weapons are better suited for certain situations. If you are in a tight space then swinging your sword will be useless. Instead use a rapier or a spear. If in a open space then swords and axes can become a very useful crowd control tool. 
    • Upgrade your weapons. While they are ok for the first level, base weapons are almost useless in later stages. Upgrading them will only benefit you. 
    • Maintain your equipment. From time to time go to the blacksmiths and make sure your weapons and armor are fine and dandy. 
    • When in the Nexus know where you swing your sword. People in this game have loooooooooong memory. 
    • Never underestimate your enemy even if they have low health. 
    • Be ready to be invaded at any point. Unless you play offline.
    • If you see a Blue Souls Sign then use it. Who knows, you might find a new friend. 
    • World and character tendency is a bit too much for newcomers so don't get frustrated if you can't understand how to control it. believe me, there are many other things that will frustrate you. 
    • This web site will help you a lot but be warned that it will ruin a lot of the magic of your first play-through. 

That's pretty much it for now. The rest you'll have to figure out on your own.
    Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Shadow

Be Royal as a class.  It's the most customizable and gives you the best starting stuff.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By FunExplosions
    @Mordukai said:
    "
    • If you see a Blue Souls Sign then use it. Who knows, you might find a new friend. 
    "
    This is the biggest one. I met more good people in Demon's Souls than in any other game. Just about everyone I ran into was willing to run me through a level and show me every secret there. It's also the best way to learn a lot of stuff. The player will need to talk to you via XMB messages, but the certain level of restricted communication allows for more focused gameplay.
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mordukai
    @Shadow said:
    " Be Royal as a class.  It's the most customizable and gives you the best starting stuff. "
    It 's also the class that starts off on the lowest soul level.  
    I was thinking about putting a tip about about this class but decided not to ruin the fun. 
    Fontan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Fontan

I'm receiving the game this weekend, so these tips are surely coming in handy. Thanks for that and don't be afraid of posting more. I'm sure going to need them, seeing how hard people say this game is.

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By keyhunter
    @Mordukai:  I read your first bullet point and your credibility was immediately ruined. 
    It is known fact that the best way to play through this game is to run past every enemy, dodge constantly, and kill all the bosses with ranged spells.
    FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Don't waste your time with armor, it will only slow you down.

ventilaator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By ventilaator
    @FancySoapsMan said:
    " Don't waste your time with armor, it will only slow you down. "
    This, like a lot.

If you equip a higher level armor piece and it makes you move slower, ditch it. No matter it's stats, it's not worth it.
    AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By AlexW00d

Run absolutely everywhere with your shield up. Saved my ass numerous times.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Karkarov

Yeap golden rule of Demon's Souls is that it is better to not get hit, then get hit but take no damage.  Go with that light gear, stay back and study enemy patterns, learn how to properly dodge each attack.  It will help you in the normal game and PVP if you practice this.  It is also a good idea to experiment with all kinds of weapons for awhile until you find what you like using the most.  Once you find something you like practice with it until you know it like the back of your hand.  Lastly don't be mad or upset if your first character comes out being all over the place and just feels sort of bad after you start getting into the NG's, making a new character and focusing on the stats you need and weapons you want once you have already beaten the game once is not hard at all and you will understand alot more about what it takes to succeed in the game.

rpoland123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By rpoland123

thanks for the tips, they were stupendous

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#12  Edited By KaosAngel

Slow and easy wins the race.

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Grissefar

I have a useful tip too: Dump early points into boosting your hp. Having 1000 hp instead of 600 makes all the difference in the world. The key is to not get one-shotted or locked down before you can eat your grass.

Clinkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Clinkz
    @FancySoapsMan said:
    " Don't waste your time with armor, it will only slow you down. "
    Only ditch it if you cannot roll with it. Later on, I found some vary light armor and was basically tanking the game-- taking hits and barely taking damage. @FunExplosions said:
    " @Mordukai said:
    "
    "
    This is the biggest one. I met more good people in Demon's Souls than in any other game. Just about everyone I ran into was willing to run me through a level and show me every secret there. It's also the best way to learn a lot of stuff. The player will need to talk to you via XMB messages, but the certain level of restricted communication allows for more focused gameplay. "
    People are very nice in this game and not being able to communicate easily made it sort of a magical experience for me. I seriously love this game.
    Tsoglani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Tsoglani

Hey, guys, what's up... I have been keen on buying this game for a long time, but I keep pushing it back because I don't have online capabilities for my PS3, so my question is, is it worth buying this game purely for an offline campaign? Like I said, I am not online, so does that impact on the gameplay in a large way? Or is it still worth it to play solo and offline? Feedback will be appreciated.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By CL60
    @Tsoglani said:
    " Hey, guys, what's up... I have been keen on buying this game for a long time, but I keep pushing it back because I don't have online capabilities for my PS3, so my question is, is it worth buying this game purely for an offline campaign? Like I said, I am not online, so does that impact on the gameplay in a large way? Or is it still worth it to play solo and offline? Feedback will be appreciated. "
    imo, playing without online would significantly impact the gameplay.
    TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By TheHT
    @Tsoglani: You'll be missing seeing other players' deaths, hints, and having them join your game to either help or hunt you. The multiplayer component is a big part of what made Demon's Souls, Demon's Souls.

It's interesting, but the only ones I found really useful were the deaths and hints. Still, I played it mostly alone and enjoyed it a lot.

In any case though, the servers are probably going to be shut down in March 2011 (it was planned to be shut down already but Atlus extended it to March '11), so if you're not going to have online by then might as well just get it now.
    Raymayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Raymayne
    @Tsoglani said:
    " Hey, guys, what's up... I have been keen on buying this game for a long time, but I keep pushing it back because I don't have online capabilities for my PS3, so my question is, is it worth buying this game purely for an offline campaign? Like I said, I am not online, so does that impact on the gameplay in a large way? Or is it still worth it to play solo and offline? Feedback will be appreciated. "
    Umm...of course it's worth it? The game is 99% a single player experience. I played through the whole thing never doing any co-op or PvP, and only checking a few of the little messages people left around and still had an absolutely amazing time with it and it was my 2009 GotY. Please, seriously, go for it, you really will not be missing out at all by not having any online access. There is certainly fun to be had with co-op and PvP play in the game, but this is not a game you should debate buying based on online content.
    lordbazuco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By lordbazuco

I just started recently. I'm playing as a hunter, level 25. I'm kinda playing it with a friend, we webcam communicate and  look for each other to summon as blue phantoms. Anyone have any advice for lvling up a hunter? so far I've been putting everything into dex, and some into vitality and endurance. I currently have a sharp broadsword + 1and a sticky long bow +1

Tsoglani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Tsoglani
    @Raymayne said:
    " @Tsoglani said:
    Umm...of course it's worth it? The game is 99% a single player experience. I played through the whole thing never doing any co-op or PvP, and only checking a few of the little messages people left around and still had an absolutely amazing time with it and it was my 2009 GotY. Please, seriously, go for it, you really will not be missing out at all by not having any online access. There is certainly fun to be had with co-op and PvP play in the game, but this is not a game you should debate buying based on online content. "
    Cheers, guys. I will definitely grab it then... My main fear was that if I needed online in order to beat certain bosses, etc. so I am happy to know that is not the case. 

Demon's Souls; here I come.
    Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By Death_Unicorn

I just recently started playing this game and I have a question about the actual Demon's Souls you get. Is it better to just use them, get those souls and level up, or are they worth saving for some purpose?

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By mordukai
    @Tsoglani: Cool man. Just don't give up if you die a lot. In this game you are meant to die. 
    animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By animateria
    @Death_Unicorn said:
    " I just recently started playing this game and I have a question about the actual Demon's Souls you get. Is it better to just use them, get those souls and level up, or are they worth saving for some purpose? "
    The Boss Souls are generally traded for powerful spells and occasionally used for forging weapons.  

Oh, an that smith in the Tunnel area needs one of the souls to give you options for weapon upgrades. 

The soldier souls you can just consume. But keep the boss souls around if you aren't sure what to do with em.
    Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Death_Unicorn
    @animateria: Say that my character isn't heavily invested in magic, and some boss' soul can be given to Sage Freke for some spell that I'm not interested in. Should I consume this soul?
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By CL60
    @Death_Unicorn said:
    " @animateria: Say that my character isn't heavily invested in magic, and some boss' soul can be given to Sage Freke for some spell that I'm not interested in. Should I consume this soul? "
    No, you can upgrade weapons with souls. But consume it I guess if you don't care about trophies, and you know you will never want that weapon.
    animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By animateria
    @Death_Unicorn said:
    " @animateria: Say that my character isn't heavily invested in magic, and some boss' soul can be given to Sage Freke for some spell that I'm not interested in. Should I consume this soul? "
    If you really don't want to get a spell why not? But check up on the witch and the old holy guy after you unlock them (assuming you didn't anyways). 

The only real spells you probably need is evacuation and some buff or stealth spells for support. 

I actually played a magic heavy character. Paying dearly for that on False King on NG+ though.
    Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Death_Unicorn
    @animateria:@CL60: Thanks for your assistance!
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By CL60
    @Death_Unicorn: @animateria: This should help.
    Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Death_Unicorn
    @CL60:  Gamefaqs doesn't allow you to link directly to their text files, so I'm not sure what guide or FAQ you are trying to link.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By CL60
    @Death_Unicorn said:

" @CL60:  Gamefaqs doesn't allow you to link directly to their text files, so I'm not sure what guide or FAQ you are trying to link. "

Oh, it wasn't a text file it was an image. But I guess images do that too huh. The text on the image would be too small if I posted it here.
    FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#31  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Also, even if you're a fighter it's extremely useful to invest heavily in magic.

cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By cstrang

I would also recommend being in Soul Form as often as possible, even if it means killing yourself in the Nexus.  You're more difficult to detect and kill by NPC enemies, nor do you have to worry about player characters invading your game and murdering you (and thereby often messing up your World Tendency).

Tsoglani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Tsoglani

Just traded Mafia 2 in for Demon's Souls, and I must say I am enjoying the experience so far. Granted, I am only still one 1-1, but the game has hooked me in... i am looking for the Cling Ring right now. Started as a Royal, but was torn whether I should have gone for the Soldier class, but am finding the Soul Arrow really useful.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.