Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Demon's Souls

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Oct 06, 2009

Demon's Souls is an action-RPG developed by From Software and released in 2009. It quickly became popular within hardcore circles for its relentlessly steep difficulty level, deep combat system, and unique multiplayer integration.

No online Demon's Souls once Dark Souls is released?

Ferny84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Ferny84

Will Atlus pull the plug on Demon's Souls online mode once Dark Souls is released?

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By JJOR64

I think Sony has control over the Demon's Souls I believe.  Either way, the severs will most likely stay up.  I bet there are plenty of people still playing this game.

rm082e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By rm082e

Unlikely. Demon's Souls is now a Greatest Hits title. It would look pretty bad if Sony let a core function of a popular game go dead. They've had enough bad PR lately - they certainly don't need more.

luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By luce

I hear people still play Call of Duty 4 online, why would Dark Souls make Demon's Souls somehow obsolete? 

rm082e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By rm082e
    @luce said:
    I hear people still play Call of Duty 4 online, why would Dark Souls make Demon's Souls somehow obsolete? 
    Because COD4 isn't running on dedicated servers that a publisher has to pay to maintain.
    BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By BabyChooChoo

The Demons Souls servers were supposed to go down last year until they changed their minds if memory served right. All I remember them saying is that they'll be supported "well into 2011" or something or other. It would suck if they took them down, but I wouldn't blame them. The Demons Souls population isn't all that big to begin with and it will probably get even smaller once Dark Souls comes out. Keeping them up would just be a waste of money.

Siepher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Siepher

According to Wikipedia, it goes down October 2011.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By benjaebe
    @Siepher said:
    According to Wikipedia, it goes down October 2011.
    That's when they might go down, but they've already been extended a few times. If there's still enough support for the title and people playing they'll be extended again.
    mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mutha3
    @rm082e said:
    Unlikely. Demon's Souls is now a Greatest Hits title. It would look pretty bad if Sony let a core function of a popular game go dead. They've had enough bad PR lately - they certainly don't need more.
    @JJOR64 said:
    I think Sony has control over the Demon's Souls I believe.  Either way, the severs will most likely stay up.  I bet there are plenty of people still playing this game.
    No, its Atlus that controls the servers. But they've extended them before, so I assume they'll do it again if people are still playing.
    Siepher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Siepher
    @benjaebe: Well, I do hope they extend it. 

I just purchased it right now after watching Quicklook, even though I'm already busy with DiRT 3 and inFamous 2 next week.
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By JJOR64
    @mutha3: Maybe it's Sony for Japan.  I remember ready something about Sony.  Oh well.  Either way, I'm excited for the new one.
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @benjaebe said:
    That's when they might go down, but they've already been extended a few times. If there's still enough support for the title and people playing they'll be extended again.
    Yeah but how much of that support is going to dry up when Dark Souls comes out? Considering they've been in the "incremental extension" stage for a long time now I can't help but think that the drop off that will happen after the release of Dark Souls will spell the end of Demon's Souls' online.

Unless they could be linked in some way?
    LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#13  Edited By LordAndrew
    @JJOR64 said:
    @mutha3: Maybe it's Sony for Japan.  I remember ready something about Sony.  Oh well.  Either way, I'm excited for the new one.
    Sony did publish it in Japan, so that's quite likely. Atlus put it out in North America though.
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By mordukai

I think what would happen is that the servers will stay up because Dark Souls will generate interest in Demon's Souls. 

rm082e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By rm082e

Just to be crystal clear: You can Platinum this game without ever being online. The co-op and vs. stuff is not required for anything. I just did so in the NA version and I'm almost done with the Asian version as well. If you like your RPGs single player, Demon's Souls is that. It just also has these other features.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.