Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Destiny 2

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Sep 06, 2017

The full-fledged follow-up to Bungie's sci-fi "looter shooter", streamlining much of the previous game's mechanics while featuring larger worlds and new abilities. It was later made free-to-play.

According to Destructoid, Destiny 2 will have more than 50 hours of story content, and over 80 missions and activities

• 53 results
    SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

The current issue of Edge Magazine has a big article on Destiny 2, and some of the more interesting details were posted here a day or so ago. For some reason, arguably the biggest reveal wasn't listed there. However, in what I assume is Destructoid paraphrasing the article--which they do give full credit to--they have announced what you can expect for the length of the PVE content.

According to Edge Magazine, "in total there are over 80 missions and activities in Destiny 2, and each is substantial -- in length, challenge, story and reward."

There's apparently so much content, at one point in development players were reaching the end of the character progression at around the 55-hour mark, and there was still more PVE stuff left to experience. The progression has since been tweaked to keep that drip-feed of advancement over the whole game.

Depending on how one counts the number of PVE activities, Destiny 2 is launching with something like 2-3 times as much content as Destiny 1 did, and roughly an equal number of activities to what Destiny currently has, after four paid expansions and a handful of live events.

While I haven't read the actual Edge quote for myself, I have to wonder if "50 hours of story content" was inferred by Destructoid, without being stated by Edge. Knowing that the original campaign of Destiny 1 takes a little under 12 hours to complete, and Borderlands 2 takes about 30 hours to finish, it's hard to imagine that the overall story campaign will take 50 hours in Destiny 2.

It's likely that number includes the campaign and quite a lot of post-game content. Calling everything PVE related "story" might be a bit much, though. Were calcified fragments "story" in The Taken King? But it's still great to hear that there should be a massive amount of content to the game. Perhaps the story itself will take between 20 to 30 hours, and the rest of the content will be used to build your light level to whatever the first cap happens to be.

I still have to wonder how long the main campaign will be, and how long it will take until you reach the level cap--not including light level--but I guess those reveals will probably have to wait for reviews.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Those are lofty claims; I just hope it's good. If the base game comes with only 1 raid and they continue the model of 1 extra raid per $20 DLC pack then that will be very telling.

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By theacidskull

Quanityt doesn't really define quality. 80 missions is good and all, but if they are the same bullet sponge boss battles and swarms It'll get boring pretty quickly. I want memorable missions that aren't reskins of each other. Hopefully that's what we'll get.

Destiny is the king of false advertising, so I'll bide my time. I'm glad that they are giving the second game a story, though I can't believe I'm giving credit for something that shouldn't even be a separate category.

deanoxd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

I would like to know is that with just one character? How many of those eighty hours are replaying patrol missions and strikes. I would bet dollars to doughnuts that there is not eighty hours of unique PVE content in Destiny 2. I played a lot of Destiny 1 and it amazes me how people think bungie is going to deliver anything more then a more polished version of destiny, which isn't totally bad but there isn't going to be anything earth shaking about Destiny 2. And after playing the beta thats all i saw, the strike was cool to see but i found it boring, the story mission was ok but nothing more than that. I just really feel that people's expectations for Destiny 2 are way too high.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Yeah right. And even if there really is much more story and pve content, how much will get cut out for future dlcs? I'm playing it but my expectations are very tempered.

TheRealTurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TheRealTurk

As cool as that would be, this is something that definitely falls into the "show, don't tell" category. Bungie made a lot of claims about the amount of content in the original Destiny as well, and a lot of those, while not exactly "false" in the purest sense, were definitely only "true" through a pretty skewed lens.

So if this turns out to be the actual amount of unique content, then that's great. But based on past performance, I definitely wouldn't hold my breath.

Hestilllives19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Hestilllives19

@pweidman: @deanoxd: @spaceinsomniac: "This is a sequel, one designed not only to appeal to hardened existing players, but also to lure in new ones, and those who walked away from the muddled, beautiful mess of a game that launched back in 2014. That is an endeavor that begins by fixing what was, for many, the worst about the first incarnation of Destiny: it's story, if you can call it that." I love this quote, they weren't really pulling any punches in this Edge article about Destiny 1. They go on to say "So it gives us great pleasure to report that - heavens above - Destiny 2's story is not only entertaining, but makes actual sense, from beginning to end... This is a vastly more coherent game than it's predecessor, one which may finally deliver on Destiny's undeniable potential."

This is also the full quote you were citing, "Patrols and Strikes — the only PVE activities available in Destiny 1 outside of story missions — don’t unlock until the final third of the campaign, and until the notification popped up we hadn’t even noticed their absence. In total there are over 80 missions and activities in Destiny 2, and each is substantial — in length, challenge, story and reward." Basically you are only doing Story Missions for 2/3's of the Story's length, and according to Edge they were so engrossing that they didn't even notice they hadn't done a Strike/Patrol until a notification popped up telling them they had finally unlocked Patrol and Strikes. For reference Destiny 1 only has 80 PvE activities (this includes all Story, Strike, and Raid activities, source + 3 Subclass Missions; if you include the 4 Arena modes - Prison and Challenge of Elders, Court of Oryx, and Archon's Forge it brings you up to 84, and adding the 16 Public Event and Patrols brings you up to 100) after 3 years of development and 4 DLC's, so if that's true it is as large or slightly larger at launch than all of current Destiny (though a big note is that D1 has 4 Raids compared to the 1 that will launch with D2), which is incredibly massive and almost confusing to navigate at this point. If we judge the quality by Homecoming as well (the only Story content most have seen so far), it seems to have been improved to at or above that of The Taken King Questline, arguably the best Destiny story content ever got. That's also the sentiment given by many of the industry professionals who have had hands on with the Story content like Edge, IGN, etc. Another thing to note on Story is they also mentioned there were over 50 individual cutscenes with the Story Campaign, which is significantly larger than all of D1. All of this does suggest a much more robust Story than all of D1 had even after 3 years of DLC. So the Mark Noseworthy quote of hitting the 55 hour mark before finishing all of these activities and having finished all progression may indeed have been a valid concern.

Some of the other cool tidbits from this Edge article...

• @theacidskull "Bosses are no longer attritional checks on both your damage and endurance, but rather tests of skill." See the Spoiler below if you want more information on this.
    • Nightfall now having a time limit attached.
    • Energy Weapons destroying Shields causes explosions to nearby enemies (already known and tested in the Beta by Datto, not all that significant of a thing).
    • A reward is given to all Clanmates when even 1 Clanmate finishes a Nightfall each week.
    • Guaranteed Exotic Armor is obtained during the Story playthrough (said to be rather early in the campaign, said to be in the single digits, 1-9, of your leveling).
    • The Crowd Pleaser perk on the Gunslinger can generate up to 8 orbs, which is enough to fully charge another player's Super from scratch (unknown if the large orb/small orb system from D1 is still in place, basically if Supers were charged by Orbs rather than kills, you drop smaller Orbs of Light that generate less Super when walked over).
    • Some Public Events can be activated manually by picking up a Flag that instantly recharges your Super.
    • WARNING: STORY SPOILERS FOLLOW - It was revealed about Dominus Ghaul's goals and motivations, he seeks to drain the traveler of his light, and use that power to his own nefarious ends. Edge also says that we will, within the first hour, understand what the bad guys are doing and why. They want to reshape society, and you will see the point, even if they kidnapped an ally to do so. The final campaign Boss is also a Shapeshifter, who is "neither relentlessly shelling you or swarming you with minions, but instead does just enough to ensure you are constantly moving, forever thinking, and constantly under threat... his health bar goes down quickly once you actually land shots on him, but the real battle is creating the opportunity to do so." So it seems very unlikely that Dominus Ghaul is the final Campaign Boss, he is either dealt with prior to the final fight, or also very likely, is the first Raid Boss.
    • @pyrodactyl There is a hidden Hunter related bonus that will make Hunters very happy, but Edge was asked not to reveal this secret, but they did say "Suffice to say, it's going to be alright" (very likely talking about the vast unrest many Hunters have had in regards to Destiny 2). Many are speculating that this is indeed the return of Nightstalker (which would also indicate Sunbreaker and Stormcaller returning as well) to fill the much needed Support role Hunters are lacking with Arcstrider and Gunslinger. While this is possible, it could be something else entirely, like a hidden bonus added to their Evade ability since the Beta.
    • Edge also said "There is plenty more we can't talk about, one day you must ask us about The Magician." Nobody has any idea what this is in reference to, but they made it sound like the coolest thing they saw with Destiny 2.

So all in all, there is a lot to be excited for with Destiny 2. Tempered expectations are to be expected, especially by those who felt they were "burned" by the first Destiny. But all indications are, at least at this point, this will not be the same "beautiful mess" Destiny 1 was.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thats cool, hopefully the writing and mission design is better though.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't read 50+ hour count as story content.

Reaching 'the end of the character progression at around the 55-hour mark' could mean 12 hours of story content and then a whole , whole lot of grinding.

That could also be the upper limit of dragging the character progression out. Maybe the average is 30 hours.

Having 80 'missions and activities' sounds like a good amount, but who knows what they include under 'activities'. I'm sure the game will be fine but these numbers don't mean a lot.

Hestilllives19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Hestilllives19

@paulmako: According to many who have played D2 the Lost Sectors, Adventures, and other PvE content you are alluding to have also been infused with both Story and Lore of the Destiny world, so the Campaign isn't the only place story will exist in Destiny 2. And while the Campaign may only account for between 1/3 to half (if it's consistent with what we already know about how many Lost Sectors/Adventures there are) of those 80 PvE activities, that's still a very large Campaign alone that will likely work similarly to how they did for the D1 DLC's. Basically if there are 30 Campaign missions, we will get around 10 Post Campaign missions that act as a sort of side Campaign after the main Campaign and lead directly into the Raid. It is also likely those missions or others lead directly into the talked about Hidden Exotic Questlines for D2.

Your thought on the 55-hour mark is just flat out wrong though. The Mark Noseworthy's quote is saying they added progression, in other words they extended progression in some form or fashion to match how extensive their content was, rather than your theory that this 55-hour mark was somehow regrinding of old content or cheap non story elements. It also means progression of a character will actually now take longer than that 55-hour mark.

Also, if you read my post above, Destiny 1 only has 84 PvE activities to date, after 3 years. So if you've played all of the D1 content, you will realize that this is indeed a staggering amount of PvE content. Doing everything in D1 just once right now can easily take a player well over 100 hours.

deanoxd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have no idea if the game is good or bad, that will become clear in just a few weeks, but i still think (my opinion) is that the story will last 8-12 hours and the rest of the 80 missions will be the grind of patrols/strikes/world events. Destiny 2 isn't enough of a RPG to have 50+ hours of story content and in my opinion bungie doesn't have the background or the chops to pull off that length of a story campaign. I just think we all need to temper our expectations a bit.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By geirr

Oh good, so I can finish it in two days then and move on with my life. ٩(♡ε♡)۶

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
    Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

Oh baby! I hope this ends up being great.

BoccKob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does story just mean the dumb AI buddy rambles on more while I shoot waves of dudes and click on computer consoles?

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15  Edited By Evilsbane

I want to be excited I really do, but I just can't help but feel like it is going to be the exact same game, honestly worse because I played the beta and the game didn't feel that great to play which is strange because Destiny 1 certainly felt good to play, they also dumbed everything down to the point of where the loot might feel even more pointless.

Also, One Raid, at least the raid is actually in the game at launch this time but I can't help but feel this is a key piece of evidence that this game isn't actually going to be that much bigger than Destiny 1.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By pyrodactyl

@hestilllives19: I'll just say that just keeping nightstalker from Destiny 1 in Destiny 2 would be enough to keep me playing Hunter as a main but it wouldn't be exciting or "alright". It would just be nerfed nightstalker. Less abilities, less options, a huge cooldown on shadestep. How would that be "alright"? Everyone gets cool new shit. Hunters get old stuff but worse? Anyway, I hope there's more to it than that. If that's their surprise it's neither exciting nor surprising.

PS: For comparison just look at the beginning of this video:

Loading Video...

They made Warlocks into unkillable gods in PvE and that's just on a single abillity they all share. Nevermind all the cool shit I saw down the Dawnbreaker and Voidwalker trees. Not saying this stuff is OP and should be nerfed. I'm saying other classes should be as effective, versatile and rewarding as Warlocks. Maybe they will be. Based on my impressions of the Beta it's not looking good for Hunters on that front at all

Avatar image for deactivated-60b3efc3d52d7
    deactivated-60b3efc3d52d7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

More is not always better

Hestilllives19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrodactyl: Yeah, while I do think the 3 Taken King Subclasses will be there at launch, I don't think Nightstalker is what Edge was referring to personally. I think there is some other bonus to the Evade we don't yet know or understand that will be made more clear at launch. If it's just Nightstalker, that is one of the lamest teases ever. The better question, in my mind at least, is what the heck could "The Magician" be? I assume a new Exotic Weapon of some type, but I honestly have no idea.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrodactyl: Yeah, while I do think the 3 Taken King Subclasses will be there at launch, I don't think Nightstalker is what Edge was referring to personally. I think there is some other bonus to the Evade we don't yet know or understand that will be made more clear at launch. If it's just Nightstalker, that is one of the lamest teases ever. The better question, in my mind at least, is what the heck could "The Magician" be? I assume a new Exotic Weapon of some type, but I honestly have no idea.

It's crazy that apparently something unknown about the Hunter class is going to make it worthwhile, but Bungie isn't saying. I get that you want to save some cool reveals for the main game, but if the vast majority of your community thinks you dropped the ball on an entire class, how you un-fucked that up is kind of an important message to get out there. This just seems dumb, but I guess we'll have to wait for an actual explanation.

Add me to the "it better not be the Nightstalker" group. Even if it was, and even if the class rework was amazing, and even if the class somehow makes the dodge great, that still leaves two out of three sub-classes that are stuck with a really crappy dodge move on a really long cooldown.

As I've said before, something about the dodge needs to change, and Bungie needs to explain how they're handling the situation. I can reload behind a pillar or a rock, thank you, and melee in PVE is a good way to get killed. Compared to instant health regen and a giant shield that blocks enemy attacks, the hunter's new ability is a joke.

I actually respect Bungie for playing their cards close to their chest, and not letting marketing spoil a bunch of cool surprises, but this isn't something that should be held back. Hunter players are concerned, and after the beta, they have a right to be.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By ll_Exile_ll  Online

@evilsbane said:

I want to be excited I really do, but I just can't help but feel like it is going to be the exact same game, honestly worse because I played the beta and the game didn't feel that great to play which is strange because Destiny 1 certainly felt good to play, they also dumbed everything down to the point of where the loot might feel even more pointless.

Also, One Raid, at least the raid is actually in the game at launch this time but I can't help but feel this is a key piece of evidence that this game isn't actually going to be that much bigger than Destiny 1.

Raids have always been present at launch. They simply delay the raid availability anywhere from a few days to a week in order to give players time to make their way through the character progression and become raid ready. Even if the raid was open at minute one of launch, no one would be able to do it the first day. Even the crazies that play 20 hours a day wouldn't be ready to raid for at least a couple days, and no normal person would be ready to raid for a week. As it is, there will be a not insignificant percentage of the playerbase that won't have progressed enough to raid when it becomes available a week after launch.

Secondly, there being one raid at launch is no indication whatsoever of the amount of content in the game. Having two new raids at once is not something Bungie wants to do. They don't want players feeling like they have to dedicate too much time per week to raiding. Even with Age of Triumph where they brought all existing raids up to current level, they still had only one of them be the weekly featured raid that gave out the best loot at a time, meaning you still only really had to focus on one raid per week.

The real indicator will be whether the first and majority of subsequent expansions have a raid. If they can do 2 or 3 raids a year as opposed to the 1 per year they've been doing, that will be a big improvement. Personally, I'd rather have a new raid every few months than have to juggle multiple raids at launch.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

In-game, or do I have to track all this bullshit down on a website or through some app?

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

In-game, or do I have to track all this bullshit down on a website or through some app?

I would imagine that the campaign takes five hours, and the other 50 hours of story content is devoted to an ARG.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

All the people in here being all "quality over quantity," did any of y'all even play the first game? That game's number one issue, with a bullet, was that it played great and had nothing to do. If they are promising as much content as the whole of Destiny 1 after the Taken King had arrived at the launch of Destiny 2, then I have complete faith that this will be a better experience than Destiny 1. After all, nothing in the Beta led me to believe that somehow their super tight gunplay and headshot feel has magically gone to shit.

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bollard said:

All the people in here being all "quality over quantity," did any of y'all even play the first game? That game's number one issue, with a bullet, was that it played great and had nothing to do. If they are promising as much content as the whole of Destiny 1 after the Taken King had arrived at the launch of Destiny 2, then I have complete faith that this will be a better experience than Destiny 1. After all, nothing in the Beta led me to believe that somehow their super tight gunplay and headshot feel has magically gone to shit.

Better experience doesn't quite equate "good", not when the first destiny experience was non-existant beyond the gameplay, even though the advertising would have us believe otherwise. Considering all the lies, you can't really blame the fans to be cautious with what Activision/Bungie tell us. The addition of a story is good, but every mission in the first destiny could have been narrowed down to bullet sponge bosses and a couple of swarms here and there to keep us occupied. So if that's the kind of "experience" they have in mind, I'm out. Though the game isn't out yet so we'll see how it turns out.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ll_Exile_ll  Online

@bollard said:

Better experience doesn't quite equate "good", not when the first destiny experience was non-existant beyond the gameplay, even though the advertising would have us believe otherwise. Considering all the lies, you can't really blame the fans to be cautious with what Activision/Bungie tell us. The addition of a story is good, but every mission in the first destiny could have been narrowed down to bullet sponge bosses and a couple of swarms here and there to keep us occupied. So if that's the kind of "experience" they have in mind, I'm out. Though the game isn't out yet so we'll see how it turns out.

I take it you didn't play anything beyond vanilla Destiny? Destiny hasn't been "bullet sponge bosses and a couple of swarms here and there to keep us occupied" in three years. I understand a lot of people were burned with the original launch of Destiny and didn't fork over any more money, but a lot of the fear/cynicism that Destiny 2 will be what Destiny 1 was at launch is ludicrous considering Destiny 1 itself has been way better than over the past two major fall releases.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bollard said:

The ridiculous amount of times that your ghost would scan something and then on cue waves of enemies would spawn in not withstanding, what kind of gameplay variety did you want from the first Destiny that was never realized?

More specifically, please name some first-person shooters that you enjoy, and offer the kind of gameplay variety that you would want to see in Destiny 2. Also how do you feel that the game should change from the original Destiny to accommodate that variety?

"You do the same thing over and over" just strikes me as a complaint that can be leveled against almost any game, and rarely do people making this complaint go into details as how exactly they think the problem should be fixed. So if you care to, please do. I'd consider the underlined question to be the most important.

That goes for anyone who cares to answer. I'd be interested to hear a more "constructive criticism" version your opinion.

galerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's all good on the story front if it's true, but I hope it will not take that long to fully unlock your classes (and subclasses)

There's apparently so much content, at one point in development players were reaching the end of the character progression at around the 55-hour mark, and there was still more PVE stuff left to experience. The progression has since been tweaked to keep that drip-feed of advancement over the whole game.

This quote worries me. I like story focused activities as much as the next guy but I would like a full compliment of my classes skills available asap, mainly cause I want to use them in the crucible. I hope "The progression has since been tweaked to keep that drip-feed of advancement over the whole game" means the progress of your gear/light.

Hestilllives19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Hestilllives19

@galerian: That is spot on my hope, and fears too. As someone that will be playing all 3 classes, if it takes me 100+ hours to level each of my Subclasses on all 3 characters and get them to 20, I'm actually going to be rather annoyed. It's one thing to fix the problems that exist, it's another thing entirely to fix things that weren't broken to begin with. The feel of Destiny progression has been tweaked so much over the past 3 years that it feels almost perfect, if not a tad bit too quick outside of Subclasses. Hopefully that isn't slowed much (probably needs to slow from current back down to launch Rise of Iron levels, but without those LL gates that artificially slowed progression at 350 and 365). My hope is that Mark's quote means they slowed the leveling to 20 process a bit, maybe made it require more XP to hit 20, because that is fine. Just don't touch Subclass leveling timeframes and go back to crappy LL designs like all of the non full Infusions systems they had in the Taken King (in other words infusion stays LL to LL between items).

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spaceinsomniac: to be fair anyone complaining about specific hunter abilities is already way too bought in to not pick up Destiny 2 at launch. If they have a thing that fixes hunters we'll know then. Which is fine. On the other hand, if they have some half assed bullshit like bringing back Nightstalker as is or worse, nothing at all, this would be some misleading garbage and totally in line with Bungie messaging since vanilla came out.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

I don't subscribe to the idea that length is indicative of fun. I would probably be OK with D2 having a short 4 hour-story, so long as the endgame is in place.

I don't play Destiny for the story. I don't play it for the solo play either. While impressive if true, none of these claims get me excited (luckily lots of other news on the game has certainly gotten me excited though). This probably matters more to people like the GB crew. Brad and Jeff will likely enjoy this.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#31  Edited By Skytylz

@theacidskull said:
    @bollard said:

The ridiculous amount of times that your ghost would scan something and then on cue waves of enemies would spawn in not withstanding, what kind of gameplay variety did you want from the first Destiny that was never realized?

More specifically, please name some first-person shooters that you enjoy, and offer the kind of gameplay variety that you would want to see in Destiny 2. Also how do you feel that the game should change from the original Destiny to accommodate that variety?

"You do the same thing over and over" just strikes me as a complaint that can be leveled against almost any game, and rarely do people making this complaint go into details as how exactly they think the problem should be fixed. So if you care to, please do. I'd consider the underlined question to be the most important.

That goes for anyone who cares to answer. I'd be interested to hear a more "constructive criticism" version your opinion.

I want well designed spaces for encounters with enemies that aren't bullet sponges. I have doubts they can do this well though because of the open world and the loot aspects though.

The obvious shooter to compare is Halo. Halo has tanky enemies, but most can be taken down quickly with the right weapon combination that you are able to find on the battlefield. Since it's not a loot game, switching in and out weapons isn't a big deal.

Destiny has the problem of you collecting a weapon and wanting to keep it until you find better ones. This leads to enemies being relatively susceptible to all weapons. They also have to scale as you go because your damage increases significantly.

I think this is where the feeling of repetitiveness comes from. It's just shooting the weak spots of enemies with the last best weapon you found again and again. I would argue that the gameplay of Destiny is not good. The "feel" of the shooting is fine, but all other aspects of gameplay are not.

Also, all these encounters are centered around your little robot scanning things. Or at least it felt that way in the 10 hours I played before moving on with my life.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@skytylz said:
    @spaceinsomniac said:
    @theacidskull said:
    @bollard said:

I want well designed spaces for encounters with enemies that aren't bullet sponges. I have doubts they can do this well though because of the open world and the loot aspects though.

The obvious shooter to compare is Halo. Halo has tanky enemies, but most can be taken down quickly with the right weapon combination that you are able to find on the battlefield. Since it's not a loot game, switching in and out weapons isn't a big deal.

Destiny has the problem of you collecting a weapon and wanting to keep it until you find better ones. This leads to enemies being relatively susceptible to all weapons. They also have to scale as you go because your damage increases significantly.

I think this is where the feeling of repetitiveness comes from. It's just shooting the weak spots of enemies with the last best weapon you found again and again. I would argue that the gameplay of Destiny is not good. The "feel" of the shooting is fine, but all other aspects of gameplay are not.

Also, all these encounters are centered around your little robot scanning things. Or at least it felt that way in the 10 hours I played before moving on with my life.

No offense intended, but it is quite clear you played the game for 10 hours and never went back. What you are describing is not Destiny. It was Destiny when it first launched. It hasn't been that in more than three years at this point. Ever since House of Wolves the game had changed in meaningful ways to the point almost none of your criticism really applied anymore (I actually had to think for a minute what you meant by bullet-sponge enemies for instance, I had completely forgotten the game used to be like that).

There are some people in this thread who never stopped playing Destiny, or returned to it later to find a much better game. I understand that you didn't like what you played and you were in no obligation to go back to it later, but it's just not accurate anymore.

Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All I know is that I'm ready for Destiny 2. If it uses the final form of Destiny 1 as its base and builds from there it's going to be a good time.

galerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By galerian

@hestilllives19: Yea, I don't mind they prolong the light level progression, since I don't think there will be any crucible activity that is going to be light-level dependent at the beginning. All of those activities needing light level will be PvE (nightfall,etc), and tying them down to story progression is fine in my opinion.

Hestilllives19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Hestilllives19

@galerian: I'm not sure that will be true. I'm fully expecting (and Luke Smith even said, "I can't imagine shipping Destiny 2 and not having a Trials-like experience there very soon") Trials of the Nine to be available starting pretty quickly after launch. If I had to guess, the first D2 Raid will launch on September 9th at 10am Pacific. Then they will launch Trials of the Nine on September 16th at 10am Pacific the week after (Trials relaunched 2 weeks after Rise of Iron compared to the 6 week wait after Taken King, so I'd expect a more similar launch to Rise). If for some reason they postpone the Raid until the 16th (which is possible, though they have hinted at a release date similar to Rise of Iron's Wrath of the Machine which launched at the end of launch week on Friday), my assumption would still be the following week on the 23rd of September. Though if D2 is going to be as large as Edge suggested, we probably need them to wait until the 16th to drop the first Raid so everyone will be able to be Raid ready for it. Though that brings with it some other problems that Wrath of the Machine ran into for some of those "power players" who had already hit level cap (some past it due to the way LL worked at the time) before the launch of Wrath.

Keep in mind there is a lot of weekly events that will very likely be happening in the timeframe between launch and the first DLC which is rumored to launch on Dec. 5th (Coldheart Preorder becomes available to all Destiny players on that day, which doesn't happen until the next DLC's launch historically, is exactly 3 months after launch, and has the same launch week as The Dark Below did for D1 in Y1). You have Raid launch, Hard Raid launch, Raid Challenge Modes launch, Trials of the Nine launch, Iron Banner launch and likely 2 other instances of IB, and Festival of the Lost (it's unlikely they will skip that after having it in Destiny for 2 years in a row). That's basically 9 of your 13 weeks with Events, so those will likely be coming fast. If I had to guess (keep in mind this is complete speculation on my part), that schedule will likely look pretty similar to this...

• September 9th: Normal Raid launch
    • September 16th: Trials of the Nine launch
    • September 19th: Iron Banner launch
    • October 3rd: First major patch (LL changes for HM release, ie actual Max LL launched, and other things) and release of Hard Raid
    • October 17th: Iron Banner 2
    • October 23rd -November 6th: Festival of the Lost
    • November 10th: Raid Challenge Modes launch
    • November 21st: Iron Banner 3
    • December 5th: DLC 1 launch
    Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@zevvion: I played demo before launch, didn't like it so I didn't buy it. Then I bought the version with the taken king because people were saying it was better. Must have meant the content added after the main game? Because the 10 hours I played with the taken king expansion didn't seem all that different than the demo.

galerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hestilllives19: First time I heard of the raid and trials presumed release date. Is it from the Edge story as well?

I think power players are fringe cases, and designing or gating content/progression around them is not optimal.

Hestilllives19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Hestilllives19

@galerian: No, all of that is speculation based on Bungie comments by places like Reddit. Though since it's speculation based on pretty straightforward Date hints by Bungie, it's very likely to be at least close to the truth. I'm not saying those dates will be accurate, just that they are highly probably and those Events will very likely happen around that timeframe.

Bungie did say that they plan on announcing the Raid launch date at "the end of summer" and they will be at Gamescom come August 26th, so I would fully expect them to show off the name of the D2 Raid and tell us the launch date then. I highly doubt D2 launches without that information being known, and we are only 3 weeks away from launch now, so...

Edit: Just noticed your comment about "power player". While "power players" are indeed fringe cases, Bungie likes to make a big show of Raid launch day and Worlds First for the Raid is a big deal on Twitch and Youtube, as in Destiny is the top 1-3 games on Twitch all day those days with 75k-100k viewers. With those fringe cases always being the first few teams to finish the Raids. This is due to several reasons, they are all highly skilled and have put in the most time before the Raid's launch. If these players have hit max light level, a lot of the Raid's challenge on Day 1 is taken away. We saw that pretty noticeably when Wrath of the Machine launched on both Normal and Hard when players were already at around 380-386LL for Normal and started Hard in the 386-388LL range. Releasing on the first week keeps that artificial LL challenge as part of the World's First race to an extent, so players have to not only learn the Raid but also fight a bit underleveled like most of the rest of us will on our first run. Personally my only problem with it launching on Week 1 is that I feel rushed to get Raid ready by the end of the week. Which will be near impossible, even with me taking off work if we do indeed have 100+ hours of content and leveling to wade through before the Raid. At worst my first character, a Titan, should be close in that time, but I will only be able to run that character in week 1. I prefer to play all 3 characters so I'd like to have at least 2 Raid ready before it ships, so I'd love a September 16th launch, but I doubt they will wait 10 days on the Raid, though I could be wrong and kinda hope I am.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@skytylz: Be sure I'm not trying to convince you you should have liked the game. You clearly do not, I just meant to say the reasons you listed seemed 'old' I guess.

@galerian They are likely gating certain story missions or otherwise unique timed content behind invisible timers, not your class abilities or anything of that sort. You can expect a Light Level increases and/or new gear to attain every so often obviously, but that is the nature of the type of game it is: your stuff will eventually be old.

As far as class perks go, those are gated behind a specific resource and must be bought. They haven't explained how this works at all yet, but I doubt it will be a strenuous exercise over the course of multiple weeks to unlock them all. They'll likely be obtained through story missions or something of the sort, otherwise bought from a certain vendor at reasonable prices.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion said:

@skytylz: Be sure I'm not trying to convince you you should have liked the game. You clearly do not, I just meant to say the reasons you listed seemed 'old' I guess.

@galerian They are likely gating certain story missions or otherwise unique timed content behind invisible timers, not your class abilities or anything of that sort. You can expect a Light Level increases and/or new gear to attain every so often obviously, but that is the nature of the type of game it is: your stuff will eventually be old.

As far as class perks go, those are gated behind a specific resource and must be bought. They haven't explained how this works at all yet, but I doubt it will be a strenuous exercise over the course of multiple weeks to unlock them all. They'll likely be obtained through story missions or something of the sort, otherwise bought from a certain vendor at reasonable prices.

Actually, it seems like they'll be tied to the new "Adventure" mission type:

Loading Video...

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By theacidskull

@spaceinsomniac said:
    @theacidskull said:
    @bollard said:

Something more to the taste of Halo or doom. I have no problem with swarms, but their involvement in the game has to be a bit more dynamic. In halo and doom there are layers with how you can combat an onslaught of aliens/demons coming your way. For a game claiming to be revolutionary, which IMO had great PVP, the AI combat in the actual game was really dull. it wasn't even hard , since most swarms could have been combated the same way. It all narrowed down to finding a couple of safe spots and alternating between them a lot. And don't get me started on the bosses....they were just massive targets meant to absorb bullets with no real difficulty. They just had a very long health bar that to TIME to deplete. And that's the gist of it, it was needlessly time consuming and dull, lacking any form of dynamic gameplay. Long health bars aren't the problem by the way, I mean, it's a raid, it has to take some time to complete, but every boss played exactly the same way. As a player you have no incentive to update your play-style: You enter the arena, dispatch the fodder, and then shoot the boss for a couple of hours from a safe spot with a your buddies until the boss eventually dies. It's fun the first time, extremely boring the second. Besides, Destiny didn't even have any real story or captivating lore to to keep me coming back. basically neither the gameplay nor the narrative have any form of depth. I had literally no desire to purchase any of the DLC after the main game because there was nothing about the main game to hook in the first place.

My Argument isn't that Destiny should be "halo" or "doom", but considering the fact that I've actually seen Bungie make a game a legitimate experience that requires brain power and strategy as opposed to just literal free time, It's disheartening to see them throw that away for some fancy superficial quirks. Destiny played wonderfully, but it was boring, REALLY boring, and it incorporated the gameplay in a very superficial way. I'm not saying this will be accurate for Destiny 2, but I'm just being cautious, as are many other FPS fans.

I'm sorry if my english is a little broken, I am not a native speaker and I may be...possibly drunk. :)

galerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion said:

Actually, it seems like they'll be tied to the new "Adventure" mission type:

Loading Video...

Cool info, thanks.

Long health bars aren't the problem by the way, I mean, it's a raid, it has to take some time to complete, but every boss played exactly the same way.

Not to dismiss your point outright, but the bosses in raids are not just bullet sponges (i.e You handle the Warpriest differently from the Sisters). I think you are referring to the strikes, which I agreed for the most part are just bullet sponges and the mechanics to take em down narrow down to dps boss/trash mobs -> hide ->repeat.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theacidskull: First of all, your English seems good to me. No worries there.

Secondly, I don't know if it's just misremembering the feelings from playing Halo all those years ago, but I do seem to remember the battles in that game being much more "epic" than anything in Destiny, especially with the use of vehicles and large-scale battles. In that sense, I can kind of see your point. Destiny never quite reaches that point. In addition to the forum poster above me, I'll also agree that strike bosses could have used more of the sort of variety that raid bosses offered.

The game did get a lot better with The Taken King, though. Here's hoping that Destiny 2 can be even more of an improvement.

galerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spaceinsomniac: Agreed, they did do strikes that adds variety and mechanics to the boss encounters in Taken King and Rise of Iron, like the Echo Chamber. But D2 beta strike boss was so one note and dull (and I like almost everything before the boss), it's a bit disconcerting.

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Supposedly the open world areas are bigger and I'm guessing are going to have more MMO-like fetch quests which could potentially send you to multiple locations. That's my guess.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@franstone: You don't have to guess that, they already talked about that openly.

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By theacidskull

@theacidskull: First of all, your English seems good to me. No worries there.

Secondly, I don't know if it's just misremembering the feelings from playing Halo all those years ago, but I do seem to remember the battles in that game being much more "epic" than anything in Destiny, especially with the use of vehicles and large-scale battles. In that sense, I can kind of see your point. Destiny never quite reaches that point. In addition to the forum poster above me, I'll also agree that strike bosses could have used more of the sort of variety that raid bosses offered.

The game did get a lot better with The Taken King, though. Here's hoping that Destiny 2 can be even more of an improvement.

I've replayed them a couple of times with my cousin when the Collection came out and i have to say that they really holds up. Destiny had all the tools to recreate an epic experience but it just couldn't get there.

I agree, here's hoping that Destiny 2 kills it.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By glots

Seems like the best fit for posting without making a whole new thread.

Loading Video...

No song covers blaring...yet. Maybe they're saving that for a live-action one.

galerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@glots: Oh man, the 60fps goodness.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.