Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Destiny 2

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Sep 06, 2017

The full-fledged follow-up to Bungie's sci-fi "looter shooter", streamlining much of the previous game's mechanics while featuring larger worlds and new abilities. It was later made free-to-play.

Does Destiny 2 belong in GOTY 2017 Top Ten?

• 118 results
    Fitzgerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By Fitzgerald

Poll Does Destiny 2 belong in GOTY 2017 Top Ten? (552 votes)

Yes 47%
    No 53%

Just want to take the temperature of the Community on this one.

• 
    gerrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By gerrid

I don't think it'll make the top 10 if only because there's so many routes to attack it, and they've all played it, so the griping will be amplified.

The GOTY discussions are often about tearing down games from every angle, and even in their enthusiastic period with Destiny 2 during launch week they couldn't help but talk endlessly about all the problems it has. About the most they can ever say to praise the game is "the shooting feels really good" and that's it.

So in that scenario I can see it just getting beaten to a bloody pulp

Personally it's hovering at the 9 or 10th place in my GOTY list, but in most years it would be higher. I thought the single player was fun, well paced, and the environments are fantastic. Just a shame you run out of things to do so quickly.

elmorales94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion said:

That's the thing I'm talking about. How would it be idiotic if someone enjoyed Destiny 2 the most out of all the games released this year? It's clear you don't feel that way, but why would that mean no one does?

What does their liking or enjoyment has to do with the game of the year? Just because lot of people consume McDonalds over 5 star meal that does not make McDonald’s better, game of the year is about best of the best, If we start using your logic then every call of duty game deserves to be the game of the year.

That's a rough analogy. People don't eat McDonald's because they like it more than a "five-star meal," they do it because it's cheap and easy. Even then, that's not the point they're speaking to. It's not about what the most people like, it's about what people (the crew) like the most.

superprohero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superprohero said:
    @zevvion said:

That's the thing I'm talking about. How would it be idiotic if someone enjoyed Destiny 2 the most out of all the games released this year? It's clear you don't feel that way, but why would that mean no one does?

What does their liking or enjoyment has to do with the game of the year? Just because lot of people consume McDonalds over 5 star meal that does not make McDonald’s better, game of the year is about best of the best, If we start using your logic then every call of duty game deserves to be the game of the year.

That's a rough analogy. People don't eat McDonald's because they like it more than a "five-star meal," they do it because it's cheap and easy. Even then, that's not the point they're speaking to. It's not about what the most people like, it's about what people (the crew) like the most.

That is my point, just like people don’t have enough money to try something better in similar manner lot of people don't have enough skill or brain power to try something better and there are lot of people with Shitty taste who will actually say McDonalds is better than 5 star meal, just like how people are here claiming that destiny is game of the year material. Just because something is enjoyable that doesn't mean it is master piece, call of duty has way more fans with high sales figure than any other game and most of those fans will agree that call of duty is most enjoyable shooter ever, if number of losers enjoyment=quality than call of duty>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>every game ever made.

Sharpless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

For me personally? Yes. It would be near the top, if not at the top. This is, however, largely because I don't buy a lot of games.

Does it belong on a more well-rounded list? I would also say yes, but probably not near the top. Destiny 2 is an excellent game that feels just as good as its predecessor, but its endgame grind doesn't currently hold up as well as I would've hoped. There are so many improvements that could, and hopefully will, be made, but future improvements don't really mean jack at the moment.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

@elmorales94 said:
    @superprohero said:
    @zevvion said:

That is my point, just like people don’t have enough money to try something better in similar manner lot of people don't have enough skill or brain power to try something better and there are lot of people with Shitty taste who will actually say McDonalds is better than 5 star meal, just like how people are here claiming that destiny is game of the year material. Just because something is enjoyable that doesn't mean it is master piece, call of duty has way more fans with high sales figure than any other game and most of those fans will agree that call of duty is most enjoyable shooter ever, if number of losers enjoyment=quality than call of duty>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>every game ever made.

That isn't the logic I was using at all. You claimed that people who think Destiny is one of the best games of the year are as bad as your perception of D2, which apparently is very bad. Since game of the year is entirely subjective, your claim has no validity on that front. It appears as if you think your opinion is fact, in this case D2 being bad, and you seem to think very lowly of people who's opinions don't align with your own.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@elmorales94 said:
    @superprohero said:
    @zevvion said:

Sorry personal taste and enjoyment is all that has ever fueled game of the year.

It has never been objective cold and calculating Best of the Best.

superprohero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion: It seems like you don't even understand the meaning of the game of the year, tell me what does game of the year means to you?

superprohero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By superprohero

@efesell said:

Sorry personal taste and enjoyment is all that has ever fueled game of the year.

well i always use to think that game of the year is award given to the Best of the Best.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#109  Edited By LiquidPrince

Definitely for me. Top 5 actually.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@efesell said:

well i always use to think that game of the year is award given to the Best of the Best.

Well... turns out no. At least not in the cold logical meaning of Best.

I mean I can see where the thought would come from the name is very descriptive, but actual people don't just set aside their thoughts and opinions and mechanically judge things like that.

Have you ever listened to the deliberations here?

superprohero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@efesell said:
    @superprohero said:
    @efesell said:

Well... turns out no. At least not in the cold logical meaning of Best.

I mean I can see where the thought would come from the name is very descriptive, but actual people don't just set aside their thoughts and opinions and mechanically judge things like that.

Have you ever listened to the deliberations here?

Well than what is the even point of the game of the year? When game does nothing new, when it does not even feel little fresh then it's previous entry, When there are multiple games in the market which are way fresh and way better yet for some lame ass reason they will not even get a chance, then game of the year is basically meaningless.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion: It seems like you don't even understand the meaning of the game of the year, tell me what does game of the year means to you?

The game of the year is what you think the best game of the year is. There are no objective measurements for entertainment to say something is the best for everyone, hence it is entirely subjective. What do you think Game of the Year means? Whatever you think the Game of the Year is should be the same for everyone?

Jeldh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would probably put it in the top 5 atleast, I'm having a blast with this game.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

I refuse to play it, so that's a no by default. (Voted to see what the community's consensus was)

superprohero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion said:
    @superprohero said:

The game of the year is what you think the best game of the year is.

So is destiny 2 greatest game you have played this year?

1. Zelda

2. Mario

3. Mario + Rabbids

4. Nier

5. Nioh

6. Horizon

7. Wolfenstien

8. Cuphead

9. Uncharted

10. Splatoon

11. Sonic Mania

12. Divinity

13. Yakuza

14. Pyre

15. Persona 5

16. Ff14 Stormblood

17. PoE complete eddition

18. hollow knight

19. Gravity Rush 2

20. Resident Evil 7

21. Tekken 7

22. forza 7

23. THE EVIL WITHIN II

24. call of duty

25. star wars battlefront 2

26. shadow of war

Among these many games you are telling me that destiny 2 was the most enjoyable?

There are no objective measurements for entertainment to say something is the best for everyone, hence it is entirely subjective.

Yep, taste is subjective then why even bother with things like game of the year?

What do you think Game of the Year means? Whatever you think the Game of the Year is should be the same for everyone?

I really don't think that way, game of the year should be more than a result of the biased product.

Game of the year should be the most unique and complete experience, it should be an experience which cannot be replicated by other thousands of games. Game of the year should be good enough to inspire developers to make their games better and bit unique, game of the year should be good enough to set better standards for industry not other way around.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superprohero: Game of the year is a reflection on the things you liked that year, that is all. It is not a meticulously studied high honor affair.

You want to attach a deeper meaning to it but honestly most people just like to make lists.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superprohero: As a full release, yes Destiny 2 is easily the best game I have played this year. It doesn't need to be unique. I didn't choose Gone Home as game of the year like many outlets did because I was bored playing the game. The game of the year is the best game I have played all year. Nothing else matters. There are no metrics like sound, gameplay, originality or anything else that dictates the choice other than what you like playing best. For me that was Destiny 2. For others, it will be different games.

What is your goal exactly here by trying to dissuade people from picking D2 as one of their favorites games this year? Why are people only allowed to be taking one of the 26 games you listed, and no other? Why do you consider your opinion on good games so much more important than anyone else's?

You hit the nail on the head when you asked 'why bother with game of the year then?'. That's exactly it: it doesn't matter. It's an opinion. You can be interested in other people's opinions which is why you could bother with game of the year. But now it appears you're not interested in any other opinion that isn't reflective of your own. Yeah, it's pointless then and best to avoid it. Opinions don't matter for anything other than being interested in what someone thinks; and game of the year is 100% opinion.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

I doubt it would be in my personal top 30. It strikes me as a 3-4 star game.

But GB? Well you know Brad likes that kind of game although he doesn't seem to have the fever like he did for 1 so it's got a shot.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superprohero: My dude you had EA, Ubisoft and Activision games all up in your list of Insteads.

elmorales94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By elmorales94

@superprohero:

This is not a thread meant to discuss whether or not Destiny 2 will be named THE Game of the Year. Giant Bomb compiles a final list of ten games to more fully represent the high points of the year in video games. This is a thread meant to discuss whether it will land on our personal top ten lists and/or Giant Bomb's top ten list. If someone utterly loves Destiny, how can you dispute them putting it on their list? If the crew ends up still loving it, why force the process to prevent them from expressing their contentment? They certainly don't like it enough to give it the top spot, but it seems as if they do really dig it.

Most people on the crew have been in this racket for a fairly long time. For the most part, they know derivative, stale products when they see them. Your supposition that sales figures would play any part in the process is baffling to me. Madden, one of the biggest franchises in games, has never landed on a list because it is not of interest to the crew. It will, however, probably be on my list because I love it and think it made great strides this year. Both of those positions on the matter are entirely valid, and neither is based in any way on popularity.

Game of the Year isn't meant to say "this is the pinnacle of the art form as it was presented in this year." It means something more akin to "if you play ten games this year, make sure it's these." The difference is subtle, but enormous. I'm fairly certain that Destiny 2 will land among those for GB.

Ever notice the fact that sites don't usually have the same GOTY across the board? There's a reason for that.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By Zevvion

@zevvion: i am done with this topic and i must say you have shitty taste.

Which is an opinion, which proves my point. You're free to think so and it doesn't change what I like to play. If you hadn't told me you thought so, I wouldn't have known and it wouldn't matter either just like it doesn't matter now. That seems to be the thing you're not getting from all this.

chilibean_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It won't be in my top 10 and I don't think it belongs in a top 10 for a year this stacked but it is totally going to be in Giant Bomb's Top 10.

The game has some of the same dumb problems the last one did. I have to spend a ton of time doing the normal, boring, grindy stuff to get to "The Good Stuff". There isn't much variety at all in the enemies, encounters, mechanics or weapons. A bad map, bad platforming, a story I guess. Yeah, the shooting is really good but it's nothing more than a game to play while hanging out with friends.

And, really, aren't our friends the REAL game of the year?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.