Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Destiny 2

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Sep 06, 2017

The full-fledged follow-up to Bungie's sci-fi "looter shooter", streamlining much of the previous game's mechanics while featuring larger worlds and new abilities. It was later made free-to-play.

Does Destiny 2 belong in GOTY 2017 Top Ten?

• 118 results
    Fitzgerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By Fitzgerald

Poll Does Destiny 2 belong in GOTY 2017 Top Ten? (552 votes)

Yes 47%
    No 53%

Just want to take the temperature of the Community on this one.

• 
    Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I think no but only because this has been a really really strong year.

For MOST years I would have said definitely.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Yes.

tophar01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By tophar01

I mean it's not really up to us to decide, do I think it will make the site's top 10? I'd lean no. Just thinking of triple A big releases there's plenty of room for it, but I have a feeling it will get squeezed out by smaller games people have stronger feelings for.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Ares42

Not to harp on the old Brothers joke, but the better question is really "Has there been 10 better games than Destiny 2 released this year?". And to that question my answer would be; Probably not ?

Come to think of it, even though I've had a very busy "gaming year" I haven't even played 10 games that was released this year, so for me it would be a yes by default. Even if I add in the games I wish I had played it wouldn't have to beat many of them to make top 10.

spamfromthecan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

With how much is still to come out and I doubt this makes their top 10. Its in mine currently because I've only played 13 games this year. But there are still more to come. So I doubt it even makes mine.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ares42 said:

Not to harp on the old Brothers joke, but the better question is really "Has there been 10 better games than Destiny 2 released this year?". And to that question my answer would be; Probably not ?

Come to think of it, even though I've had a very busy "gaming year" I haven't even played 10 games that was released this year, so for me it would be a yes by default. Even if I add in the games I wish I had played it wouldn't have to beat many of them to make top 10.

I think the busy gaming year is exactly the reason Destiny makes their list. At year's end, there will be very few games outside of Destiny that the entire crew (sans Vinny?) will have played with enthusiasm for an extended duration.

I don't know that it guarantees Destiny will rank highly on the list, but it's almost certainly going to be there.

Ungodly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does it belong in the running? Yes. Any game that came in the year of our lord 2017, is eligible. Will it end up on Giant Bombs top ten? Probably. Brad and Dan will probably champion it to be on the list. Do I think it's one of the best games this year? Sure. I have enjoyed almost every aspect of the game, though I thought the narrative side of things was weak.

It's been a game that I have really enjoyed, and I still feel eager to play it.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

I think it will end up between 7th and 10th overall depending on how hard Brad and Dan campaign for it.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Can't speak to it specifically, but I won't be adding it to my list because I don't plan on playing it this year.

younggryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It doesn't really have a story so I don't think it should really be on there. The pvp was really weak too.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#11  Edited By pyromagnestir

Regardless of whether it deserves to be on the list or not, I'm personally rooting for Brad strongly arguing against including it in the top 10 because I think that would be funny. He certainly seems much cooler on this one than he did the first game to the point where I think that scenario isn't completely impossible.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c26fd6917af0
    deactivated-5c26fd6917af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it will partially depend on if PUBG is officially released, or if they allow it to qualify even though it is early access. If it does not qualify, it would increase the chances of Destiny 2 making it, but I don't think it'll go above the 5th spot if it does.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
    Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By Redhotchilimist

@inevpatoria said:
    @ares42 said:

I think the busy gaming year is exactly the reason Destiny makes their list. At year's end, there will be very few games outside of Destiny that the entire crew (sans Vinny?) will have played with enthusiasm for an extended duration.

I don't know that it guarantees Destiny will rank highly on the list, but it's almost certainly going to be there.

Yeah. I votes yes. Like, it's not for me, and I would hate playing it. But it is one of few games that almost everyone on staff has played and enjoyed, and Brad's in love with it as usual. Even Destiny 1 got on their list, after almost taking Most Disappointing. Of course 2 makes it.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By cmblasko

It's probably going to be #10 on the list. I actually would've suspected top 5 before they did the raid.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I think it'll end up on there after they all had that shared raid experience. I think they will reflect on the raid experience very positively by the time discussions roll around.

The additional wildcard to consider is the PC version. If it bombs hard and is a really bad port they will probably take that into consideration and knock it off the list.

Gotta say though, what a fucking year for videogames 2017 was(is)!

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

I haven't played it so I can't really say but from what I've seen, it doesn't belong in the list. However, I'd guarantee it'll be on the GB GOTY Top 10 list.

Cheetoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

absolutely not

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By FacelessVixen

For my personal top 10: Sure. I should probably just pre-order the damn thing already.

For the site among the editors: Doubtful, but I can see it barely making the list.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a48049f850e3
    deactivated-5a48049f850e3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think destiny 2 will make GB Top 5

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope, not with what's been released this year and is still yet to come. Not a chance.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By pyrodactyl

@mike: I think it will be in Dan's top 3 so I bet he'll push for it hard. Some stiff competition this year though

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Teddie

Basically everyone on staff played and enjoyed their time with it which is more than you can say about most of the (way better, more deserving) games this year, so I expect it in the top 5. Probably exactly no. 5.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh god.. answered this while pretty sleepy and somehow I disregarded the "top ten" part of the question and picked "No"... but yeah definitely top 10, also definitely not GOTY for sure.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It doesn't really have a story so I don't think it should really be on there.

I honestly don't see how that point can be made. It totally does have a story. You're forced to do it if you want to start doing the end-game stuff. Every single one of the Adventures have some dialogue to flesh out the world. There are post-game missions, both clearly labeled and part of Exotic weapon quests, that start to set up any possible DLC and flesh out the world even more.

I'm not saying it's a fantastic story, but it's definitely there and I enjoyed it.

As for the topic, I would guess that it will end up somewhere on the list. It'll definitely be on mine but I don't know where right now. Number one is Heat Signature right now, with two most likely being Yakuza 0.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
    deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

For me yes, but I've only played 4-5 games from this year so far. I also like shooters, and I also get to hang with friends who live in different parts of the country. Also I have sick fashion.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#26  Edited By Nodima

Obviously, but I play games differently than most of the community. I can't really recall what games I've played this year other than MLB The Show, NBA 2K18, Destiny 2 and Uncharted Lost Legacy. I'm still working on my Witcher 3 save from two years ago.

@mike Dan is totally the wild card this year. Brad had no one in his corner last time around; this year, I'm honestly not sure Brad actually plays the game more than Dan, he's just more aware of how to maximize the endgame due to all his hours with WoW and the first Destiny.

Shoot, those boys might just crown Destiny 2 the Game of the Generation!

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
    deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@younggryan: it has a terribly written, boring and cliche story. It's straight forward campaign is an obvious direct reaction to the dislike of the first one's incoherent mess of a campaign.

silversaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By silversaint

I think Destiny 2 is far from a top 10 GOTY. That being said I am sure it will make giant bombs top 10 since they all did the raid, love FPS games over all others, and often don't play through many heavy strategy or long story games due to time constraints and general game preference.

Just from what I have played that I would consider for sure better, no contest, in no random order:

Resident Evil 7

Nioh

Horizon Zero Dawn

Zelda Breath of the Wild

Nier Automata

Hollow Knight

Persona 5

Prey

Pyre

The Long Dark

Divinity 2 Original Sin

Total Warhammer 2

So that alone is 12 games, then the games that are coming out that I am expecting to be better:

Middle-earth shadow of war

South Park

Assassins Creed Origins (maybe, though more doubtful)

Wolfenstein 2

Super Mario

Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Vampyr (if it comes out)

I would say Destiny 2 is in the top 11-20, but not even close to a top 10 for this year, yet I would be shocked if it isn't argued into the Top 10, if not the Top 5. Lets also not mention the multitude of expansions that came out so far this year that I would consider better then all of Destiny 2 namely The Crimson Court and XCOM 2 War of the Chosen, Dishonored Death of the Outsider, etc.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Shindig

This year's been really strong and Destiny's problems are still apparent.

TheRealTurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The real question is: Does the office have enough votes for cloture against Brad when he filibusters on the issue come GOTY deliberations?

And I think the answer is no. Ultimately it's just more Destiny. Even if I think it's unfair to call it "Destiny 1.5." It's not. It's more like "Destiny 1.25." It's a fine game to be sure, but just like the first one it's flaws will prevent it from being a game I go back to between content updates. I'll likely stop playing until an expansion comes out, play though that content, and then stop again.

IamTerics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I think D2 and PUBG are the only games that everyone on staff has played a lot and (mostly) enjoyed. So why not?

Qrowdyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

Do I think they will think it belongs on there? Yes, especially since almost the entire staff seems to have fallen head over heels for it (at least until that raid...). Do I think it belongs on there? Not really. While it seems like a much better game than original base Destiny, it seems kinda rough compared to original Destiny after all the new content and changes, which makes me wonder if they really learned anything from those first few years. That raid in particular looks like a hot pile of garbage. I will note this is me saying this having not played Destiny 2 yet, but it seems like a bit of a bummer overall--not to the level of original Destiny but a bummer all the same.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Are you asking me if it's on my top 10 list?

Yes, at number 1.

Asking me if it's in the staff's top 10 list?

I don't care.

Darknorth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It belongs in the DOG BOTTOM.

ThePanzini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ThePanzini

At the moment I would say no D2 atm its more of the same, but if the DLC drop in December as rumoured then it probably push into the top 10 it'll most likely have a more interesting story.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

@zevvion said:

Are you asking me if it's on my top 10 list?

Yes, at number 1.

I don't think there is a single person that would have any doubts as to what your favorite game of 2017 is.

forteexe21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its a strong 11.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope not, I used to a big Bungie fanboy in the Halo days, and I played a decent amount of Destiny... But I got bored and fell of Destiny 2 near the end of the campaign.

The core shooting is good and the abilities/movement range from eh to okay, but everything else about the game is either boring or bad in my opinion.

Bamse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loot blows, game is glitchy af, the story is an insult, the tweaks are awful, the bells and whistles are reskinned old crap and bungies idea of an end boss in strikes and missions is taking an enemy and double it in size...goty material? Sure, why not? Let's award idiocy and atrocious trends in videogames, it's not like our time invested is important or anything...

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really like the game, but this year is absolutely stacked so I'd say no.

But Brad will get it on the list. Dan is also super into it.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Avatar image for opusofthemagnum
    OpusOfTheMagnum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I’m not sure honestly. It stands a chance but it is by no means a shoe in, Brad pun not intended. I wouldn’t expect it any higher than 7 though.

The grind in that game is wack, and if any of her have run into the major walls that can just spring up for no reason like I have (a week stuck at 272 with nothing but NF and Raid to do that could possibly get me any loot capable of raising my light, yay!) or noticed the absolute bullshit way the “optional” progression boosters like exotic quests are not only kinda needed but also need to be timed out instead of done when you get them (and you get them stupid early, really wishing I had waited to do those on my main) or how accidentally spending your rep currencies before 20/beating the story/ whatever arbitrary milestone let’s you actually gain something from those literally seems to throw that rep grind down the damn drain. Ugh. The grind isn’t bad because it’s a grind, it’s bad because here are a few two many really unfriendly flaws to how they lay it out for he player. Bank rep engrams before 20, don’t fucking eat them, give me the exotic quests when I’m stuck or at the very least around 270 where people seem to be getting stuck, and don’t lock progression to weekly events.

Boy that turned into a rant eh?

Really liked the game, the campaign was actually a lot more interesting to play through (the overall story was forgettable but the characters were fun and the music was really something) but that doesn’t seem like it landed as well with the crew so it’s hard to say what they think overall about the Destiny 2 package.

@qrowdyy: sonic seems the only likely one. The rest are two focused on a single person on the crews or have very mixed opinions around the offices. Maybe Pyre, but even that had at least one or two indifferent or worse reactions if I recall.

Sykdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No and I actually think its super gross how brad goes out of his way to defend microtransactions at every point.

BRich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By BRich

It’s no Destiny 1, but yes of course it does.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When even Brad said on the UPF that he hasn’t touched it since the raid, I wouldn’t be surprised if it didn’t. Dan still seems enthusiastic, though. If another raid does release before they start the deliberations and is a good one, it might make it.

Not on my personal list, though. I’ve been distracted by several games as of late and kinda dropped Destiny 2 like a stone after finishing the story. I’ll get back to it...eventually. Maybe.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.