Deus Ex: Human Revolution DLC Arrives Next Week for $15

  • 70 results
  • 1
  • 2
Posted by patrickklepek (4129 posts) -

I’m still finding it hard to believe Deus Ex: Human Revolution was such a kick ass game, one that I haven’t started playing a second time yet, simply because I want the experience to feel fresh when I get back around to it. Fortunately, I’ll have another reason to dive back in soon: downloadable content.

Eidos Montreal announced today that The Missing Link, which plugs in a narrative gap towards the end of the main story, will arrive for $15 on all three platforms on October 18.

Several team members came through San Francisco last month to show off The Missing Link, and while they admitted it’s slotted during a certain moment towards the end of Human Revolution that makes convenient narrative sense, they were adament this was not content cut from the main game.

To that end, the team said it would have been easier to simply augment the slew of content cut from Human Revolution, but the hope was to use the downloadable content as a way to show off how far the game’s technology had come from inception to completion and actually implement lessons learned from the game’s development. The art assets are brand-new in The Missing Link, the lighting looks improved, and that orange/ gold color scheme appears to have be ditched for a redder look.

And while you’re stripped of powers for a so-far undisclosed reason in The Missing Link (does it really matter?), that actually sounds pretty great, especially if you’re familiar with how BioShock 2’s Minerva’s Den worked. Like Minerva’s Den, The Missing Link will allow players to progress through most, if not all, of Human Revolution’s skill tree over the add-on’s heavily condensed time period. If you played through Human Revolution one way, The Missing Link will provide you with the opportunity to try something else. As someone who played the game as a stealthy hacker, maybe I’ll go all-guns this time.

Basically, I want to play The Missing Link.

Staff
#1 Posted by patrickklepek (4129 posts) -

I’m still finding it hard to believe Deus Ex: Human Revolution was such a kick ass game, one that I haven’t started playing a second time yet, simply because I want the experience to feel fresh when I get back around to it. Fortunately, I’ll have another reason to dive back in soon: downloadable content.

Eidos Montreal announced today that The Missing Link, which plugs in a narrative gap towards the end of the main story, will arrive for $15 on all three platforms on October 18.

Several team members came through San Francisco last month to show off The Missing Link, and while they admitted it’s slotted during a certain moment towards the end of Human Revolution that makes convenient narrative sense, they were adament this was not content cut from the main game.

To that end, the team said it would have been easier to simply augment the slew of content cut from Human Revolution, but the hope was to use the downloadable content as a way to show off how far the game’s technology had come from inception to completion and actually implement lessons learned from the game’s development. The art assets are brand-new in The Missing Link, the lighting looks improved, and that orange/ gold color scheme appears to have be ditched for a redder look.

And while you’re stripped of powers for a so-far undisclosed reason in The Missing Link (does it really matter?), that actually sounds pretty great, especially if you’re familiar with how BioShock 2’s Minerva’s Den worked. Like Minerva’s Den, The Missing Link will allow players to progress through most, if not all, of Human Revolution’s skill tree over the add-on’s heavily condensed time period. If you played through Human Revolution one way, The Missing Link will provide you with the opportunity to try something else. As someone who played the game as a stealthy hacker, maybe I’ll go all-guns this time.

Basically, I want to play The Missing Link.

Staff
#2 Posted by SHADOWINFINITE (545 posts) -

Awesome

#3 Posted by lordofultima (6238 posts) -

A great price, provided you get the same open-ended content you got in the retail game, replayable many times, many paths through with great level design.

#4 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10919 posts) -

$15 is a little more than I was expecting, but if it's quality content, then I'm all for it.

Moderator
#5 Posted by Liquidus (946 posts) -

Probably play this after Arkham City and Uncharted 3, those games are just gonna eat up a lot of my time.

#6 Posted by wolf_blitzer85 (5254 posts) -

And a PC version too! How cool is that?

#7 Posted by HatKing (5896 posts) -

Isn't that sort of a high price? I guess I'll be waiting for reviews on this one. Hopefully it's as great as the rest of the game. Not that I'll have much time to play it this year anyway. hah

#8 Posted by blacklab (1545 posts) -

adament (sp)

Adamant

#9 Posted by Metal_Mills (2992 posts) -
@MooseyMcMan said:

$15 is a little more than I was expecting, but if it's quality content, then I'm all for it.

It's meant to be 5 hours long.
#10 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10919 posts) -

@Metal_Mills said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

$15 is a little more than I was expecting, but if it's quality content, then I'm all for it.

It's meant to be 5 hours long.

Yeah, but there's been stuff like Fallout DLC that was longer than that and only $10. Some of the Borderlands stuff too. Oh well. $15 isn't bad, I guess.

Moderator
#11 Posted by bybeach (4792 posts) -

Yes I understand this...DLC is wierd. Can't do with, can't do without. And I don't want to be a dick towards this game/dev.

There better be a PC version Dammit!

#12 Posted by Legend (2658 posts) -

Four more hours of DE:HR for $15? Hell yeah!

#13 Posted by fadecy (2 posts) -

So for the low low price of 1/4 of the game's original price. We can pay for content that was cut out of the game. OH JOY.

#14 Posted by mrsmiley (1100 posts) -

I'll buy it at a high price!

#15 Posted by Hangnail (193 posts) -

@bybeach said:

Yes I understand this...DLC is wierd. Can't do with, can't do without. And I don't want to be a dick towards this game/dev.

There better be a PC version Dammit!

The DLC IS coming out for the PC, the in game banner says it's going to be available on Steam this month.

#17 Posted by LoktarOgar (371 posts) -

15 is steep, especially since it'll most likely be 15 euros as well.
 
Still, I love me some Human Revolution... and lord knows I've already got my moneys worth from the main game, with 2 and a half runthrough clocking in at some 70 hours combined.

#18 Posted by SPACETURTLE (1622 posts) -

Geez... Well, I was gonna buy this no matter the price, but for 15 bucks it should at least offer a couple of hours of cyberpunk awesomeness

#19 Posted by RE_Player1 (7558 posts) -

I'll wait for the GOTY edition next year.

#20 Posted by Vestigial_Man (311 posts) -

I have been waiting for this before starting another playthrough. I watched the walkthrough trailer for it as the credits rolled on the game. I'm not sure how I feel about it not being an addition to the main story though ( as in letting me use my badass end-game Jensen).

#21 Posted by Aleryn (704 posts) -

$15 eh? Will be checking into reviews for it then. Cool that they're putting out more content. Though I hope more for a sequel than DLC. The game could use polishing and embellishment of the combat system. Wonderful start though.

#22 Posted by Poki3 (525 posts) -

Not buying it for that price. Luckily, I have the PC game and a Steam discount will come by eventually. I'll wait.

#23 Edited by Chop (1996 posts) -

Why do we even buy games at release? There isn't any point to it anymore, we just get shafted with game of the year editions. I hate how this industry works.

#24 Posted by allodude (190 posts) -

Those abs look unreal.

#25 Edited by Tennmuerti (8073 posts) -
@rebgav said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

@Metal_Mills said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

$15 is a little more than I was expecting, but if it's quality content, then I'm all for it.

It's meant to be 5 hours long.

Yeah, but there's been stuff like Fallout DLC that was longer than that and only $10. Some of the Borderlands stuff too. Oh well. $15 isn't bad, I guess.

It's a quarter of the price you would have paid for the original retail release. That's pretty disgusting no matter how long the mission is. It's bad enough that shooters charge that much for map packs, if $15 is going to be the new norm for single-player dlc then shit's gone crazy.

Don't worry though, I'm sure they'll figure this out by the time new consoles arrive - $90 retail, get first dlc for free!

Considering there are more then a few retail game releases with 5 hours or less of content for $60, well to me personally this seems like great value. /shrug
 
Different DLC is different not everything has to be $5 - $10 meaningless 1-2 hour throw always.
That's the great thing about DLC. There is no "norm" 

@MooseyMcMan
Let's not forget Bordelands dlc had high's and lows too, same with F:NV dlc
Mad Moxxi was an abomination for $10 and Zombie dlc was no hot shot either.
#26 Posted by vinsanityv22 (1064 posts) -

PATCH THE FU**ING GAME ALREADY!!!! I DON'T CARE ABOUT DLC UNTIL I CAN PLAY THROUGH IT WITHOUT MY HUD DISAPPEARING A**HOLES! WHERE'S THE NEWS ON THAT!?!

The PC version got patched, like, two weeks after release. No surprise there, but to have gone completely dark on console patches is an a**hole move. They could AT LEAST go out on the forums and say, "Hey, we submitted the patch to Sony and Microsoft for inspection. They're in lot check right now", but no. We got nothing. And - judging by the forums here (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?p=1677271#post1677271), there are loads more bugs and some far more serious than the already incredibly frustrating HUD disappearing glitch that I personally have suffered.

PATCH THE GAME. Then we'll talk about stupid DLC. Fu** you guys until then. If it were a sh*tty game, I wouldn't care. But Deus Ex 3 is clearly awesome. It just sucks that's it's FUCKING UNPLAYABLE IF YOU GET HIT WITH THESE GLITCHES!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

#27 Posted by Kyreo (4600 posts) -

That's fabulous!

#28 Edited by Bummey (606 posts) -

@vinsanityv22 said:

PATCH THE FU**ING GAME ALREADY!!!! I DON'T CARE ABOUT DLC UNTIL I CAN PLAY THROUGH IT WITHOUT MY HUD DISAPPEARING A**HOLES! WHERE'S THE NEWS ON THAT!?!

The PC version got patched, like, two weeks after release. No surprise there, but to have gone completely dark on console patches is an a**hole move. They could AT LEAST go out on the forums and say, "Hey, we submitted the patch to Sony and Microsoft for inspection. They're in lot check right now", but no. We got nothing. And - judging by the forums here (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?p=1677271#post1677271), there are loads more bugs and some far more serious than the already incredibly frustrating HUD disappearing glitch that I personally have suffered.

PATCH THE GAME. Then we'll talk about stupid DLC. Fu** you guys until then. If it were a sh*tty game, I wouldn't care. But Deus Ex 3 is clearly awesome. It just sucks that's it's FUCKING UNPLAYABLE IF YOU GET HIT WITH THESE GLITCHES!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Whoa there, tiger.

#29 Posted by DystopiaX (5301 posts) -

@Bummey said:

@vinsanityv22 said:

PATCH THE FU**ING GAME ALREADY!!!! I DON'T CARE ABOUT DLC UNTIL I CAN PLAY THROUGH IT WITHOUT MY HUD DISAPPEARING A**HOLES! WHERE'S THE NEWS ON THAT!?!

The PC version got patched, like, two weeks after release. No surprise there, but to have gone completely dark on console patches is an a**hole move. They could AT LEAST go out on the forums and say, "Hey, we submitted the patch to Sony and Microsoft for inspection. They're in lot check right now", but no. We got nothing. And - judging by the forums here (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?p=1677271#post1677271), there are loads more bugs and some far more serious than the already incredibly frustrating HUD disappearing glitch that I personally have suffered.

PATCH THE GAME. Then we'll talk about stupid DLC. Fu** you guys until then. If it were a sh*tty game, I wouldn't care. But Deus Ex 3 is clearly awesome. It just sucks that's it's FUCKING UNPLAYABLE IF YOU GET HIT WITH THESE GLITCHES!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Whoa there, tiger.

Chill out bro.

#30 Posted by QKT (250 posts) -

i got this on onlive... what do i do/get?

#31 Posted by risseless (477 posts) -

I wonder if it's going to have another screwed-if-you're-a-hacker boss at the end.

#32 Posted by MrGtD (465 posts) -

@vinsanityv22: Thank you for not swearing.

#33 Posted by BLKZOMBIE (112 posts) -

Sure, why not? I'll buy that shit.

#34 Posted by gregoryc (153 posts) -

Considering how large a chuck of content this DLC is, and the new assets, I think $15 is fair.

#35 Edited by Kyreo (4600 posts) -

Considering I acquired Deus Ex HR by trading Borderlands to a buddy of mine, (which I bought for 20 dollars) I will happily shell out another 15 for some more content.

#36 Posted by Ersanven (91 posts) -

$15 goddamn dollars for dlc? You're fucking kidding me! I'm not paying that much for DLC.

#37 Posted by ma_rc_01 (363 posts) -

@DystopiaX said:

@Bummey said:

@vinsanityv22 said:

PATCH THE FU**ING GAME ALREADY!!!! I DON'T CARE ABOUT DLC UNTIL I CAN PLAY THROUGH IT WITHOUT MY HUD DISAPPEARING A**HOLES! WHERE'S THE NEWS ON THAT!?!

The PC version got patched, like, two weeks after release. No surprise there, but to have gone completely dark on console patches is an a**hole move. They could AT LEAST go out on the forums and say, "Hey, we submitted the patch to Sony and Microsoft for inspection. They're in lot check right now", but no. We got nothing. And - judging by the forums here (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?p=1677271#post1677271), there are loads more bugs and some far more serious than the already incredibly frustrating HUD disappearing glitch that I personally have suffered.

PATCH THE GAME. Then we'll talk about stupid DLC. Fu** you guys until then. If it were a sh*tty game, I wouldn't care. But Deus Ex 3 is clearly awesome. It just sucks that's it's FUCKING UNPLAYABLE IF YOU GET HIT WITH THESE GLITCHES!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Whoa there, tiger.

Chill out bro.

Yeah, that chip upgrade must have made him crazy or something.

#38 Posted by Applekid (64 posts) -

lol at charging $15.

I'm going to sit back and see if its more than a 3 hour busy body quest. I'm tired of getting burned time and time again by these new releases.

#39 Posted by TheHT (11155 posts) -

Wow. For that price I'm gonna have to wait and see if it's worth it.

#40 Posted by Mace (26 posts) -

$15 seems a little pricey for DLC to me. But I suppose it depends on how long and good the content is. If it is going to be 5 extra hours of awesome game then that is a pretty good deal. If it is just a couple of hours of decent game then I might have to wait until some kind of sale or Playstation Plus discount.

#41 Posted by shakra (252 posts) -

Fifteen dollars what the what

#42 Posted by probablytuna (3626 posts) -

Hmmm, seems a bit too steep a price in my opinion, and I'll probably be knee-deep in games by that point. As much as I love Human Revolution and want more of it, I'll wait until it goes on Steam sale.

#43 Posted by byterunner (305 posts) -

"and that orange/ gold color scheme appears to have be ditched for a redder look."

awwww, I really liked that gold hue over the whole game :C

#44 Posted by BBQBram (2226 posts) -

I'll be getting this whenever I finish Deus Ex. Kinda stopped half-way to play Rage.

#45 Posted by smiddy (357 posts) -

$15 for 5 hours. Sorry, no. This is getting ridiculous. Especially since we know that when a developer says 5 hours, it is in fact 3 hours long.

#46 Posted by hoossy (933 posts) -

I can only be a stealth hacker.... can't go run and gun. just... can't....do it

#47 Posted by Dustpan (1694 posts) -

So if I were to replay the game, once I got up to the point where this DLC is supposed to take place, would I be able to play the DLC at that point automatically?

#48 Posted by Vodun (2370 posts) -

@Chop said:

Why do we even buy games at release? There isn't any point to it anymore, we just get shafted with game of the year editions. I hate how this industry works.

Yes, it is terrible how they make things cheaper as they get older! They should become more expensive, like wine! Because we all know the importance of the fermentation process on digital products!

#49 Edited by Karandras (36 posts) -

I'd whinge about the price point (given Fallout 3 and Borderslands both had sizeable DLCs for less) but...well...I'm blatently going to buy this so whats the point?

Its great to see Deus Ex back at the top table and if it costs 1200MS points to show my appreciation, i'm in.

#50 Posted by LoktarOgar (371 posts) -
@smiddy said:

$15 for 5 hours. Sorry, no. This is getting ridiculous. Especially since we know that when a developer says 5 hours, it is in fact 3 hours long.

 That's the thing though, at least with the main game, Eidos never really overstated Human Revolution's length. It makes it a lot easier to believe this actually is 5 hours.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.