Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Aug 23, 2011

Human Revolution is the third game in the Deus Ex series, a prequel where players take control of augmented security officer Adam Jensen, and investigate attacks against Sarif Industries, a leader in augmentation technology.

Sarif Plant hostages?!

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By xyzygy

I finished the mission a while ago but I'm just finding out now that it's possible to save the hostages in the first mission. How do you do it? I am obviously not going to go back and start the game over again but it would have been cool if I knew I could save them. I first seen the room when I entered through the back vent, but didn't go in or open the vent because I wasn't finished in the previous room (the big assembly line with the 3 guards). Walkthroughs are telling me that I was able to defuse the bomb (I'm assuming it's that weird thing in the middle of the room with the hostages???) but I didn't even get the chance to, the hostages were already dead when I first laid eyes on the room. I didn't even know they were alive to begin with, I just thought it was a room full of dead bodies. 

I'm playing through on the hardest difficulty if that is any help.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By august

If you fuck around at Sarif Indsutries for over 15 minutes before leaving for the mission the hostages are dead when you get there.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By Undeadpool

I actually think this is what Jeff was talking about. If you don't start the mission soon, you get a transmission saying that "things have gotten worse" and that they've already killed the hostages. I never got that transmission and they were alive when I did the mission (and you are correct about what the bomb was).

Also: did you trigger any alarms? That may do it, but I'm not sure.

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
    tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By tim_the_corsair

You dicked around and Sarif too long

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By xyzygy
    @Undeadpool: Nope, no alarms. I'm going for the no alarms achievement. But I do remember getting the message that you mentioned and I wondered at the time if it had any consequence - should have put two and two together! Guess I'll know for next playthrough!
    N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6  Edited By N7

@xyzygy said:

@Undeadpool: Nope, no alarms. I'm going for the no alarms achievement. But I do remember getting the message that you mentioned and I wondered at the time if it had any consequence - should have put two and two together! Guess I'll know for next playthrough!

THERE'S A NO ALARM TROPHY!? AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

I'm at the end of the goddamn game and I WISH I WOULD HAVE KNOWN THAT FROM THE START

Avatar image for deactivated-6091fd83bf847
    deactivated-6091fd83bf847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, it's best if you just take the helicopter to the plant right away. Once you're there, I think you can take as long as you want to reach the hostages, and you can look around the Sarif offices all you want when you return. I don't know why they made the first mission that way. I'm pretty sure it's the only instance of that kind of timing sensitive consequences in the entire game. It kind of discourages taking your time and exploring, which is one of the best things about the game.

tarquinbb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By tarquinbb

yup, i started by looking at adam's emails... realised there's a mini sidequest to catch the guy smuggling that drug... by the time i've hacked into a couple of rooms it says things have got worse.

but the hostages die, someone says "oh dear the hostages died" and that's the only negative effect in the entire game....  i felt cheated by the game but it was meaningless anyway.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#9  Edited By Undeadpool

@xyzygy: It isn't a HUGE difference, it's just that if you save the hostages, one of them turns out to be head of plant maintenance and has a few unsavory connections. Long story short: you know the high-end weapons dealer? (not the one in the gas station, the one in the apt building)? He'll give you a discount if you save the man and his wife.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By JasonR86

I went straight there and could only save one person.  I did the mission pretty quickly so I don't know what I could have done differently.  I didn't use stealth so maybe if I had they wouldn't have killed the rest of the hostages but I sort of doubt it.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By Tennmuerti

@JasonR86: Wee the hostages already dead when you entered their room? If so this is due to not starting the mission soon enough. The time inside the mission itself doesn't count. Otherwise the only other way for them to die is if you trigger the bomb by walking through the door of their office and not disarming it in time.

@tarquinbb: Actually if you take time to talk to people a lot of them give you shit for it including the SWAT team. You also miss out on extra XP, and a side-quest for a discount from one of the merchants in Detroit. As well as changing the news report on the hostage situation.

RoyCampbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By RoyCampbell
    @Tennmuerti said:

@tarquinbb: Actually if you take time to talk to people a lot of them give you shit for it including the SWAT team. You also miss out on extra XP, and a side-quest for a discount from one of the merchants in Detroit. As well as changing the news report on the hostage situation.

Wow, that pisses me off.
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Tennmuerti

@RoyCampbell said:

@Tennmuerti said:

Wow, that pisses me off.

What did? There is some consequence to your actions. The guy above is shitting on a game because he didn't think there was any, now you're pissed that there is :)

RoyCampbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By RoyCampbell
    @Tennmuerti said:

@RoyCampbell said:

@Tennmuerti said:

Wow, that pisses me off.

What did? There is some consequence to your actions. The guy above is shitting on a game because he didn't think there was any, now you're pissed that there is :)

I was too busy enjoying the exploration and sights (in the Sarif offices), only to be scolded and surprised to know that I was on an invisible timer, and now I've been cheated out of all those bonuses.

I was friggin' reading ebooks and going through ventilation shafts into other people's offices and talking to everyone I could find; y'know, enjoying myself. There's always gotta be a game that shits in my face when I get any sort of fun out of it.
    mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By mesoian

You can always play through again...

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By Oldirtybearon
    @RoyCampbell said:
    @Tennmuerti said:

@RoyCampbell said:

@Tennmuerti said:

Wow, that pisses me off.

I was too busy enjoying the exploration and sights (in the Sarif offices), only to be scolded and surprised to know that I was on an invisible timer, and now I've been cheated out of all those bonuses.  I was friggin' reading ebooks and going through ventilation shafts into other people's offices and talking to everyone I could find; y'know, enjoying myself. There's always gotta be a game that shits in my face when I get any sort of fun out of it.
    To be fair, Sarif did say "ADAM! Meet me at the Helipad! We need to move NOW!" 

you ignored him therefore, you are the asshole.
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Tennmuerti

@RoyCampbell said:

@Tennmuerti said:

@RoyCampbell said:

@Tennmuerti said:

Wow, that pisses me off.

I was too busy enjoying the exploration and sights (in the Sarif offices), only to be scolded and surprised to know that I was on an invisible timer, and now I've been cheated out of all those bonuses. I was friggin' reading ebooks and going through ventilation shafts into other people's offices and talking to everyone I could find; y'know, enjoying myself. There's always gotta be a game that shits in my face when I get any sort of fun out of it.

You are not cheated out of anything significant for one. Secondly you are first given a warning to hurry up before the last warning and hostages die. Thirdly you can explore it after the mission. Fourthly this is not the kind of game where you will be able to discover find and do everything in one play through anyway no matter what you do. Some choices/paths will give you something, others will take something away.

If you think the game is shitting on your face by going for a little consequence that's your prerogative, I guess.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SomeJerk

There are more choices that can result in negative effects than this over the course of the game, I recommend at least two playthroughs to find them all and reading the news as the game progresses. It gets AMAZING.

RoyCampbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By RoyCampbell
    @Tennmuerti said:

@RoyCampbell said:

@Tennmuerti said:

@RoyCampbell said:

@Tennmuerti said:

Wow, that pisses me off.

I was too busy enjoying the exploration and sights (in the Sarif offices), only to be scolded and surprised to know that I was on an invisible timer, and now I've been cheated out of all those bonuses. I was friggin' reading ebooks and going through ventilation shafts into other people's offices and talking to everyone I could find; y'know, enjoying myself. There's always gotta be a game that shits in my face when I get any sort of fun out of it.

You are not cheated out of anything significant for one. Secondly you are first given a warning to hurry up before the last warning and hostages die. Thirdly you can explore it after the mission. Fourthly this is not the kind of game where you will be able to discover find and do everything in one play through anyway no matter what you do. Some choices/paths will give you something, others will take something away.

If you think the game is shitting on your face by going for a little consequence that's your prerogative.

Extra XP and a side-quest sounds a bit significant to me, especially at the beginning of the game with all those augments available to you.

In videogames, when I'm shouted at to get a move on, it doesn't mean much at all; most of the time, nothing happens. When Megan was repeating her lines telling me we need to go, I was looking at the newspaper and all the stuff scattered around the office. There was no consequence there, so I nudged off David's warnings. When I was talking to all the NPCs, they were saying lines of dialogue I wouldn't have heard after the first mission; all they talked about afterwards is either how I "fucked up" or something along the lines of "You hear what happened down at that facility?"

When you're at the beginning of a new game, and there's a ton of stuff to look at and explore, the thought of "I'll look at it later after the mission" doesn't occur to me and it shouldn't occur to anyone that is into looking into every nook and cranny like I am.
    Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Binman88
    @RoyCampbell said:
    @Tennmuerti said:

@RoyCampbell said:

@Tennmuerti said:

Wow, that pisses me off.

I was too busy enjoying the exploration and sights (in the Sarif offices), only to be scolded and surprised to know that I was on an invisible timer, and now I've been cheated out of all those bonuses.  I was friggin' reading ebooks and going through ventilation shafts into other people's offices and talking to everyone I could find; y'know, enjoying myself. There's always gotta be a game that shits in my face when I get any sort of fun out of it.
    You'll get over it. There's a lot more to this game than this tiny bit of dialogue, xp and a pissy little sidequest.
    RoyCampbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By RoyCampbell
    @Binman88 said:

@RoyCampbell said:

@Tennmuerti said:

@RoyCampbell said:

@Tennmuerti said:

Wow, that pisses me off.

You'll get over it. There's a lot more to this game than this tiny bit of dialogue, xp and a pissy little sidequest.
    Thanks for reassuring me without condescension. And yeah, I was sort of fretting because I thought that one fumble would mess with the bigger picture as well (i.e. the story or ending).
    Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Binman88
    @RoyCampbell said:
    @Binman88 said:

@RoyCampbell said:

@Tennmuerti said:

@RoyCampbell said:

@Tennmuerti said:

Wow, that pisses me off.

Thanks for reassuring me without condescension. And yeah, I was sort of fretting because I thought that one fumble would mess with the bigger picture as well (i.e. the story or ending).
    I was a little annoyed too, and considered restarting the mission. I felt it wasn't worth going back and redoing everything and I'm happy with my choice now hours and hours later. It's really minor in the grand scheme of things.
    Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Jams

I don't remember getting a warning. In fact I think I did the mission right away. I actually screwed up thinking that I could just complete the main objective and the swat team would rescue the hostages. I guess that resulted in them getting killed. That's what I assume anyways because I wasn't late to the mission but didn't ever actually find the hostages.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Tennmuerti

@RoyCampbell said:

Extra XP and a side-quest sounds a bit significant to me, especially at the beginning of the game with all those augments available to you. In videogames, when I'm shouted at to get a move on, it doesn't mean much at all; most of the time, nothing happens. When Megan was repeating her lines telling me we need to go, I was looking at the newspaper and all the stuff scattered around the office. There was no consequence there, so I nudged off David's warnings. When I was talking to all the NPCs, they were saying lines of dialogue I wouldn't have heard after the first mission; all they talked about afterwards is either how I "fucked up" or something along the lines of "You hear what happened down at that facility?" When you're at the beginning of a new game, and there's a ton of stuff to look at and explore, the thought of "I'll look at it later after the mission" doesn't occur to me and it shouldn't occur to anyone that is into looking into every nook and cranny like I am.

In the grand scheme of things no it's not significant. It sounds significant to you. But I did it both ways, and it's not, it's just a bit of XP, like I already said. The side quest is you just go meet one of the people you saved and he tells you that you can now get a discount from one of the 2 vendors in Detroit that's it. If you are diligent in your exploration you can get enough points before you even get to the second mission to unlock all the important upgrades one would want. I had more praxis points by exploring Detroit then Jeff did when already in China.

Just like the person who I replied to initially you start assuming the worst shit imaginable and being outraged by that, just from the opposite direction.

You either use guides and scrounge message boards for every possible outcome, hidden area, item, or just go with how the game plays out, simple.

RoyCampbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By RoyCampbell
    @Tennmuerti said:

@RoyCampbell said:

Extra XP and a side-quest sounds a bit significant to me, especially at the beginning of the game with all those augments available to you. In videogames, when I'm shouted at to get a move on, it doesn't mean much at all; most of the time, nothing happens. When Megan was repeating her lines telling me we need to go, I was looking at the newspaper and all the stuff scattered around the office. There was no consequence there, so I nudged off David's warnings. When I was talking to all the NPCs, they were saying lines of dialogue I wouldn't have heard after the first mission; all they talked about afterwards is either how I "fucked up" or something along the lines of "You hear what happened down at that facility?" When you're at the beginning of a new game, and there's a ton of stuff to look at and explore, the thought of "I'll look at it later after the mission" doesn't occur to me and it shouldn't occur to anyone that is into looking into every nook and cranny like I am.
    Once again, if you think that the game is shitting in your face when you don't get a bit of XP, I'll tell you a big secret, you're not going to get the maximum amount of possible XP in your first play through no matter what you do. So it's going to be shitting in your face pretty much 24/7

You either use guides and scrounge message boards for every possible outcome, hidden area, item, or just go with how the game plays out, simple.

You seem to be misconstruing that "shit in my face" comment every post you reply me with. I was having fun talking to people and exploring and whatnot, then I find out the hostages are dead, and then everyone thinks I'm a failure and I missed out on some stuff. That's what I'm talking about; I feel as though I was punished. 

I'm also not looking to "max my XP", I just felt cheated in that one instance. And no, I've made it a rule not to look at message boards before a hyped release. I'm not a fan of spoilers in any capacity and I've also stumbled upon an intentionally spoiler-heavy title of a thread by a troll. I just don't try anymore.

Now please, if you're going to reply again, ease off with the "I'm talking down to you!" tone and just have a conversation with me.
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Tennmuerti

@RoyCampbell said:

@Tennmuerti said:

@RoyCampbell said:

Once again, if you think that the game is shitting in your face when you don't get a bit of XP, I'll tell you a big secret, you're not going to get the maximum amount of possible XP in your first play through no matter what you do. So it's going to be shitting in your face pretty much 24/7

You seem to be misconstruing that "shit in my face" comment every post you reply me with. I was having fun talking to people and exploring and whatnot, then I find out the hostages are dead, and then everyone thinks I'm a failure and I missed out on some stuff. That's what I'm talking about; I feel as though I was punished. I'm also not looking to "max my XP", I just felt cheated in that one instance. And no, I've made it a rule not to look at message boards before a hyped release. I'm not a fan of spoilers in any capacity and I've also stumbled upon an intentionally spoiler-heavy title of a thread by a troll. I just don't try anymore. Now please, if you're going to reply again, ease off with the "I'm talking down to you!" tone and just have a conversation with me.

You are the one who used the "shit in my face" hyperbole instead of being rational about the issue.

And like Binman88 I told you it's not significant. But you chose to ignore me, yet when he posted exact same thing you took his word for it...

You were being punished by the game. And I'm telling you straight up you will be punished by the game further along the road, not for this decision but for others you will make or do. I'm being as straightforward as I can be.

RoyCampbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By RoyCampbell
    @Tennmuerti said:

@RoyCampbell said:

@Tennmuerti said:

@RoyCampbell said:

You seem to be misconstruing that "shit in my face" comment every post you reply me with. I was having fun talking to people and exploring and whatnot, then I find out the hostages are dead, and then everyone thinks I'm a failure and I missed out on some stuff. That's what I'm talking about; I feel as though I was punished. I'm also not looking to "max my XP", I just felt cheated in that one instance. And no, I've made it a rule not to look at message boards before a hyped release. I'm not a fan of spoilers in any capacity and I've also stumbled upon an intentionally spoiler-heavy title of a thread by a troll. I just don't try anymore. Now please, if you're going to reply again, ease off with the "I'm talking down to you!" tone and just have a conversation with me.

You are the one who used the "shit in my face" hyperbole instead of being rational about the issue.

And like Binman88 I told you it's not significant. But you chose to ignore me, yet when he posted exact same thing you took his word for it...

You were being punished by the game. And I'm telling you straight up you will be punished by the game further along the road, not for this decision but for others you will make or do. I'm being as straightforward as I can be.

Binman was the most straightforward with his two sentences and he wasn't a dick about it. And what have I been doing this past page and a half? Obviously not ignoring you.

And yeah, the "shit in my face" comment was honestly how I felt and best represented what I wanted to get across. Getting punished so early in the game is not a good first impression, I guess I'll "learn" from it but it doesn't make it any better.

Now I'm done. We've spammed enough and I don't think you'll ever stop.
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Tennmuerti

@RoyCampbell said:

Binman was the most straightforward with his two sentences and he wasn't a dick about it. And what have I been doing this past page and a half? Obviously not ignoring you.

And yeah, the "shit in my face" comment was honestly how I felt and best represented what I wanted to get across. Getting punished so early in the game is not a good first impression, I guess I'll "learn" from it but it doesn't make it any better.

How am I being a dick here? I'm just explaining it to you:

If you think the game is shitting on your face by going for a little consequence that's your prerogative, I guess.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By valrog

I'm making my way to the hostages now, and I guess I'll have to expect the worst (David told me the situation has gotten much worse, and the S.W.A.T. guys told me 8 people have already been murdered).

Lycander26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Lycander26

ANSWER ANSWER> 
    Firstly I guess you need to go through mission without raising the alarm. Towards the end of the mission you will find the hostages upstairs in a large room where you just encountered about 4 bad guys talking about killing some guy. <Listen for words.. COVER HIM UP> that room but upstairs lol. 

Ok now that you see the hostages don't go in room or doors close and poison gas starts to go off. 
     Instead from outside the room shoot the red gas canister. This will deactivate the bomb and you get a lil acknowledgment from Sariff. 
    I guess green and red make poisonus blue but if you shoot red it cant mix with the green ;)  
    Now gratz me biatches ;)
    RoyCampbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By RoyCampbell
    @Napalm said:

@RoyCampbell said:

@Tennmuerti said:

@RoyCampbell said:

@Tennmuerti said:

Wow, that pisses me off.

Are you an idiot, or something? The transmission you get says, "hey, hostages have been taken at one of our plants, YOU NEED TO GET TO THE HELIPAD RIGHT AWAY."  Like, seriously? What more sort of emergency message do you need to get? Once you complete the mission you have all day to walk around the Sarif offices with your thumb up your ass.
    You're the shining beacon of decency humankind always needed. 

Would love to see you talk that way to a random passerby on the street. That would suggest you leaving the house, though.

(Just noticed that you deleted your post; unfortunately, it's still kind of here. Eh.)
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By napalm
    @RoyCampbell: To be fair, I deleted that response because I felt it was harsh, so let me rephrase: 

I don't understand after a first initial message that essentially says, "hey, something awful at one of our facilities has occurred, and hostages have been taken. Meet me at the helipad right away," you don't think that there will be any initial repercussions for dicking around. It's quite apparent that the circumstances call for this situation to be of most importance, and I figured it was obvious you would have all the time in the world to mess around the Sarif offices when you get back. 

Also, to save the hostages, you can go in through a vent on the right side of the labs behind a crate, provided you gathered the number off a passed out terrorist to input in the device, or you can just shoot out the glass containers and it stops the timer.
    SockLobster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By SockLobster

...or hack it

Also it was actually a really cool thing for the game to do so quit getting mad duder

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By valrog

I think it's actually kind of awesome that your actions (or lack thereof) have consequences. Will definitely hurry up next time and at least get there while they're still alive.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I was messing around too in the Sarif offices, but that's because so many games are so fucking lazy with their 'urgent' missions that I never expected it to do something like this.
    Not like I care tho, I won't miss them, silly hostages.

Roomrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#36  Edited By Roomrunner

Knowing about Jeff's experience beforehand, I went straight for the chopper. 

Never once even saw the room the hostages were in.  I never even knew there was a bomb until I just read this thread.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.