Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Deus Ex: Invisible War

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Dec 02, 2003

The sequel to one of the most acclaimed PC games of all time, Deus Ex: Invisible War throws you into a divided world, where multiple factions wish to take advantage of your cybernetic abilities. Playing as Alex D., you make your own path through corrupt leaders and worldwide conspiracies.

Underrated

BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin

Underrated game. Not as good as Deus Ex, but the atmoshpere was fucking great, the weapons were great (especially the hidden ones, like the Dragon Tooth Sword, the Hellfire Bolcaster, etc,) characters were great (doesn't get any cooler than the Omar,) and it had decent pacing.

I remember when this game first came out... I went in with suspended expectations and I told myself I wouldn't draw any comparisons to the original other than the obvious ones.... and I came away wanting to play it again.

Magnum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Magnum

i thought it was cool too

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By crunchUK

i thought it was so awesome... in every way. especially the story and the atmosphere. and the do what ou want and side quests and various ways to do things.

dvorak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By dvorak

I loved the music and it turned me onto KidneyThieves, which I still listen to from time to time. While it's not the original in terms of mind blowing gameplay for the time, it still holds up like Deus Ex does. Both games in my mind are different yet equally fun. I really enjoyed the sequel as much as I did the original, for different aspects. It's not like when the sequel came out we couldn't go back and play the first one anymore, which seems to me how some people reacted upon it's release. Both certainly had really enjoyable complimenting stories that you can't truly appreciate untill you've finished both.

Dimsey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 118

#5  Edited By Dimsey

I wound up playing it on the Xbox not too long back after renting it and though I didn't get to play it as much as I'd have liked it didn't seem bad by any stretch of the imagination.
    Pretty sure I saw it on Steam so I'll probably have to buy it at some point so I can actually finish it.

Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By Oni

Not awful, as a sequel to the original it falls way, way short.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By BiggerBomb

I agree, I loved it. But my file was deleted on the last level and I never got to finish the epic adventure. I still liked it a lot, though. I'm hoping Deus Ex 3 will be even better. If it is actually real and not vaporware.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8  Edited By kush

I think people gave the game a hard time because of the original which isn't really fair. I enjoyed Invisible War; it wasn't as good as the original, but it was in no way a horrible game. I am really hoping Deus Ex 3 will be great, but I am really worried especially with the absence of Warren Spector.

Stevokenevo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Stevokenevo

i take it from these comments it definately worth playing then?  I played the original and thought it was awesome aswell.  For some reason i never got round to Invisible War.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By kush
    Stevokenevo said:
    "i take it from these comments it definately worth playing then?  I played the original and thought it was awesome aswell.  For some reason i never got round to Invisible War."
    I would definitely recommend playing it. I've played it more than once and enjoyed it every time. It may not have been the sequel we all wanted, but that doesn't mean it's not a good game.
    Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11  Edited By Vaxadrin

I'm in the minority that thought this game was better than Deus Ex 1.  Being someone who doesn't care for game stories, and judging it solely on gameplay, the streamlining of the combat & improving the hit detection so it's not so much stat based (and instead making the character developments active & passive skills) made it a much more fun game, in my opinion.  There's so many solutions to each scenario depending on how you deck out your character...tons of replayability.

My only beefs with it are that it's so short, and that the code for the PC optimization is horrendous.  The game runs at about 5 fps on my band new dual core machine with 2gb ram, and I can't for the life of me figure out why.

Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Oni

Better than DX1? No... just, no. Not in any conceivable way. Except graphics, dur.

<3 you, but egads, man.

BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin

Playing it for the first time today will definitely be visually rough. It's definite improvement graphically over the original Deus Ex (especially in the  lighting department,) but it's a far cry from the visual quality of current games.

Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Vaxadrin
    Oni said:
    "Better than DX1? No... just, no. Not in any conceivable way. Except graphics, dur.

<3 you, but egads, man."
    Graphics, voice acting, dialogue, gameplay, level design, difficulty balancing, all of it's better in DX2.

Granted, I played DX2 before I played DX1 so my perception is probably a lot different from everyone who went into DX2 with a specific set of expectations.  I just picked it up on Xbox because I remember hearing good things about the first, not having any prior experience with the series.  I really enjoyed it.

However, when I went back & played the first one afterwards I wasn't all "ZOMG THE BAD GUYS R REALLY THE GOOD GUYS!  OMFG RENEGADE AI!"  I just thought it was a neat combination of 90's PC FPS's with character stats, way too large levels, wierd robotic animations, and made buy a bunch of guys who had just read Neuromancer & 1984.
    BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin
    Vaxadrin said:
    "Graphics, voice acting, dialogue, gameplay, level design, difficulty balancing, all of it's better in DX2.

Granted, I played DX2 before I played DX1 so my perception is probably a lot different from everyone who went into DX2 with a specific set of expectations. "

I probably would feel the same had I played Invisible War first.

That's the strange thing about video games. Had I played Twilight Princess before Ocarina, rather than a decade later, it wouldn't be a contest in my mind, yet TP had nowhere near the impact that Ocarina had on me upon its release.

The original Deus Ex just seemed to capture a moment in time, for me at least. The gaming world, unlike any other medium, moves lightning fast though - so by the time DX2  was released it had long since been left behind. A small handful of years can make an enormous difference. People always look at past games through a silly nostalgic lens, remembering them in an almost supernatural light - games like Invisible War are always given an unfair shake because of the goofy lens. I can go back and play Ocarina, Invisible War, SS2, etc. today and enjoy them like a motherfucker but a large part of the enjoyment is subconsciously reliving the moments in time they captured when originally playing them, like a little nostaligc bitch.

Year 2,000 Deus Ex was better, for me at least, than year 2003 Invisible War. Had I played both at the same time I'd probably feel differently.

Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Vaxadrin

Pretty much.  Games are evolving so fast that playing older ones feels almost like watching a black & white silent film right when technicolor became popular.  Interesting from a historical perspective, but not so great when compared to how far the medium has become.

I'm always wondering what kids today growing up on Halo & Call of Duty think if they play Duke3d or MM9 on XBLA.  I can imagine them sitting there with a blank stare thinking "This was fun back then?"

BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin
    Vaxadrin said:
    "I'm always wondering what kids today growing up on Halo & Call of Duty think if they play Duke3d or MM9 on XBLA.  I can imagine them sitting there with a blank stare thinking "This was fun back then?""

I'd like to think it looks a little like this:

caption
    caption
    atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By atejas
    BiffMcBlumpkin said:
    "Vaxadrin said:
    "Graphics, voice acting, dialogue, gameplay, level design, difficulty balancing, all of it's better in DX2.

Granted, I played DX2 before I played DX1 so my perception is probably a lot different from everyone who went into DX2 with a specific set of expectations. "

That's the strange thing about video games. Had I played Twilight Princess before Ocarina, rather than a decade later, it wouldn't be a contest in my mind, yet TP had nowhere near the impact that Ocarina had on me upon its release.

"
    No offense, but I just realised nostalgia goggles apparently do exist.
    BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin
    atejas said:
    "BiffMcBlumpkin said:
    "Vaxadrin said:

"
    No offense, but I just realised nostalgia goggles apparently do exist."

I'd like to think they look a little like this:

caption
    caption
    Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Vaxadrin

From now on I'm gonna role play the serious one and you play the fun-loving carefree one, ok Biff?

Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Demilich

Cats can't talk.

Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Vaxadrin

You're not training them right.

BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin
    Vaxadrin said:
    "From now on I'm gonna role play the serious one and you play the fun-loving carefree one, ok Biff?"

I'll be your Balki 7 days a week.
    Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Demilich
    Vaxadrin said:
    "From now on I'm gonna role play the serious one "
    You hadn't started already?
    Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Vaxadrin

This is no time for jokes guys.  We're talking about game design in Deus Ex and how the second one was underrated due to rose-tinted glasses.

BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin
    caption
    caption
    Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Vaxadrin

Young Elton John has no relevance to Deus Ex 2.  Stay on topic, guys.

BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin

Young Bernie Taupin is cuter than Ashton Kutcher!

Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Vaxadrin

Biff, seriously, this is no time for joking around.  I'm trying to have a focused, intelligent discussion here and you're just posting whatever you want.

BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin

Vinny is probably going to find this thread and lock it soon, I know for a fact he searches the forum for "Ashton Kutcher" on an hourly basis. It's a bit of an early autumn bromance.  

Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Vaxadrin

You can't just go inventing words like bromance!  There's a sufficient, already defined nomenclature in place in Webster's Dictionary.  I suggest reading the latest edition.  I can lend you one if you want, I have 5.

BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin
    Vaxadrin said:
    "You can't just go inventing words like bromance!."
    caption
    caption
    Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Vaxadrin

You and your silly Photoshops.  Why don't you grow up and get a job like the rest of us?  Put on a suit & tie and stop playing all those "video gamings".

BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin

Being the carefree Balki type is really hard. I feel like I'm dying inside. I quit, I'm packing up my shit and going the fuck back to Meepos (which in my case is the hamburger forum) where people know the real me.

Bulldog19892

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#35  Edited By Bulldog19892

Hopefully Deus Ex 3 will be at least as good as the original, even with Eidos Montreal behind it.

Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Vaxadrin
    BiffMcBlumpkin said:
    "Being the carefree Balki type is really hard. I feel like I'm dying inside. I quit, I'm packing up my shit and going the fuck back to Meepos (which in my case is the hamburger forum) where people know the real me."
    That board is dead, now.  All the threads that don't mention lettuce got locked.
    kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By kush

How did this thread turn into some bromance thing?

BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin
    Vaxadrin said:
    "BiffMcBlumpkin said:
    "Being the carefree Balki type is really hard. I feel like I'm dying inside. I quit, I'm packing up my shit and going the fuck back to Meepos (which in my case is the hamburger forum) where people know the real me."
    That board is dead, now.  All the threads that don't mention lettuce got locked."

By saying that there is no single group of characters in the original that are as cool looking and as cool sounding as the Omar and hyperlinking it I'm managing to keep it on topic on two fronts.
    BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#39  Edited By BiggerBomb
    Kush said:
    "How did this thread turn into some bromance thing?"

Original thread + Vaxadrin(BiffMcBlumpkin)
    ----------------------------------------------------------- = This.
                                    Sanity
    Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Oni
    BiffMcBlumpkin said:
    "Vaxadrin said:

The original Deus Ex just seemed to capture a moment in time, for me at least. The gaming world, unlike any other medium, moves lightning fast though - so by the time DX2  was released it had long since been left behind. A small handful of years can make an enormous difference. People always look at past games through a silly nostalgic lens, remembering them in an almost supernatural light - games like Invisible War are always given an unfair shake because of the goofy lens. I can go back and play Ocarina, Invisible War, SS2, etc. today and enjoy them like a motherfucker but a large part of the enjoyment is subconsciously reliving the moments in time they captured when originally playing them, like a little nostaligc bitch.

Year 2,000 Deus Ex was better, for me at least, than year 2003 Invisible War. Had I played both at the same time I'd probably feel differently.

"
    Sorry for underailing the thread, but this. Yeah, if I'd played TP or DX2 before their progenitors, odds are I would've preferred them. But the impact those games made in that moment in time was unparalleled. And I can still enjoy DX1 a hell of a lot nowadays.

Ok, resume regular posting schedule.
    Stevokenevo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#41  Edited By Stevokenevo

this thread took a major turn since i left!  i just laughed my ass off for the last 20 posts or so. 

....anyway guys;  i think i will pick up deus ex: invisible war to give it a go.  I havent been finding playing older* games on the pc too much of a struggle due to their lack of graphical quality so i should hopefully enjoy it if all said is true.

*diablo II, Half life, Max Payne etc.

Bulldog19892

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#42  Edited By Bulldog19892

BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin

I've been replaying this game again, for the 500th time, in the past week or so.

It blows my mind, there's something about the atmosphere of this game that fucking compels me to enjoy it. Something about the the way it looks and sounds...  I love it. It definitely isn't nostalgia, it's too new and there was nothing going on with me when I first played it - no time and place for me to attach it to, so I don't know what it is.

I played and loved the 1st when it came out, and I can understand why I should hate this game in comparison... but when I play it, holy shit. It's nutty.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.