CVG Video Review

#1 Posted by ColdPhone (60 posts) -

The point in the video when an NPC shoots at Corvo, who then stops time, possesses the shooter, and moves him in front of his own bullet. I shit my pants.

#2 Posted by awesomeusername (4154 posts) -

This game looks great but I don't think I'd spend $60 on it.

#3 Posted by Sackmanjones (4652 posts) -

I am at a point where ixant watch this. Is it good? I just pre ordered on green man gaming.

#4 Posted by SuperSambo (2854 posts) -

The guy speaking is the anti-Shoemaker.

#5 Posted by captain_clayman (3319 posts) -

wow, they put the score on the TITLE of the video.

#6 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

@awesomeusername said:

This game looks great but I don't think I'd spend $60 on it.

You can spend $45 on it (Green Man Gaming). With all the different options out there, I'd say if you were still paying a full $60 for a new videogame, you're doing it wrong.

#7 Posted by gjedwards (102 posts) -

i can't find the first mission video can any of you guys reach it?

#8 Posted by endaround (2140 posts) -

@SuperSambo said:

The guy speaking is the anti-Shoemaker.

Just listen to Jeff's Brad impersonation and you'll see that they are pretty much the same.

#9 Posted by Ares42 (2591 posts) -

I'm always wary of people using the phrase "tip of the iceberg" as most of the time they were actually describing the iceberg. Still, seems like I've underestimated the game, not 100% sold though. Always better to go in with low expectations and be surprised though.

#10 Posted by konig_kei (597 posts) -

I remember those guys from Xbox 360 world, good mag.

#11 Posted by Barrock (3525 posts) -

@captain_clayman said:

wow, they put the score on the TITLE of the video.

I don't think they uploaded it.

#12 Posted by Humanity (8874 posts) -

It's a terrible "review" but I did enjoy watching some actual gameplay video and shanking people in the neck seemed so good. I can't wait for this game.

#13 Posted by awesomeusername (4154 posts) -

@PrivateIronTFU said:

@awesomeusername said:

This game looks great but I don't think I'd spend $60 on it.

You can spend $45 on it (Green Man Gaming). With all the different options out there, I'd say if you were still paying a full $60 for a new videogame, you're doing it wrong.

My name is blue for a reason. I wish I had a PC.

#14 Posted by Genkkaku (734 posts) -

@Sackmanjones said:

I am at a point where ixant watch this. Is it good? I just pre ordered on green man gaming.

I've had it pre-ordered since it was possible so I'm going to say yes

#15 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4331 posts) -

Well it looks like I'm going to take advantage of that green man gaming deal while I can. I can't wait to see how good this game looks maxed out.

#16 Posted by Vitor (2812 posts) -

@Humanity said:

It's a terrible "review" but I did enjoy watching some actual gameplay video and shanking people in the neck seemed so good. I can't wait for this game.

All of the footage is taken from trailers and walkthroughs posted by the devs. Beyond lazy.

And the review part isn't that great either. Really, really shoddy work.

#17 Edited by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

@Vitor said:

@Humanity said:

It's a terrible "review" but I did enjoy watching some actual gameplay video and shanking people in the neck seemed so good. I can't wait for this game.

All of the footage is taken from trailers and walkthroughs posted by the devs. Beyond lazy.

And the review part isn't that great either. Really, really shoddy work.

It's not "beyond lazy". At the very worst, it's simply a bit rushed. Not really that big of a deal. You should actually go to the website and see all the videos and articles, and all the different stuff they do. They're definitely not lazy.

@awesomeusername said:

@PrivateIronTFU said:

@awesomeusername said:

This game looks great but I don't think I'd spend $60 on it.

You can spend $45 on it (Green Man Gaming). With all the different options out there, I'd say if you were still paying a full $60 for a new videogame, you're doing it wrong.

My name is blue for a reason. I wish I had a PC.

Fair enough. I keep forgetting about the consoles because I'm still super happy to finally have a PC again.

#18 Posted by BeachThunder (11728 posts) -

o_o Game of the Year? A little early for that, isn't it?

#19 Posted by Imsorrymsjackson (855 posts) -

God, this guy sounds like a 15 year old idiot, far from a good game journalist.

#20 Posted by Ares42 (2591 posts) -

@BeachThunder said:

o_o Game of the Year? A little early for that, isn't it?

It just seems to be one of those game-genres that have a very dedicated fanbase, sorta like MMOs. You generally don't see a lot of these games, especially not good ones, so when it happens they just go mad for it.

#21 Edited by Zekhariah (697 posts) -

Looks like I need to play this.

The reverence toward Deus Ex in the video is interesting. It is difficult to imagine a game being as perfect as DX1 is described as being (even with DX1 still my favorite >10 years after I first played it). If Dishonored manages that it would be great - although I had always thought the interesting conspiracy based world tying into the location setups was just as important as the multiple methods for some objectives (and the level of open-ness being a bit over credited due to the release date).

It also looked like the game was really easy in the video. The run up and stabby stabby seemed pretty casual. But that is a positive if it really is going for a RPG / adventure feel and de-emphasizing action. The video does not do much in telling you about items not related to throat stabbing and instant mass kill with spells.

#22 Posted by Green_Incarnate (1788 posts) -

Didn't really sound like a review, but more game promotion type speak from a developer.

Online
#23 Posted by Wong_Fei_Hung (642 posts) -

I played the demo and enjoyed it, but doubted all the freedom wouldn't come without major issues, I'm glad I may be wrong.

#24 Posted by CptBedlam (4449 posts) -

This might be a great game but CVG is not a great source for a review.

#25 Posted by doobie (605 posts) -

@CptBedlam said:

This might be a great game but CVG is not a great source for a review.

why not.

#26 Posted by Sackmanjones (4652 posts) -
@PrivateIronTFU got it for 45 and very tempted to get xcom on amazon for 35 with my promotion code. My pc is very quickly making it money back
#27 Posted by CptBedlam (4449 posts) -

@doobie said:

@CptBedlam said:

This might be a great game but CVG is not a great source for a review.

why not.

I read quite a bit about their shady business practices recently. There was a thread on GAF, can't find it anymore.

#28 Posted by PenguinDust (12455 posts) -

This weekend Jeff Cannata over on the Weekend Confirmed podcast described it as a cross between Deus Ex and Bioshock. It's interesting to hear those same games mention in this review video. I'm psyched.

#29 Posted by Humanity (8874 posts) -

@PrivateIronTFU: I wouldn't call this lazy but rather lacking polish. Having two people discuss a video game as a form of review is already awkward enough as the whole point is giving a definitive view of the game which is tough when there are two people involved. The fact that they seemed to have been stumbling through it with no real direction was the worst part. At least take on some format: graphics, story, gameplay. Stick to the classic formula and you can't go wrong.

#30 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5808 posts) -
@Zekhariah: If you watch some of the previews they talk about how going the combat route is really taxing on resources. Also apparently the story is significantly impacted by how violent your actions are. 
 
I was wondering how they were going to balance all the crazy powers you get, hopefully they made it so that stealth will be the most rewarding path.
#31 Posted by BNB82 (49 posts) -

@CptBedlam said:

@doobie said:

@CptBedlam said:

This might be a great game but CVG is not a great source for a review.

why not.

I read quite a bit about their shady business practices recently. There was a thread on GAF, can't find it anymore.

...but you source some thread on GAF that you can't find.

#32 Edited by CptBedlam (4449 posts) -

@BNB82 said:

@CptBedlam said:

@doobie said:

@CptBedlam said:

This might be a great game but CVG is not a great source for a review.

why not.

I read quite a bit about their shady business practices recently. There was a thread on GAF, can't find it anymore.

...but you source some thread on GAF that you can't find.

I consider that more trustworthy than CVG.

Also, you should ALWAYS doubt the first reviews that surface before an embargo ends. Those are nothing more than advertorial deals.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.