What Play Style Did You Go For?

#1 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (972 posts) -

I just got my copy of Dishonored to day and I haven't decided what style of play through I'm going to go for yet, I may go for total stealth and with no killing except for the selected targets. What style did you go for?

#2 Edited by Marcsman (3177 posts) -

I'm ghosting it. No killing and no detection. That also means no killing of the selected targets too. It's more of a challenge this way.

#3 Posted by Demoskinos (14710 posts) -

The game seems to heavily hint that stealth/non-lethal is the way to go and honestly I've started to find that is how im playing. Killing even in stealth is alot noisy which subverts trying to be stealthy. So even though you DO have options this is yet another example of the game fundamentally having a "correct" way to play.

#4 Edited by CaLe (3941 posts) -

I kill the target to get the achievement then reload the save and avoid killing them for the other achievement. I'm playing stealthy for the most part.

I just had this happen to the Regent target. I threw him over the railing and his foot caught on it. Surprisingly enough, he's still sleeping.

#5 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5813 posts) -

So far I've been trying to play as stealthily as possible, although I don't mind killing a few enemies here and there. 
 
Trying to find the nonlethal way to get rid of targets is fun too.  
 
Also I don't know if anyone else is having this problem but I'm finding it really hard to find good places to hide bodies. I've resorted to hiding them on top of bookcases and light fixtures, although it's not ideal since I've had a few of them fall off.

#6 Edited by CornBREDX (5043 posts) -

So far I have not been required to kill anyone- even specific targets have alternate, non death, options. 
 
The game feels heavily likes its pushing you to not kill a lot of people and be stealthy as possible so that's how I am playing on my first play of it. If I played again I'd probably go a more dynamic route just to see how that plays out. 
 
@FancySoapsMan: I have noticed the best hiding spot to be a trash dumpster if you can find one, otherwise it's really really hard as other guards will notice if even one guard is not at his post.  
 
Just as an aside, I actually like that. Gives it an interesting depth. 
 
But ya, if no dumpster is around, on top of high places and dark areas seem to be best. The more out of the normal guard path, the less likely they are to be found.

#7 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (972 posts) -
@CaLe: HA nice 
 
@FancySoapsMan: Isn't there a power that dissolve bodys? you might want to invest in that
#8 Posted by Marcsman (3177 posts) -

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@CaLe: HA nice

@FancySoapsMan: Isn't there a power that dissolve bodys? you might want to invest in that

Yes there is. But dissolving a sleeping body basically kills it. So if you are going for the non lethal option, you gotta hide the bodies.

#9 Posted by believer258 (11771 posts) -

I haven't played it yet but chances are that when I do, it will be much like Human Revolution - I'll try to be sneaky and stealthy but if I get caught or if I get tired of sneaking around I'll "go loud" and kill everyone. Besides, the game does seem like it has some pretty cool combat options.

#10 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (972 posts) -
@Marcsman said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@CaLe: HA nice

@FancySoapsMan: Isn't there a power that dissolve bodys? you might want to invest in that

Yes there is. But dissolving a sleeping body basically kills it. So if you are going for the non lethal option, you gotta hide the bodies.

Does the game count that as a "kill" though? If so I'm going to have to restart my game as I'v chucked a few bodys in the water to hide them
#11 Posted by Marcsman (3177 posts) -

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@Marcsman said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@CaLe: HA nice

@FancySoapsMan: Isn't there a power that dissolve bodys? you might want to invest in that

Yes there is. But dissolving a sleeping body basically kills it. So if you are going for the non lethal option, you gotta hide the bodies.

Does the game count that as a "kill" though? If so I'm going to have to restart my game as I'v chucked a few bodys in the water to hide them

Not sure about that. It will tell you at the end of a chapter if you got the no kills though.

#12 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (972 posts) -
@Marcsman said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@Marcsman said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@CaLe: HA nice

@FancySoapsMan: Isn't there a power that dissolve bodys? you might want to invest in that

Yes there is. But dissolving a sleeping body basically kills it. So if you are going for the non lethal option, you gotta hide the bodies.

Does the game count that as a "kill" though? If so I'm going to have to restart my game as I'v chucked a few bodys in the water to hide them

Not sure about that. It will tell you at the end of a chapter if you got the no kills though.

I'v only just started so if it does count it's not so bad
#13 Posted by Marcsman (3177 posts) -

@Jonny_Anonymous: True escaping the prison is more of a tutorial than a challenge.

#14 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

I'm being stealthy about it but I'm murdering fools left and right because I want to see how fucked up the city can get on my first playthrough. My second playthrough will be a ghost/no-kill run.

#15 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5813 posts) -
@Jonny_Anonymous: I don't think it does (not sure though) 
 
I knocked out a couple of guards and let them get eaten by rats, and I don't think those counted towards my kill total. So I think as long as you don't kill them yourself it won't count.
#16 Posted by Marcsman (3177 posts) -

@FancySoapsMan said:

@Jonny_Anonymous: I don't think it does (not sure though) I knocked out a couple of guards and let them get eaten by rats, and I don't think those counted towards my kill total. So I think as long as you don't kill them yourself it won't count.

But did you summon the rats?

#17 Posted by EthanielRain (797 posts) -

I'm killing pretty much everyone.

#18 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (972 posts) -
@EthanielRain@rebgav: You guys still going for stealth or just straight up run and gun?
#19 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (972 posts) -
@rebgav said:

@Jonny_Anonymous: Stealthing into an advantageous position and then just assaulting people like a Cleveland bus driver.

lol
#20 Posted by Klei (1768 posts) -

Same way I play most of these games like Deus Ex and Thief.

I sneak in, but if I get seen, I deal with it. One save per mission otherwise I feel like I'm completely cheating the purpose of the game. There's so many weapons and tools that I wouldn't think of using If I just crept around like a ghost.

#21 Posted by CapnThrash (144 posts) -

Quiet til i get caught, then I'm all for stabbin a dude. There seems to be quiet a few instances in the world that require real quick decisions, I like being forced to make those gut decisions and having to live with it. If I replay, I'm sure it'll be a whole different story...

#22 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5813 posts) -
@Marcsman: no, they were already there
#23 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4337 posts) -

Stealthy but merciless. I'm going to turn everyone in this city to ash.

#24 Posted by august (3833 posts) -

Non-fatal so far but I think at least some of my primary targets are gonna get ICED OUT.

#25 Posted by rolanthas (242 posts) -

Ghosting all the way, doing all the non-lethal "solutions" as well.

Combat options are very tempting though, will definitely leave a bloody aftermath on my 2nd-3rd playthroughs.

#26 Posted by _Zombie_ (1462 posts) -

Considering I'm limited on my time with the game, I kill any and all enemies I can.

#27 Posted by overnow (144 posts) -

I'm switching between stealth and guns blazing but I lean towards stealth but I still kill a lot of people.

#28 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -

I'm playing low chaos and stealthy for my first run. I'm not straight out killing no one, as in, I'll fight if I get caught but I'm trying to avoid it.

#29 Posted by Bwast (1342 posts) -

I had to kill or incapacitate a few times but I mostly just bypassed enemies.

#30 Edited by Zella (726 posts) -

Stealthy lethal for me so far. Gonna do a complete action style massacre next playthrough though and then finally a ghost run of no kills and no detections. I really love how the game gives you non-lethal options for targets that aren't just knock the target out instead of killing him.

#31 Posted by DukesT3 (1900 posts) -

Stabbing dudes.

#32 Posted by Genkkaku (735 posts) -

I just kinda wing it as I go.. If there's a guy that needs to die he'll die, I'm trying to be stealthy during my first playthrough but not super stealthy it's fun to just you know get spotted, poses the guy and then walk him off a bridge

#33 Posted by L1GHTN1N (443 posts) -

Just finished it and went no-kills/no-detection. I would have gotten the achievement for killing <10 people but I think I killed 8 in the first mission, then only killed 2-3 guys throughout the rest of the game. Anytime I got caught I'd get pissed and go on a rampage killing everyone I found before reloading and trying it again which was fun, gave me a chance to try out the powers in combat and scout around while still going back and being sneaky.

#34 Posted by OtakuGamer (1226 posts) -

I'm pretty much killing everyone, I try to take a stealthy route but it always goes sour.

#35 Posted by DharmaBum (1049 posts) -

Lethal first time through with no resets - whatever happens, happens. Then I'll go for a perfect playthrough with no deaths or detection.

#36 Edited by benspyda (2032 posts) -

I like stealth games where you kill people silently, assassins creed style, so I'm playing assassin more than a ghost. It's a bit like mirrors edge in that it pushes you to be non violent but you need to be committed. I do not have that kind of patience and I find it more fun stabbing dudes(in stealth games that is...). My metal gear ratings is always panther or whatever for jacking dudes. Also my favorite playstyle in Skyrim was a backstabbing assassin with the X15 knife skill.

Maybe a second playthrough on easy I'll try the non violent path.

#37 Posted by EthanielRain (797 posts) -

I still try to be stealthy with my kills. If I do get spotted I don't sweat it though, just go ahead and unload on 'em.

#38 Posted by Von (328 posts) -

Everyone states that the game leans towards stealth but I disagree. I'm currently playing a no-kills run-through but the game taunts me at every corner. Here! Pick up these bolts, for a weapon you can't use. Here, have some money to buy upgrades... for weapons you can't use! I got around 7k money after the tutorial and the first mission and I don't have anything to spend them on, except for one rune and 10 sleeping-bolts. Although the stealth functions are cool, I feel like I'm missing out on something, so my next playthrough is definitely going to be a more bloody one.

Awesome game, none the less.

#39 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (972 posts) -
@Von said:

Everyone states that the game leans towards stealth but I disagree. I'm currently playing a no-kills run-through but the game taunts me at every corner. Here! Pick up these bolts, for a weapon you can't use. Here, have some money to buy upgrades... for weapons you can't use! I got around 7k money after the tutorial and the first mission and I don't have anything to spend them on, except for one rune and 10 sleeping-bolts. Although the stealth functions are cool, I feel like I'm missing out on something, so my next playthrough is definitely going to be a more bloody one.

Awesome game, none the less.

Yep, I'd agree with this
#40 Posted by MEATBALL (3154 posts) -

Typically try to stealth it up, but sometimes I can't pass up an opportunity to do something awesome like baiting several guards to their death via a rewired security system or wall of light. I'm aiming for low chaos, though, and I've managed to maintain low chaos so far, so it's nice that there's a little breathing room to wreck some shit every now and then.

#41 Posted by InternetCrab (1504 posts) -

I actually got the Chaos level to ''High'' on every level, but I didn't slaughter too many people, it was mostly because I got seen alot.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.