The worst videogame name?

#1 Posted by Fallen189 (4940 posts) -

Like seriously? "Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy". That string of words makes no sense! 

Can anyone explain it?

#2 Posted by Lucifer (263 posts) -

I'm seriously confused by the 012. What does it stand for.

#3 Edited by Ursus_Veritas (383 posts) -
@Fallen189:
The reasoning behind the '012' (which isn't pronounced when you say it, so it's just 'Dissidia Duodecim Final Fantasy'... or just 'Dissidia Duodecim') is that this game follows the Twelfth cycle of war between the gods, Chaos and Cosmos (the ones responsible for being all like 'hey Final Fantasy characters, come beat the crap out of each other!') - whereas the original game was based on the Thirteenth cycle of war. So Dissidia Duodecim is a prequel to the first game. 

It's a bit silly for a title, but hey, Final Fantasy games like their silly titles. At least there is some sort of reasoning behind it.
#4 Posted by Cornman89 (1579 posts) -

It has to be in the Top 5, at least. I have a feeling Square games would dominate that list, though.

#5 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -
@Ursus_Veritas said:
" @Fallen189: The reasoning behind the '012' (which isn't pronounced when you say it, so it's just 'Dissidia Duodecim Final Fantasy'... or just 'Dissidia Duodecim') is that this game follows the Twelfth cycle of war between the gods, Chaos and Cosmos (the ones responsible for being all like 'hey Final Fantasy characters, come beat the crap out of each other!') - whereas the original game was based on the Thirteenth cycle of war. So Dissidia Duodecim is a prequel to the first game.  It's a bit silly for a title, but hey, Final Fantasy games like their silly titles. At least there is some sort of reasoning behind it. "
Well, there is a meaning to what it says. There still isn't a reason for that to be in the title, where it is.
#6 Posted by Ursus_Veritas (383 posts) -
@MordeaniisChaos said:
" @Ursus_Veritas said:
" @Fallen189: The reasoning behind the '012' (which isn't pronounced when you say it, so it's just 'Dissidia Duodecim Final Fantasy'... or just 'Dissidia Duodecim') is that this game follows the Twelfth cycle of war between the gods, Chaos and Cosmos (the ones responsible for being all like 'hey Final Fantasy characters, come beat the crap out of each other!') - whereas the original game was based on the Thirteenth cycle of war. So Dissidia Duodecim is a prequel to the first game.  It's a bit silly for a title, but hey, Final Fantasy games like their silly titles. At least there is some sort of reasoning behind it. "
Well, there is a meaning to what it says. There still isn't a reason for that to be in the title, where it is. "

I'm not saying that it's a good title at all, in fact I think it would've been easier just to stick 'Dissida Duodecim' on the box, rather than 'Dissidia 012 [Duodecim] Final Fantasy' nonsense that's on the box, but at least there is some sort of reason to the madness.
#7 Posted by Wolverine (4276 posts) -

New Super Mario Bros Wii. This is seriously the laziest title of all titles.

#8 Posted by Slaker117 (4835 posts) -
#9 Posted by Trebz (487 posts) -

It certainly isn't the best. I wonder if Square Enix does any quality control on their naming or if they just have one dude stamping out whatever comes into his head and sounds cool.

#10 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11471 posts) -

It's right up there with "Dirge of Cerberus" in terms of saying absolutley nothing about the game itself.

#11 Posted by shiptoncraig (149 posts) -

It says 12 in the name even though it's the second game in that series, it frustrates me.  It's like it is trying to be needlessly fancy in the same way most Kingdom Hearts titles do.

#12 Posted by Landon (4130 posts) -

Left 4 Dead 2

#13 Posted by august (3826 posts) -
@Fallen189 said:
" Like seriously? "Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy". That string of words makes no sense!  Can anyone explain it? "
Japan.
#14 Posted by TepidShark (1058 posts) -
#15 Posted by mikey87144 (1663 posts) -

@Fallen189: You need to look up names for more Japanese games. I'm confident in saying that this name wouldn't make the top 50.

#16 Posted by aceofspudz (920 posts) -

Two Worlds 2!

#17 Posted by BeachThunder (11689 posts) -

My vote is Divine Divinity; I just can't help but laugh at how redundant it is.

#18 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

I want to pronounce it as, "Oh-twelve."

#19 Posted by TEHMAXXORZ (1199 posts) -

@Fallen189 said:

Like seriously? "Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy". That string of words makes no sense! Can anyone explain it?

Dissidia sounds like an STD... sorry, but I just had to say it. It really does.

#20 Posted by mordukai (7133 posts) -

WET. Now I know that the title for this game comes from the euphemism Wet Work, but making it just Wet made it sound and look rather dumb. Didn't help that the game is just awful.

#21 Posted by Deathawk (280 posts) -

Square is awful at naming games. My favorite example of this is Final Fantasy Versus XIII. I mean what does that even mean?

#22 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

NeverDead

#23 Posted by Pandasteeler43 (44 posts) -

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.