Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dissidia: Final Fantasy

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Aug 25, 2009

Dissidia is an over the top, fast paced fighting game which features characters from the first ten Final Fantasies.

seperated at birth, or secret identity?

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#1  Edited By AgentJ

In Final Fantasy III, the player has four distinct characters in their party. One of those characters is Ingus. here he is below:      

He should look pretty familiar to anyone who has played Final Fantasy Dissidia, but lets look at another piece of Final Fantasy III art: 
                         Now he is really ringing some bells, isn't he? Compare that picture to the official Dissidia artwork of the "Onion Knight":           

See what I'm saying? These two characters are one in the same. So why did they call him the "Onion Knight" instead of just Ingus? The world may never know...
    WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

Because Onion knight is a jobclass something Ingus specialized in.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By AgentJ
    @WilliamRLBaker said:
    " Because Onion knight is a jobclass something Ingus specialized in. "
    So why not just call him Ingus then?
    Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By Red
    @AgentJ said:
    " @WilliamRLBaker said:
    So why not just call him Ingus then? "
    Because Ingus is a pretty freaking dumb name.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By AgentJ
    @Red said:
    " @AgentJ said:
    " @WilliamRLBaker said:
    So why not just call him Ingus then? "
    Because Ingus is a pretty freaking dumb name. "
    and Tidus is better? Besides, it's certainly not worse than Onion Knight
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#6  Edited By Hailinel

The Onion Knight's unlockable costume makes him look like Luneth.  Also, the Onion Knight in the game does not resemble Ingus in terms of personality.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By AgentJ
    @Hailinel said:
    " The Onion Knight's unlockable costume makes him look like Luneth.  Also, the Onion Knight in the game does not resemble Ingus in terms of personality. "
    If that's the case, then why the hell didn't they use one of the specific characters from the game, like they did with every game save XI and XII? It just doesn't make any sense. 
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#8  Edited By Hailinel
    @AgentJ said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " The Onion Knight's unlockable costume makes him look like Luneth.  Also, the Onion Knight in the game does not resemble Ingus in terms of personality. "
    If that's the case, then why the hell didn't they use one of the specific characters from the game, like they did with every game save XI and XII? It just doesn't make any sense.  "
    Because they decided to go with representing the game via the original Famicom version that didn't have Luneth, Arc, Refia, and Ingus.  They were all generic characters with Onion Knight as their default class.
    Deusoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Deusoma

The reason is that in the original release of FF3, the party consisted of silent non-characters like in the original Final Fantasy. It was only in the DS remake that they were given names and stories.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By AgentJ
    @Hailinel said:
    " @AgentJ said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    If that's the case, then why the hell didn't they use one of the specific characters from the game, like they did with every game save XI and XII? It just doesn't make any sense.  "
    Because they decided to go with representing the game via the original Famicom version that didn't have Luneth, Arc, Refia, and Ingus.  They were all generic characters with Onion Knight as their default class. "
    Interesting, but soo, soo lame. They made these remakes long before this game was announced. They should have included the characters they made specificly for the game, especially since they are so similar looking (can't take much from NES sprites)
    vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By vidiot
    @AgentJ said:

" @Hailinel said:

" @AgentJ said:

" @Hailinel said:
    Because they decided to go with representing the game via the original Famicom version that didn't have Luneth, Arc, Refia, and Ingus.  They were all generic characters with Onion Knight as their default class. "
    Interesting, but soo, soo lame. They made these remakes long before this game was announced. They should have included the characters they made specificly for the game, especially since they are so similar looking (can't take much from NES sprites) "

I agree, but it's also understandable for fans who have only played the original NES Final Fantasy III.  
    You know, like everyone not in America :P

What's odd is that when creating Luneth and the rest of the cast for Final Fantasy III DS, it's pretty clear that the artist who made the DS characters, Akihiko Yoshida, looked at original concept art for inspiration.

It should be noted for this game that they also literally made up a character to represent Final Fantasy I.

...sorta... 

Yoshitaka Amano's concept art, especially his early stuff, and his takes on games in the series he wasn't the official artist for (VII and VIII) is always interesting. When he worked on concept art for the first game, a viking-ish warrior actually appears multiple times. His most recognizable piece of art was one that actually was used as the official logo for the Origins re-release: 

This same character was then later used in the Origins CG opening.

...And of course his final look in Dissidia.
    Look ma! Full circle!

As for Onion Knight, I'm just assuming he's also Luneth. It makes my brain hurt less.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By AgentJ
    @vidiot: It makes alot more sense with the original, but if they had made a remake of it and given the characters names, I would have expected those names to be used. 
    Neon941

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 13

#13  Edited By Neon941

I think Square's really shooting hard for nostalgia with Dissidia, I don't think calling him Ingus would have as much impact as calling him Onion Knight. Personally when I think FFIII I always think Onion Knight, not the names they gave the characters in the DS remake.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By AgentJ
    @Neon941 said:
    " I think Square's really shooting hard for nostalgia with Dissidia, I don't think calling him Ingus would have as much impact as calling him Onion Knight. Personally when I think FFIII I always think Onion Knight, not the names they gave the characters in the DS remake. "
    you must have played the Japanese original then. Most Americans didn't have that oppourtunity, so for us, Ingus would have actually been nostalgic. Since the game was actually release in Japan I wouldnt have been shocked for them to get onion knight, but at least in America where most peoples experience with the game is as Ingus, give us what we know. 
    bonbolapti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By bonbolapti

@AgentJ said:

"Since the game was actually release in Japan I wouldnt have been shocked for them to get onion knight, but at least in America where most peoples experience with the game is as Ingus, give us what we know.  "

Chances are, if you're a Squenix Fan you would know, and wouldn't be bothered by emphasis of a Job class than a name. 

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By AgentJ
    @bonbolapti said:
    "

@AgentJ said:

"Since the game was actually release in Japan I wouldnt have been shocked for them to get onion knight, but at least in America where most peoples experience with the game is as Ingus, give us what we know.  "

Chances are, if you're a Squenix Fan you would know, and wouldn't be bothered by emphasis of a Job class than a name. 

"
    But I AM a Square Enix fan, and I did know, yet I was still bothered by it...
    bonbolapti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By bonbolapti

@AgentJ:
    Then how about this? He's actually got nothing to do with Ingus at all. Because his design is based off the original Amano artwork. 
    But if it helps His alternate costume makes him look more like Luneth.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.