Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

DJ Hero

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Oct 27, 2009

FreeStyleGames' DJ Hero uses a turntable controller to bring Guitar Hero-like gameplay to more genres and styles of music.

Just played DJ Hero at Best Buy

nohthink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By nohthink

So i just played DJ Hero at Best buy and let me tell you, it was awesome. It's pretty hard at first mostly because the controller does not look like any other traditional DJ game controllers but once you get the hang of it, it's very easy and fun. In fact, it was actually pretty easy to understand what you were supposed to do and why the controllers were designed in such a way. After that initial hump, you're gonna say "Ohhhhhhh. gotcha." You guys should all go to Best Buy, Gamestop or someplace to play the game. I really wanna buy this game now after that demo.

Heartagram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By Heartagram

Hmm....Now i want to go to best buy and try it but i dont think mine will have it and then i will be angry 

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By animateria

I really wish I wasn't in financial strain at the moment.

I was very skeptical at the game at first but it's growing on me rather rapidly.

VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By VWGTI

NO! I REFUSE TO BUY MORE MUSIC GAMES!
    Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Out_On_Bail

Cool - thanks for the tip. I'll be at one of those stores this Tuesday for sure, I'll give it a shot then.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#6  Edited By rjayb89

I played one at Best Buy, too.  A salesmen said I wanted to buy it after I played it.  He was right.

At first I played on Easy by his recommendation and thought it was way too easy and quit immediately and put it on hard.  Bad idea.  The amount of dexterity you'll probably need for the game is slightly challenging, but from my first impressions it looks like a game you can easily get used to.

dexterslu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By dexterslu

I played it this weekend as well, Jeff was totally right you have to play it to get it.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By RHCPfan24

I am going to a Best Buy this week so I will be sure to check it out. Honestly, I don't think I am going to get another music game but I really this game isn't so good that I change my viewpoint.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#9  Edited By Vinchenzo

GameStop also has it.

joey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By joey

I want to play it, but then it will force me to buy it, and i dont want to spend the money.

DriveupLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By DriveupLife

Unfortunately I went to a local best buy, and a local gamestop, to find out that the demo setup wasn't ready since the Activision representative didn't give the demo discs to any of the stores that were preparing the setup in my area code. Oh well I'll catch it in a few days.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By jakob187

I'm gonna have to check my local stores.  I'm dying to get my hands on this thing! 

What songs are on the demo that they have set up?

DoctorTran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By DoctorTran

The Gamestop I work at got our demo unit. It's pretty damned amazing.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#14  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

Earlier today, I got the opportunity to try out DJ Hero at my local Best Buy, and I've got some mixed feelings about it.

First, this is sort of off topic, but it really pisses me off when employees tie up demo stations so that customers can't play. When I first walked into BB, there was some Geek Squad douche at the DJ Hero demo station. I had to wander around the store and wait for about 20 minutes until he finally left so that I could get my chance.

Anyway, I got the chance to run through the tutorial and one song, and while I wasn't completely blown away, I'm now seriously considering buying DJ Hero when it comes out in a couple of weeks. The hardware in general is pretty nice. The buttons are just about the perfect size and contour to fit your fingers. The most important component, the turntable itself, is also the best part of the package. It has some great weight to it, and feels excellent when you're pulling off a scratch. The crossfader is definitely the worst aspect of the hardware. It has a very cheap plastic feel to it. It's definitely sufficient, and the game itself seems pretty lenient when it comes to precise moves like quickly sliding back and forth from one side to the center. I feel pretty confident though that in the next few weeks, the crossfader on these demo stations are going to be breaking. If you want to try out the game, get there as soon as you can.

As far as playing the game goes, it's a pretty satisfying experience overall. Tapping and sliding the crossfader brings back feelings of playing Audiosurf, just with a much better choreographed pattern. The scratching is where things start to really click though. Remember how great it felt when you nailed your first solo on Guitar Hero? That's the same kind of visceral feeling you get when you nail a chain of scratches.

I will point out though that this game does take some adjustment even for people that are skilled at other rhythm games, and the middle of a Best Buy where people are lining up behind you isn't really the best place to learn it. I was able to do pretty well, but there were a few things that I kept having trouble with that I think might need some time on my own in my living room to figure out. Primarily, scratches where you hold down the blue button don't quite feel right to me...I don't know why, maybe I need to adjust the way I placed my hand on the turntable, but I definitely think I could work it out in my living room without the pressure of people crowded around me.

While it wasn't a perfect experience (in store demos rarely are), I really was pleasantly surprised, and I'm looking forward to seeing more about this game leading up to the release.

Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
    addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'll be going to best buy tommorrow or the day after, I'll check it out, thanks for the tip

unclejohnny79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By unclejohnny79

sounds nice, but i think il pass

Six

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Six

I played some at best buy today, and even though it felt like the a/v sync was off a little, it was pretty fun.  Easy was... a little boring.  Medium was cool.  I lost the buttons a few times when it spun free of my fingers during a scratch part.  I didn't try hard, because, I was only getting 1 or 2 stars on easy/medium.

I think i could actually get into this a little more if i was playing at home on the full version.  but... i don't think I will be buying this unless the price reaches $90 sometime next year.

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#18  Edited By damnboyadvance

Sounds awesome. Now I just need the money, or I'll just wait for Christmas to come.

wackojackman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By wackojackman

Unfortunately they are not putting as much effort into promoting it over here in England, stores do not even know how much they are selling it for yet, shambles! I am still going to buy it though, didn't touch the guitar hero series so can official waste money on peripheral 

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By yakov456

I hope it's fun to play, because watching someone play looks ridiculous.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Andorski

I tried it out at Best Buy, thinking I would just play a song and level it alone -- I played the 3 set song list... twice.

The core gameplay mechanic is addictive.  I was playing it on hard, and while juggling the crossfader, turntable, and knob got confusing at times, you get that addictive sense of rhythm when you have them all working together.  I thought the set list of songs were going to be annoying (they had a Hollaback Girl mix in it), but it didn't hinder the fun I was having, which either indicates how good this game is or how bad my music tastes are.

There are definitely some problems with the game though.  I found that doing a single "down scratch" to be hard -- it just wasn't registering for me.  Also, the turntable itself has a little too much weight to it.  If you are constantly pushing the buttons, the slightest forward momentum push will move the buttons around the turntable and out of your finger's reach.  I also wished that the crossfader didn't slide so easily, but I'm guessing that was because so many people play the thing at Best Buy and the things is already getting worn down.

So while there are improvements to be made with the hardware, the game itself is great.  I heard that there isn't a career mode in the game (you just play through a bunch of set lists), so hopefully there is some other mode to keep your attention.  Activision also really needs to constantly put more songs up for DLC, as any pop-mix will get old compared to their rock rhythm game counterparts.  I wonder if DJs like Shadow will make mixes post-launch, or if all of that will just be handled in-house.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.