Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

DmC Devil May Cry

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Jan 15, 2013

DmC Devil May Cry is a reboot of the series from developer Ninja Theory, featuring a redesigned Dante and a new take on the franchise's fiction.

Got the game three days early.

• 96 results
    pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By pompouspizza

I ordered it from shopto and it arrived today, I'm just waiting for it to install and then I will jump in. any questions you guys have I will try and answer.

Blommer4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Blommer4

Is it good? And by that I mean is it like the older DMC titles?

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By TheHT

Does it suck?

Legxend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Legxend

Yep mine just arrived from shopto as well, though I didn't realize the Virgil DLC wouldn't be available for another 4 weeks after release.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By ShaggE

How many "I'm going to run DmC" jokes will you make after it finishes installing?

Personally, I'm going for five.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By pompouspizza

@Blommer4: Having played the first and third devil may cry games very recently to get ready for this, I think it feels exactly how you would want a devil may cry game to feel, at least for me it does and I have been a huge fan since the beginning. I have only played the first mission so it could all fall apart but I really like it, I like what they have done with dante and I think the games presentation is slick as hell.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By ArtisanBreads

Excited to get this on PC... isn't it like next week on PC?

Glad to hear you are enjoying it.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By pompouspizza

@TheHT: Not at all.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By pompouspizza

@ArtisanBreads: I would love to play this on pc, like I said I think it looks really slick, I'm playing on ps3 and it looks and plays great, but if they do right by the pc version It will easily be the one to get.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@pompouspizza said:

@ArtisanBreads: I would love to play this on pc, like I said I think it looks really slick, I'm playing on ps3 and it looks and plays great, but if they do right by the pc version It will easily be the one to get.

Yeah I hope it's a good port. I believe Capcom has been doing a good job with PC ports recently and if I can get 60 fps there it'll be awesome.

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By I_smell

I dunno, I played the demo and was pretty sold on that already!

Avatar image for do_the_manta_ray
    Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Do_The_Manta_Ray

And here I was just about to make a thread just like this, my own self. Seems that TP got ahead of me by an hour, though. @pompouspizza: Do you mind if I jump in on some of the action and toss out a few answers to a few tossers who are tossing around in bed, wondering if DMC lives up to it's name?

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#13  Edited By GunstarRed

Other than the fact it is the worst game ever made and I got diseases just from opening the box, I have spent about four hours with it.

First thing of note - Unsurprisingly people were way off the mark about New Dante.

Second thing of note - It is really, really easy so far.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#14  Edited By Hailinel

@GunstarRed said:

I saw footage of the final boss fight. It seemed waaaaaaay too easy for Devil May Cry.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By GunstarRed

@Hailinel: I feel like even when enemies have shields or a weakness to either the angel/demon weapons I can break their defense with a single move. Rarely do they ever get a chance to recover.

FunkasaurasRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By FunkasaurasRex

@ShaggE said:

How many "I'm going to run DmC" jokes will you make after it finishes installing?

Personally, I'm going for five.

Oh my god. Oh my god. WHY DID THIS NEVER OCCUR TO ME?!

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By pompouspizza

@Hailinel: Don't play it on anything but the hardest difficulty from the get go.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By pompouspizza

@Do_The_Manta_Ray: I personally think it does, I recommend playing on the hardest difficulty you can from the get go. I have played about 4 hours of it so far and I think it's great, I'm a huge far of the series and I think it feels just right. My only complaint about the game so far is that even on hard, it's a little too easy but i'm only on mission 4. You start off with three difficulty levels to chose from but there are seven in total.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Hailinel

@pompouspizza said:

@Hailinel: Don't play it on anything but the hardest difficulty from the get go.

That's not how Devil May Cry is supposed to work.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By pompouspizza

@Hailinel: How so?

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By pompouspizza

@GunstarRed: Yeah I know what you mean, the only enemy I have found this is not the case with are the guys with the chainsaws.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#22  Edited By Hizang

Is it Bayonetta esqe?

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By toowalrus

I really don't like this tread of PC games coming out two weeks later... worth it, though.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Hailinel

@pompouspizza said:

Devil May Cry games aren't supposed to be challenging only on the hardest difficulty. If the only way to get a challenge out of DMC3 were to play it on Dante Must Die mode, it wouldn't be nearly the same game that it is. DMC games are supposed to be a punishing challenge that requires skill, even on lower difficulties. Not "the only way to play is on Hard."

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By pompouspizza

@Hailinel: There are three difficulty levels to choose from at the start, but there are four more to unlock. It's not the hardest in the game, it's just the hardest you can pick when you boot up the game. And to be fair I have not played it on the default setting because it recommends people who have played Devil may cry before start on Nephilim (the hardest you can pick from the get go) but like I said there are still four more difficulty levels to unlock.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By pompouspizza

@Hizang: I finished Bayonetta but i didn't do much for me so I can't really remember it.

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#27  Edited By I_smell

The difficulty levels were pretty well explained in the demo, they write down the sentence that if you've played the other games then you should play this on Hard.
    Dropping the argument that it's not what the old games did, making Normal be accessible for people playing for the first time makes perfect sense, and doing it the way Capcom does is actually counter-intuitive to what difficulty settings are for.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#28  Edited By Yummylee

@Hailinel said:

@pompouspizza said:

Devil May Cry games aren't supposed to be challenging only on the hardest difficulty. If the only way to get a challenge out of DMC3 were to play it on Dante Must Die mode, it wouldn't be nearly the same game that it is. DMC games are supposed to be a punishing challenge that requires skill, even on lower difficulties. Not "the only way to play is on Hard."

DMC4 was pretty darn easy until you reached Dante Must Die mode. And when you look at the SE version of DMC3, that too only actually gets difficult once it reaches DmD mode. Point is DMC games have been relatively easy for a while when compared to their predecessors.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By pompouspizza

@Yummylee: Very true.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By pompouspizza

@I_smell: I'm pretty excited once I beat it on hard to try harder difficulty levels to see what it changes and how it mixes things up, And yes you hit the nail on the head, couldn't have said it better myself.

phrali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By phrali

why does everyone capitalize the d and the c but not the m? Looks so stupid.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#32  Edited By JJOR64

I think I'm going to pick up the PC version of this game.

@Hailinel said:

@GunstarRed said:

I saw footage of the final boss fight. It seemed waaaaaaay too easy for Devil May Cry.

I remember reading an article that Capcom is going to try to make all of their games "casual friendly" now like their recent fighting games. Guess it started here.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By jimmyfenix

a 14 year old kid saying FU all the time as dante and whats the union jack tattoo about anyway ?

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By golguin

@Yummylee said:

@Hailinel said:

@pompouspizza said:

DMC4 was pretty darn easy until you reached Dante Must Die mode. And when you look at the SE version of DMC3, that too only actually gets difficult once it reaches DmD mode. Point is DMC games have been relatively easy for a while when compared to their predecessors.

The special edition of DMC3? They gimped the difficulty because people cried about it. My memories of DMC3 center squarely on the Cerberus boss battle and how difficult it was. Even grinding to upgrade did little to help or so I hear.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#35  Edited By Phatmac
    @Hailinel

@pompouspizza said:

I never played a DMC game yet I bet DMC 4 without much trouble.
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Yummylee

@golguin said:

@Yummylee said:

@Hailinel said:

@pompouspizza said:

The special edition of DMC3? They gimped the difficulty because people cried about it. My memories of DMC3 center squarely on the Cerberus boss battle and how difficult it was. Even grinding to upgrade did little to help or so I hear.

And? Again, my point was that DMC has been relatively easy for a while, and what people most importantly need to remember is that DMC4 wasn't all that hard until you got to DmD mode. And even then it was significantly easier than DMC3's DmD.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By golguin

@Yummylee said:

@golguin said:

@Yummylee said:

@Hailinel said:

@pompouspizza said:

And? Again, my point was that DMC has been relatively easy for a while, and what people most importantly need to remember is that DMC4 wasn't all that hard until you got to DmD mode. And even then it was significantly easier than DMC3's DmD.

The point is that DMC games should provide a challenge at the default difficulty and that challenge should not simply be waved away by decreasing the difficulty setting. DMC games have been going in the wrong direction for a while and that doesn't excuse this game from being easy. Wasn't this game meant to put the series on the right track?

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Yummylee

@golguin: I'm pretty sure this DMC was meant to put the series on a completely different track altogether.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Hailinel

@Yummylee said:

@golguin: I'm pretty sure this DMC was meant to put the series on a completely different track altogether.

Then it's been put on a very wrong track indeed.

#Demons

In all seriousness, though, the lack of difficulty was one of DMC4's problems. The game should have been more challenging, in line at least with DMC3.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Dallas_Raines

Most action games and shooters this gen promote the first tier hard mode as being designed for players experienced with the genre/series. It's basically the standard now.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By pompouspizza

@golguin: Although it it's a very different direction for the series, I think they did a fantastic job with this game. I'm only 6 hours in so it could all fall apart but I think the combat is up there with the best in the series.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By pompouspizza

@jimmyfenix: It's not a tattoo, it's a patch on his jacket, it is a little odd but my guess is it's because the game was made in England.

Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#43  Edited By Samaritan

I'm sorry if this has already been asked, but I got a chance to play a portion of the game at PAX Prime last year and there were some platforming elements involving using the hook/spear-thing Dante has to climb up some buildings. From what you've played so far, how much of that game is platforming would you say?

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Dallas_Raines

@pompouspizza said:

@jimmyfenix: It's not a tattoo, it's a patch on his jacket, it is a little odd but my guess is it's because the game was made in England.

The union jack was a punk symbol back in the day.

Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Do_The_Manta_Ray

@Captain_Felafel: There's a decent amount in it, no doubt, though less than what you saw proportionally in the demo; that said, the platforming sections tend to not even be that, they're more snippets than anything that break up the action. As the game progresses, said snippets get increasingly grande in scope and scale to the point where, at one point of the game, you're utterly shaming the car-chase that took up about half of the second Matrix film. The platforming in the demo felt quite squeezed in, where-as in the full game, it feels more natural, and flows beautifully. They're more than rest-breaks, however, as they're dynamic and challenging in their own right.

One thing that most people won't expect going into the game is just HOW MUCH story there is to be found. The writing is superb in it's own right, and the game just oozes production value, but even I was slightly phased when faced with just how long and plentiful the cutscenes are. Don't get me wrong, it's not a complaint, far from it. I love it. It's just something most DMC veterans will have to come to terms with, because let's face it, previous DMC games had shite for story and action-scenes for cut-scenes; so beware, here be character development!

It's well-worth mentioning, also; just how fucking gorgeous the game is. I mean, hot damn, looking at it from a technical stand-point, one can scratch one's head and wonder just how the hell they pulled it off, but coupled with what is without a doubt among the best art-direction I've seen in a game, and without a doubt the best in a modern setting, it's just ridicously pretty. And the animations are the single best I've seen.

For the naysayers; I got my copy early, too. Also, full disclosure; I really like Ninja Theory, loved DMC 1 and 3, did not care for 2 and 4.

Edit: For all 'em fellas complaining about the difficulty, I agree in that it feels somewhat redundant to limit the difficulties as they have at the beginning of the game; but the "Nephilim" difficulty picks up after what is basically the tutorial levels and becomes pretty challenging. The next difficulty in line; "Son of Sparda" and all the other ones past that, actually involve an additional repetoire of enemies, and the old enemies have received new moves, even the bosses. Finally, the game sports an adaptive difficulty, much like in God-Hand, beyond the initial choice; so if you do well, the game will boost it even further for you, thus making it nigh-on impossible for it to be too easy.

Solh0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Solh0und

@pompouspizza: Any kind of friends leaderboard stuff?

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By handlas

lotta quicktime event stuff on bosses? Didn't the demo boss have that kinda thing. I just remember having to constantly leap to different platforms.

Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Do_The_Manta_Ray

@Solh0und: Nothing like you'd find in say, Sleeping Dogs, or Burnout; but there definitely are leaderboards, and an easy option to look up your friend's position after every mission. @handlas: Not ONE single quick-time event in the entire game. They manage to pull off the same visual stunts as say, GoW (God, not Gears) does, however; by introducing a lot of smaller cut-scenes in the middle of bosses, much like you saw after tearing down each of the cables connecting the boss to the roof in the demo.

Crysack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Crysack

@pompouspizza said:

Because DMC has always been about high-skill gameplay wherein the enemies hit hard and mistakes are punished heavily. On the harder difficulties, a single hit could kill you, which is precisely what made learning the combo system inside and out so rewarding.

Mrsignerman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Mrsignerman44

@Do_The_Manta_Ray said:

@Captain_Felafel: There's a decent amount in it, no doubt, though less than what you saw proportionally in the demo; that said, the platforming sections tend to not even be that, they're more snippets than anything that break up the action. As the game progresses, said snippets get increasingly grande in scope and scale to the point where, at one point of the game, you're utterly shaming the car-chase that took up about half of the second Matrix film. The platforming in the demo felt quite squeezed in, where-as in the full game, it feels more natural, and flows beautifully. They're more than rest-breaks, however, as they're dynamic and challenging in their own right.

One thing that most people won't expect going into the game is just HOW MUCH story there is to be found. The writing is superb in it's own right, and the game just oozes production value, but even I was slightly phased when faced with just how long and plentiful the cutscenes are. Don't get me wrong, it's not a complaint, far from it. I love it. It's just something most DMC veterans will have to come to terms with, because let's face it, previous DMC games had shite for story and action-scenes for cut-scenes; so beware, here be character development!

It's well-worth mentioning, also; just how fucking gorgeous the game is. I mean, hot damn, looking at it from a technical stand-point, one can scratch one's head and wonder just how the hell they pulled it off, but coupled with what is without a doubt among the best art-direction I've seen in a game, and without a doubt the best in a modern setting, it's just ridicously pretty. And the animations are the single best I've seen.

For the naysayers; I got my copy early, too. Also, full disclosure; I really like Ninja Theory, loved DMC 1 and 3, did not care for 2 and 4.

Edit: For all 'em fellas complaining about the difficulty, I agree in that it feels somewhat redundant to limit the difficulties as they have at the beginning of the game; but the "Nephilim" difficulty picks up after what is basically the tutorial levels and becomes pretty challenging. The next difficulty in line; "Son of Sparda" and all the other ones past that, actually involve an additional repetoire of enemies, and the old enemies have received new moves, even the bosses. Finally, the game sports an adaptive difficulty, much like in God-Hand, beyond the initial choice; so if you do well, the game will boost it even further for you, thus making it nigh-on impossible for it to be too easy.

I am now excited for this game. Especially since I didn't enjoy Anarchy Reigns too much when I played it last week and a lot of my backlog games weren't too fun. Never thought that DmC would pull me out of a gaming slump.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.