Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

DmC Devil May Cry

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Jan 15, 2013

DmC Devil May Cry is a reboot of the series from developer Ninja Theory, featuring a redesigned Dante and a new take on the franchise's fiction.

Ninja Theory Pulling Down Negative Reviews

• 87 results
    Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Oldirtybearon

I dunno about this. On the one hand it does seem a little shady, but on the other I don't think Ninja Theory would pull a review because it was a 7.5. They have a track record of making good games at this point (if not massive blockbusters in terms of sales). I dunno. They just don't strike me as the type to try and silence genuine criticism or reviews.

That all being said, I could be entirely wrong. Hopefully DmC is bad ass and floors people with its ostensible quality.

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#52  Edited By granderojo

I know a bit of German, and I tried reading a review from pcgames.de which is a german gaming wesbite mostly because their score was such an outlier to the rest for some game that I was about to play. Even with my little knowledge of German it read really poorly. In that moment I thought back to what Jeff had said about non-UK European press and it made me think he was right about them being shady as fuck.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#53  Edited By AlexanderSheen

@Brighty said:

@Yummylee said:

@Brighty: I am calm, and ''Ninja Theory Pulling Down Negative Reviews'' is more than a typo. It's an obvious attempt at making Ninja Theory look desperate and that they're a bunch of slimeballs. It's total speculative sensationalism to draw a total conclusion on why it was pulled down. This is very similar to how you created a pointless thread about some 3 second sex scene for the sake of drumming up controversy around a game you're clearly not very happy with.

But whatever, I'm just some paranoid DmC apologist so... Sa'll good, brah brah!

Oh come on, I made the thread about the sex scene in the game because I thought it was hilarious how absurd it was and wanted to share here because it everywhere else it was getting a big laugh. I'm not a big supporter of this game, but I suspect the game will turn out as a fine action game (albeit a poor DMC game), I'm not going out of my way to repeatedly try and bring the game down. You act like I have a personal vendetta against NT/Capcom. Dude, I don't know what tramatic event you've been through in the trenches here defending this game, but you are acting crazy, lol.

He's not crazy, he's just calling you out on your bullshit. Big difference.

Brighty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Brighty

@AlexanderSheen said:

@Brighty said:

@Yummylee said:

@Brighty: I am calm, and ''Ninja Theory Pulling Down Negative Reviews'' is more than a typo. It's an obvious attempt at making Ninja Theory look desperate and that they're a bunch of slimeballs. It's total speculative sensationalism to draw a total conclusion on why it was pulled down. This is very similar to how you created a pointless thread about some 3 second sex scene for the sake of drumming up controversy around a game you're clearly not very happy with.

Oh come on, I made the thread about the sex scene in the game because I thought it was hilarious how absurd it was and wanted to share here because it everywhere else it was getting a big laugh. I'm not a big supporter of this game, but I suspect the game will turn out as a fine action game (albeit a poor DMC game), I'm not going out of my way to repeatedly try and bring the game down. You act like I have a personal vendetta against NT/Capcom. Dude, I don't know what tramatic event you've been through in the trenches here defending this game, but you are acting crazy, lol.

How?

@thabigred said:

I know a bit of German, and I tried reading a review from pcgames.de which is a german gaming wesbite mostly because their score was such an outlier to the rest for some game that I was about to play. Even with my little knowledge of German it read really poorly. In that moment I thought back to what Jeff had said about non-UK European press and it made me think he was right about them being shady as fuck.

Was that during the 10-31-2012 podcast where they spent an hour just being real about mock reviews and shit like that? One of my favorite bits of the entire year. Has the European press always been notorious for being wishy-washy like that?

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#55  Edited By Yummylee

@Brighty: You have a personal vendetta against NT/Capcom that is just as severe as the traumatic event that I suffered in my attempts to defend DmC.

Point is this can now only divulge into you continuing to insinuate I'm a crazy fanboy apologist and then I retort that you're (perhaps not with these words) a butthurt, classic DMC fanboy who's passive-aggressively making jabs at this new game. In any case we're at a stalemate, but the fact of the matter is you posted this thread with a bloody awful title, regardless of whether you intended its implications or not.

Brighty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Brighty

@Yummylee said:

@Brighty: You have a personal vendetta against NT/Capcom that is just as severe as the traumatic event that I suffered in my attempts to defend DmC.

Point is this can now only divulge into you continuing to insinuate I'm a crazy fanboy apologist and then I retort that you're (perhaps not with these words) a butthurt, classic DMC fanboy who's passive-aggressively making jabs at this new game. In any case we're at a stalemate, but the fact of the matter is you posted this thread with a bloody awful title, regardless of whether you intended its implications or not.

Lol I was about to post something similiar, at this point there's no way either of us can convince the other that we're anything but what we've already labeled each other as, so best to leave it at that. Looking at all the responses in this thread and looking back to the OP, I agree that there's a good argument that the topic was a poor choice of words and I plead ignorance to being out of touch with the GB DmC community here and sparking this snowball of vitriol and hate by loosely implying a PR spin by NT/Capcom. I suppose we'll find out if there's any merit or reasoning behind the review being pulled in the coming days, but there's no sense in arguing back and forth over semantics now. If I do post any more DmC threads, I'll be sure to be more mindful of the choice of words therein, I don't want my threads to devolve into this again.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By AlexanderSheen

@Brighty said:

@AlexanderSheen said:

@Brighty said:

@Yummylee said:

How?

By pointing out: 7.5 is not considered as a bad score, how sensationalistic and inaccurate the thread title is and your visible bias against the game.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#58  Edited By ch3burashka

Wouldn't be surprised if this was an example of an overzealous legal team - surely no one is this stupid in this day and age. If I'm wrong, shame on you Ninja Theory. In any case, that tweet is despicable. Time will tell if your game is good - fuck you for shitting on a review site, no matter what their opinion is.

mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By mnzy

People want to hate this game so much, it's stupid. I've seen a couple of threads about it on gaf, they were all so full of bias and hate, very unpleasant and usually not the case there.

On a different note: if that review would be completely legit, how good would the chances of it actually getting taken down be? Would be terrible if it's that easy.

kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#60  Edited By kerse

7.5 is a bad score?

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#61  Edited By colourful_hippie

@kerse said:

7.5 is a bad score?

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#62  Edited By OllyOxenFree

@Colourful_Hippie said:

@kerse said:

7.5 is a bad score?

I still remember all of that hoopla. One notable gamespot comment being "jeff is fat".

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#63  Edited By sweep  Moderator

@StarvingGamer said:

@Brighty said:

Also, doesn't GB usually just go out and buy the games on release day anyway and not get them from the publisher? Does Capcom send them review copies?

That is the complete opposite of what happens.

EDIT: Ugh, just flag this shit and get it locked

Discussion is civil and on-topic, regardless of the intentions of the OP. I'm happy to leave it open.

jsnyder82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By jsnyder82

@Demoskinos said:

@Yummylee said:

Went to go watch some of the trailers for this again. Got a good chuckle when one of the first comments I saw was this...

Brighty on Aug. 17, 2012 at 4:45 p.m.
    Ugh... not impressed at all with this

All I can think of when I see this username is "I call the big one Brighty!"

Also, I'm calling bullshit on this entire article. It's obviously just some butt-hurt people who are bound and determined not to like this game, making a fuss over nothing.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By RE_Player1

@mnzy: Yeah the amount of hate for this game is crazy. People need to chill out.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#66  Edited By StarvingGamer

@Sweep: Fair enough

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Spoonman671

Somebody disregards a non-disclosure agreement and threats of legal action follow? Conspiracy!

mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#68  Edited By mesoian

@msavo: There are reasons to dislike this game. They are pretty deep under the surface though, so I don't know if it'll reflect in reviews.

Regardless, Capcom is blowing their load early if they're going after THESE reviews. The big publications have barely had time with this game and if those youtube videos from the demo are concerned, the thing that makes Devil May Cry, Devil May Cry, isn't here.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
    TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

@Spoonman671 said:

Somebody disregards a non-disclosure agreement and threats of legal action follow? Conspiracy!

Collusion!

This does seem kinda shady, but not on Capcoms part and certainly not on Ninja Theory's part.

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By oldenglishc

@jakob187:

I really appreciate the reply, it's good to get a peek behind the curtain at things I'm completely ignorant about.

Krockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Krockett

since when is 7.5 a bad score...seems respectable in my eyes

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Quarters

How I long for a day when people will stop whining incessantly about DmC.

SagaciousJones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By SagaciousJones

A 7.5 has been a negative score for games since always. If it's anything lower than an 8.0-8.5, it's worthless in the eyes of publishers.

Edit: Not to drum up this silly controversy any further or anything. Despite my bitterness over DmC, I'm gonna give NT the benefit of the doubt on this one and say it's an embargo issue, not a review score one. Let's just not turn our eyes away from the cynical truth of score inflation that plagues games journalism. Not everybody is Giant Bomb.

Transitional

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Transitional

https://twitter.com/OXMUK/status/288226279055044608 ....... NT recently said that OXMUK gave them a 9/10 ...... Lmao, Jesus this is such a PR nightmare for them

BrittonPeele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#75  Edited By BrittonPeele

@Brighty said:

- The NT account confirmed that 'genuine' review was a review by someone who actually received the review code and played the game. They're claiming there are reviews from places that didn't receive it

Ah so the sites that were given the review copy for free felt it was better, what a surprise!

Just relaying all this information from NeoGaf/etc. so there may be more sides to this developing, but extrapolate from this what you will. Seems shady as shit though. Gaming journalism, folks.

I got Tank! Tank! Tank! for free to review and I still hated it. http://www.gamespot.com/tank-tank-tank/reviews/tank-tank-tank-review-6400617/

Getting a game for free does not make it review better, even in the tiniest bit. Unless you're writing for a tiny blog or something and the idea of a free game is incredibly exciting and you're afraid of losing the privilege if you give games bad reviews. Doesn't happen in the professional world, though.

::EDIT:: Should have looked at how old this topic was before I replied to it. Sorry for dredging it back up.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#76  Edited By TheHT

@Transitional said:

https://twitter.com/OXMUK/status/288226279055044608 ....... NT recently said that OXMUK gave them a 9/10 ...... Lmao, Jesus this is such a PR nightmare for them

I guess the nightmare's over?

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#77  Edited By impartialgecko

I see nothing to complain about with a 7.5. Even though reviews tend to operate on a 7-10 scale a 7.5 is well within the boundaries of acceptable for a publisher.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#78  Edited By toowalrus

@Brighty said:

The NT account confirmed that 'genuine' review was a review by someone who actually received the review code and played the game. They're claiming there are reviews from places that didn't receive it.

If that's true... I don't have a problem with it.

murisan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By murisan

@Quarters said:

How I long for a day when people will stop whining incessantly about DmC.

It hasn't even been a week. Keep longin'

Nasos100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Nasos100

Isnt the guy that started this topic the one that claimed Brad got paid for the review score in the comments?

sasnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By sasnake

@Brighty said:

- Italian website publishes a review of DmC, giving it a 7.5

- Italian website's review was taken down by Capcom's legal team

- Ninja Theory releases this tweet, claiming the review wasn't genuine:

http://imageshack.us/a/img341/8117/1357572230049.png

- The NT account confirmed that 'genuine' review was a review by someone who actually received the review code and played the game. They're claiming there are reviews from places that didn't receive it

Ah so the sites that were given the review copy for free felt it was better, what a surprise!

Just relaying all this information from NeoGaf/etc. so there may be more sides to this developing, but extrapolate from this what you will. Seems shady as shit though. Gaming journalism, folks.

The Embargo only lifted like 3 days ago, so thats probably why. Please think before trying to spread conspiracy.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By ripelivejam

THERE'S BARIUM IN HER HAIR!!!!!!!!

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#83  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@Nasos100 said:

Isnt the guy that started this topic the one that claimed Brad got paid for the review score in the comments?

CONSPIRACY! Seems shady as shit.

Nah it is though. It's the guy who put up the picture of him unsubscribing and saying "fuck Patrick".

redcream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#85  Edited By redcream

7.5 is an okay score.

s10129107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#86  Edited By s10129107

I don't understand how NT could take legal action to refute the "genuine" nature"of a review. Also, it's typically the publisher (Capcom in this case) who would pull this kind of stuff. I've never heard of a developer bullying reviews.

s10129107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#87  Edited By s10129107

@ArtisanBreads said:

@Nasos100 said:

CONSPIRACY! Seems shady as shit.

Nah it is though. It's the guy who put up the picture of him unsubscribing and saying "fuck Patrick".

OH! COLLUSION!

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#88  Edited By EpicSteve

Reviews barely affect game sales and you think they would really care about some random Italian site? This site probably broke a legitimate rule.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.