The DoDonPachi wiki last edited by Kyle on 05/12/13 03:08AM
View full history
DoDonPachi is a vertical scrolling shooting game (otherwise known as a shmup) created by the Japanese developer Cave. It was initially released for the arcades, but was ported to the Playstation and Saturn (In Japan only). It is also available on the Xbox 360 as an unlockable Kinect enabled bonus through Cave's visual novel Instant Brain.
The player fights against massive swarms of enemies and over the top bosses that fill the screen with stylized bullet patterns. To succeed at this game the player must expertly dodge the massive steam of bullets while chain killing the enemies for score. This chain killing mechanic is a central part of the game. Where a player must keep his Chain Counter Gauge full (in the top left of the screen) by constantly killing enemies and damaging bosses. Bonus Score is added based on constantly keeping this gauge filled. Achieving this bonus is necessary for high level play and to unlock the secret second loop.
Ships & Weapons
When the player starts the game he has a choice of 3 different ships, each with their own unique main weapon (Activated by tapping the fire button).
- Type A (Red): Fires a concentrated stream of bullets that does more damage but has trouble dealing with very large groups.
- Type B (Green): Fires a stream of bullets forward but the edges of the stream also fires in the direction you are pointing the arcade stick.
- Type C (Blue): Fires in a fan shape that covers a large amount of the screen but does less damage then the other ships.
In addition to the main weapons each ship can activate a narrow stream of fire that does more damage to a single target (Holding down the fire button). However it lowers the player's maneuverability considerably.
Each ship also has a limited amount of bombs in case of emergency. If a player is using their main gun, the bomb clears all of the bullets and damages every enemy on the screen. When the player uses their narrow stream of fire, the bomb makes the narrow fire extremely powerful and gives the player a limited invincibility.
There are 6 levels to the game which can be looped if certain conditions are met:
- You don't Lose more then 2 Lives.
- You Complete the game with 1 Credit.
- Score atleast 50 million points by the end of the 6 Level.
- Collect all 13 bee power ups in 4 of the 6 levels.
- A maximum hit count depending of the ship type (Type A - 270 hits; Type B - 300 hits; Type C - 330 hits).
The Second Loop has the same levels as before, however the enemies fire is greatly increased and is the only way to get the true ending of the game.