Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Double Fine Productions, Inc.

Company »

Led by famed game designer Tim Schafer, Double Fine Productions, Inc. is an American game developer responsible for Psychonauts and Brütal Legend. Microsoft Game Studios acquired Double Fine in 2019.

$1.6 Million and Counting

umdesch4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#151  Edited By umdesch4

@CanItRunBF3: If you pledge $15, you're basically pre-ordering a game that hasn't been made yet, and getting some exclusive access to the development process for your trouble.

HaroldoNVU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#152  Edited By HaroldoNVU

@jasondesante said:

It would be cool to see a whole new adventure game, but I really want Full Throttle 2 more than ANYTHING else! :D Full Throttle was the first game I ever finished in my life, at 3 years old on my Mac pro! :D

They should have released all their Amnesia Fortnite games on Steam first, I think the financial story would have been a litle different.

My backer vote goes to the project being Full Throttle 2 :D

I don't think it was their call, I'm assuming it was THQ's since they decided to self publish Costume Quest on Steam. Also, I'm not sure but I think LucasArts owns the Full Throttle IP. Telltale Games could pull it off as they seem to have a good relationship with LA and even did the newest Monkey Island game, but I don't know how they'd feel about letting DoubleFine make a new Full Throttle, that is, assuming LA owns it.

KestrelPi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#153  Edited By KestrelPi

First of all, LucasArts has all the rights for the franchises and always will. It's company policy not to sell them. Second of all, this is a unique opportunity to get a brand new adventure game from the mind of Tim Schafer... I don't understand why anyone would want to use that opportunity up on a sequel. I am really excited to see what sort of world Tim Schafer will build for an adventure game in 2011!

r3dt1d3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#154  Edited By r3dt1d3

Hopefully publishers take notice that we don't necessarily want their predictable sequels all the time and will pay someone to make something great ourselves.

spartanlolz92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155  Edited By spartanlolz92

@niamahai said:

Those guys are probably shitting themselves on what to do next. People's expectations will be the death of DoubleFine.

thats so much pressure i mean imagine the people who are paying for your game are all the fans? it would be really hard to gauge criticism from them. i hope this turns out well

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#156  Edited By Mezmero

Free money sucks unless it's being given to me. Just kidding. I'm glad to see things looking up for Double Fine as they have made some of the best comedic games of all time. Schafer feels good now but the pressure is on for him to make something amazing. A new adventure game sounds great. Offer him more whiskey to get the hottest scoops on whatever the hell they end up making.

mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157  Edited By mnzy
    @spartanlolz92 said:

@niamahai said:

Those guys are probably shitting themselves on what to do next. People's expectations will be the death of DoubleFine.

thats so much pressure i mean imagine the people who are paying for your game are all the fans? it would be really hard to gauge criticism from them. i hope this turns out well

I'm a backer and I just want them to do what they want, really. I think most people do.
    TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158  Edited By TruthTellah

Thanks so much for this interview; this was great. If only we could hear from more developers so casually like this.

I look forward to seeing what Double Fine will be do with my money. :)

DrDarkStryfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#159  Edited By DrDarkStryfe

It is always great to hear what Tim has to say, he is one of the best personalities in gaming.

Fuga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160  Edited By Fuga

How much do they actually get after all the fees and taxes?

I heard something like 60%.

umdesch4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161  Edited By umdesch4

@mnzy said:

@spartanlolz92 said:

@niamahai said:

I'm a backer and I just want them to do what they want, really. I think most people do.

My comment on the kickstarter page said:

I'm totally fine if our influence amounts to the occasional vote in a poll that's on whatever community site they set up. I donated 'cuz I have faith that they'll make something great, and while I appreciate the potential to be involved, I wouldn't trust myself to ever second guess what they're gonna do!

tuftymctavish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By tuftymctavish

This is such a great story. I'm utterly fascinated by it. The accidental timing of it and having it distrupt GDC is just brilliant. Thanks, Patrick, you were asking just the sort of things I want to know. Your commentary about similarities with GiantBomb is spot on in my mind - I like what you do and am more than willing to contribute my yearly subs towards it.

algertman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163  Edited By algertman

@superscatman said:

@HelixNebula said:

Not everyone seems to like this.

http://www.pixelperfectmag.com/2012/02/sunday-edition-kickstarter-double-fine.html

He does bring up some valid points.

This guy seems to have a uninformed opinion on Double Fine's financial situation. Tim even said in this interview that they were worried that they were going to have to downsize .The person who wrote the article thinks that because he played the games or has at least heard of them it means they have to have been a financial success.

Also, the idea of giving the extra money to charity is really dumb. It was given to them to make a game, if the people wanted to give to a charity they would have in the first place.

The guy who wrote the article seems awfully upset that people who are fans of a company are giving a company money to make a game that they want.

Down with video game bail outs. RON PAUL!!

batmeng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164  Edited By batmeng

What I would give for another Grim Fandango game.

Screw you LucasArts.

mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165  Edited By mnzy
    @Fuga said:

How much do they actually get after all the fees and taxes?

I heard something like 60%.

Yes, I heard that recently, too. Taxes are insane on it, because it counts as a gift, not an investment.
    jasondesante

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#166  Edited By jasondesante

imagine if Steam let you convert keys into money then you could donate tf2 items to a kickstarter like thing on steam. then people would stop selling tf2 items using paypal and can just use steam wallet, and people can even fund video games with their scrap metal...how crazy would that be? holy crap the future is promising

I think it would be awesome to let people donate money or even time if they don't have any money, but then the scrap metal could be converted to money at a high enough level. That would be amazing.

Basically if Double Fine sold keys and Refined metal for paypal money like some traders do, I would gladly donate some metal. I know others will too. With enough metal they would have a lot of stock to sell which would result in more money for their fund. Digital items could totally act as additional currency if implemented in the right system like Steam is currently working towards.

OverlyEquipped

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167  Edited By OverlyEquipped

@algertman: Brutal Legend was more so advertised poorly to say the least. Especially when you don't even expect the other core-part of the game..

milkman4591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#168  Edited By milkman4591

maybe one day, advent rising 2 will be put on kickstarter...

doublezeroduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By doublezeroduck

Adventure games aren't for me but if it was for Psyconauts 2 I would chip in a couple hundred or so. Make it happen Double Fine!

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
    tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170  Edited By tim_the_corsair
    @AhmadMetallic
    Three articles about Double Fine in less than a week.. this is getting unprofessional. Sure, we love Schafer and the guys are friends with you GB staff but you're spamming about them at this point, Patrick.  

Edit: Eh, I'm enjoying reading this, why was the observant comment obligatory? I dunno, it just is.
    Maybe because this whole situation is kind of a big deal with far-reaching consequences for the entire industry?

Nah, you're right they should just set an arbitrary limit on how many articles they run so they aren't spamming about Double Fine.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#171  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Tim_the_Corsair said:
    @AhmadMetallic
    Three articles about Double Fine in less than a week.. this is getting unprofessional. Sure, we love Schafer and the guys are friends with you GB staff but you're spamming about them at this point, Patrick.  

Edit: Eh, I'm enjoying reading this, why was the observant comment obligatory? I dunno, it just is.
    Maybe because this whole situation is kind of a big deal with far-reaching consequences for the entire industry? Nah, you're right they should just set an arbitrary limit on how many articles they run so they aren't spamming about Double Fine.
    You get me, I like that.
    Nomin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 9

#172  Edited By Nomin

Hmm.. as good an anti-piracy measure as the industry, along with some friendly media liaisons, will ever come up with. Still a roulette of sorts though, NEG offered a similar pledge but conditional to some unrealistic goals and wasn`t able to achieve much.

Lazyaza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 43

#173  Edited By Lazyaza

"Oh, I just told you all my secrets! [laughs]" - heh made me laugh too. I hope this game turns out amazing, heck even if it doesn't it's a special event people should be part of in some capacity when its done. The first modestly budgeted fan-funded game and one that is part of a supposed "dead" genre too. It's all so awesome.

subyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#174  Edited By subyman

I threw down 30 bucks just for the hell of it.

chrisplyons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175  Edited By chrisplyons

When this whole thing kicked off I was so excited just to give my money to Tim. It made me stop and think about how I have to support the ones that really matter. So for the first time for the years of service I finally gave GB the money they deserved. Sorry it took so long guys. Happy to put something in your pocket now.

Fealiks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By Fealiks

@Klei: Monkey Island already got that treatment from Telltale

CodeFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177  Edited By CodeFire

What a great interview this was. :D

"Are you just sitting there?"

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#178  Edited By Meowayne

Some of you wish for this money to be poured into a sequel. That baffles me. There is this very rare occurance indeed where an established house is able, willing and aptly funded to create a digital game outside of the influence of a publisher, and here we have a significant amount of people who would not want this to be an original game? What?

TinyGallon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179  Edited By TinyGallon

How great was Full Throttle

dodgyc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180  Edited By dodgyc

You know, I don't even care that this is a point and click game. I pledged because I would like them to deliver something with a story core as strong as Grim Fandango and Monkey Island. I'll forgive a lot of flaws if that isn't compromised. For me, story mechanics stay in my mind far longer than things like gameplay mechanics (e.g. GF's strange camera oriented 3d sontrol scheme).

AxleBro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181  Edited By AxleBro

@AhmadMetallic said:

Three articles about Double Fine in less than a week.. this is getting unprofessional. Sure, we love Schafer and the guys are friends with you GB staff but you're spamming about them at this point, Patrick. Edit: Eh, I'm enjoying reading this, why was the observant comment obligatory? I dunno, it just is.

don't read them then, some of us like Double Fine.

EnduranceFun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182  Edited By EnduranceFun

Great interview Patrick, wanted some coverage of this amazing... thing that happened.

Though it does get a bit self-indulgent when you mention Giant Bomb, and that is reflected by Schafer's answer there. Still, keep up the good work.

danielcampbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183  Edited By danielcampbell

First off, I think this is really great. I love Tim and wish him all the success he is due.

That being said, I'm curious how some of the smaller indie devs feel about this. Kickstarter seems to be geared towards smaller teams that have nowhere else to go for funding. For someone who already makes multi-millions dollar games to come in and take money from kickstarter may...disappoint some indies. It's kind of like someone who makes millions of dollars a year having medicaid.

Again, I think this is awesome and love Tim with all my geek heart.

KestrelPi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184  Edited By KestrelPi

@danielcampbell said:

First off, I think this is really great. I love Tim and wish him all the success he is due.

That being said, I'm curious how some of the smaller indie devs feel about this. Kickstarter seems to be geared towards smaller teams that have nowhere else to go for funding. For someone who already makes multi-millions dollar games to come in and take money from kickstarter may...disappoint some indies. It's kind of like someone who makes millions of dollars a year having medicaid.

Again, I think this is awesome and love Tim with all my geek heart.

We are nearly all supportive of it amongst the London indie devs I know. First of all, Tim has always fought to make the games he really wants to make, and there's nothing more indie than that. Secondly, quite a few projects have reported an increase in funding since the Double Fine Project began, just from the increase in people buzzing around Kickstarter. Lastly, we're not really a jealous bunch, on the whole, and we like to celebrate success when we see it.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#185  Edited By Claude

They should make a point and click adventure that's Kinect enabled. You point and say click.

wafflez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#186  Edited By wafflez

I'm really glad that the double fine love extends beyond Giant Bomb.  These are some of the best dudes making games right now and it would have been horrible if they didn't hit their goal.  I donated 100$ first time I heard about this because I knew it was money well spent. 

Xeirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187  Edited By Xeirus

@AxleFGK said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

Three articles about Double Fine in less than a week.. this is getting unprofessional. Sure, we love Schafer and the guys are friends with you GB staff but you're spamming about them at this point, Patrick. Edit: Eh, I'm enjoying reading this, why was the observant comment obligatory? I dunno, it just is.

Stupidity is the worst...

danielcampbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188  Edited By danielcampbell

@SurplusGamer: Good to hear! I was just curious if there were any indies out there who might me upset a little and are afraid to complain due to possible severe backlash.

DrStrangepork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189  Edited By DrStrangepork

It warms my heart to see the gaming community get behind something like this for Double Fine. I have to say I am a fan of Tim Schafer and Double Fine games and I think an adventure game, if done correctly, could be a lot of fun. Or maybe Tim Schafer is just using this money to fund his death ray.

Either way, I'm cool with it.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#190  Edited By Hailinel

@AhmadMetallic said:

It's unprofessional to post follow-up stories and related interviews?

Do you understand how reporting the news works?

enoteware

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191  Edited By enoteware

Great quote from Tim "If you want to do what other people want you to do in life, it’s a lot easier. If you do what you want to do, it’s a lot harder. We’ve always accepted that."

BitterAlmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192  Edited By BitterAlmond

This has motivated me to finally get around to spending some time and making Grim Fandango work on my computer. Fingers crossed.

EmuLeader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#193  Edited By EmuLeader

@Pop said:

Tim said that a game selling 40.000 copies is a flop, but all those 40.000 ppl didn't donate just 15$ some donated 100 1000 etc. so some ppl bought the game 100 times xD, also this thing is crazy and doesn't kickstarter take a part of this?

he said the average for the amount raised based on the amount of people who have donated is $35 per person, which is still less than a retail game.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#194  Edited By Brendan

@Xeirus said:

@AxleFGK said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

Giantbomb is a small website, with less access to developers for stories like this.

1. This story is in its zeitgeist period right now, so it makes sense to cover it when its getting a lot of attention.

2. Because Giantbomb is small, and only has a few key relationships, it has to use that comparitive advantage and maximize those relationships. Giantbomb would like to be able to do this sort of thing with every developer if they could, but they can only manage to pull it off (at the moment) with Double Fine, with Greg Kasavin, with Johnny V, and a few others. They are going to get in depth coverage that others aren't when they can, and they can only do that with a limited amount of people. If you can't recognize this reality then its not Giantbomb's problem, its yours.

dragonaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195  Edited By dragonaut

I have never played a Tim Schafer gaem

ngh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196  Edited By ngh

@Brendan said:

@Xeirus said:

@AxleFGK said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

Giantbomb is a small website, with less access to developers for stories like this.

1. This story is in its zeitgeist period right now, so it makes sense to cover it when its getting a lot of attention.

2. Because Giantbomb is small, and only has a few key relationships, it has to use that comparitive advantage and maximize those relationships. Giantbomb would like to be able to do this sort of thing with every developer if they could, but they can only manage to pull it off (at the moment) with Double Fine, with Greg Kasavin, with Johnny V, and a few others. They are going to get in depth coverage that others aren't when they can, and they can only do that with a limited amount of people. If you can't recognize this reality then its not Giantbomb's problem, its yours.

I agree with you, and I think also that the big story here is not that Double Fine or Tim Schafer are getting that kind of attention, but in the fact that the way the sausage is made games-wise is changing so radically. Given, this is an extremely special case, but I think it illustrates that while a Call of Duty game can sell a jillion copies and (probably) always will, there is an interesting democratization of game production happening at the enthusiast level. The rapid growth of the games industry creates new opportunities for those who aren't Epic or Bungie to make a living while still providing a more specific audience with the products that they want. I will say that these stories have been extremely interesting to me, regardless of the fact that the last game I played that involved anyone at Double Fine was "Full Throttle" back in 19xx, because of the idea that now, maybe, all we have to do is fund and support the games and developers we like to get the products that we want.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#197  Edited By Brendan

I should add that the people here putting this situation as "Patrick is doing a bunch of Patrick stories" are simply wrong. There has been one news item with updates, and an interview. An interview and a news story are not the same thing. Websites everywhere do a news story and an interview in the span of a week.

BMUZYN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198  Edited By BMUZYN

@algertman: I agree with you, I played it for a few hours and had to put into my graveyard...

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199  Edited By selbie

I almost feel like my $35 wasn't enough now :P

cavemantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200  Edited By cavemantom

@TinyGallon said:

How great was Full Throttle

Totally great.

It's a crying shame that LucasFilm are too busy squandering the rights to Maniac Mansion/DOTT and Full Throttle to make a continuation of either of those possible.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.