Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age II

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Mar 08, 2011

This sequel to Dragon Age: Origins features faster combat, a new art style, and a brand new, fully voiced main character named Hawke.

Did they forget to put in the main storyline?

• 65 results
    Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Hunkulese

I'll start off by saying I am enjoying the game but after 18 hours I'm starting to wonder what is driving the story. There are plenty of great sidequests but the main story points have been: (minor spoilers I guess) 1.You ran away from the Blight 2.Now your poor 3.You want to go on an expedition but you're poor. 4.You go on the expedition, fight a big rock dude (who really doesn't appear to tie into the story), kill big rock dude, now you're rich. 5. Now you have a mansion.  

Am I missing something? Does the game have an antagonist or is it just a recapping of the many sidequests the champion Hawke had to complete to become the champion? Is the world not going to be destroyed if I fail?  

They've dealt a lot with the shitty way the mages are treated in Kirkwall so I'm guessing eventually I'll have to deal with Knight-Commander Meredith but I really hope that doesn't turn out to be the climax of the game. 

BRING ON ANOTHER BLIGHT!

azrailx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By azrailx

they forgot a lot of things the main thing being content : 

waaaay to many reused dungeons 
    repeat codex entries  
    little main plot 
    significantly less dialgoue 
    combat that has a soul

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By donchipotle

Well judging by the intro, somehow the Chantry gets involved but who knows. 

It  seems that it is a game made up of isolated incidents. Which, you know, I am fine with since I get to see shit happen sooner rather than having to wait for the end for all the payoff.

gkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By gkhan

It becomes clearer as the game goes on. The first act, the one that ends with the expedition, is really just set-up. Both act 2 and act 3 have very clear storylines with very identifiable antagonists. 

The story clearly isn't as focused as in DA:O, where everything is about stopping the Blight, and whatever you do is in service of that. DA2's story is more of a biography, we get to follow The Champion rising from poverty to becoming very important. It's a different way to tell a story, but it's not necessarily worse. Just very different. It takes a while to get going, but I thought it was satisfying by the end. 

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By warxsnake

I feel exactly the same way playing this. Where is the main plot? It's fine if there isn't one sole driving force (i thought it would be that rockmonster) but I'm kinda getting lost. Still didn't finish it though so who knows.  

At least it's not like every other bioware game story: ancient force rises to power somehow, and is stronger than everything, and threatens the existence of everything, and you have to stop it. 

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By awesomeusername

Where's all the funny forums?!?!

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By Vinny_Says

Back of the box says: "make your fortune and fame" or something along those lines....you can't be that surprised, the end picks up quite nice though.

Ichorid4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By Ichorid4

There is stuff happening and sure it gets a bit more cohesive in Acts 2 and 3... but is any of that a real substitute for the lack of a strong narrative backbone of any kind? Unless future games put DA2's events into a better context than this game itself implies I have to wonder...

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By yinstarrunner

So far, it reminds me of a story in a GTA game.   You spend most of your time doing random shit for random people, and occasionally you'll get a mission that will move the overarching story forward ever so slightly.  And then its back to doing more random shit for no good reason.

I don't like the story structure of GTA games, and so far DAII feels like a wasted opportunity.  In a world so rich in lore, why am I stuck being an errand boy?

That's just my thoughts so far, and I'm not too far into the game.

Avatar image for kitsune_conundrum
    kitsune_conundrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

stuff just happens and you're stuck in the middle of it. the end is tied all the way back to act 1 in the most irrelevent and unexplained of ways.

Harmonican

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By Harmonican

Why must every game be about saving the world for people to be satisfied? You would think trying to get by and maybe save a city would be enough for once. The Origins story was so generic and boring in comparison. I just don't get it.  

*edit: 
    And it's not like nothing goes on in DAII. Shit certainly hits the fan in the end, it's just that you as a player don't have direct control over everything that happens. You are just in the middle of it.

denryu12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By denryu12

I thought the ending to this game was great, when bioware said dragon age 2 changes the world of thedas man they wasn't joking.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#13  Edited By Daveyo520

It is about your rise to power and the city. It is about YOU not something else. People need to stop bitching, christ.

lord_canti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By lord_canti

prepare for the final fantasy xiii excuse. give it a couple more hours

dragonzord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By dragonzord

Funny. I had that same question about Mass Effect 2

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By shirogane

They didn't forget, it's just kinda not well done and all left at the end. 

That said, this is probably the first Bioware game that doesnt' follow an extremely specific path. Go to these 4 places, do this, stuff happens, final boss boom!
    Liminality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Liminality

I was wondering the same thing when I played it, but now I consider it to be the best story I've seen in a game, this is a very accurate definition:

@gkhan
    said:

" It becomes clearer as the game goes on. The first act, the one that ends with the expedition, is really just set-up. Both act 2 and act 3 have very clear storylines with very identifiable antagonists.  The story clearly isn't as focused as in DA:O, where everything is about stopping the Blight, and whatever you do is in service of that. DA2's story is more of a biography, we get to follow The Champion rising from poverty to becoming very important. It's a different way to tell a story, but it's not necessarily worse. Just very different. It takes a while to get going, but I thought it was satisfying by the end.  "
    Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Fallen189

I'm fucking sick of these kinds of theads. Can we just sticky a "I'm gonna spout my mouth about what I don't like and nobody will care about" thread?

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#19  Edited By MildMolasses
    @warxsnake said:
    "I feel exactly the same way playing this. Where is the main plot? It's fine if there isn't one sole driving force (i thought it would be that rockmonster) but I'm kinda getting lost. Still didn't finish it though so who knows.   At least it's not like every other bioware game story: ancient force rises to power somehow, and is stronger than everything, and threatens the existence of everything, and you have to stop it.  "

Seems a little unfair to point the finger at Bioware for that. You just described 90% of all rpgs ever made.
    Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20  Edited By Simplexity

This game's strength is definately not the main plot, come to think of it does it even have a main plot? 

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @zoner said:

" Funny. I had that same question about Mass Effect 2 "

Too true.

@Fallen189 said:

" I'm fucking sick of these kinds of theads. Can we just sticky a "I'm gonna spout my mouth about what I don't like and nobody will care about" thread? "

I'm fucking sick of these kinds of comments. Can we just copy paste:  "I'm gonna spout my mouth about how I don't like to read complaints about a game, but click those threads and read them anyway"? 
    Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Fallen189
    @Tennmuerti said:
    " @zoner said:

Too true.

@Fallen189 said:

" I'm fucking sick of these kinds of theads. Can we just sticky a "I'm gonna spout my mouth about what I don't like and nobody will care about" thread? "

I'm fucking sick of these kinds of comments. Can we just copy paste:  "I'm gonna spout my mouth about how I don't like to read complaints about a game, but click those threads and read them anyway"?  "
    That's such a crock of shit and you know it is. Every thread is divulging into elitists saying how "Oh it's a terrible game so whatever lol bioware so gay ARGH EA".
    wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23  Edited By wrighteous86
    @Fallen189: If you want a forum where everyone loves everything about the game and has no complaints, head over to the Bioware forums, where every dissenting opinion gets banned.
    asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#24  Edited By asurastrike
    @zoner said:
    I was thinking the exact same thing.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ryanwho

DAO didn't have a plot either. It had 5 small plots that resolved themselves in a vacuum. DA2 has 3 small unrelated plots that resolve themselves in sequence.

kitsune_conundrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the main plot of da2 is to lead to da3.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Hunkulese
    @Fallen189 said:
    " @Tennmuerti said:
    " @zoner said:

Too true.

@Fallen189 said:

I'm fucking sick of these kinds of comments. Can we just copy paste:  "I'm gonna spout my mouth about how I don't like to read complaints about a game, but click those threads and read them anyway"?  "
    That's such a crock of shit and you know it is. Every thread is divulging into elitists saying how "Oh it's a terrible game so whatever lol bioware so gay ARGH EA". "
    And your comment wasn't a crock of shit? I never complained about the game and I even said I was enjoying my time so far. I think it's a pretty valid question to ask if there's a bigger picture when I haven't really seen one after playing a game for 18 hours. If you're just trolling forums to bitch about things and add nothing to the discussion please find another site to waste people's time on.
    Avatar image for aperturesilence
    ApertureSilence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#28  Edited By ApertureSilence
    @Harmonican said:
    " Why must every game be about saving the world for people to be satisfied? You would think trying to get by and maybe save a city would be enough for once. The Origins story was so generic and boring in comparison. I just don't get it.   *edit: And it's not like nothing goes on in DAII. Shit certainly hits the fan in the end, it's just that you as a player don't have direct control over everything that happens. You are just in the middle of it. "
    This. I too thought the DA2 story was a refreshing change of pace from most RPG plots. Really like the biography aspect of it, just trying to make my way in the world kind of thing.
    myslead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By myslead
    @Prodstep said:
    " This game's strength is definately not the main plot, come to think of it does it even have a main plot?  "
    you are the main plot...
    Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Fallen189
    @Hunkulese said:
    " @Fallen189 said:
    " @Tennmuerti said:
    " @zoner said:

Too true.

@Fallen189 said:

That's such a crock of shit and you know it is. Every thread is divulging into elitists saying how "Oh it's a terrible game so whatever lol bioware so gay ARGH EA". "
    And your comment wasn't a crock of shit? I never complained about the game and I even said I was enjoying my time so far. I think it's a pretty valid question to ask if there's a bigger picture when I haven't really seen one after playing a game for 18 hours. If you're just trolling forums to bitch about things and add nothing to the discussion please find another site to waste people's time on. "
    Keep using that word, I don't think you know what it means
    kitsune_conundrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

you know what, reading through this thread got me thinking. the main plot of dragon age 2 plays out really similarly to Forrest Gump. Think about it.

azrailx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By azrailx

planescape torment was about you and it has the best rpg story period 

da2 story sucks donkey dick

Edwardryu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Edwardryu

the main problem in this game is just staying to focus on damn Kirkwall. you can't ever get out of the city 95%. everything is happened in this small city. it's not open world neither. you are stuck in one fucking place. it is not even given various different things to enjoy unlikely AC brotherhood which has a one big city of Rome. but it offers very different types & people, architecture, and so on. it's very open world as well. you can explore whenever directions you want. for DA 2, it's not.  
    deep roads? it's like a picnic when you get bored. 

dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#34  Edited By dtat

The entire game feels like a prologue to the real game. It's not terrible, but it makes me hope that Dragon Age 3 will be larger in scope.

JohnnyMcmillen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By JohnnyMcmillen

Game lacks a main plot entirely, it just lingers around, Act 1 is not linked to anything about from a couple of lines at the end game, Act 2 is certainly not linked to any bigger picture story. The game is completely linear, the epilogue is the same whatever you 'choose', this is by far, the worst and most underwhelming story bioware has ever released. Act 3 is the only thing that even relates to a bigger problem, and that's the shortest and there's no choice what so ever in it. 

So many improvements in this game, but so many more faults than DA:O.

azrailx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By azrailx

^ name one improvment other than graphics and preformance

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#37  Edited By Red

It's your rise to power--there isn't really a main plot, yes. It feels more structured like a TV show than a film, but I did find the ending severely lacking in any sort of closure.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#38  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I would consider the main plot to be: This is the story of the Champion, and here's the reasons why the ending happened the way it did. Yeah, it's not the most prevalent thing, but could that be said for any Bioware game? Bioware's greatest strength isn't its main storylines, which usually involve some sort of ancient evil and an excuse for you to visit different areas in nonlinear order, but more about the vignettes you experience upon the way. If anything, Dragon Age II has more of a main story than Mass Effect 2's kind of contrived excuse for you to recruit all these characters with a few plot-hole filled segments to tie it into the fiction as a whole. Even back to Baldur's Gate and BG II it wasn't really about the main story.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#39  Edited By Turambar
    @azrailx said:
    " ^ name one improvment other than graphics and preformance "
    Combat is not as boring looking.  Characters are not as generic.  Dialogue is better.
    Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#40  Edited By Skald

Would it really be that much better if it was another "good guy saves the world" game? 

This story, though not without fault, is at least somewhat more personal.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Turambar
    @ArbitraryWater said:

" I would consider the main plot to be: This is the story of the Champion, and here's the reasons why the ending happened the way it did. Yeah, it's not the most prevalent thing, but could that be said for any Bioware game? Bioware's greatest strength isn't its main storylines, which usually involve some sort of ancient evil and an excuse for you to visit different areas in nonlinear order, but more about the vignettes you experience upon the way. If anything, Dragon Age II has more of a main story than Mass Effect 2's kind of contrived excuse for you to recruit all these characters with a few plot-hole filled segments to tie it into the fiction as a whole. Even back to Baldur's Gate and BG II it wasn't really about the main story. "

Its not so much the poor quality of the story, but rather a general lack of a driving force to make you feel compelled to move forward.  Ancient evil out to destroy the world and you have to stop it is pretty generic, but effective in giving the characters motivation.  DAII lacks that in terms of overall plot, and Hawke's rise to power feels like a journey with no real goal.
    azrailx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By azrailx
    @Turambar: combat does LOOK better, but does not actaully work better, characters are no better (no character near as good as oghren), and the dialogue is not only not better (wheel leads to shitty generic answers) there is also much much less of it 

and again personal does not equal good if that story still is lame
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By MikkaQ

I myself like it when you're not saving the damn world yet again. I've done this in roughly... 1,000,000 RPGs, just an estimate, but it can't be far off! 

It's refreshing to see a storyline just focus on some person's rise to power which is kinda cool in a way. Makes the story more personal, the characters more relatable. No one knows a world saving goody two-shoes types, but we can all identify with trying to raise our lot in life a bit.  

Mind you I haven't played this yet, so I don't know if you end up doing all those world saving shenanigans but from what I've seen, it looks to be an interesting story at least. 

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Turambar
    @azrailx said:
    " @Turambar: combat does LOOK better, but does not actaully work better, characters are no better (no character near as good as oghren), and the dialogue is not only not better (wheel leads to shitty generic answers) there is also much much less of it   and again personal does not equal good if that story still is lame "
    Oghren was incredibly generic and shallow, everyone in DAII was better than him.  I don't play these games for "the depth of the combat", so making that portion of the game not cause me to fall asleep was a pretty big plus.  Actual plot quality in DA:O was dull and predictable as all hell.
    02sfraser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By 02sfraser

I liked how it was drawn away from the story of the first. It tells a fresh new story that I'm guessing it is all going to come together eventually.

Harmonican

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#46  Edited By Harmonican
    @azrailx: No hate or anything, I just think it's interesting how different people are, because I hold Oghren as one of the worst Bioware characters ever. No wonder we see things differently about the characters in DAII.
    myslead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By myslead
    @Dtat said:
    " The entire game feels like a prologue to the real game. It's not terrible, but it makes me hope that Dragon Age 3 will be larger in scope. "
    exactly 

this feels like an origin story... but for a premade character. 
    it's a complete reboot of the game so it seems.
    Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Turambar
    @XII_Sniper said:

" I myself like it when you're not saving the damn world yet again. I've done this in roughly... 1,000,000 RPGs, just an estimate, but it can't be far off!  It's refreshing to see a storyline just focus on some person's rise to power which is kinda cool in a way. Makes the story more personal, the characters more relatable. No one knows a world saving goody two-shoes types, but we can all identify with trying to raise our lot in life a bit.   Mind you I haven't played this yet, so I don't know if you end up doing all those world saving shenanigans but from what I've seen, it looks to be an interesting story at least.  "

If that was the case, making the game end with the events of Act 3 would have worked far better.  While what the game tries to do with the plot is refreshing compared to the usual generic Bioware fare, it comes off feeling disjointed.  The events of acts 2 and 3 are suppose to set up the foundation for why Hawke has so much influence in act 4, as well as why the old lady with the sword is insane.  But they steal focus, and the side quests showing the mage/templar tension feel like mere sidequests in the face of all that, instead of linked together like they should to foreshadow the climax.
    JohnnyMcmillen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By JohnnyMcmillen
    @azrailx said:
    " ^ name one improvment other than graphics and preformance "

It tells you when companions have new dialogue and doesn't make you check constantly,
    IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By IBurningStar
    @ArbitraryWater said:
    " I would consider the main plot to be: This is the story of the Champion, and here's the reasons why the ending happened the way it did. Yeah, it's not the most prevalent thing, but could that be said for any Bioware game? Bioware's greatest strength isn't its main storylines, which usually involve some sort of ancient evil and an excuse for you to visit different areas in nonlinear order, but more about the vignettes you experience upon the way. If anything, Dragon Age II has more of a main story than Mass Effect 2's kind of contrived excuse for you to recruit all these characters with a few plot-hole filled segments to tie it into the fiction as a whole. Even back to Baldur's Gate and BG II it wasn't really about the main story. "

I think the main difference here is that ME2 and BG2 both sort of gave you a sense of direction at the start of the game, and you had a rough idea of what the main plot line was. After a couple of hours ME2 turned into a game where you spent most your time either doing missions to recruit team members, or doing something that expands on the back story and character of a team member. Almost the same thing with BG2. However, while doing all of that, you also had long term goals in mind. You were getting these people for a specific purpose to eventually go and do this one thing. The fact that DA2 decides not to go this route might cause some people to perceive the game as not really having any set focus. It just seems like a series of awkwardly connected side quests to them.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.