Dragon Age II: Exalted March - Canned

  • 76 results
  • 1
  • 2
#51 Posted by NakAttack (1292 posts) -

@zudthespud said:

@Brodehouse said:

People are pissed off that they make DLC for Dragon Age 2. People are pissed off that they aren't making DLC for Dragon Age 2. People are pissed off that they're making Dragon Age 3. What would make you fucking people happy? If they shuttered the studio and never made another fucking game? That's about the only thing I can think of that won't generate more Goddamn fucking bitching. When I was a younger man, I wanted to make video games but now I know the audience who buys them would turn me into an ax murderer.

Nobody is ever happy. Tune out the bitching and listen to reviewers.

Word

#52 Posted by Funkydupe (3321 posts) -

@Mr_Skeleton: That's cool, I guess. I'm oddly interested in knowing how that game will be designed. More like Dragon Age: Origins, more actiony like DA II or nothing like either of them.

#53 Posted by Demoskinos (15180 posts) -

They canned it because they want to focus on Dragon Age 3. At this point I'd rather them do exactly that.

#54 Posted by ArbitraryWater (12134 posts) -

Dragon Age II was a mess, but it was a mess I liked all the way up to the terrible conclusion dammit!

That being said, I am totally fine with this. I'd rather they move onto Dragon Age III and people start talking about how that game is going to be the worst shit that was shit out by the shit corporation Bioware, que 20 page threads about how terrible everything is.

#55 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7184 posts) -

Maybe they are saving up their ideas and efforts for Dragon Age 3, a game that hopefully will be a lot more like Dragon Age: Origins.

#56 Posted by BawlZINmotion (714 posts) -

There is too much negative stigma associated with Dragon Age II to bother spending money developing an expansion to a game not well received by the people who would likely buy a product such as that. It would be cool if they'd shorten it to a closure DLC, maybe Bioware will do a final send off. It makes a lot more business sense to just put resources behind the next whole product instead. I know people love to drag out the "money!" line, but really, this is a business. If you spend more than you make, you got out of business. Plain and simple. The cost required to make content for a game with a negative image is a huge investment risk.

#57 Posted by Jimbo (10008 posts) -

It's the right call.  The setting still has potential, but they should just move on from Hawke.  Trying to carry on from DA2 would be a mistake I think because they just lost too many people with it.  Start with a new storyline (so everybody can jump back in), make a self-contained game that has a start, middle and end, remember that Dragon Age and Mass Effect are supposed to be different franchises... then they have a shot at turning it around.  They don't need to make a continuing franchise or a trilogy or anything like that, just make each game work as its own thing within the universe.
 
As much as they'll desperately want to make the 'III' in 'Dragon Age III' look like dragon claw marks, I think they should resist the urge and call it 'Dragon Age: Something' instead.  People need to know they can get back on board with this game.

#58 Posted by mandude (2666 posts) -

Hopefully they're much more careful with Dragon Age III.

#59 Posted by chrissedoff (2167 posts) -

@Jimbo: I agree with you completely. I had fun with Dragon Age II, but there is absolutely nothing about its story, setting or characters that bears revisiting in future installments.

#60 Posted by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

A fitting punishment.

#61 Posted by babblinmule (1262 posts) -

I don't mind them skipping an expansion if it means they devote more time to Dragon Age 3. Do feel sorry for Bioware now though, they could cure cancer, and people would scream at them and throw their toys out of the pram because they didn't end world hunger instead.

#62 Posted by JazGalaxy (1576 posts) -

@AndrewB said:

@UltorOscariot: The good news is that, over time, they seem to be recognizing it more and more as a misstep and not trying to make excuses for it. The quote was (according to Joystiq): "This past year, we've spent a lot of time both going back to the 'BioWare vault' of games and re-examining them, and looking at some new possibilities that today's industry allows." Let's hope the re-examine the first game in the franchise they seem baffled with, because I hear that Origins was a pretty good game.

Psst!... for the record, Dragon Age 2 is not the irredeemable piece of shit people hyperbolize, but I'm still happy to see them focus their efforts on a new game.

I think that, not having played it, hwat makes me mad about Dragon Age II is that, before they released it, they went on this smarmy campaign to tell everyone who played Dragon Age I all the stuff that the player might have THOUGHT they enjoyed, but really didn't. Oh all those extra graphic assets? YOu didn't really pay attention to those. We found a way to reuse assets over and over again to save YOU, the player, time and effort! You liked making a character? No you didn't. We can make one for you that's better htan what you created. YOu want to have your own adventure? No you don't. We're going to tell the whole story in Flashback so the whole adventure already happened. You're just along for the ride.

It was a bad idea before it started and everyone knew it but Bioware. The idea that they even attempt to suggest that they don't know why DAII failed is insulting.

#63 Posted by UlquioKani (1205 posts) -

@JazGalaxy said:

@AndrewB said:

@UltorOscariot: The good news is that, over time, they seem to be recognizing it more and more as a misstep and not trying to make excuses for it. The quote was (according to Joystiq): "This past year, we've spent a lot of time both going back to the 'BioWare vault' of games and re-examining them, and looking at some new possibilities that today's industry allows." Let's hope the re-examine the first game in the franchise they seem baffled with, because I hear that Origins was a pretty good game.

Psst!... for the record, Dragon Age 2 is not the irredeemable piece of shit people hyperbolize, but I'm still happy to see them focus their efforts on a new game.

I think that, not having played it, hwat makes me mad about Dragon Age II is that, before they released it, they went on this smarmy campaign to tell everyone who played Dragon Age I all the stuff that the player might have THOUGHT they enjoyed, but really didn't. Oh all those extra graphic assets? YOu didn't really pay attention to those. We found a way to reuse assets over and over again to save YOU, the player, time and effort! You liked making a character? No you didn't. We can make one for you that's better htan what you created. YOu want to have your own adventure? No you don't. We're going to tell the whole story in Flashback so the whole adventure already happened. You're just along for the ride.

It was a bad idea before it started and everyone knew it but Bioware. The idea that they even attempt to suggest that they don't know why DAII failed is insulting.

They tried to tell a different type of story. There was nothing wrong with that. You can still make a character. You can still have your own adventure. These were not the problems with the game.

I'm glad they are working on DA3, I can't wait. I really enjoyed the previous 2 and the style of story telling that they do so I'm on board.

Online
#64 Posted by ahgunsillyo (458 posts) -
@NekuSakuraba

Maybe they are saving up their ideas and efforts for Dragon Age 3, a game that hopefully will be a lot more like Dragon Age: Origins.

I went to the Dragon Age panel at last year's PAX Prime, and from what I can remember, they intend to make the scale of the world/story in Dragon Age III on par with, if not greater than, that of Origins. They wanted to use Dragon Age II to set up the larger, land-spanning conflict that would be featured in III.

That's what I remember, at least. Could be wrong. I liked Dragon Age II for the most part (and I also really like Mass Effect 3), so I'm excited to see what Bioware comes up with.
#65 Posted by emergency (1190 posts) -

@ahaisthisourchance said:

A fitting punishment.

Off with it's 'ead!

#66 Posted by Viking_Funeral (1917 posts) -

@Brodehouse:

Group A dislikes X.

Group B dislikes Y. This is in direct contrast to Group A.

Group C dislikes Z. This group may or may not be made up of parts of Groups A & B.

You dislike all these people. Apparently you would like no opinions on Dragon Age II. This puts you in some weird meta-textual group that that is annoyed by the annoyance of others, yet for some reason does not wish to simply ignore these groups.

The important thing, though, is you let us all know.

#67 Posted by Yummylee (22579 posts) -

If those bastards cut me off from creating a Dwarven main character in DA3... I will be very very upset.

I am curious as to who the next MC will be. They've stated multiple times now that DA is meant to centre around the world and the setting rather than a specific cast, so DA3 is assured to have a new character. I'm curious to know if we'll get a voiced character again. To keep up with the times, and to follow the consistency with DA2, I'd imagine as such, but I really don't want them to confine our character with the limitations of a voiced MC. They at the very least can't saddle us with another human main character... that's always the worst. You have these huge, expansive fictional worlds filled with multiple sorts of species, races, cultures, and you're stuck playing as another one of you. It makes some sense for a first entry, since everything is new and you yourself are only just getting your bearings. It can be symbiotic almost to follow your MC and be as confused as s/he is with all the other crazy stuff you'll encounter. But the DA-verse is well established now, so allowing us to have some added perspective towards the going ons by playing as a different race (again) would be fantastic.

I would love if they could somehow undertake the idea of having the same options as Origins, male/female human, elf and dwarf, with a voice for each of the 6 variables. It's maddening to even imagine the amount of recorded dialogue required, but it'd be a fantastic way to get the fans back in their good graces and it'd be a revolutionary step-up for western RPGs in general. Or maybe they revert back to the way of Origins, which I also wouldn't mind. I just really don't want to return to Thedas as a human. Y'know what, put me in the boots of a Qunari! They've only just become one of the most fascinating aspects of the world thanks to DA2, and it'd be mighty ballsy of them to force your character to be some huge, hulking demon.

#68 Posted by Brodehouse (10138 posts) -

@Paul_Is_Drunk said:

@Brodehouse:

Group A dislikes X.

Group B dislikes Y. This is in direct contrast to Group A.

Group C dislikes Z. This group may or may not be made up of parts of Groups A & B.

You dislike all these people. Apparently you would like no opinions on Dragon Age II. This puts you in some weird meta-textual group that that is annoyed by the annoyance of others, yet for some reason does not wish to simply ignore these groups.

The important thing, though, is you let us all know.

Keep in mind, no one has actually played X through Z. No one has actually any information whatsoever to judge any of these products. I could invent a theoretical W or V and they would hate it too. There is no action that can be taken that does not lead to anger and rage. You can be snarky if you want, but that's not going to change the solid truth that getting angry over things that don't exist is something better suited to deranged homeless people.

@Abyssfull: Qunari aren't allowed choice at any point in their lives. If they thought Dragon Age was linear before..!

#69 Posted by Rohok (554 posts) -

It'd be nice if Bioware stopped making games after the disappointments that were DA2 and ME3, yes. I would welcome that.

#70 Edited by Yummylee (22579 posts) -

@Brodehouse: I envision that you'd play as a ''special'' Quanari, though. You'd be one of, if not the first, who are breaking away from the Qun and setting your own path in life. That sort of deal. Or it would at least be a major plot point; you'd be apart of the Qun during the tutorial, and then 'something' and bam, you're off to sail the sevens seas and scale mountains and have inter-racial mannequin sex!

EDIT: Also, weren't there Quanari who did break away from the Qun in DA2? I definitely recall something like that on the mountainside. Plus there was that mercenary Qunari I definitely remember correctly because I was hoping he could become a party member.

#71 Posted by Tarsier (1078 posts) -

dragon age 2 was such a great sadness :( please bioware never again and please just remove it from the collective memory

#72 Posted by Enigma777 (6059 posts) -

@Rohok said:

It'd be nice if Bioware stopped making games after the disappointments that were DA2 and ME3, yes. I would welcome that.

Or you can, you know, not buy them? I for one can't wait for the next DA or ME after the masterpieces that were DA2 and ME3.

#73 Posted by overjoyedpants (75 posts) -

i am excited at the idea of dragon age 3, however, it is not a day one purchase for me anymore. i hated dragon age 2, from the combat system, to the mass effect style conversation system (i loved the mass effect series, mind you), to the dungeons. that game was a huge disappointment for me. i was still on board with bioware, and, in fact, loved the old republic. i even loved mass effect 3, right up until the last 10 minutes. just because i hate the end of me3, and everything about da2 doesnt mean i hate bioware. they just arent the sure thing they used to be, for me anyway.

#74 Edited by Skald (4370 posts) -

@ArbitraryWater said:

Dragon Age II was a mess, but it was a mess I liked all the way up to the terrible conclusion dammit!

That being said, I am totally fine with this. I'd rather they move onto Dragon Age III and people start talking about how that game is going to be the worst shit that was shit out by the shit corporation Bioware, que 20 page threads about how terrible everything is.

I agree. It was too cheap and flashy for an RPG, but that suited me just fine up until the last act. The last act was terrible, as a game, as a story, and as a sequel to the original Dragon Age.

And, y'know, if they put the DLC out, everyone would be bitching anyway.

#75 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

@Enigma777 said:

I for one can't wait for the next DA or ME after the masterpieces that were DA2 and ME3.

This coming from the guy that earlier was ragging on my enjoyment of Other M. (Also, just so you know, that's low-hanging fruit you went after, Hitlerchu. :P)

At this point, I'm really not sure what to expect of Dragon Age III. The series could be suffering from an identity crisis when the third game has to try to please two wildly different camps. I know I want more DAO than DA2 in the next one, simply because everything about DA2 was a major turn-off for me. If Dragon Age III has more DA2 than DAO, I'm done with the series, because the sequels were not what I wanted after enjoying DAO so much.

#76 Edited by Enigma777 (6059 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@Enigma777 said:

I for one can't wait for the next DA or ME after the masterpieces that were DA2 and ME3.

This coming from the guy that earlier was ragging on my enjoyment of Other M. (Also, just so you know, that's low-hanging fruit you went after, Hitlerchu. :P)

At this point, I'm really not sure what to expect of Dragon Age III. The series could be suffering from an identity crisis when the third game has to try to please two wildly different camps. I know I want more DAO than DA2 in the next one, simply because everything about DA2 was a major turn-off for me. If Dragon Age III has more DA2 than DAO, I'm done with the series, because the sequels were not what I wanted after enjoying DAO so much.

No, the low-hanging fruit would have been Dynasty Warriors. :)

And while I agree that calling DA2 a masterpiece is a stretch of the imagination, it still has some simply spectacular moments (like your mom dying) and fixed a lot of what was wrong with Origins (though some might argue that it fixed too much). As far as DA3 goes, I think it'll be a happy medium between 1 & 2 since that's the route most gaming "trilogies" follow.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.