Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age II

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Mar 08, 2011

This sequel to Dragon Age: Origins features faster combat, a new art style, and a brand new, fully voiced main character named Hawke.

Dragon Age II similarities to modern nations

perfectchaos57

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By perfectchaos57

So I might be completely wrong, but it seems to me that each major country (and associated races) have speech and in some cases cultural similarities to modern nations. Fereldan / Free Marches = Britain, Antiva = Italy, Orlais = France, Elves = Druidic Irish, Dwarves = America. So who would be the Qunari equivalent?

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By vaiz

I believe the Qunari were meant to quite blatantly be an analogue to militant Islam, so perhaps Iraq? Afghanistan? Take your pick.

NakAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By NakAttack

I can't look at dragon age the same anymore. Thanks.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By kingzetta
    @perfectchaos57 said:
    " So I might be completely wrong, but it seems to me that each major country (and associated races) have speech and in some cases cultural similarities to modern nations. Fereldan / Free Marches = Britain, Antiva = Italy, Orlais = France, Elves = Druidic Irish, Dwarves = America. So who would be the Qunari equivalent? "
    Welcome to a year ago
    applet0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By applet0n
    @perfectchaos57: The elves are meant to be Welsh, I thought. Specifically because of the strong Welsh accents some of them have.
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MrKlorox

Dwarves are American? I don't see it. Perhaps only if you're talking about accents.

Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Aronman789

Antiva is Spain, and Rivain and the Qunari nation is Al-Andalus

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Animasta

Psh, you think THOSE are similarities? check out drakengard's map dudes, and see if it doesn't remind you of anything

No Caption Provided
    chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By chrissedoff
    @punkxblaze said:
    " I believe the Qunari were meant to quite blatantly be an analogue to militant Islam, so perhaps Iraq? Afghanistan? Take your pick. "
    the qunari don't believe in any god, so there really is no analogue for them.
    chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By chrissedoff
    @perfectchaos57: dwarves don't believe in freedom of self-determination, socio-economic mobility or democracy. so, they're kind of the opposite of america.
    npeterson08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By npeterson08
    @chrissedoff said:
    " @perfectchaos57: dwarves don't believe in freedom of self-determination, socio-economic mobility or democracy. so, they're kind of the opposite of america. "
    True, those were beliefs of America. However, they're not exactly true today. Social mobility is becoming increasingly difficult, most people are neither "free" or "self-determining" as they are bound by personal responsibility, (similarly represented by dwarven caste?) and we're more a conformist-consumer nation than democratic.
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @chrissedoff said:

" @punkxblaze said:

" I believe the Qunari were meant to quite blatantly be an analogue to militant Islam, so perhaps Iraq? Afghanistan? Take your pick. "
    the qunari don't believe in any god, so there really is no analogue for them. "
    It's not about belief in a god.
    It's about belief period.
    The blind/pure conviction of their belief and a pre determined social order, as well as strict aherence to the set way of life: Qun/Quran
    Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By Gabriel

Qunari are the Ottaman Empire

Tentiver Imperium is Rome. 
    Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By Getz
    @Gabriel said:
    " Qunari are the Ottaman Empire"
    Yeah, with shades of Nordic nomads.
    Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Getz
    @npeterson08: Social mobility is always tough, it's easier today and in the western world than it ever was though. Plus, Americans still hold all those things as ideals, whether or not they've achieved them is beside the point.
    FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By FourWude

Generic crap is what it is. And reading the stereotypes in this thread from which BioWare based their game on is lol worthy. It's as if they just couldn't be bothered using some imagination.

Oh Bioware, how far you've fallen..... Mass Effect 2 was a bit shit as well.

joshth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By joshth

yeah I agree with all of theses except for elves and dwarves... not quite sure if I could fit the dwarves anywhere.
    FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By FourWude

America = Dwarves.

Short, fat war mongering tribe with a hatred of outsiders. Pretty much bang on the money.

npeterson08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By npeterson08
    @Getz said:
    " @npeterson08: Social mobility is always tough, it's easier today and in the western world than it ever was though. Plus, Americans still hold all those things as ideals, whether or not they've achieved them is beside the point. "
    Social mobility was easier in the early 1900's and has been declining ever since the 1970's. I'm positive most Americans hold democracy in high regard, but it's easier said than done. When it comes to truly being democratic; acting upon fair ethics, morals and values in one's own personal life, most people will argue indignantly that they're at a disadvantage. They see themselves as the victim of society, which constantly encourages them to take personal responsibility for their actions. This prompts them to take no action at all - "those better-off will take my place to uphold democracy."
    valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By valrog
    @Gabriel: Yeah, Tevinter Imperium is most likely based on the Byzantine Empire. I wish that Dragon Age III would be set there, it should be interesting.
    Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Getz
    @npeterson08: You have no idea what you're talking about do you? Your ass seems to though.
    npeterson08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By npeterson08
    @Getz said:
    " @npeterson08: You have no idea what you're talking about do you? Your ass seems to though. "
    It's pretty basic stuff. Sorry you don't follow.
    Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Getz
    @npeterson08: riiiiiiiight. I'm an idiot, so please explain to me why it was easier to improve you standing in the 30's, with less job industries, a shitty economy, and crippling cultural constraints?
    Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#24  Edited By Daveyo520

Well duh

npeterson08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By npeterson08
    @Getz said:

" @npeterson08: riiiiiiiight. I'm an idiot, so please explain to me why it was easier to improve you standing in the 30's, with less job industries, a shitty economy, and crippling cultural constraints? "

Exactly, the 30's! "The Great Depression." Did you know we're currently we're living in "The Great Recession" ? Job industries are declining due to global outsourcing, the economy is terrible (due to many things), and continued racism, cultural constraints, and demonization of the Middle-East proves that our society hasn't changed much - if at all in the last 80-odd years. True, the economy was much worse during the Great Depression, but America was still in a position to recover by investing in manufacturing jobs. These manufacturing jobs provided great opportunities for the working-class to elevate their socio-economic status by working up the ladder, becoming managers, CEO's, and eventually business owners - without the necessity of higher education. Clearly, modern America is not in the same position - but we're facing almostidentical hardships. Specifically during the 1970's, a decline in the real-wage started a trend where the working-class' minimum wage slowed while allowing for economic inflation to continue increasing steadily. Essentially, the decline of the real-wage coupled with America's dependency on outsourced manufacturing is keeping us socially immobile.

Hope that helps!

P.S., I'm not trying to argue or be rude with you; truly!
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Jimbo
    • The Qunari have been nicknamed “militant Islamic Borg” by Lead Writer David Gaider. Gaider later clarified that he meant this as reference to the Qunari's relationship with the other nations of Thedas, not to the specific tenets of Islam.
    • The Qunari are quite likely based partially on the Ottoman Empire and Seljuk Turks, as they are mortal enemies of the Tevinter Imperium, the latter of which has been equated to the Byzantine empire. They possess advanced technology including cannons, are considered heathens by the Chantry and have been the target of multiple Exalted Marches, the Chantry's equivalent to a Christian Crusade.
    • David Gaider has said that Qunari architecture is influenced by Mayan architecture.
    • When a female Qunari is turned into a Broodmother by darkspawn, she produces Ogres.
    • The structure of Qunari society is identical to that of the ideal community outlined in Plato's Republic, which divides the population into Producers (farmers, artisans, laborers, etc.), Auxiliaries (warriors), and Guardians (rulers). In The Republic, Plato (through the voice of the protagonist Socrates) also draws somewhat upon the warrior culture of ancient Sparta when designing the "Auxiliary" class of citizens.
    • There are no female Qunari in either Dragon Age: Origins or Dragon Age II. This is likely due to the Qunari belief that women cannot be warriors.

Source
    _Nuno_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By _Nuno_

America isn't losing it's territorial domain little by little like the dwarves seem to be losing cities... Also, yes social mobility is a major factor in the american way. The rest is all plausible, but I think your trying to interpret things that just aren't really there. When you make a fantasy world It's impossible to make a nation/faction that doesn't resemble some other nation, since there are 200 (or about) real life nations out there (not to mention old empires and extinct nations) and you've got to make them appear coherent in their beliefs and political systems. 

Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#28  Edited By Death_Unicorn

I think you have to put your mind back into the Medieval Ages. As other people have said the Qunari are the Ottoman Empire, while the Tevinter Imperium is the Byzantive Empire. The Anderfels would be the Holy Roman Empire.

SpacePenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By SpacePenguin

I dont really see what the elves would be and to be honest I  think when they first came up with this world it was deffinutly just generic fantisy and then a little bit of stuff was added to make it seem more deep.

RageExpressive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By RageExpressive

Ferelden = Britain
    Orlais = France
    Antiva = Spain/Italy
    Tevinter = Byzantive Empire
    Anderfels = Holy Roman
    Qunari = Communist States (considering your role in the Qun is picked from birth, all males must do military service and its ruled by a Triumvirate)
    And yes, I agree, Dwarves = America

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#31  Edited By Enigma777
    @kingzetta said:
    " @perfectchaos57 said:
    " So I might be completely wrong, but it seems to me that each major country (and associated races) have speech and in some cases cultural similarities to modern nations. Fereldan / Free Marches = Britain, Antiva = Italy, Orlais = France, Elves = Druidic Irish, Dwarves = America. So who would be the Qunari equivalent? "
    Welcome to a year ago "
    More like 3 years ago...
    valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By valrog
    @RageExpressive:  I think it was already cleared that the Qunari are inspired by the Ottoman Empire.
    RageExpressive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By RageExpressive
    @valrog: Just adding my two cents :P
    Cslaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Cslaw
    @perfectchaos57:  there are no real world exact analogues, your trying to compare dwarfs and elves to people, it just wont work. 
    Avatar image for eamonn_j_ohaodha
    eamonn_j_ohaodha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

all power to the Triumivirate

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.