Elf design change

  • 91 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Posted by JeanLuc (3574 posts) -

It seems that the Elves have been changed quite a bit.  
  
As an example I have a picture of Merrill, an minor Dalish elf character from the first game who will be a companion in the second game.  

      Her original design
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
And here is Merrill's new look in Dragon age II  
 Quite a change huh?
  
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

So what do you think of the redesign? I rather like it. It gives the Elves their own look as appose to the first game where they just looks like shorter humans with pointy ears.
#2 Posted by christ0phe (952 posts) -

Her boobs look weird

#3 Posted by JeanLuc (3574 posts) -
@christ0phe: Really? Thats the first thing you notice? 
 
Damn it! Now that you said it I'm seeing it to!
#4 Posted by BlueStriped (99 posts) -

What has been seen cannot be unseen XD.

#5 Posted by christ0phe (952 posts) -
@wasteguru: Wasn't the first thing I noticed, but it was the only thing worth mentioning
#6 Posted by luce (4045 posts) -

Any one of her boobs is bigger than her whole head

#7 Posted by JeanLuc (3574 posts) -

13 minutes in and already this thread is off topic. Does anyone actually have an opinion on the redesigned elf look?

#8 Posted by Arbie (1449 posts) -

I'm not sure why but to me it looks like a step back rather than a step forward. I can see what you mean about it making them look more elfish though...which may actually be a step forward. Okay this confuses me.  And oh yeah they do look weird!

#9 Posted by Undeadpool (4913 posts) -

As long as they nail the hands better, I'm kinda fine with any weirdness. In the first game, all the character models had these enormous man hands, including the women. It was...off-putting at times.

#10 Posted by Klei (1768 posts) -

Ugh. I hate elves. 
 
They're like, the worst uninspired race that's been ripped off Tolkien's pages way too often.

#11 Posted by Vorbis (2749 posts) -

It looks like a child, I dread to think of the romancing options.

#12 Posted by warxsnake (2639 posts) -

She looks fine I guess, compared to the other crap I saw in their latest dev diary video. I'm really not liking the low texture density almost-cartoon anime art style behind  Dragon Ball Age 2. Is this part of having it appeal to a larger audience? 
It looks like they took The Old Republic formula of artwork and texture work and did that to this. 

#13 Posted by endaround (2140 posts) -
@warxsnake: Nope, its so they can get it on consoles.  As much as they talk about making it "unique" its all about cutting the number of textures per character.
#14 Posted by niamahai (1405 posts) -
@Erzs said:
" I'm not sure why but to me it looks like a step back rather than a step forward. I can see what you mean about it making them look more elfish though...which may actually be a step forward. Okay this confuses me.  And oh yeah they do look weird! "
they did the 'stylized' look so that can get away from rendering the character too life like.
 
one might call it a step backwards for 'GRAPHIC SO GOOD IT IS FUCKING YOUR EYEHOLE"
i call it a step forward to 
1. Give the game a distinctive look  so that people will go "YO THAT FUCKING DRAGON AGE!"
2.maintain a consistent framerate for the consoles.
 
Assassin Creed also did the same thing. Go back to AC1 and notice how the character don't have a cartoony look like AC2 and ACB.
 
*cue cries of console destroying game development*
#15 Posted by canucks23 (1087 posts) -
@endaround said:
" @warxsnake: Nope, its so they can get it on consoles.  As much as they talk about making it "unique" its all about cutting the number of textures per character. "
The first DA was on consoles, and it didn't as bad as this is looking.
#16 Posted by endaround (2140 posts) -
@canucks23 said:
" @endaround said:
" @warxsnake: Nope, its so they can get it on consoles.  As much as they talk about making it "unique" its all about cutting the number of textures per character. "
The first DA was on consoles, and it didn't as bad as this is looking. "
Yes but the textures in the background looked like crap and it was seriously a constraint on the number of characters they could have on screen at one time. 
#17 Posted by MikeFightNight (1088 posts) -

That has got to be a bad picture.  I liked the first dragon age and have 2 on pre-order but have not been keeping up with all the media around it. 
 
If I never played the first one and you showed me those two pictures and asked me to chose which is from the sequel I would chose the first.

#18 Posted by General_D23 (1201 posts) -

They did redesigns for all races, not just elves. To make them more distinct, supposedly.
 

#19 Posted by JeanLuc (3574 posts) -
@MikeFightNight said:
" That has got to be a bad picture.  I liked the first dragon age and have 2 on pre-order but have not been keeping up with all the media around it.  If I never played the first one and you showed me those two pictures and asked me to chose which is from the sequel I would chose the first. "
The picture is a freeze frame from a video so the quality is not very good.
#20 Posted by Enigma777 (6057 posts) -
@General_D23 said:
" They did redesigns for all races, not just elves. To make them more distinct, supposedly.
 

"
Those fools! Dwarf females are supposed to have beards goddammit! 
#21 Posted by IEK (38 posts) -

i hope this design change is specific to this character, not too keen on them all looking like children...

#22 Posted by warxsnake (2639 posts) -
@Tarsier said:
" yea that character looks retarded , proportions are fucked "
Her neck is as long as her head
#23 Posted by Scrawnto (2436 posts) -
@Enigma777: Some of the male dwarves in DA didn't have beards, so that's not really news. 
 
I think the idea of redesigning the races to make them more distinct is pretty good. It's good to be able to get information about a character or opponent quickly. Distinct silhouettes are good for that, as Team Fortress 2 has shown. I'll have to see if I like the implementation of that idea in this case. It's hard to judge from such a screen cap.
#24 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

I don't like the way Dragon Age 2 looks. 

#25 Posted by Enigma777 (6057 posts) -
@Scrawnto: I'm aware since none of the female dwarfs in the first game had any either, but I figured they would have brushed up on their Tolkienism for the sequel.
#26 Posted by Vorbis (2749 posts) -
@Enigma777 said:
Those fools! Dwarf females are supposed to have beards goddammit!  "
As a Dwarf purist, I agree.
#27 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -
As someone who has seen the game live and actually played it, it looks and more importantly runs a hell of a lot better. To the ass saying it's because of consoles, thats bullshit. There are plenty of amazing looking console games, and there are some unreleased games that will almost certainly be raising the bar.
#28 Posted by StarvingGamer (8043 posts) -

Better than just being humans with pointy ears I suppose. I agree with the general thrust of Bioware's philosophy behind the change.

#29 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

Looks like anime now >:-\

#30 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -
@MordeaniisChaos said:
" As someone who has seen the game live and actually played it, it looks and more importantly runs a hell of a lot better. To the ass saying it's because of consoles, thats bullshit. There are plenty of amazing looking console games, and there are some unreleased games that will almost certainly be raising the bar. "
They're on record as saying they wanted the sequel to be a more console oriented experience. So chill out, kid. It came from your lord and saviors at Bioware themselves.
#31 Posted by Deusoma (3001 posts) -
@General_D23 said:
" They did redesigns for all races, not just elves. To make them more distinct, supposedly.
 

"
Whoa. I don't remember the Draenei being in Dragon Age 1.
#32 Posted by Dustpan (1691 posts) -

Looks like what Dragon Age should have originally looked like.

#33 Posted by damswedon (3175 posts) -
@JustTheDoctor said:
" Looks like what Dragon Age should have originally looked like. "
Yeah Dragon Age had a real problem with all the races looking too similar.
#34 Posted by DystopiaX (5296 posts) -

Looks basically the same, but with a messed up face and oddly huge tits.

#35 Posted by Green_Incarnate (1788 posts) -

At least the Qunari don't look like dudes in white dreads anymore.

#36 Posted by Driadon (2995 posts) -

I don't like it, too cartoony. One of the reasons why I enjoyed Dragon Age's art style was that it was very much a dark fantasy, where as this looks like it could have been ripped directly from the Fable games.

#37 Posted by DougQuaid (1274 posts) -
@damswedon said:
" @JustTheDoctor said:
" Looks like what Dragon Age should have originally looked like. "
Yeah Dragon Age had a real problem with all the races looking too similar. "
@Green_Incarnate said:
" At least the Qunari don't look like dudes in white dreads anymore. "
All of this!
#38 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

What, those horned dudes are Qunari? So being a Qunari ranges from having dark skin and white hair to sprouting mufucking horns?

#39 Posted by Aether (94 posts) -
@ryanwho said:
" What, those horned dudes are Qunari? So being a Qunari ranges from having dark skin and white hair to sprouting mufucking horns? "
This. 
 
WTF? If you bring Sten to the Brecilian Forest he has some dialogue about different Qunari. He doesn't talk much about them but i guess this could be them. He says some negative shit about them and i think that they are more murderers or some shit other then a whole different looking race.
 
Regardless, i hope its just a sentient darkspawn race or something. Or perhaps a mutation from it being from a different region.
 
Or Drainei....cuz fuck it, why not?
#40 Posted by Wunder_ (1168 posts) -

Awesome - good to see that hopefully in the character creation you can actually make happy looking people instead of either depressed/angry people.

#41 Posted by Aether (94 posts) -
@Wunder_ said:
" Awesome - good to see that hopefully in the character creation you can actually make happy looking people instead of either depressed/angry people. "
There wasn't much going on to be happy about in Dragon Age. All of the origins were pretty big bummers then there is the whole massacres of people and general betrayal and essentially regicide.
 
They smiled when they were boning though!
#42 Posted by Wunder_ (1168 posts) -
@Aether:  Same with Mass Effect - that didn't stop them being happy in Space! Although, I still used default Shepard. :<
#43 Edited by damswedon (3175 posts) -

I like the look of the new Qunari and hey it justifies how they end up becoming Ogres when they transform into a broodmother.

#44 Posted by 02sfraser (847 posts) -

I think it's better. They look less human and defines them as elves more.

#45 Posted by damswedon (3175 posts) -

There is speculation on the Dragon Age Wikia that the lighting might of had some impact on her, so someone made this image to have a guess at what she looks like in normal lighting. 

 Left: edited, Middle: original, Right: Origins
#46 Edited by MEATBALL (3099 posts) -

I quite like DA2's new look to be perfectly honest, it seems I'm one of the few, that's a shame. I think they've done a good job moving it away from the horridly generic and completely unremarkable look of the first game (outside of some of the creature designs). It looks very clean and bold. I'm sure all that just makes me a sycophant with the intelligence of a fly, though.
 
I always disliked the look of the elves in the first game, from what I've seen they look better in in DA2. Lest they had have done something drastically different Elves are Elves, though, it's hard to get excited about them.
 
As for the Qunari, I like the new design, but it's always weird when a drastic change like that is made to an existing design. The nice thing about Bioware though is that they go to significant lengths to justify such things in the fiction. I guess you'll either find it contrived or clever, at least they're not ones to lazily say 'Oh, by the way, Qunari have horns now. Deal.'

#47 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -

The original elves looked like just Humans with pointy ears, so I'm fine with this. 
 
Breasts seemed out of proportion though.

#48 Posted by Brodehouse (9654 posts) -

They always wanted qunari to have horns, they just couldn't get it to render helmets properly, and eventually scrapped it.
 
I really don't like the new design, because it's pushing the races closer towards the typical than the original.  The original part of Dragon Ages three races was how they didn't conform to the old stereotypes.  The elves lived in poverty, and the dwarves had American accents and usually didn't have beards.

#49 Posted by Cerogravian (344 posts) -

It's interesting, the new design of the elves looks like my mental image of them does. At first I was almost sure that the picture from Origins were supposed to be the new design. I guess that's a good review then...

#50 Posted by General_D23 (1201 posts) -
@MEATBALL said:
"As for the Qunari, I like the new design, but it's always weird when a drastic change like that is made to an existing design. The nice thing about Bioware though is that they go to significant lengths to justify such things in the fiction. I guess you'll either find it contrived or clever, at least they're not ones to lazily say 'Oh, by the way, Qunari have horns now. Deal.' "

The official word on the qunari, if I remember correctly, is that those born without horns are usually treated special and given unique roles, such as Sten and his comrades. Exiles or traitors willingly saw off their horns, for whatever reason.
 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.