Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age II

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Mar 08, 2011

This sequel to Dragon Age: Origins features faster combat, a new art style, and a brand new, fully voiced main character named Hawke.

Rate your Dragon Age 2 experience

• 96 results
    FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By FritzDude
    luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By luce

A better console experience than the first Dragon Age with tons of content.

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By FritzDude

I am curious to see what the GB community thinks of this game. If you haven't played it, please dont vote... Like that will happen, but anyways, it seems this game got a lot of shitstorm on the Bio community. What do you all guys here think?

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

D. 

I hope they don't make another game like this, but I do hope they take all the good parts and put them to good use in ME3/DA3. 
    Too much silly sidequests happening, have no clue what I'm doing and for who or why. But hey stabbing fools is still fun so far.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Enigma777

It runs better and it looks better, but I can't say I'm having as much fun as I did in Origins. Then again I'm only 10 hours in so it could get better, but I'm really confused right now as to what is happening in the story...

Avatar image for theseductivemoose
    TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By TheSeductiveMoose

I think it's fine.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Turambar

It suffers from limited scope in terms of the setting of the game, but the vast scope in terms of how much time passes was a good way to design the story.  The characters were more interesting this time around, far better than the generic ones from DA:O, and the combat is flashier, which makes it easier for me to bare.  (Not a jab against DAII's combat.  DA:O combat was pretty dull for me and making things flashier and faster was a small help.)

The biggest problem remains that the game has the ME1 syndrome of having the exact same set of layouts for all the dungeons you traverse.  While some can be contrived away by being the exact same areas you are exploring, just in different years, the fact that the Bartrand mansion, the Fenris mansion, and the Blooming Rose all have the exact same layout is inexcusable.  And that's just one example.  This one thing caused my enjoyment of the game to suffer more than anything else.

Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By Cornman89

User review forthcoming.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9  Edited By Seppli

Other than the story lacking forcus in chapter 1 and the lack of a command queue, I thinks it's great. 4 stars. Minus 1 star for dated tech, as well as the other points I mentioned. Far from being done with it though - depending if there's gonna be a climax finale like ME2's suicide mission or ME1's reaper attack, I might upgrade to 5 stars.

I usually end up doing 2-3 playthroughs over the span of 2-3 years. At least that's how it was for Baldur's Gate 2 and Mass Effect 1 & 2, as well as Dragon Age : Origins.

dragonzord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By dragonzord

Feels like a cash-in.

Quacktastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Quacktastic

I started doing every quest I could before I earn 50 gold to go into the Deep Roads - that was like 25 hours ago and I still haven't gone.  The content is there but the pacing is weird and I can't be sure if it's the game or me doing it to myself, but I'm just now close to 50 gold.  The dungeon repetition is awful.

I'm still in the first year, and everything could change after time moves forward but even if It did - I don't think I would want to replay what's happened so far.

And I hate how instead of spawning all of the enemies at once, they spawn them in waves - which makes stuff like placing your team pointless.  Instead of just fighting like 5 tough enemies you end up fighting 20 really weak enemies that come from every direction and it just feels dumb.  Like, they are trying to make you feel strong but instead the combat sometimes feels impotent.

What's good is great, what's bad is terrible.  I don't know 3 I guess?

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By kingzetta

after 20 hours it's a solid 4 out of 5.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Seppli
    @Quacktastic: 

Combat ain't about placement anymore. It's more about constant movement. On Insanity, you really got to constantly shuffle your dudes, while trying to grab all the aggro with a warrior and get around to focus fire baddies at the same time. More of a blade ballet than a tank and spank affair. Especially since ranged are being constantly interrupted by melee attacks - which goes both ways.

Keeping the enemy melees on their toes, while fucking up their ranged, is your best bet to succeed on Insanity. Of course there's a lot more to it, but that's the major change to DA:O. An increased emphasis on movement. Clever use of skill has been de-emphasized. Fewer skills. Longer cooldown timers on both skills and consumables. It's about learning to do, what to do, when everything's on cooldown.

Clever movement and cycling through targets. That's what. Thanks to zippy animations, it's a lot of fun to do so and watch it unfold. Badassery at its finest.
    Quacktastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Quacktastic
    @Seppli: 
    Maybe I'll try nightmare later and see if it feels better.  I've been on hard so far.
    SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SlashDance

I was pissed off by a number of things for the first few hours but now the game is starting to grow on me. 
    No, it's not even close to the first Dragon Age in terms of depth and content, but the experience it does offer is really good. 

I was half expecting way worse than this.

Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 13

#16  Edited By Chris2KLee

I had a great time, and a lot of the changes made seemed to actually fit me better than DA:O. It goes by faster for sure, but that's kinda why I liked it. Looking forward to playthrough 2.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Seppli
    @Quacktastic said:

" @Seppli:  Maybe I'll try nightmare later and see if it feels better.  I've been on hard so far. "

Friendly fire is a lot harsher and more realistic this time around. Dare I say the opposite of 'dumbed down'...

Rolled a 2handed warrior for Hawke, who deals AoE damage with nearly every attack - even auto-attacks. I filet my Mabari in a couple of swings and allies drop like flies when they come too close. All AoE will deal friendly fire to your group now. Back in DA:O, friendly fire was much more 'gamey'. Melee AoE didn't cause friendly fire damage at all. That's different now. A lot different.

It's 'effin awesome. I have to keep away my group from my warrior at all times, because he's swinging a 200 pound sword in huges arcs and killing everything around him. Definitely worth getting used to. Friendly fire for the win.
    Cataphract1014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By Cataphract1014

While I don't think it is a "perfect" game, I feel it is better than a 4.  So I voted 5.  I just beat it.

Time to start my rogue and be evil!

RubberFactory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By RubberFactory
    @Seppli: 
    Haha that sounds like a huge pain.
    Hourai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Hourai

4/5 stars. I'm only 8 hours in but I'm really enjoying it. It's no Mass Effect 2, but it's on par with Origins for me. Not sure where all the hate is coming from. 

MrWakka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MrWakka

3 out of 5 

It has all the hallmarks of a rushed title, egregious misuse of the copy and paste function, and a unsatisfying story that ends with a cliffhanger when it actually looks like it will finally get interesting.

darkwingduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By darkwingduck

im at the 20 hour mark now and i really dont want to go to sleep. However, its still somewhat of a strech at times (not all side missions are boring, but the ones that are will really break the flow of the game) but origins had flaws too. Also yo... that serial killer-mission? lets just say im a wizard...  
    anyways it tells a great story (but on a smaller scale than origins) , has combat that gets more fun the longer you play it , has great and believable characters, but lacks variety environmentwise. 4/5

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ryanwho

3 stars isn't mediocre. Mediocre means below average and 3 stars is above average. I wanna vote 3 stars but your dumb wordage prevents it. At the end of the day, as super dumb as the dungeon copypasting is, only exceeded in dumbness but the excuses people come up with for it, you acclimate to that. And by acclimate, I mean you stop doing sidequests. I feel bad for people enabling this shit because they're telling Bioware "no, I don't want the attention to detail you showed in DAO and ME2, I want you to cut corners". At the end of the day, whatever internet fight you think you're winning is really just validating Bioware/EA's hubris. And you can blame EA all you want, but Blizzard doesn't have this problem with excluded disc content sold as DLC and rehashing levels now do they? And they're owned by bigger dicks.

My main thing right now I think is not being able to quickly flip the entire team between 2 or more sets of tactics. I have a great setup for large groups of enemies and another setup that works on bosses, but they're completely different and they suck at doing the opposing thing. I'd love to have 2+ custom tactic sets per person and be able to group  those sets of tactics together and set that group(call it a formation, say) to a hotkey, then set another group of tactics to a different hotkey. So when I'm fighting a dragon that takes a break to let its 30 kids kill you, I can just switch from my 'boss' tactic group to the other group. Gambits have a lot of potential and hopefully someone over there can see how much more can be done. But yeah, Bioware, fire the fool who decided map recycling was a good idea. And don't use this opportunity to wall yourself up until all you hear are yes men or you'll be as clueless and detached as Square Enix. Which is a bummer, cus if they listened to people they'd know FF12 was really on to something and they'd stop looking at 1998 and pop singers for inspiration.  
    So yeah. Tactics fun. Characters have moments, Anders is whiny, the fade segment is a highlight instead of a lowlight this time (if the right people are brought in), elves look goofy, qunari look better, you let me throw Isabella under the bus (thank god), 3 star.

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By FritzDude
    @ryanwho:
    Mediocre means mediocris, which means middle, hence average. Or that's what i learned anyways.
    Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#25  Edited By Vinny_Says

how the fuck is anyone already done with it? unless you just did main quest stuff, but you probably missed out on fighting weird rock spiders, haunted houses, huge dragons, and dream worlds....because all that was side stuff in my Journal....

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By toowalrus

I want to click on a number to see the results of the poll, but I haven't played the game. I wish there was a "I haven't played it" option so I could see what the results are. I guess I'll just read your comments instead...

ZimboDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ZimboDK

I'm giving it three puppies!

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By FritzDude
    @TooWalrus: 

1 star - A big disappointment and overall a shitty game

2.3% 

2 star - While having a few good moments, it's still a bad game

3.4%  

3 star - A mediocre experience with it's ups and downs. An OK game  
    23.0% 

4 star - A great game with Bioware quality, but still missing some

51.7% 

5 star - A perfect game i can play for days, weeks, months or maybe years. I love it! 
    19,5%

So far :)

ricetopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ricetopher

Not voting on the poll because I don't agree with the descriptions paired with the rating.

Haven't finished but I've put in a solid 17 or so hours, trying to do everything I can. Game is enjoyable, but I've encountered a few annoying glitches and the game is showing that it was rushed out the door. It almost feels like I'm trying to play the first Assassin's Creed after playing AC2.

That being said there are a handful of things that I hope the Mass Effect team takes notice of, particularly the changes in the conversation wheel.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ryanwho
    @blacklabeldomm said:
    " how the fuck is anyone already done with it? unless you just did main quest stuff, but you probably missed out on fighting weird rock spiders, haunted houses, huge dragons, and dream worlds....because all that was side stuff in my Journal.... "
    None of the side stuff takes long to do unless there's a rough fight that has you restarting. Collectively, I probably killed the queen spider, entered the fade to save a possessed half elf, killed a minor dragon, and assisted Varris's revenge in about 40 minutes. So there's your rock spider, haunted house, dragon, dream world. And that's not an insult, I like that quests are bite sized. But the fact that they take place on the same maps means you know your way around real quick by midgame and knock quests out super fast.
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#31  Edited By ArbitraryWater

4 stars. It's not for mechanical reasons, though the copy/paste dungeons don't help that cause. It's for the weird issues of tone (basically, I think that in some ways they almost go out of their way to trivialize the events of DA:O by setting it somewhere away from the conclusion in that story and throwing in a few random cameos and callbacks from your imported save file) and the way the story ends with a fairly abrupt cliffhanger right as it's starts getting very interesting. I think the cast of characters is roughly on par with that of Mass Effect 2, and I think it's a better playing game, at least on consoles. I still need to collect my thoughts. Maybe I'll write a user review.

unchained

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By unchained

I finished it (I took a week off work, played non-stop - great little vacation).  

I'd go with the 5 star option. Having completed it, I'm ready to jump back in for a second playthrough. I thought the story was fantastic and I really enjoyed the characters. I loved the combat also. Yeah, 5 stars.

Avatar image for osheadiesstupid
    OsheaDiesStupid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By OsheaDiesStupid

3/5 stars for me. Recycling dungeons is really lazy. Also, they are leaving too many important characters out of these main games (Flemmeth, Morrigan etc.)  What are they going to do? Elaborate on their stories in the cartoon or the books?

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Nekroskop

3/5

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Chop

I'm easy to please though. I think it's better then Origins story wise, characters are on the same level if not higher, and the combat is better (On consoles, haven't played the pc version of 2). Only real issue is the copy and pasted dungeons but those don't bother me nearly as much as others apparently. 

Avatar image for extreme_popcorn
    Extreme_Popcorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Extreme_Popcorn

14 hours, not sure how far into the game I am but so far I'd give it 4/5. Combat is lots of fun, story is interesting in that I'm not really sure what is going on but all the side quests and companion quests are much improved from Origins.  

Companions are a bit...crap to be honest, only Varric has any personality which is sad because Anders was great in Awakening but now he's turned into a bit of a whiny bitch. 

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#37  Edited By Daveyo520

Very good.

eristocrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#38  Edited By eristocrat

4 stars.  I had a ton of fun playing them game and was totally planning on running through again as a mage right up until the very end, which is bullshit.  Overall, outside of dungeon recycling and the fact that sq. footage-wise the game feels small to me, I think it made a lot of improvements over DAO. However, at the end of DAO you kill a dragon,  The end of 2 seems like an advertisement saying "DLC is on the way kids."

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#39  Edited By CL60

4, it's a great game.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#40  Edited By nintendoeats
    @Enigma777 said:
    " It runs better and it looks better, but I can't say I'm having as much fun as I did in Origins. Then again I'm only 10 hours in so it could get better, but I'm really confused right now as to what is happening in the story... "
    I just wanted to discuss this comment for a moment. I played an entire game from start to finish today in the time that you have spent waiting for DA2 to get fun. I guess I can see how that could eventually lead to a more fulfilling experience in the end, but seriously...10 freaking hours?

RPGs don't seem to obey the rules of all other forms of entertainment ever. *shrug* Different strokes as they say...
    Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Enigma777
    @nintendoeats
    @Enigma777 said:
    " It runs better and it looks better, but I can't say I'm having as much fun as I did in Origins. Then again I'm only 10 hours in so it could get better, but I'm really confused right now as to what is happening in the story... "
    I just wanted to discuss this comment for a moment. I played an entire game from start to finish today in the time that you have spent waiting for DA2 to get fun. I guess I can see how that could eventually lead to a more fulfilling experience in the end, but seriously...10 freaking hours?

RPGs don't seem to obey the rules of all other forms of entertainment ever. *shrug* Different strokes as they say...
    I'm aching to get back and finish it, but I'm currently out of town and I only had enough time to play it for 10 hours before I left. With that said, I stand by my initial impression. Hopefully it will change as I play more
    rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#42  Edited By rjayb89

ONE STAR. THEY TOOK MY BETHANY. THEY JUST TOOK HER *sniff*

frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#43  Edited By frankxiv

so far my experience with dragon age 2 is it's release has made me go back and want to finish origins. 

so 4/5 before even booting it up

John_Lawlz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By John_Lawlz

The beginning of the game I felt it was going down a 2-3 star experience, but now that i'm in 12 hours it feels like a 4 star game. It's no origins, but that shouldn't prevent someone from experiencing it.

Cataphract1014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Cataphract1014
    @rjayb89 said:
    " ONE STAR. THEY TOOK MY BETHANY. THEY JUST TOOK HER *sniff* "
    God I know.  I would much rather have her for the whole game.
    John_Lawlz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By John_Lawlz
    @Cataphract1014 said:
    " @rjayb89 said:
    " ONE STAR. THEY TOOK MY BETHANY. THEY JUST TOOK HER *sniff* "
    God I know.  I would much rather have her for the whole game. "
    mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By mazik765

I think I'm near the end (about 35 hours in) and I am loving it. While there are certainly flaws, just like any game, I would give it 5 stars. I'm not even done my first play through and I already can't wait to start my second to find out how the story varies depending on the choices you make.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Subjugation

It's an entirely different feeling game than the first. That is growing on me though. I just miss the more interesting companions from the first game, especially Morrigan.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By kingzetta
    @weeman105 said:
    " 4  It's an entirely different feeling game than the first. That is growing on me though. I just miss the more interesting companions from the first game, especially Morrigan. "
    Trust me the DA2 crew get very interesting.
    Grelik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Grelik

I'm quite happy giving it a 4/5  I'm 12 hours in (playing on PC), and as per usual, the game has just received a ton of unwarranted hate from all the overly self entitled gamers out there who think this is their game or some shit and that Bioware wasn't allowed to make any changes.

My only real complaint?  I wouldn't so much mind the copy/pasted dungeons if they would just have removed the blocked off parts of the levels from the minimap.  It's annoying running one direction, only to find out that there's a dead end, even though it shows the rest of the level on the minimap.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.