Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Origins

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Nov 03, 2009

Dragon Age: Origins is an epic fantasy role-playing game featuring a rich story, personality-driven characters, and tactical, bloody combat. It is considered a spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate series.

Advertisements

THE_END

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By THE_END
    Disclosure: The game featured in this review is or was an advertised product on giantbomb.com.  

^ What is the purpose of putting this after reviews (example: DAO & Halo 3 ODST)?  
    Do they really need a disclosure statement like this?  

I thought these reviews were not influenced by game developers/publishers....especially after the drama surrounding Gerstmann's Gate.   If this is true and they are not being influenced when creating these reviews then what is the purpose behind this disclosure statement?

This just does not make alot of sense to me, for example,  I trust Giant Bomb game reviews 100% but I can see how some readers may see that disclaimer and get the wrong vibe and think this GB review score was influenced by the money they obtained from the game's producer/publisher for ads.  

Other game website reviews that I have read were on games they are advertising on their site but they did not put a disclaimer on the review.   I'm just wondering why they (GB) chose to do this.  

Do you think all game websites should follow suit and include this type of disclaimer?  Or do you think it is pointless and should be done away with?  What are your thoughts?
    torus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By torus
    jessej07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By jessej07
    Disclosure: The above comment in this thread was written by a rocket scientist.
    OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By OmegaPirate
    @jessej07 said:  

That is the best first post ever :D
    THE_END

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By THE_END

@torus said:

" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full_disclosure_(journalism)   It's not rocket science.   "

Listen here rocket scientist, you totally did not answer the question.  Since you are the rocket scientist can you please give a better answer than posting a link to a full disclosure media wiki.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#6  Edited By natetodamax
    @THE_END said:
    "
    @torus said:

" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full_disclosure_(journalism)   It's not rocket science.   "

Listen here rocket scientist, you totally did not answer the question.  Since you are the rocket scientist can you please give a better answer than posting a link to a full disclosure media wiki. "
    Or you could actually click on the link.
    GeneralTurkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By GeneralTurkle
    @natetodamax said:
    " @THE_END said:
    "
    @torus said:

Listen here rocket scientist, you totally did not answer the question.  Since you are the rocket scientist can you please give a better answer than posting a link to a full disclosure media wiki. "
    Or you could actually click on the link. "
    but wouldn't that be the smart thing?
    ieatlions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By ieatlions
    @OmegaPirate said:
    " @jessej07 said:   That is the best first post ever :D "
    i agree
    THE_END

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By THE_END
    @natetodamax said:

" @THE_END said:

"
    @torus said:

I did click on the link and read this: " Full disclosure in media refers to disclosing the interests of the writer which may bear on the subject being written about, for example, if the writer has worked with an interview subject in the past."

This does not answer of my questions presented.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By CL60
    @THE_END said:
    " @natetodamax said:

" @THE_END said:

"
    @torus said:

I did click on the link and read this: " Full disclosure in media refers to disclosing the interests of the writer which may bear on the subject being written about, for example, if the writer has worked with an interview subject in the past."  This does not answer of my questions presented. "
    Yes it does.
    Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Samaritan

It's called journalistic integrity sir, disclose that you are receiving advertising dollars from the company responsible for the product you are making qualitative statements about. A 5-star review for a game is a much worse example of this than if this was for, say, a game that ended up getting a 2-star score, as it is important to note this to say "The advertising dollars we received had no baring on my score for the game". As Torus said, it's not rocket science.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#12  Edited By beargirl1

NEW FRONT PAGE!

THE_END

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By THE_END
    @CL60 said:
    " @THE_END said:
    " @natetodamax said:

" @THE_END said:

"
    @torus said:

I did click on the link and read this: " Full disclosure in media refers to disclosing the interests of the writer which may bear on the subject being written about, for example, if the writer has worked with an interview subject in the past."  This does not answer of my questions presented. "
    Yes it does. "
    No it does not.
    Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TheMustacheHero
    @AjayRaz said:
    " NEW FRONT PAGE! "
    Still can't beat the Bear and T-rex during E3.
    bubahula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By bubahula

new front page ad, rad. its more in your face than the odst one but it looks pretty good
    THE_END

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By THE_END

@Progn0sticator said:

As Torus said, it's not rocket science. "

Is it really necessary for you to add this to the end of your comment?  Looks like I need to start avoiding the Giant Bomb forums around this time since all the the keyboard jerks are roaming around the forums.
    DerekDanahy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DerekDanahy
    @THE_END said:
    " Disclosure: The game featured in this review is or was an advertised product on giantbomb.com.    ^ What is the purpose of putting this after reviews (example: DAO & Halo 3 ODST)?   Do they really need a disclosure statement like this?    I thought these reviews were not influenced by game developers/publishers....especially after the drama surrounding Gerstmann's Gate.   If this is true and they are not being influenced when creating these reviews then what is the purpose behind this disclosure statement? "
    They are saying that if you don't trust the legitimacy of this site or of the person reviewing the game due to an exchange of money, to go check out another review from somewhere else.
    Avatar image for 21stcenturyjesus
    21stCenturyJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By 21stCenturyJesus
    @THE_END said:
    " @CL60 said:
    " @THE_END said:
    " @natetodamax said:

" @THE_END said:

"
    @torus said:

Yes it does. "
    No it does not. "

dude...yes it does
    FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By FunExplosions
    @OmegaPirate said:
    " @jessej07 said:   That is the best first post ever :D "
    Exactly my thoughts. That statement didn't match your icon.
    Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
    addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@21stCenturyJesus said:
    " @THE_END said:
    " @CL60 said:
    " @THE_END said:
    " @natetodamax said:

" @THE_END said:

"
    @torus said:

Yes it does. "
    No it does not. "
    dude...yes it does "
    yes it does, also don't be pissed your topic (which you tought would spark some gargantuan disscussion) didn't do better then a wiki link 
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MrKlorox

^ that sums it up

Avatar image for buzz_killington
    buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By buzz_killington

If the writer feels that he/she needs to mention it, they should. It is the writer's choice/site's policy. There is nothing wrong with it.

THE_END

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By THE_END
    @DerekDanahy said:

" @THE_END said:

" Disclosure: The game featured in this review is or was an advertised product on giantbomb.com.    ^ What is the purpose of putting this after reviews (example: DAO & Halo 3 ODST)?   Do they really need a disclosure statement like this?    I thought these reviews were not influenced by game developers/publishers....especially after the drama surrounding Gerstmann's Gate.   If this is true and they are not being influenced when creating these reviews then what is the purpose behind this disclosure statement? "

They are saying that if you don't trust the legitimacy of this site or of the person reviewing the game due to an exchange of money, to go check out another review from somewhere else. "

Thanks for not being a jerk like almost everyone else posting here.  

This just does not make alot of sense to me, for example,  I trust Giant Bomb game reviews 100% but I can see how some readers may see that disclaimer and get the wrong vibe and think this GB review score was influenced by the money they obtained from the game's producer/publisher for ads.  

Other game website reviews that I have read were on games they are advertising on their site but they did not put a disclaimer on the review.   I'm just wondering why they (GB) chose to do this.  

Do you think all game websites should follow suit and include this type of disclaimer?  Or do you think it is pointless and should be done away with?  What are your thoughts? 
    Icil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Icil

That's the idea. They're trying to be more ethical about it. You can't just say 'Rockstar's ad money didn't influence this article', because people would think they're lying (I would). Keep it truthful and neutral, so that the readers make the choice. Sure, some readers may have read the disclaimer and thought there was some funny business, that's their choice to think. It's Ryan's responsibility in the review, then, to prove to the reader that he wasn't influenced by ad money by being objective, neutral, etc.

Showing the disclaimer makes writing a review more difficult but more ethical, and that's why I love GB's reviews. Reviews with a rich pie filling and flaky ethics crust.

Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Yukoei

It is so they can lie about games that suck balls and say there good because if there game is advertised on your site and you give it a bad review, you get fired.

Disclaimer: The above sentence was an unfunny joke that makes no sense whatsoever.

THE_END

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By THE_END
    @addictedtopinescent said:

" @21stCenturyJesus said:

" @THE_END said:

" @CL60 said:
    " @THE_END said:
    " @natetodamax said:

" @THE_END said:

"

@torus

said:

Yes it does. "
    No it does not. "
    dude...yes it does "
    yes it does, also don't be pissed your topic (which you tought would spark some gargantuan disscussion) didn't do better then a wiki link  "
    No it does not.  
    Also, I did not tought my topic would spark some gargantuan disscussion.  
    VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27  Edited By VisariLoyalist

To clarify so that when the hoard of gamers comes after them claiming they're biased they can tell them to suck it.

tbone81889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By tbone81889
    @THE_END said:
    " Disclosure: The game featured in this review is or was an advertised product on giantbomb.com.    ^ What is the purpose of putting this after reviews (example: DAO & Halo 3 ODST)?   Do they really need a disclosure statement like this?    I thought these reviews were not influenced by game developers/publishers....especially after the drama surrounding Gerstmann's Gate.   If this is true and they are not being influenced when creating these reviews then what is the purpose behind this disclosure statement?   This just does not make alot of sense to me, for example,  I trust Giant Bomb game reviews 100% but I can see how some readers may see that disclaimer and get the wrong vibe and think this GB review score was influenced by the money they obtained from the game's producer/publisher for ads.    Other game website reviews that I have read were on games they are advertising on their site but they did not put a disclaimer on the review.   I'm just wondering why they (GB) chose to do this.    Do you think all game websites should follow suit and include this type of disclaimer?  Or do you think it is pointless and should be done away with?  What are your thoughts? "
    It has to do with what happened to Jeff when he worked for Gamespot.  He gave a poor review to Kane and Lynch which was a game advertised on the site.  The producer of Kane and Lynch (the name of the company escapes me) tried to get Jeff fired, if I'm not mistaken.  Now I don't know if Jeff did get fired or if he left, but from what I read Jeff just wanted to create a website that did not fall into the trap of corporate greed.  Thats one reason why they have the disclosure, to show that they honorable sources of information revolving the gaming industry.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.