Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Origins

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Nov 03, 2009

Dragon Age: Origins is an epic fantasy role-playing game featuring a rich story, personality-driven characters, and tactical, bloody combat. It is considered a spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate series.

Blurred, low res textures in places...(PC version)

Zaph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Zaph

So I've started playing the PC version of DAO with all the settings max'ed out. Everything looks great aside from some wood and stone textures that seem to be really low res and out of place. 

Anyone else experienced this or is it a problem with my computer?

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Binman88

I've noticed it too, I imagine it's just the way it was designed, unfortunately.

Zaph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Zaph
    @Binman88: Yeah, after checking a few other forums it seems to be by design and not my computer. Not a massive problem but still a shame imo.
    mhkjtha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By mhkjtha

i hate incosistent textures in games. it pissed me off about crysis, when most textures looked 10x better then that of 99% of all games but some of the textures on the rocks and some other stuff looked atrocius by n64 standards.

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By demonbear

i  can live with subpar graphics on an rpg because that's not what it's about. It's about characters and story... you know. Rpgs. Remember those?

.... probably not.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Scooper

It's wierd in games where some textures look amazing and some look like they've fallen out of a Gamecube. I don't know the reason for it. It really don't look right when nice textures are side by side with horrible blurry ones.

Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By Griddler
    @mhkjtha said:
    " but some of the textures on the rocks and some other stuff looked atrocius by n64 standards. "
    I think you might be exaggerating there.
    Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Binman88
    @demonbear said:
    " i  can live with subpar graphics on an rpg because that's not what it's about. It's about characters and story... you know. Rpgs. Remember those?  .... probably not. "
    The game actually holds up quite well graphically, but there are a few design issues as well - namely the static environment - that make the game feel a bit dated.
    demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By demonbear
    @Binman88 said:

" @demonbear said:

" i  can live with subpar graphics on an rpg because that's not what it's about. It's about characters and story... you know. Rpgs. Remember those?  .... probably not. "
    The game actually holds up quite well graphically, but there are a few design issues as well - namely the static environment - that make the game feel a bit dated. "
    My care-o-meter still shows zero. Because good character development and storytelling is always in hi Awesome x kickass resolution.
    mhkjtha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By mhkjtha
    @girdz: yes but they did look bad 
    [img]http://img17.imageshack.us/g/crysis2009072613330209.png/[/img]
    Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11  Edited By Griddler
    @mhkjtha: Those aren't so good, the ground looked worse than the rocks IMO, there are worse out there though. Did you have all the settings on full?
    Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#12  Edited By Soap

Any chance someone can take a screenshot of this problem?

Zaph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Zaph
    @demonbear: Please keep your generic, played out,  'there is more to RPGs than graphics' comments to yourself. If you have bothered to read the topic (judging by your irrelevant reply, I assume you haven't) you'd see we're actually praising the game. This topic is about poor, out of place texture work and trying to establish if this a graphics card related problem (which it isn't) or a game design problem (which it is).

As any designer (including myself) will tell you, there is nothing worst than inconsistency in your work and with a game as meticulously crafted as Dragon Age, such things do stand out and warrant discussion as to their cause.
    Zaph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Zaph
    @Soap: I will post one as soon as I get a chance. It's nothing huge or game breaking but it does make you wonder how it got past BioWare quality control. I think it's a left over of concessions made bringing it to consoles.
    mhkjtha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By mhkjtha
    @girdz said:
    " @mhkjtha: Those aren't so good, the ground looked worse than the rocks IMO, there are worse out there though. Did you have all the settings on full? "
    No i have roughly half set to high
    however objects, textures, postprocessing and shaders are set to v high, which im pretty sure are the only ones that can matter as far as texture appearance goes
    demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By demonbear
    @Zaph: If you are a designer, you'd know that before a game comes out the door, you have to make decisions, and sometimes those decisions will impact the look of the product. And i can very well deal with those, and since you seem to have figured out the cause, so should you.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By HitmanAgent47

For a pc game, that's a first. I usually expected perfect textures, i'll still get the game tommorrow regardless. 

Hopefully one day they have a texture pack you can download and replace everything.

mhkjtha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By mhkjtha

unofficial texture packs almost always suck

unless it's the resident evil 4 texture pack off course

Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Yukoei

That sucks but who cares? Its an RPG.

leviathan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By leviathan

All of you people using the excuse of "it's an RPG, so who cares" need to get off your RPG fanboy high horses. Sure, there's more to RPG's than graphics, and arguably the graphics come last to story/characters and gameplay, but does that mean that graphics aren't an aspect of the game? Does it mean that people can't express their disappointment, or hell, even make a topic addressing the fact that the graphics are inconsistent and that there's low res textures in places? Stop rubbing your RPG e-peen's and open your minds a little.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#21  Edited By Jeust
    @leviathan said:

" All of you people using the excuse of "it's an RPG, so who cares" need to get off your RPG fanboy high horses. Sure, there's more to RPG's than graphics, and arguably the graphics come last to story/characters and gameplay, but does that mean that graphics aren't an aspect of the game? Does it mean that people can't express their disappointment, or hell, even make a topic addressing the fact that the graphics are inconsistent and that there's low res textures in places? Stop rubbing your RPG e-peen's and open your minds a little. "

That is not even mentioning the fact hat graphics matter to emersion. If you loathe the graphics how are are going to feel "in the game"?

That is one my issues with the game...
    Ubiquitous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By Ubiquitous

Honestly. The graphics are pretty good. All this hate is pure nitpickery. There are some inconsistent textures in all games, this one actually seems like it has mostly better textures than many many modern games.

Daveydave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Daveydave

I think the people in this thread who are commenting on the out of place textures are not unhappy with the game. It perhaps does strike me as off however when they seem to stick out like they do. I will have to have a look out for them when I get it on Friday (damn uk release >.<)

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By artofwar420

It's probably because the game was made for consoles in mind. Shame.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.