Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Origins

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Nov 03, 2009

Dragon Age: Origins is an epic fantasy role-playing game featuring a rich story, personality-driven characters, and tactical, bloody combat. It is considered a spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate series.

My love for Dragon Age : Origins (and thoughts on DA2)

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

Edited By armaan8014

*Spoilers may lie ahead, also a LONG blog*

I have lately become obsessed with Dragon Age and it's world. And since this is a video game site, I thought I'd blog about it!
     It's pretty funny how I became a fan of the game. I waited like crazy for it to come out, but when it was released, I was too busy with my final exam for HS preparation to play it.
    It came out in November, And I got to play it only by late March 2010. In between my study times I would sometimes check out videos and pics of the game, and couldn't wait to play it.

Then came the time that I finally got finished with my exams and started playing it. At first I kinda had mixed feelings. I wanted to like it but the point and click gameplay turned me off a little bit. But then I got adjusted to that, and started enjoying the game. I enjoyed it so much that I mentally placed it in my top 10 fav RPGs list.  

But then after around 40 hrs of playing it, and after reaching the Deep Roads, I kinda got tired of and angry at the game. The length was crazy. The difficulty was insane (on normal). The game was just unfair at times. What's more surprising, is that I almost never made it out of the Deep Roads due to irritation. The game dropped to the bottom 5 of my list due to this. But I hung on till the end.
    And I'm glad I did.

What the game did best was, it gave you an entertaining and long experience throughout, and playing most of the game was a pleasure. But then, THE ENDING

Oh god... the ending. So goddamn emotional. So epic. So mysterious. It was like you're given a chocolate as a present and the second you take a bite, you're gifted Disneyland :P

The end immediately shot the game right up to the second spot, just under The Witcher. (Spoiler alert!!) Seeing Denerim burn was so awesome. Seeing all of your party fight the Blight was amazing. And most of all, the victory cutscenes in the end were just perfect. 

But what made it all so mysterious and kinda sad was the Epilogue. ESPECIALLY Morrigan's disappearance. That was just so fucking strange. Oh.. that moment.

No Caption Provided

And in my playthrough, Harrowmont died. I felt really sad and guilty about it. And now, Alistair was the king. I'd always liked Alistair, so it kinda felt sad that he wouldn't be traveling with us in our upcoming adventures, but then I placed all my hopes on DA2.

And thus, about 65 hrs of DA:O ended. And I was left feeling shaken. But I wanted more. I didn't want to be separated from that beautiful world. That beautiful story, and amazing music.
    So then I went and made two Tribute videos for the game. (They're inside the spoiler tag)

Watching these tributes makes me feel even stranger now. As a rule, I never play any story focused game more than once unless I really want to. This made the experience even more realistic. Watching these videos now just reminds me of that beautiful time when I used to play this amazing game. Especially the part in the first video where he sings "Soon, someone will put a spell on you" and Morrigan walks towards the player, proposing to him the idea of the dark (?) child.

By the time I had finished DA:O, the expansion pack, Awakening had already come out. I thought I'd take a break and catch up on the many other games I had missed out earlier. Around the start of July, I started Awakening. And I'm still playing it atm.  (and so is my friend, we both love DA!)

Then just today, I started and finished the official DLC, Leliana's Song. Oh, what a fucking great DLC. Made with perfection. If anyone wanted to know more about Leliana's past, they would have to look no further than this. I thouroughly enjoyed hearing and playing Leliana again. 
    And then I was finished with it, and the credits started rolling. And this music started. And as soon as I realized that it was going to be another truly beautiful piece of music that would haunt me for months, I said "no.. don't do this to me.. " and then just got lost in the song:

So this is how I finished the DLC, and then heard the song, the result of which is this blog. And due to which I have permanently lost my mind over DA. Also, the game probably sits on top of my list now!

Talking about Awakening, the game is extremely satisfying for a fan like me. I got to import my character, and it's awesome to get back into Fereldan. What saddened me though, is that I wasn't able to have more than a two minute conversation with Alistair, and none of the older party members (ESPECIALLY LELIANA) came back. 
    "But that's OK", I thought. "Dragon Age 2 is on the way, I can then get back into the great game, and will be able to meet the older characters, proper. We'll probably search for Morrigan, with Lelliana by my side, and the strange and sad feeling I got from leaving the DA:O world behind will go from my heart, giving me peace!"

BOOM

"No" said Bioware. "Fuck off" They continued. "Mass Effect 2 turned out to be one of our greatest successes yet, and even though you didn't like it as much as everyone else did, we'll make DA2 along those lines" 

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Ok, maybe I'm over reacting a little, but the following points are why my everything is crying:

1. No save import: WHY? Such a beautiful world. So much to do. Morrigan to search for! What about Lelliana? What happened to everyone? I wanna know and get back into it!
    2. New Character: I don't need no Hawke! I want my City Elf Darrian, who became a Grey Warden! That's me!
    2.5 New character is voiced: Now this, THIS completely kills it. Putting voice into him is completely Mass Effecting it. I don't need that. That disconnects me from the character. Now I'm just watching someone else's story! 
    3. New console - centered combat: This is  exactly what confirms to me that my other points are valid. They're not trying something new, they're just trying to please the remaining audience with a formula that worked. So much for tactical fighting now, let's "get into the action". Wow, the fighting's gonna be awesome.
    I know I might be mistaken, but I have a very bad feeling that the franchise might be undergoing Dumbing-down. The PC version was the best goddammit! Don't change the game because of that!
    4. Small fear-art style:  As of now, the graphics look like a joke. Hopefully, that's a result of the game being in early stages of development.

Of course, all of my fears could possibly turn out to be not what I am fearing, and Bioware might surprise me with an equally beautiful game. I certainly hope they do. 
    (PLEASE SURPRISE ME!)  Also, hopefully Hawke will have SOME little connection with the first game. Since he escaped the Blight, he might stumble upon old party members as they will be in the same time scale. I hope Morrigan or some other member meets us and joins our party.

If you read all the way till here, GOOD JOB! It's 1am here, my head's spinning, and I wrote all of the above in a half conscious state (and am pretty proud of myself :D  )
    So how do you feel? Were you as affected by the first game as I was? Share any fears about the second? Let me know!

Armaan
    armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By armaan8014

*Spoilers may lie ahead, also a LONG blog*

I have lately become obsessed with Dragon Age and it's world. And since this is a video game site, I thought I'd blog about it!
     It's pretty funny how I became a fan of the game. I waited like crazy for it to come out, but when it was released, I was too busy with my final exam for HS preparation to play it.
    It came out in November, And I got to play it only by late March 2010. In between my study times I would sometimes check out videos and pics of the game, and couldn't wait to play it.

Then came the time that I finally got finished with my exams and started playing it. At first I kinda had mixed feelings. I wanted to like it but the point and click gameplay turned me off a little bit. But then I got adjusted to that, and started enjoying the game. I enjoyed it so much that I mentally placed it in my top 10 fav RPGs list.  

But then after around 40 hrs of playing it, and after reaching the Deep Roads, I kinda got tired of and angry at the game. The length was crazy. The difficulty was insane (on normal). The game was just unfair at times. What's more surprising, is that I almost never made it out of the Deep Roads due to irritation. The game dropped to the bottom 5 of my list due to this. But I hung on till the end.
    And I'm glad I did.

What the game did best was, it gave you an entertaining and long experience throughout, and playing most of the game was a pleasure. But then, THE ENDING

Oh god... the ending. So goddamn emotional. So epic. So mysterious. It was like you're given a chocolate as a present and the second you take a bite, you're gifted Disneyland :P

The end immediately shot the game right up to the second spot, just under The Witcher. (Spoiler alert!!) Seeing Denerim burn was so awesome. Seeing all of your party fight the Blight was amazing. And most of all, the victory cutscenes in the end were just perfect. 

But what made it all so mysterious and kinda sad was the Epilogue. ESPECIALLY Morrigan's disappearance. That was just so fucking strange. Oh.. that moment.

No Caption Provided

And in my playthrough, Harrowmont died. I felt really sad and guilty about it. And now, Alistair was the king. I'd always liked Alistair, so it kinda felt sad that he wouldn't be traveling with us in our upcoming adventures, but then I placed all my hopes on DA2.

And thus, about 65 hrs of DA:O ended. And I was left feeling shaken. But I wanted more. I didn't want to be separated from that beautiful world. That beautiful story, and amazing music.
    So then I went and made two Tribute videos for the game. (They're inside the spoiler tag)

Watching these tributes makes me feel even stranger now. As a rule, I never play any story focused game more than once unless I really want to. This made the experience even more realistic. Watching these videos now just reminds me of that beautiful time when I used to play this amazing game. Especially the part in the first video where he sings "Soon, someone will put a spell on you" and Morrigan walks towards the player, proposing to him the idea of the dark (?) child.

By the time I had finished DA:O, the expansion pack, Awakening had already come out. I thought I'd take a break and catch up on the many other games I had missed out earlier. Around the start of July, I started Awakening. And I'm still playing it atm.  (and so is my friend, we both love DA!)

Then just today, I started and finished the official DLC, Leliana's Song. Oh, what a fucking great DLC. Made with perfection. If anyone wanted to know more about Leliana's past, they would have to look no further than this. I thouroughly enjoyed hearing and playing Leliana again. 
    And then I was finished with it, and the credits started rolling. And this music started. And as soon as I realized that it was going to be another truly beautiful piece of music that would haunt me for months, I said "no.. don't do this to me.. " and then just got lost in the song:

So this is how I finished the DLC, and then heard the song, the result of which is this blog. And due to which I have permanently lost my mind over DA. Also, the game probably sits on top of my list now!

Talking about Awakening, the game is extremely satisfying for a fan like me. I got to import my character, and it's awesome to get back into Fereldan. What saddened me though, is that I wasn't able to have more than a two minute conversation with Alistair, and none of the older party members (ESPECIALLY LELIANA) came back. 
    "But that's OK", I thought. "Dragon Age 2 is on the way, I can then get back into the great game, and will be able to meet the older characters, proper. We'll probably search for Morrigan, with Lelliana by my side, and the strange and sad feeling I got from leaving the DA:O world behind will go from my heart, giving me peace!"

BOOM

"No" said Bioware. "Fuck off" They continued. "Mass Effect 2 turned out to be one of our greatest successes yet, and even though you didn't like it as much as everyone else did, we'll make DA2 along those lines" 

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Ok, maybe I'm over reacting a little, but the following points are why my everything is crying:

1. No save import: WHY? Such a beautiful world. So much to do. Morrigan to search for! What about Lelliana? What happened to everyone? I wanna know and get back into it!
    2. New Character: I don't need no Hawke! I want my City Elf Darrian, who became a Grey Warden! That's me!
    2.5 New character is voiced: Now this, THIS completely kills it. Putting voice into him is completely Mass Effecting it. I don't need that. That disconnects me from the character. Now I'm just watching someone else's story! 
    3. New console - centered combat: This is  exactly what confirms to me that my other points are valid. They're not trying something new, they're just trying to please the remaining audience with a formula that worked. So much for tactical fighting now, let's "get into the action". Wow, the fighting's gonna be awesome.
    I know I might be mistaken, but I have a very bad feeling that the franchise might be undergoing Dumbing-down. The PC version was the best goddammit! Don't change the game because of that!
    4. Small fear-art style:  As of now, the graphics look like a joke. Hopefully, that's a result of the game being in early stages of development.

Of course, all of my fears could possibly turn out to be not what I am fearing, and Bioware might surprise me with an equally beautiful game. I certainly hope they do. 
    (PLEASE SURPRISE ME!)  Also, hopefully Hawke will have SOME little connection with the first game. Since he escaped the Blight, he might stumble upon old party members as they will be in the same time scale. I hope Morrigan or some other member meets us and joins our party.

If you read all the way till here, GOOD JOB! It's 1am here, my head's spinning, and I wrote all of the above in a half conscious state (and am pretty proud of myself :D  )
    So how do you feel? Were you as affected by the first game as I was? Share any fears about the second? Let me know!

Armaan
    sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#2  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

I am not a huge fan of the fact that you'll be playing as one central character.  In fact, the original's subtitle (Origins) seemed to imply that there would be some sort of continuity between characters in the Dragon Age games.  That being said, it's still early, and I'm cautiously optimistic about seeing where this game goes.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By Claude

I quit reading before the spoilers. Yeah, the Deep Roads were hell and hell to win on easy. I almost reached the final battle with the Archdemon, but while going through the gauntlet of bad guys to get there, I quit. I need to finish. I'm sure I'm only a hour or two from finishing my Male Noble quest. GO! CLAUDIAN!!!

Actually, I would like to play other origins, but I can't until I finish my first quest. Yeah, need to finish that.

sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By sagesebas
    @armaan8014: I feel similar to you I am about 23 hours in and if it keeps this pace it could be my favorite game, I feel like the changes they are making are contradictory to the whole mindset of the first game, we'll have to see though the voice stuff kills me too
    Avatar image for harderbetterfasterstronger
    HarderBetterFasterStronger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@armaan8014:  Lemme just try to alleviate your fears a little.  First off, Dragon Age WAS spectacular, don't get me wrong. I love the game, but it had a large share of flaws. By the way, I hope you aren't writing this blog immediately after beating the game. Because as I've noticed from experience, you need time to let a game settle in your mind before you can make an honest opinion on it. (For example, my initial hatred of Bioshock, and my insane love for the "story" of Halo 3 directly after I beat it.) I digress.  

Dragon Age to me, felt rushed. It was the least polished BIoware game that I have ever played. The graphics, on any system, were just assaulting to the eyes. (Poor textures, sometimes straight up LACK of textures, poorly animated faces and body language, I could go on.) The fact that the main character never had a voice just felt wrong to me, considering that they were able to fit an entire GAME'S worth of dialogue for not one, but TWO genders into both Mass Effect's (also taking account into the hundreds of different decisions the player can make.) Having a main character with a voice does not make the experience any less personal in my mind, in fact it makes it more personal, because emotions are best expressed through voice, not text. Just ask the hundreds of people who feel that their personal Commander Shepard is the one "true" Shepard.  

The world itself, while rich in back story and culture, was awfully small if you look at it without the over-world map. I hated having to watch a blood-spot trail going from Point-A to Point-B every time I wanted to progress to a new area. Think about how much area in Dragon Age is actually explorable? Add that up and it probably doesn't even equal the square mileage in the tiniest open-world game you could think of. Breaks immersion for me.  

The combat is probably the most offensive part of the game to me. Bioware has been doing RPGs for a long, long time. They've been doing RPGs since I was in kindergarten. How could they mess up this games battle system to badly? I played both the PC version and the console versions, so let me address them separately as they both play differently. The PC version is overly complicated and INSANELY difficult. The console version is at sometimes brain-meltingly easy, and simplified to a point where you will never get a full grasp of what ANY of the classes can do. The majority of the abilities themselves are pretty much useless. I found myself using the same ability pretty much the entire way through on my main warrior, while everyone else did pretty much the same thing in every single battle; died.   

Now don't take this as me hating on Dragon Age because as I said, I love it. I read through both books in one week for a reason, you know. (And if you haven't picked them up yet you definitely should. They are written by David Gaider, the lead writer of the game, and they give great back story on King Maric and Loghain.) Dragon Age had a fantastic story, fantastic characters, and the characters that were actually voiced were cast well.  

Dragon Age 2 looks to be fixing all the things that were wrong with the first game, which was pretty much every part of it that was the game. And don't judge the game based on these screens. I, quite frankly am surprised they are even releasing anything other than concept art at this point. 
    sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By sagesebas
    @HarderBetterFasterStronger: I haven't found it too hard, it was certainly very challenging but it is not particularly frustrating or unforgiving, I think you might have went about playing t wrong or had it on too high a setting.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sagesebas:  on the PC I was playing on normal and died about every 5 minutes. On 360 I had it set to hard and pretty much never died. 
    sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By sagesebas

Gotta use that space bar man

Roger778

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Roger778

It just doesn't feel right not to be able to continue the adventures of Barnabus, the Dwarf character, that I created in Origins, and imported into Awakening.  I need to know, where Morrigan is, and if the child I helped put in her womb has fully grown or not.  not to mention, not being able to see Sten, Oghren, Alistair, and Leliana again.   

Instead, right now, Bioware is going in a new direction this time, with a new hero that is fully voiced, and a new combat system.  That is really stressing me out.  But, hopefully my fears that it will be a dumbed down sequel will be for naught.  It could very well be a good game, and a worthy sequel to Dragon Age: Origins. 

That was a good blog post by the way, armaan8014.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sagesebas: Oh believe me, I did. I knew how to pause. In fact, I was distraught when I found out that the 360 did not have a pause. But then again, its so easy that you don't need it. 
    sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By sagesebas
    @HarderBetterFasterStronger: I understand what your saying though and it makes perfect sense, and I feel glad I decided to get the PC version, what scares me the most though will Morrigan be in the next game? :(
    armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By armaan8014

@Claude:
    Yes! Do finish it! As I wrote in the blog, the ending is sure to leave you loving the game. And in the later months, when you go over the adventure you had, you'll truly love the game. Also, listen to that OST I put up there. You might like it.

@HarderBetterFasterStronger:

No, as I wrote in the blog, I beat the game around April (I don't blame you if you didn't read it completely :P) And I just got over with the DLC which inspired me to write this blog.
    But somehow I didn't find the graphics as bad as many people claim them to be. Maybe it's better on the PC version with a decent rig.
    I agree with you about the world though, I was extremely annoyed with the fact that it wasn't open world and that we had to travel like that. But then I made myself look over that flaw, and it didn't bother me then.
    I actually found the battle system pretty interesting too. Once you set up your tactics, it's fun to watch your characters respond accordingly. Winning tough battles with a new strategy never gets old! :)
     Though I don't necessarily have the same views as you in some of the points about the game, I can see what you mean. 
    If DA2 is setting out to remove the flaws of the first, I don't mind. It just shouldn't be a dumbed down and more "Fun" game. I don't want a ME2 clone

@sagesebas:
    Yes, even I didn't find the game that difficult all the time. Though there were a some fights in the game that were crazy difficult and frustrating. But I completed all on normal difficulty. The last fight was INSANE though.  But hey, that's realism. No one goes easy on you if your level is too low in real life :P

@Roger778:
    Thanks :) I wrote it in a dizzy state at night, nice to see you actually read through it.
    I do have faith in Bioware. If they can create DA:O, they sure can create another magical game like that. Just hope they have some surprises in store for us. 
    YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By YoThatLimp

Man, i hated the ending. Kill the dragon and the end. No cinematic or anything just a little blurb on the characters post origins. Put about35 hours per playthrough, couldnt make it through fully twice as the games choice system was terrible and very black and white.  

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sagesebas: I'm assuming that even though they're moving on to a new character, the old characters and stories will not be abandoned.  

@armaan8014: I'm hoping the exact same thing as you, I was very disappointed by Mass Effect 2. It seems they took almost everything out while adding nothing in. :( Again, don't take it as me hating on Dragon Age, I honestly do love this game. And I might have made more out of its problems just to make it easier to point them out. It makes my top list of favorite RPGs as well, just not nearly as high as yours :P.
    armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By armaan8014
    @HarderBetterFasterStronger said:
    " It makes my top list of favorite RPGs as well, just not nearly as high as yours :P. "
    Ha ha. True. But I have yet to play NWN2 and Baldur's gate 2. Hopefully the list will get shaken up then!
    Fait622

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By Fait622

I first played DA:O on my X-Box 360 last year, played through one time, loved it, and couldn't bring myself to go through it again. I now have it on my PC and just did my first playthrough and have already started another. The difference in combat controlls is night and day, so I can see why you would be concerned about Bio-Ware incorporating the console controlls to the PC.....but that is not gonna happen.  

I think that they will streamline the PC combat a little, tweek tactics a little bit, but that's it. I just think that they will be completely overhauling the console controlls, so rest easy on that point. 
    armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By armaan8014
    @Fait622: I hope you're right!
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ryanwho
    @Metalideth said:
    " Man, i hated the ending. Kill the dragon and the end. No cinematic or anything just a little blurb on the characters post origins. Put about35 hours per playthrough, couldnt make it through fully twice as the games choice system was terrible and very black and white.   "
    There was only time in the game you can't really make a compromise, and that's not even a black or white choice. 
    Yeah I'm hesitant about DA2. Bioware seems to be assuming anyone who liked DAO must have loooooved ME2 which couldn't be further from the truth for me.
    armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By armaan8014
    @ryanwho said:
    " @Metalideth said:
    " Man, i hated the ending. Kill the dragon and the end. No cinematic or anything just a little blurb on the characters post origins. Put about35 hours per playthrough, couldnt make it through fully twice as the games choice system was terrible and very black and white.   "
    There was only time in the game you can't really make a compromise, and that's not even a black or white choice. Yeah I'm hesitant about DA2. Bioware seems to be assuming anyone who liked DAO must have loooooved ME2 which couldn't be further from the truth for me. "
    EXACTLY. Give me a five! I didn't enjoy ME2 that much, was pretty disappointed (even though I loved Me1)

If DA2 is going to be along the lines of ME2, I'm sure many hearts will be broken.
    Teran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By Teran

The combat is probably the most offensive part of the game to me. Bioware has been doing RPGs for a long, long time. They've been doing RPGs since I was in kindergarten. How could they mess up this games battle system to badly? I played both the PC version and the console versions, so let me address them separately as they both play differently. The PC version is overly complicated and INSANELY difficult.   

I hope you are kidding.  The PC version was not insanely difficult.  There were definitely problems with the combat, but difficulty was not one of those problems.  Sure, at the start of the game things aren't easy, but difficult?  Only if you're not using the tools Bioware gave you, namely using all four of your party members and on occasion pausing to assess the situation... and even then the need for even this passes eventually.

Bioware gave players a lot of options but about midway through my first play through I noticed that none of the abilities were really worth the time it took their animations to be cast because most of the abilities actually did less damage but none of the enemies had enough hp to make status modifiers like stuns really worth while. 

On my second play through I applied what I had learned and beat the game using no abilities, without a dedicated "tank" or a dedicated "healer".  I decided to test the strategy on the hardest difficulty and ran through the game again with no issues... it was actually kind of boring as I was just right clicking stuff and watching it die very quickly. 

If you spend a little time learning the game systems you find that it wasn't difficult or complicated, it was actually quite the opposite because the more you learned, the less you needed to do anything outside of right click.  Bioware did an amazing job with the world, though it had its flaws.  I thought their combat system in this game was better than any in the previous games (not counting ME1&2, too different in genre), but this has never been their strong suit.  

The way I play games might be different than most people, I experienced something similar to your experience of having my "softer" party members die a lot so I addressed that by making them tougher.  I found hp did little to increase their survivability which meant I had to go for heavier armor and learned how amazing the strength stat was as a result.  It's one thing to complain that your party dies a lot, sometimes it can't be helped, but what did you do to try and fix this problem?

I think you and I actually agree in the end we're just on different sides of a technicality.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Teran:  Not kidding friend, I found most abilities were useless. (Did I already say that?) And why should I be putting stat points into strength for a mage? What RPG would ever require you to do that? It's like putting points into a Warrior's magic abilities. I just thought the combat system was poor. The animations were certainly awful. But I am making too much of little things in the end. The most important part of a game for me will always be the story. (Which is why I never play multiplayer games of any type for more than a few days usually.) And it was spot on perfect here. 
    armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By armaan8014
    " @Teran:  Not kidding friend, I found most abilities were useless. (Did I already say that?) And why should I be putting stat points into strength for a mage? What RPG would ever require you to do that? It's like putting points into a Warrior's magic abilities. I just thought the combat system was poor. The animations were certainly awful. But I am making too much of little things in the end. The most important part of a game for me will always be the story. (Which is why I never play multiplayer games of any type for more than a few days usually.) And it was spot on perfect here.  "
    I never put strength points for my mages. Why would you do that?
    mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By mazik765

Kind of an over reaction considering we have next to no information on it besides a few screens and the fact that it exists. Also, it's fucking Bioware. Do you really think Bioware is going to make a bad game? They know what they're doing and any changes they make I'm sure have been made for a good reason.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By armaan8014
    @mazik765 said:
    " Kind of an over reaction considering we have next to no information on it besides a few screens and the fact that it exists. Also, it's fucking Bioware. Do you really think Bioware is going to make a bad game? They know what they're doing and any changes they make I'm sure have been made for a good reason. "
    ok ... :*(
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#25  Edited By xyzygy

Everything I've heard about DA2 sounds amazing and it sounds like I'l like it a lot more than DA:O. I had a lot of problems with the first game. The setting was totally uninspired, the story was predictable and there was nothing actually "interesting" that happens. A lot of the characters were totally annoying, the graphics were sub-par (console versions), and the combat got boring fast. Nevertheless, I liked it enough to S-Rank it so there's that.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ryanwho
    @mazik765 said:
    " Kind of an over reaction considering we have next to no information on it besides a few screens and the fact that it exists. Also, it's fucking Bioware. Do you really think Bioware is going to make a bad game? They know what they're doing and any changes they make I'm sure have been made for a good reason. "
    Pass the koolaid, guy. Because I want to live in a universe where Jade Empire and Sonic Chronicles weren't completely shitty.
    mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By mazik765
    @ryanwho said:
    " @mazik765 said:
    Pass the koolaid, guy. Because I want to live in a universe where Jade Empire and Sonic Chronicles weren't completely shitty. "
    Well I don't know what kind of fascist, hate-filled universe you live in but Jade Empire was a beautiful game. Also Sonic Chronicles wasn't bad. It wasn't great, but it wasn't bad.
    sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By sagesebas
    @HarderBetterFasterStronger: I think you were doing it wrong
    Dustpan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Dustpan

1.Actually there will be a save import feature. It will only import your choices however.
    2.The Dragon Age franchise was never contoured around The Warden.
    3.What? It's a video game, not some sort of history of your life. You will still be making decisions, changing and developing the story as you go along just like in the first Dragon Age. Just because the character is voiced doesn't mean it's not  your.
    4. There really isn't any evidence of the combat from Dragon Age: Origins being thrown out the window for a more console focused game. Obviously the combat will be tweaked, but for all we know it could just mean that the player will have more enemy interaction with the combat, giving it a more personal feel.
    5. Looks like Dragon Age to me. 

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By armaan8014
    @JustTheDoctor said:

" 1.Actually there will be a save import feature. It will only import your choices however.
    2  "

Alright, if the choices are going to be imported, I'm satisfied

3.What? It's a video game, not some sort of history of your life. 

lol
    pwnasaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#31  Edited By pwnasaurus

i feel the same, its not often that bioware cock up, but it looks like they are heading down that road. :( and its with dragon age my favorite thing they have put out it saddens me greatly heres hoping bioware knows what they are doing.

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#32  Edited By YoThatLimp
    @ryanwho said:
    " @Metalideth said:
    There was only time in the game you can't really make a compromise, and that's not even a black or white choice. Yeah I'm hesitant about DA2. Bioware seems to be assuming anyone who liked DAO must have loooooved ME2 which couldn't be further from the truth for me. "
    And what was that? There are 3 ways a decision in DA goes: good, evil, and crappy for everyone/no one 

I really enjoyed my game sans the couple of parts that dragged on ( the fade sequence) and combat that becoming boring after you discovered shatter for the first time hah. I loved the universe, I read both books and enjoyed them but was kind of bummed how the game turned out overall. The changes they are making hint at dumbing it down to Mass Effect levels which would be criminal IMO
    Teran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Teran

" @Teran:  Not kidding friend, I found most abilities were useless. (Did I already say that?) And why should I be putting stat points into strength for a mage? What RPG would ever require you to do that? It's like putting points into a Warrior's magic abilities.

Mages that take the arcane warrior subclass use magic for armor requirements and melee damage calculations instead of strength.  I had assumed you had actually played the game and understood the different class and subclass abilities and did not think I needed to spell out the obvious.  If a mage did pump str (or in the case of an arcane warrior magic) they become almost unhittable and will likely outlive any rogue or warrior in your party... and with miasma very reliably keep enemies attacking them.

As for why any rpg would ever do that, is it your belief that every mage in every game/book/movie ever should be weak and physically frail? 

As I said in my post, the activated abilities are largely useless, only the sustained passives really do much for you but they do a lot when every character is stacking all they can.  Melee dps need only one skill a little agi, and the rest in str to become damage dealing demigods.   To some degree they don't even need that, just put two daggers in their hands and let them go nuts.

I just thought the combat system was poor. The animations were certainly awful. But I am making too much of little things in the end. The most important part of a game for me will always be the story. (Which is why I never play multiplayer games of any type for more than a few days usually.) And it was spot on perfect here.  "

I agree with you there, the combat system should have been a lot better, though the animations were fine outside of the occasional glitch.  The story was very well done I think because it always felt like I could do what I wanted, or rather what I thought my character would want.        
    Teran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Teran
    @armaan8014: You wouldn't put strength on a mage, though you could and get nearly the same result.  If your mage is an arcane warrior, their magic stat counts as their strength stat for damage and wearing armor. 

Magic on an arcane warrior is slightly more efficient because it modifies your spells as well as melee attacks but the lion's share of damage on a mage built this way will be from dual wield melee dagger attacks.
    armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By armaan8014

read the article in Game informer. Game's looking pretty good!

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ryanwho
    @Metalideth said:
    " @ryanwho said:
    " @Metalideth said:
    And what was that? There are 3 ways a decision in DA goes: good, evil, and crappy for everyone/no one  I really enjoyed my game sans the couple of parts that dragged on ( the fade sequence) and combat that becoming boring after you discovered shatter for the first time hah. I loved the universe, I read both books and enjoyed them but was kind of bummed how the game turned out overall. The changes they are making hint at dumbing it down to Mass Effect levels which would be criminal IMO "
    The dwarf story arc isn't black and white and neither is choosing Loghain over Allistar, and those are the only "this or that no compromise" choices in the game.
    tranquilchaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#37  Edited By tranquilchaos
    @ryanwho said:
    " @mazik765 said:
    Pass the koolaid, guy. Because I want to live in a universe where Jade Empire and Sonic Chronicles weren't completely shitty. "
    You already do.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ryanwho
    @tranquilchaos: Awesome. So I guess we can stop bitching about Sonic games sucking, Bioware magically broke the cycle. Spread the news. But maybe play the game first.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.