Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Origins

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Nov 03, 2009

Dragon Age: Origins is an epic fantasy role-playing game featuring a rich story, personality-driven characters, and tactical, bloody combat. It is considered a spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate series.

The Unending Feast That is Dragon Age: Origins (Part One)

Darth_Navster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

Edited By Darth_Navster
    Dragon Age yo.
    Dragon Age yo.

Who’s up for some Darkspawn murdering? I know I am, as my yearly itch to replay a Bioware game starts to surface. Whereas in previous years I’ve gone through the Mass Effect trilogy, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, and the oft-forgotten Jade Empire, this time around I’ve decided to wade into the seemingly infinite ocean that is Dragon Age: Origins - Ultimate Edition. This is my first time playing the game on PC (previous playthroughs being on the Xbox 360) and it will also be the first time that I’ve experienced most of the DLC, of which there are a lot. Before it was put out to pasture, Origins had 8 separate major content packs released for it. The sizes of these packs vary, with some taking only an hour or two to complete and the largest being a 20+ hour long campaign. Add that to the already sizable main game and I’ve realized too late that I’ve bitten off far too much. To justify my endless hours playing the game, I’ve decided to do mini-reviews of each piece of content. This will be the first of two entries, where I will look at the base game and DLC related to that campaign. The standalone campaigns will be discussed in the next write-up. So with a deep breath, here I go.

Dragon Age: Origins

Elissa Cousland, Grey Warden.
    Elissa Cousland, Grey Warden.

The base campaign for Dragon Age: Origins is a successful modern take on the CRPG campaigns of old. Per the “Origins” in the title, a good portion of the early game is spent establishing the main character and their place in Ferelden, the nation that the game takes place in. Of the six possible origin stories, I chose to play as a female human noble, mainly because I was aiming for the regency of Ferelden by the game’s end. Unfortunately this precluded me from picking my favorite class, the mage, and I settled on being a warrior. Unlike the other origins, the human noble one becomes intertwined with the main quest right from the outset. As a scion of house Cousland living in Ferelden’s capital, I was inundated with references to Ferelden’s King, the supposed threat of a new Darkspawn uprising, and the treachery of Arl Howe, who betrayed and murdered my family. This left me with no choice but to join the visiting Duncan, a Grey Warden, who conscripted me into his order. Not to get too much into the lore of Dragon Age, but Grey Wardens are basically special warriors that fight Darkspawn, which are corrupted beings that threaten to overwhelm the world through campaigns known as “Blights”. Duncan believed that a new Blight was forthcoming and he, along with King Cailan, set out to the keep at Ostagar to head off this threat before it becomes too great. It was there that I officially became a Grey Warden, but then suffered something of a setback. During the battle Teryn Loghain, Cailan’s second, betrayed the King by withdrawing his forces at a crucial moment. The remaining force was obliterated and I along with another Warden, Alistair, were forced to marshal another army to end the blight and bring Loghain the justice. From there begins a long and well written quest.

Combat is waaaaay better on the PC than consoles.
    Combat is waaaaay better on the PC than consoles.

The gameplay is an intriguing mix of old and new. While Bioware was blazing a new trail with Mass Effect, Dragon Age: Origins was designed to be a modern throwback to the 90’s CRPG paradigm. Combat is akin to Baldur’s Gate, with the party essentially fighting autonomously in pseudo-real time unless given commands by the player. Hitting the space bar at any time pauses combat, which allows for sober strategic thought as I considered which spell or ability would be the most appropriate for a given situation. There are a few features here that make the experience player friendly, including refreshed health and mana/stamina outside of combat and checkpoint saves. Dialog is similar to Knights of the Old Republic, with fully voiced lines from NPCs that the player will wordlessly respond to. While this decision makes sense given that the main character can be from a variety of origins, it still comes off as awkward and has not aged all that well. Still, the quality of writing and the fully realized characters you interact with more than makes up for this small shortcoming.

The world of Dragon Age is incredibly well realized and it’s clear a lot of thought went into its creation. While there are clear parallels with European history (i.e. the Tevinter Imperium being an ersatz Rome/Byzantium, Andraste being a Christ-like figure, etc.), the developers have also included some interesting twists from the typical fantasy canon. Elves here are essentially slaves and lower class due to their ancient kingdom being conquered by humans, and dwarves are isolationists due to their underground empire being overrun by Darkspawn many centuries ago. While Dragon Age is overall not all that distinct from the Tolkien inspired fantasy canon there are still plenty of interesting things within its setting to set it apart from other entries in the genre. Admittedly the more interesting aspect of this world are really brought to the fore in Dragon Age II and Inquisition, but the foundation is laid here for bigger and better things.

The dialog system is not creative in the slightest, but it gets the job done nicely.
    The dialog system is not creative in the slightest, but it gets the job done nicely.

The bulk of the game involved me shlepping my party all around Ferelden and completing quests to curry the favor of the human, elven, mage, and dwarven factions in order to defend against the Darkspawn. There are smaller side quests not directly tied to these goals, but for the most part my time was focused on the various branches related to the main quest line. These quests are very well paced, with such high points as entering the magical Fade realm to exorcise a demon and brokering a complex political situation to restore the throne of Ferelden. However, there are times that the campaign drags, including an interminably long stretch in the dwarven Deep Roads where I was forced to fight Darkspawn in a drab and repetitive setting. Still, the story as a whole holds together throughout its nearly 40 hour runtime with little filler added. Even when the main campaign lulled, the writing of the NPCs and the banter between party members managed to keep my interest.

It's weird seeing Isabella look like this after playing Dragon Age II.
    It's weird seeing Isabella look like this after playing Dragon Age II.

The endgame is one of the strongest that Bioware has ever put out. The amount of possible choices available is liberating and there is no prodding by the game to go down a specific path. Will I support Alistair's claim for the throne, keep Loghain in charge, or seize the throne myself? Will I have Morrigan carry a child that will absorb the Blight leader’s soul? The amount of world shaping truly made me feel like the story was my own, although the cursory lip service paid to my choices in the sequels shows the downside to this approach. However, as a standalone game the story is excellent and shows Bioware at its peak as an RPG maker.

Dragon Age: Origins’ base game still holds up six years after release. The game certainly can look and play a bit dated at times, especially when comparing it to modern CRPGs like Divinity: Original Sin, but the solid writing and excellent world building make the experience compelling throughout. One can make the argument that Origins focuses too much on homage and not enough on pushing the genre forward, but sometimes it’s a good thing for a game to double down on what it does best. Even without the additional content that make up the Ultimate Edition, I would still recommend the game to those looking for a well-crafted, substantive RPG adventure.

The Stone Prisoner

No Caption Provided

In what has now become a trend in Bioware games, certain characters are only offered as DLC. What began as a day one freebie in Mass Effect 2 has evolved into a frankly sleazy tactic to get players to pay more to fully experience the game (see Javik in Mass Effect 3). So it is with The Stone Prisoner, which introduces the free-willed golemShale to the party. After coming across a merchant who gifts the Warden with a golem control rod, I journeyed to the village of Honnleath where my soon-to-be party member stood frozen in the town’s center. Jumping through a few hoops I eventually reanimated Shale, but soon realized that such a bruiser would not fit all that well with my active party. So outside of speaking to Shale at the party camp, I sadly saw little of the plucky rock monster. Shale’s personality seems to be one of indifference to the party’s goals and she has a bloodlust not unlike the unforgettable HK-47. Overall she’s not a bad character, but in the pantheon of premium DLC party members she’s about as memorable as Zaeed Messani, who most people can’t even remember all that well.

Her character specific quest involved an expedition down into the Deep Roads to uncover her dwarven past. Unfortunately there isn’t much to the quest aside from finding a few trinkets and monotonously killing Darkspawn, something I got my fill of during the main quest. Despite this I think Shale is a decent addition and her DLC is worth looking into, especially if your main character is a mage or rogue.

Warden’s Keep

In this relatively brief quest I was tasked with reclaiming the old Grey Warden fortress tucked away in snowy Soldier’s Peak. The story presented is surprisingly compelling given its length. The Warden is able to see ghostly visions of the previous tenants in a desperate last stand against an invading army and follows their final moments in the keep. There isn’t much player agency involved, as I simply needed to clear the fortress of demons and then determined the fate of the mage that doomed his fellow Grey Wardens to die. Still, the end of the quest provided a fantastic armor set, a new merchant, and above all, a chest to store excess items. For the chest alone I recommend that all players do this quest as early as possible, but the story and gear makes this DLC worth a playthrough regardless.

Return to Ostagar

This quest is the definition of filler and I can’t believe Bioware had the nerve to charge for it. Return to Ostagar, as the name would suggest, had me venturing back to the site of the disastrous battle that kicked off the events of the main game. The Warden is tasked with searching the battlefield for anything of value and also to recover some of the slain King Cailan’s secret correspondence. Though there are bits and pieces of lore scattered about and the reveal of Cailan’s defiled body is pretty neat, it’s outweighed by the repurposed old content that just felt like padding. The end of the quest has some good gear, including Cailan’s armor set and Duncan’s weapons, but it can’t save this DLC. Recommend a hard skip on this phoned-in content.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Fuck, I'll have to play this again sometime. I think Origins might be the last truly great RPG of its kind.

With that said, fuck Warden's Keep. I paid money for that, and if you leave the building before taking the armour set, you can't walk back inside to get it.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

There's totally a mod that makes Isabella look like she does in Dragon Age 2. There's also one for Flemeth. I also really like the mod that alters the look of elves to be more in line with what they look like in subsequent games with their large eyes and distinct facial structure. The design of the elves in the first game was pretty lame, since they were basically slightly smaller humans with pointed ears.

Avatar image for do_the_manta_ray
    Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Do_The_Manta_Ray

.. Did you just write an entire paragraph dissing Shale? Shame on you, you pigeon lover. Shame.

Otherwise a good read. Dragon Age: Origins has become one of my very favourite games, not just of the last generation, but ever. It doesn't quite reach the height of previous Black Isle titles, but stands well on it's own nonetheless. Between the terrific cast of characters and a genuinely great, fairly unique fantasy world, it did everything I wanted from a modern Bioware RPG. Which is more than I can say for.. Well, anything else they've done since Mass Effect 2. There's no denying that the DLC content is all kinds of scummy, though, with the exception of "Awakening", which I personally consider an underrated gem.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I have to admit that the bad taste in my mouth from Dragon Age Inquisition made me question if I like Origins as much as I thought I did or if the likes of Pillars of Eternity has supplanted it as the true successor to Baldur's Gate. It's something that I'll have to verify for myself again one of these days, alongside a playthrough of Dragon Age II to see if I can still label myself as an apologist for that game and some of the dumb, regressive junk that it does.

Origins is the first Bioware game that was published after their acquisition by EA... which explains the rotten DLC tactics. Shale is a neat character to have around and Awakening is an alright expansion, but the rest of the DLC in that game ranges from "neat, but optional" to "Not worth your money or time." There's one where you control Darkspawn which is some real phoned-in bullshit, and a slightly more interesting look at Leliana's backstory that is... probably still not worth your time.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A really tremendous game. Loved the PC mods that cleaned the game up a bit too. I'm sad that Bioware will probably never make a game quite like it again.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By Atwa

Dragon Age Origins is so god damn good. I always feel it gets slept upon in favor of Mass Effect, but I feel Dragon Age Origins was Biowares best game on the last gen, its just so massive and has so much stuff going for it. Maybe because the other two games never came close to the first one.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#7  Edited By Humanity

Origins is a really good "old" game in that I enjoyed it for what it was, but large parts of it were really rough even a few years ago, more so now. That said it still remains a great example of "they don't make 'em like that anymore" although it's not a game I would really want to play in 2016. I don't have much hope that Mass Effect Andromeda is going to make a magical 180 and start being more of an RPG and less of a cover shooter and I can't really think of many other games trying to be really great, stat driven yet modern playing RPG's. Despite all the negativity surrounding it, Inquisition was actually a pretty decent take on this sort of game with modern mechanics. They didn't get all of it right, but man Origins wasn't exactly perfect either. Hopefully the team behind Inquisition is given another chance to make a full sequel where they can address some of the shortcomings of that first foray into nextgen.

Avatar image for anonymous_jesse
    Anonymous_Jesse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Anonymous_Jesse

Origins is so damn good. Which is probably why I played all of 2 and Inquisition and also why I hate 2 and Inquisition.

Darth_Navster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Darth_Navster

@humanity: Pillars of Eternity, Divinty: Original Sin, and Wasteland 2 might be what you're looking for with regards to modern stat-driven RPGs. Sure, they lack the AAA polish of a Bioware title but on the whole they're quite well designed (full disclosure: I've only dabbled with, but not finished, the aforementioned titles).

@arbitrarywater said:

Origins is the first Bioware game that was published after their acquisition by EA... which explains the rotten DLC tactics.

While EA has in the past done some sketchy stuff with DLC, I'll have to give them credit for not mucking about with Inquisition's DLC rollout. All of the DLC are worth the price of admission and they don't make the base game feel incomplete. Plus, they seemed to have stopped the practice of holding back party members as paid content. We'll see with Mass Effect Andromeda if this is the new normal, but so far they've adopted a more equitable and player friendly DLC strategy.

@do_the_manta_ray said:

.. Did you just write an entire paragraph dissing Shale? Shame on you, you pigeon lover. Shame.

Indeed I did. In fact, I went ahead and stuck the Uncrushable Pigeon on that sad pile of rocks!

Seriously though, Shale is alright. I just didn't have much use for her since my character was already a tank and you don't need more than one of those in a party.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

A) Shale is not a tank. Shale is a hybrid, with multiple stances for different roles. You can even use Shale as a healer, too, for less difficult fights which is nice because the game's actual healer is boring.
    B) Zaeed Messani is the best character in all of Mass Effect aside from Garrus.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Humanity

@darth_navster: Those games, with maybe the exception of Divinity, aren't what I would call modern. They are made in very much the style of classic RPG's the likes of Baldurs Gate or classic Fallout. I'm thinking a game like Mass Effect or even Inquisition, except with the oldschool lean towards strategic combat and deep dialog options. The polish aspect is exactly what I have a problem with actually. The dream is to play a huge triple A game, graphics and all, but mechanics that aren't made to appeal to the lowest common denominator. I imagine a game that would look like the Witcher 3 while the combat played out something like modern X-COM - move away from the isometric perspective and stiffly animated sprites. In a way modern Fallout or Skyrim is a very light shade of this, but they are both games that lack that depth those oldschool titles had.

That said I am interested in seeing how that new Torment game turns out. I thought I would really get into Pillars of Eternity but after the Quick Look it just looked a little more dated than I would prefer.

EDIT: I played through Origins with two tanks and two mages, it was great. Every battle felt like a football (American) game where my front tanks rushed forward created a roadblock and my mages in the back hurled spells (usually a combination of mass paralysis and sleep)

Darth_Navster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A) Shale is not a tank. Shale is a hybrid, with multiple stances for different roles. You can even use Shale as a healer, too, for less difficult fights which is nice because the game's actual healer is boring.

B) Zaeed Messani is the best character in all of Mass Effect aside from Garrus.

A) Shale is quite flexible, that's true, but I find her most effective as a tank/bruiser. Yeah she can heal, but she can't hold a candle to Wynne in that regard. Plus, I'm a sucker for mages with the Arcane Warrior specialization so I almost always rolled with Morrigan and Wynne in full armor and swords. That left me with a need for a rogue to manage traps and locks so I alternated Leiliana and Zevran for my fourth spot.

B) Now you're just talking crazy.

EthanielRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Every time I go back to Origins I tell myself I'm going to finish it all, but never do. Think I've finished the main game 3 times and have barely touched the DLC. There's just soooo much of it, always get burnt out.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

@humanity said:

@darth_navster: Those games, with maybe the exception of Divinity, aren't what I would call modern. They are made in very much the style of classic RPG's the likes of Baldurs Gate or classic Fallout. I'm thinking a game like Mass Effect or even Inquisition, except with the oldschool lean towards strategic combat and deep dialog options. The polish aspect is exactly what I have a problem with actually. The dream is to play a huge triple A game, graphics and all, but mechanics that aren't made to appeal to the lowest common denominator. I imagine a game that would look like the Witcher 3 while the combat played out something like modern X-COM - move away from the isometric perspective and stiffly animated sprites. In a way modern Fallout or Skyrim is a very light shade of this, but they are both games that lack that depth those oldschool titles had.

For as much as I would love a hardcore CRPG with some AAA production values, I don't think that's going to happen anytime soon. I also don't think the target audience for those games (myself included) necessarily cares so much about modernization. At this point you're either on board with the Bioware/Bethesda model of mass-market RPGs with watered-down mechanics and action-y combat or you're totally in favor of isometric perspectives, turn-based combat, lower budgets and some of the caveats that come from crowdfunding. There's not really a middle ground.

I will say that there's a definite range between all of the recent crowdfunded throwback RPGs in terms of the bullshit from old-school RPGs that is left in or adjusted in some way. Wasteland 2 is an okay game, but it would be a much better one if it didn't feel the need to adhere to some of the more tedious elements of the games that inspired it (like say, an abundance of percentage-based skill checks with a meter that has to visibly fill every time you attempt a check), while Pillars of Eternity has some fun stuff like a speed up button that seems well-geared for when your party is running from one end of the map to the other.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arbitrarywater: Oh yah I totally have no illusions about the possibility of an oldschool RPG in new digs. This will probably never happen but I can dream. I'm one of those people that appreciate and love those older games, but I just can't and quite frankly don't want to go back to them. So many exciting new things on the horizon that I just don't want to move backwards. Not saying it's bad or others shouldn't just that I can't so I'm selfishly hoping for this impossible game to get made one day (it also has to be cyberpunky, just to ensure it will never ever happen).

Pierre42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dragon Age Origins was the best RPG Bioware have had a hand in that I know of. I mean...it's not that the others are bad as such but I just wish they would do more like this. It's been a long time since I've played an RPG quite as wondrous as that one.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.