Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Origins

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Nov 03, 2009

Dragon Age: Origins is an epic fantasy role-playing game featuring a rich story, personality-driven characters, and tactical, bloody combat. It is considered a spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate series.

Urn of Andraste (SPOILERS)

Avatar image for deactivated-6204297b0c601
    deactivated-6204297b0c601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

So last night I got the I finished the Urn of Andraste quest and defeated the High Dragon...holy crap!  That thing was orders of magnitude harder than anything I'd seen so far.  In terms of big story quests I've completed the Mage's Circle and Arl of Redcliff stuff, but haven't gotten the elves or dwarves on my side yet.  Anyone who's played a bit more, is the dragon an indication of what I can expect from here on out, or is it more of a singularly badass encounter? 

For that matter, does anyone know if the game scales to your level?  I feel like it must, since, aside from the dragon, I haven't come across anything drastically stronger than my party.
    Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Turambar
    yani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By yani

I think my game bugged out or something because I completed that quest and never had that fight.  It just sat on the ledge and roared every now and then. Very disappointing...

Shiftshaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Shiftshaper
    @yani said:
    "I think my game bugged out or something because I completed that quest and never had that fight.  It just sat on the ledge and roared every now and then. Very disappointing... "
    You had to use the blowhorn you got frm that cult leaders corpse. That would summon him. I couldnt beat the dragon though, WAY too tough. Maybe I'll try again when im a much higer level, but that dragon wiped my party in under a minute everytime.
    Galbrezu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Galbrezu
    @yani: 
     The dragon is optional, blow the horn on the mountaintop and he'll come and kill you.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ah, cool, I didn't realize it was optional.  Feeeling pretty damned proud of slaying now.
    yani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By yani

Never saw a horn...Hope he is still there so I can pound on him...or more likely die a swift and painful death.

Galbrezu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Galbrezu
    @yani: 
    You get the horn off the knight you have to kill prior to going up to the mountaintop, as i recall he had a decent axe Sten is now using.
    maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By maxszy

I don't even remember getting the horn to have even the option to take down the dragon. I just killed Kolgrim or whatever that crazy cult leader's name was.

yani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By yani

@Maxszy said:

" I don't even remember getting the horn to have even the option to take down the dragon. I just killed Kolgrim or whatever that crazy cult leader's name was. "

Maybe you have to side with Kolgrim and against the Guardian to get the horn?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't get a horn either, but there's a gong on the side of the path that will bring the dragon down.  Dragons hate gongs.  Fact.
    Ebisch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Ebisch
    @Gooddoggy said:
    " I didn't get a horn either, but there's a gong on the side of the path that will bring the dragon down.  Dragons hate gongs.  Fact. "
    Or you can just hit the dragon with ranged/magic attacks.
    maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By maxszy
    @yani said:
    "  @Maxszy said:

" I don't even remember getting the horn to have even the option to take down the dragon. I just killed Kolgrim or whatever that crazy cult leader's name was. "

Maybe you have to side with Kolgrim and against the Guardian to get the horn? "
    Ahh perhaps. I definitely didn't do that.
    CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#14  Edited By CenturionCajun

In the console version there is a gong while in the PC version there is a horn you get off Kolgrim.

I tried to take on the dragon but it destroyed me pretty easily. I'll come back to take it out when I hit level 20.

Galbrezu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Galbrezu
    @Maxszy said:
    " @yani said:
    "  @Maxszy said:

Maybe you have to side with Kolgrim and against the Guardian to get the horn? "
    Ahh perhaps. I definitely didn't do that. "
    Definitely not, I killed everything in that place and got the horn. Thinking back though I remember I went off to a side room in the same area Kolgrim was in, had to fight a mage on a pedestal and a bunch of drakes. In the room right after that was some dragon eggs or something. I MIGHT have gotten it in there.
    dhlt25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By dhlt25
    @Galbrezu: nope you got it from the cult leader but you don't have to side with him, just kill him and loot his corpse.
    Teran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By Teran
    @dhlt25 said:
    " @Galbrezu: nope you got it from the cult leader but you don't have to side with him, just kill him and loot his corpse. "
    This is how I got the horn as well (looting Kolgrim's corpse).
    guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18  Edited By guiseppe

It feels like the game scales. It would pretty much have to. And yeah, that dragon was instant death at level... 14-ish or so I think, but at level 18-ish it was a breeze.

Xenos_19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Xenos_19

Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 14

#20  Edited By Lies
    @yani: It's a gong on the console version if you're playing that.
    knapkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By knapkin
    I don't know, this was certainly not the most difficult fight.  I beat it the first time with 3 party members all level 14.  Details inside spoiler tag.   
    veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#22  Edited By veektarius

I think DAO's boss fights were pretty good overall, but few and far between.  There are especially few boss fights with creatures the size of the dragons, and that particular dragon fight was an optional boss.

threeve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By threeve

Hmm a 3 month old thread....

I tried the dragon last night on the way to the urn.  Might have been OK if I could have kept Sten alive, but he kept dying - probably to tail sweeps or something (actually he got the bite and chew and swing around the second time, managing hostility is still confusing to me in some cases).  Anyway, I only tried the dragon maybe twice before going ahead to the urn.  I saved on the way out, and I'll try it again tonight.  Healing through the dragon's damage wasn't so bad, I just wasn't doing enough damage to it.  Also it might be a threat issue that my PC (tank) is still using about a tier 3 sword while Sten is hitting with that axe off Kolgrim.  Not sure....

endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By endaround

Yusaris man, Yusaris.  Anyway you can leave the dragon and come back later anytime before the Landsmeet

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#25  Edited By AndrewB
    @threeve said:

" Hmm a 3 month old thread....  I tried the dragon last night on the way to the urn.  Might have been OK if I could have kept Sten alive, but he kept dying - probably to tail sweeps or something (actually he got the bite and chew and swing around the second time, managing hostility is still confusing to me in some cases).  Anyway, I only tried the dragon maybe twice before going ahead to the urn.  I saved on the way out, and I'll try it again tonight.  Healing through the dragon's damage wasn't so bad, I just wasn't doing enough damage to it.  Also it might be a threat issue that my PC (tank) is still using about a tier 3 sword while Sten is hitting with that axe off Kolgrim.  Not sure.... "

A general guide to killing dragons: Make sure you've got a mage with all of the hex spells. Vulnerability, misdirection, and death hex the dragon as much as you can. Have an archer in the background constantly pumping your best arrows into it (best to have some Ranger ability so that you can summon an animal to soak up damage). Have one melee guy trying to draw attention as much as possible. The last member is up to your discretion. I'd suggest a dedicated healer, myself.

When your melee guy is taking heavy damage, throw up a force field spell and hope that the dragon continues to attack him despite not being able to harm him. Keep downing lyrium potions (you can get literally hundreds of them for dirt-cheap if you find the right vendors selling lyrium dust) as necessary. When your hexing mage isn't needed for hexing, switch over to either ranged attacks or whatever other spells you may have that actually affect the dragon (or, if it's your healer, keep healing).

For this dragon, specifically, I had to alter my strategy a little bit because he would keep running after my mage, regardless of any taunting and high threat levels of my fighter. There are two ways to sort of cheap your way through it, though. There's apparently a gazeebo further back in the map that you can hide in. I also discovered the exact spots that the dragon would fly off to if you ran away from him, and used the fact that it takes him awhile to launch off the ground to pummel him with every available weapon before he was gone, running away from the spot I knew he was going to land, and repeating the process until he was dead. It was the only way for me to win since he inexplicably wouldn't leave my mage alone. The only option I had was to run away...
    Frederik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#26  Edited By Frederik

Frost cone, frost cone, frost cone, dead :)

Yodasdarkside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Yodasdarkside

Having Wade's armour equipped will help a bit with the dragon fights.  The kill animation is indeed great for dragons, especially if it's litttle Ogrhen delivering the final blow, but I prefer the Rogue on Ogre kill animation.
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#28  Edited By AndrewB
    @Yodasdarkside: For some reason it always ends up being Alistair for me.

No Caption Provided
    threeve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By threeve

Sten got my killing blow I guess.  It only took me two tries last night with a level 13 party.  PC tank, sten, wynne, leliana.  Really the biggest difference was using pots more frequently, though I was a little more careful about keeping Sten alive on the kill.  He dies so much... I didn't even have to revive him this time though.  Now to pay another visit to Flemeth...

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#30  Edited By Captain_Insano
    @Veektarius: yes the game handles those fairly well. Remember fighting the Ogre at the top of the Tower at Ostagar. That was like an 'oh crap' kind of fight and the first finishing move you see. Then later in the game you have numerous ogres fighting you at once. I think it was pretty good how they did that to make you realise how much stronger you had become
    skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#31  Edited By skrutop

The High Dragon is not indicative of the level of difficulty of the other quests.  That fight is one of the hardest in the game.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#32  Edited By Gabriel

After summoning it I tried to run away, but it flew after me and landed on me causing my demise, Flemeth was tough even on Fucking casual, that game is hard.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By LiquidPrince

I killed both Flemeth and the Andraste dragon at level 12 on my first playthrough as a female human noble warrior, but I created a new charater once I found out that as a female, I couldn't romance Morrigan. I now plan on beating the game as a male noble human warrior, and then going back to my female for the romancing Leliana and Alistair trophies.

veiledmuffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 18

#34  Edited By veiledmuffin

I just used Taunt on my Warrior, then I'd Force Field him with one of my Mages (I had two). I could pretty much keep it up the entire fight inbetween Taunts.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.