Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Origins

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Nov 03, 2009

Dragon Age: Origins is an epic fantasy role-playing game featuring a rich story, personality-driven characters, and tactical, bloody combat. It is considered a spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate series.

Why exactly are there not any origin specific party members?

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By LordXavierBritish

A few spoilers here, minor ones.

Now, I haven't played all the way through the game with each of the origins but i have played them all; frankly this just seems like an oversight. 

The human origin tries to do this a bit, and it really added something to the experience to have the Mabari come with me as opposed to just finding him on the friggin' road.

Gorim and Jowan are a bit too obvious as each has basically been exiled just like you and it isn't like they have that much else to do. There is really no excuse that either couldn't come with you, especially Jowan who is probably going to die anyway.  Even if Eamon was going to give him over to the Circle, if you destroyed it at that point in the game it could still work.

I dunno, it is just something that has been bothering me ever since I completed the Dwarf Noble story and realized that that dude is the dude what is in Denerim.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By atejas

The bit where you ask Jowan to follow you and he refuses felt really forced.
    Especially considering I was a mage too.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By ryanwho

That would require more work from them. They create the illusion of choice and consequence when you're really on a binary fork path.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By MrKlorox

DAO seems like one of those games that would benefit greatly from a dedicated community of modders to fan-patch the game into its ultimate form. 

Arcanum, TOEE, VTM Bloodlines, Stalker SOC, and many more have been made better by such

Aeterna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Aeterna

The Jowan bit is a good point, I did everything I could possibly do to help that guy, but never got anything in return. at all.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#6  Edited By AndrewB
    @atejas said:
    " The bit where you ask Jowan to follow you and he refuses felt really forced. Especially considering I was a mage too. "
    They originally intended him to be a joinable party member, but they decided against it at some point in development. It does suck, because I really liked him, and I thought it would have made a lot of sense for him to join you.
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By LordXavierBritish
    @AndrewB: It also would have made learning Blood Magic a lot easier.
    Dark_Jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Dark_Jon

I haven't played the Dwarf Noble Origin yet but I've also heard a lot of people are upset because you cant become the king/queen. You'd really think if they had a time to do separate origins, they would also have separate parts in the main story connected to those origins. All they give you are a few lines extra dialogue, it's disappointing.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By atejas
    @Dark_Jon said:
    lot of people are upset because you cant become the king/queen.
    I heard you could in the epilogue.
    Dark_Jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Dark_Jon

That's weird, you choose Harrowmont or Bhelen and then become the king/queen later? If that's true that voids all the crap you had to do for them. Why help someone so much if you're just going to replace them in the next 3 days?

LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Dark_Jon said:

" That's weird, you choose Harrowmont or Bhelen and then become the king/queen later? If that's true that voids all the crap you had to do for them. Why help someone so much if you're just going to replace them in the next 3 days? "

You can become the Queen of Ferelden with Alistair/Anora if you play the Human Noble origin as a female.

I don't think you can become the King/Queen of Orzammar though. You do however become a Paragon, which could lead to King/Queenhood later down the road.

EDIT: I looked into it, and if you side with Harrowmont and do the Dwarf Noble origin then he names you as his heir.
    meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By meteora

Probably because if someone plays a certain origin; they'll be missing out on some other characters that are only specific in other origins. There are some people who don't play it through more than once; whether the reason is that they've rented it, they find it tedious, their disc broke, they don't have enough time or that they can't seem to play it more than once (I had this problem with GTA IV and Fable II). Certain players also might not like how you have to play a certain origin to go about with those party members; because some can become pretty attached to a party member.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By AndrewB
    @LordXavierBritish: So much for me becoming Queen, then. I'm a mage : (

(Yeah, I'm already fairly certain what's in store for me from what I've seen on the forums).
    Shiftshaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Shiftshaper

Yeah, when I was playing my Noble dwarf  I was toked when I saw Gorim in Denerim, I thought he would surely join my party again. 

Gorim: My lord is that you? I'm still loyal to you and stuff, I hope you are doing well! 
    Me: Join me and together we will take revenge to Bhelen! 
    Gorim: Ummmm....yeeeeaaah, about that. I hurt my leg. Sorry.
    biggblack86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By biggblack86

its a damn good question. each origin has a best bro archtype of sorts that rolls with you.. and is then ripped and raped away from you. but a fan-patch isnt such a bad idea.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#16  Edited By ArbitraryWater
    @AndrewB said:
    " @atejas said:
    " The bit where you ask Jowan to follow you and he refuses felt really forced. Especially considering I was a mage too. "
    They originally intended him to be a joinable party member, but they decided against it at some point in development. It does suck, because I really liked him, and I thought it would have made a lot of sense for him to join you. "
    I agree with this. If there was one thing that I could change about DA:O it would be the party setup. There are only two mages and two rouges you can recruit, with the rest being warrior types (and only two of those warriors being viable for tanking). I think that Jowan could have filled the gap between Morrigan (Blaster Caster) and Wynne (Heal+Buff). Also it would make Blood Magic less of a pain to learn.
    VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By VisariLoyalist

because you already bought it.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By AndrewB
    @ArbitraryWater said:
    " @AndrewB said:
    " @atejas said:
    They originally intended him to be a joinable party member, but they decided against it at some point in development. It does suck, because I really liked him, and I thought it would have made a lot of sense for him to join you. "
    I agree with this. If there was one thing that I could change about DA:O it would be the party setup. There are only two mages and two rouges you can recruit, with the rest being warrior types (and only two of those warriors being viable for tanking). I think that Jowan could have filled the gap between Morrigan (Blaster Caster) and Wynne (Heal+Buff). Also it would make Blood Magic less of a pain to learn. "
    That's what I thought, too. When I first met Jowan in the tower on my first playthrough, I though he must be the guy I learn Blood Magic from. I tried everything to get him to join me, and it seemed really odd when he didn't. Not only would it make sense from a role-playing standpoint (he's an interesting, recurring character), but from a game balance standpoint, as well (he would be the Blood Mage of the group, and, yes, there are very few options for mages unless you chose to choose to play a mage, yourself).

That, or they should have included a specific Arcane Warrior-built NPC.
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#19  Edited By Yummylee

I thought the exact same thing, especially with Gorim. He was such an awesome character with non other than Wolverine voicing the basterd!! Or...well...his most reaccuring voice actor Steve Blum. Still Ohgren will have to do, and he too is voiced by Blum so its easier to cope with.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.