Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Nov 27, 2004

The eighth main entry in the Dragon Quest franchise. It was the first game in the series to utilize a full 3D environment and featured a cel-shaded graphics style which would become standard for all future games in the franchise.

Just bought this on Amazon, is it any good?

Feanor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Feanor

I've had a real itch to play a good, classic JRPG, so just now I bought Dragon Quest 8 on Amazon for only 5 bucks. I'm just wondering how good of a game is it, and what I can expect from it. 

danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2  Edited By danielkempster

If it's a good, classic JRPG you're looking for, I think you've picked up one of the best. The game certainly has that classic feel to it, and it's an incredibly lengthy experience, so at $5 you're definitely getting your money's worth. One thing I will say is that the game seems markedly more difficult than other JRPGs released at the same time, but I suspect this is an intentional design choice to reflect the game's old-school tendencies. I hope you enjoy your time with it :)

Djeffers03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Djeffers03

Shouldn't you have asked this before you bought it?

ATrevelan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By ATrevelan

Oh my god, yes. It's awesome. It's a really interesting mix between your traditional Dragon Quest games and Level-5's stuff (the developer). I played it right after I went through Rogue Galaxy, made by the same developer, and I found DQ8 a little more archaic by comparison, but still totally awesome. 

And I got it for 40 bucks, so it's an absolute steal at 5.

Feanor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Feanor
    @Djeffers03: It was only 5 bucks, its not like its a big risk. 

@dankempster: It being a more difficult RPG sounds good to me. It seems like RPGs from the PS2 on have been a little to easy. Especially FFX. 

@ATrevelan: I've never played a Dragon Quest game before, but I have always liked the art style. What kind of things is the franchise known for?
    ATrevelan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By ATrevelan
    @Feanor: The turn based battle system and many of the game's enemies are mainstays--slimes, for example. Lots of other games are turn based, but I've always associated it with DQ more than anything else; I'm not always a big fan, but DQ does it right. 

The two big turnoffs for me were the random encounters and silent protagonist. I think those 2 things should have disappeared from RPGs ten years ago.
    Djeffers03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Djeffers03
    @Feanor: Ah ok.
    Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Steve_C

I played it a couple of years ago, and was my first DQ. It's a well produced game with traditional mechanics. Grinding is required. Looks and sounds quite nice, and has a charm to it.

I found the characters to be mostly lacklustre with a couple of exceptions, but they're still all shallow and hard to care about. Story was pretty boring and predictable. It's too lighthearted for it's own good. It doesn't really get dark and there's never a sense of urgency, so it's hard to get engaged at any point.

Overall, it's mechanically sound, but character and story-wise, Final Fantasy IV did a better job back in 1991. It's servicable if you need something to kill time, and it will take up a lot of time. I just don't understand why a few people hold it in such regard.

EDIT: I also decided not to bother touching the series again, unless there's any significant change at some point.

Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By TheMustacheHero

Dragon Quest 9 is sooooooooo much better. But, whatever.

MajorToms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MajorToms

Loved this game. The last quarter of the game might be one of my favorite things ever. I don't want to spoil it, but if you're into this kind of game and the graphics don't turn you off, it's definitely worth your time.

JamesBoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By JamesBoyce

It's the best RPG of the decade.

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#12  Edited By Driadon
    @Steve_C said:

" I played it a couple of years ago, and was my first DQ. It's a well produced game with traditional mechanics. Grinding is required. Looks and sounds quite nice, and has a charm to it.

I found the characters to be mostly lacklustre with a couple of exceptions, but they're still all shallow and hard to care about. Story was pretty boring and predictable. It's too lighthearted for it's own good. It doesn't really get dark and there's never a sense of urgency, so it's hard to get engaged at any point.

Overall, it's mechanically sound, but character and story-wise, Final Fantasy IV did a better job back in 1991. It's servicable if you need something to kill time, and it will take up a lot of time. I just don't understand why a few people hold it in such regard.  EDIT: I also decided not to bother touching the series again, unless there's any significant change at some point. "

Dragon Quest games tend to be really really light on story, period. Heck, one of the reasons why it's such a classic series is because it keeps that old-school focus on the game and not the story. 

And DQ8 was great. If you like a classic RPG with some grinding and charm, you can't get much better.
    Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By Steve_C
    @Driadon:  If there's nothing interesting mechanically, then I at least want a half-decent story or anything else interesting. I need something to take away from the experience, especially considering all the hours you invest into that game.

With DQ, I was certainly absorbed in playing it at points, but after I finished it and looked back I was just thinking "I didn't need to play that". At the same time, I was glad to finally experience the series and have it in my 'library of knowledge' as a gamer, but it's not for me and I don't see the appeal. It felt like it was just going through the motions, and there wasn't anything meaningful to be garnered.
    Feanor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Feanor
    @MajorToms: Well I did like DBZ a lot when I was younger, so I'm cool with the graphics. 

@Steve_C:  Well I'm not expecting something amazing, just a time killer. All the con's you listed are really not to big of a deal since I only paid 5 bucks. 

@TheMustacheHero: If I had a DS I'd probably get it. The only thing about that game that bothers me, is that you create all your characters. When I play a JRPG I like to see a lot of character interaction and development.
    SpiralStairs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By SpiralStairs

I have a copy in my living room, but I've never touched it. I don't mind the difficulty or the traditional turn-based combat, as that's what I like in a good RPG. But the story doesn't seem all that interesting, and I'd probably stop playing halfway through.

Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By TheMustacheHero
    @Feanor said:
    " @MajorToms: Well I did like DBZ a lot when I was younger, so I'm cool with the graphics. 

@Steve_C:  Well I'm not expecting something amazing, just a time killer. All the con's you listed are really not to big of a deal since I only paid 5 bucks. 

@TheMustacheHero: If I had a DS I'd probably get it. The only thing about that game that bothers me, is that you create all your characters. When I play a JRPG I like to see a lot of character interaction and development. "
    There still is a lot of character interaction, mainly between you and this fairy that you meet (Who's IMO the best character in the game). Your party members are basically bodyguards to help you take down monsters. They never talk and are never mentioned, but they are needed in order to beat the game.
    Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#17  Edited By Driadon
    @Steve_C: I can understand. Heck, it's one of the reasons why I find aspects of JRPG's so interesting: some people like story-heavy games that feel meaningful, others think that the story just gets in the way of the game itself and enjoy a light hearted combat system; which almost sound like ying and yang. 
    liako21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By liako21

damn the last couple of boss fights are hard....very hard compared to the rest of the game personally.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.