Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon's Crown

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Jul 25, 2013

From Vanillaware Ltd., developers of Muramasa: The Demon Blade and Odin Sphere, Dragon's Crown is a fantasy themed co-op beat-'em-up.

Import or wait for EU release?

ColonelRick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ColonelRick

So after my recent thread on the apparent EU release date in October, I find myself doubting whether I should wait for it or buy an import version. The price difference would be about €4 ( the store taking pre-orders for the import has it priced at €49, instead of the €44,99 I spotted for the EU veraion) I know the game - the US version at least- will get some DLC in the form of a voice pack, which I don't really care about. Any more substantial DLC might push me to wait till october, however.

What say you, duders?

Jaktajj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I totally imported because I've been pretty excited to play this game for a while. It's the closest thing to a 'new 2d castlevania' (which are among my favorite games ever) that has come out in a long time.

mwng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a lose lose situation really.

Import it now, and show NIS there isn't a demand for this type of game in Europe, as everyone with an interest already imported it.

Or buy it much later when it actually releases in Europe, and show publishers you don't mind paying more and waiting longer than the rest of the world.

Doesn't appear to be any more DLC hinted at other than the voice packs you mentioned, so I'd say an import was pretty safe if you've got nothing to fill the time between now and October with.

Vanek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Vanek

I'm going to import it. I generally don't import games but in this case it makes sense for me. If I end up really liking it I might buy a copy in October to support them.

The sad fact is I just don't have as much time or desire to play through games anymore and I need to plan things out. This month is Saints Row, September is GTA V and Soul Hackers and October is Pokemon and Wind Waker. I'm also assuming at some point this year they'll release SMTIV here so I'll have to find time for that too.

I have nothing going right now really until Saints Row so importing Dragons Crown makes sense for me. I really hope when Atlus is bought this gets sorted, I really do.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

#5  Edited By audioBusting
    @mwng said:

It's a lose lose situation really.

Import it now, and show NIS there isn't a demand for this type of game in Europe, as everyone with an interest already imported it.

Or buy it much later when it actually releases in Europe, and show publishers you don't mind paying more and waiting longer than the rest of the world.

That's not necessarily true. If the sales show promising numbers, they might care enough to at least try getting EU releases early to cut that possible opportunity cost. Then again, none of us work at NIS/Atlus so what do we know.

I don't mind waiting and I want the digital version, so I'm going to wait it out. There won't be much players in the region for smooth multiplayer anyway.

lord_canti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By lord_canti

amazon uk has it down for October but that is probably a holder date. but as some one who has imported the metal gear collection in the past CROSS PLAY DOES NOT WORK BETWEEN REGIONS if you ever get a cheap copy of the vita version you cannot bring your save from the ps3 version. you might not have a vita this may not matter to you but its a extra fact for you to consider

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It looks cool but if the dickheads can't be bothered to publish the game day and date, then I really can't give a shit either, do you know what I mean? It's a cool looking beat em up but importing? No way Jose, it's hardly a Demon's Souls caliber game. Also, it's not cheap for what it is.

ColonelRick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ColonelRick

amazon uk has it down for October but that is probably a holder date. but as some one who has imported the metal gear collection in the past CROSS PLAY DOES NOT WORK BETWEEN REGIONS if you ever get a cheap copy of the vita version you cannot bring your save from the ps3 version. you might not have a vita this may not matter to you but its a extra fact for you to consider

The site I mentioned in a previous thread (sort of like the Dutch Amazon) also has it down for an October release date. I forgot the exact date, but it doesn't seem that unrealistic to me.

It looks cool but if the dickheads can't be bothered to publish the game day and date, then I really can't give a shit either, do you know what I mean? It's a cool looking beat em up but importing? No way Jose, it's hardly a Demon's Souls caliber game. Also, it's not cheap for what it is.

The thing is, if nobody buys it, they'll have even less incentive to publish in Europe. Muramasa Rebirth is still not out in EU territories either. It's frustrating. Sony could easily take up publishing duties for this kind of title (i.e. for whatever reason not published in a certain territory) or put the English language version out on PSN, but it just doesn't happen...

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
    alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whichever one has bigger boobs.

ervonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I imported both versions and Muramasa: Rebirth. It's hard to care about PAL releases of region free games after the P4:A.. incident, and I'll eat my Muramasa lithograph if it comes with an artbook or has any kind of promotion.

ColonelRick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ColonelRick

@ervonymous said:

I imported both versions and Muramasa: Rebirth. It's hard to care about PAL releases of region free games after the P4:A.. incident, and I'll eat my Muramasa lithograph if it comes with an artbook or has any kind of promotion.

I've never played Persona games. What kind of incident are you referring to?

EDIT: NVM. You were talking about it being region locked both physically and digitally, right?

mwng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@colonelrick: It was the first region locked PS3 game, so those of us with European PS3s... Well, I'll let the release dates speak for themselves.

US: August 7, 2012

EU: May 10, 2013

Some of us were really looking forward to it too...

tatsuyarr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By tatsuyarr

I've just imported both Muramasa Rebirth and Dragon's Crown and why not. The announced price on Amazon.fr is at least €10 more per game (if Muramasa is ever released) and I'm not even talking of the late release date. At least during the Dreamcast era importing was so expensive you had to think twice before doing it but now it's even cheaper than official release.

ervonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ervonymous
    @colonelrick said:

NVM. You were talking about it being region locked both physically and digitally, right?

Yup, just that. I did buy it eventually but only because I still wanted to play it, not because I wanted to show whoever that there's interest for the niche games they publish. I used to think that way but it got old and led nowhere. Looking at you, Etrian Odysseys 2 and 3.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I suspect at least the Vita version will eventually be on PS+ in the US; and it seems that both Europe and the US eventually cycle around to having the same games.

NecroMongo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@el_tajij said:

I totally imported because I've been pretty excited to play this game for a while. It's the closest thing to a 'new 2d castlevania' (which are among my favorite games ever) that has come out in a long time.

How is this anything like a "new 2d castlevania"?

ColonelRick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I suspect at least the Vita version will eventually be on PS+ in the US; and it seems that both Europe and the US eventually cycle around to having the same games.

The problem is the language barrier(s) in Europe. Northwestern European countries (UK, NL, Scandinavia) have no issue playing English-only versions of games, but usually get shafted because a lot of publishers will release only one EU version, which has to take 7-8 different languages into account. Sony does this as well, digitally. They could easily release what is essentially the NA version in the aforementioned countries, which would take very little work, but they just don't...

Avatar image for rockhardrooster
    rockhardrooster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mwng: Dunno if I misunderstood you, but Persona 4 Arena was the first region-locked game on the PS3. Funny story; I bought P4A from the US PSN, and I have a EU PS3. The game was not out digitally in EU but was in stores, but I was all "I ain't going to no store, fuck that" (also the digital Ultimate Edition comes with all DLC etc etc)

Sure enough, it let me buy it and install it without even MENTIONING any region lock. And when I try to start it "Dude, wrong region" shows up. Thanks, Sony, for drawing attention to that fact before letting me pay 50 dollars or whatever for the game.

In the end I had to talk to support like three times. First I told them the truth and they were all "Not our territory, talk to EU support" and they in turn said "you're breaking the rules, so we can't help you". Then I hit them up again and told the lady "I just moved to the US!" and got a refund. Moral of the story: lying is good.

Anyway, as for importing this game... Now that we're on PS3 I'm not so sure, but I remember that Odin Sphere was updated with some stuff when it came to EU territories. For example it had a better framerate overall (was criticized for it in US reviews, never saw any slowdown in my game) and still supported 60hz, so it was the superior version then. Now on PS3 they could technically patch that in, but dude, it's a Japanese dev and publisher, who knows what they'd do.

ervonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ervonymous

The problem is the language barrier(s) in Europe. Northwestern European countries (UK, NL, Scandinavia) have no issue playing English-only versions of games, but usually get shafted because a lot of publishers will release only one EU version, which has to take 7-8 different languages into account. Sony does this as well, digitally. They could easily release what is essentially the NA version in the aforementioned countries, which would take very little work, but they just don't...

Not only that, but for example NIS America hasn't been able to release any DLC in Scandinavia and other territories after Sony changed their policies - they now want the publisher to localize all the fine print and PSN stuff surrounding everything from avatars to full-blown DLC for every country it's being sold in, even though the end user never gets to see it. It's a menial task but they don't have enough staff.

Ridiculous 's what it is.

Anyway, as for importing this game... Now that we're on PS3 I'm not so sure, but I remember that Odin Sphere was updated with some stuff when it came to EU territories. For example it had a better framerate overall (was criticized for it in US reviews, never saw any slowdown in my game) and still supported 60hz, so it was the superior version then. Now on PS3 they could technically patch that in, but dude, it's a Japanese dev and publisher, who knows what they'd do.

The slowdowns were fixed for the NA PSN release, they probably used a part of the EU build. Interestingly enough the PS2 Classics aren't region locked, I played both Odin Sphere and GrimGrimoire on a European PS3 and still neither is available on the EU store.

Avatar image for rockhardrooster
    rockhardrooster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The slowdowns were fixed for the NA PSN release, they probably used a part of the EU build. Interestingly enough the PS2 Classics aren't region locked, I played both Odin Sphere and GrimGrimoire on a European PS3 and still neither is available on the EU store.

Aye. I buy most of my stuff from the US PSN store, mostly because it's cheaper. Really grinds my goddamn gears that NOTHING is region locked except P4A, and they don't bother to tell you. grumble

Also the selection is just much better there. One thing that really does matter though is PS1 games (and ps2 games in the EU store as far as I know) - those fuckers are still 50hz PAL-locked. I'd recommend getting the US version for any europeans out there, to get the good fucking version. God damnit, Sony.

Jaktajj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By Jaktajj

@necromongo said:

@el_tajij said:

How is this anything like a "new 2d castlevania"?

A sidescrolling loot-based/skil-based RPG in an awesome 2D artstyle. A faux-open world feel (Faux-pen world?!!). Characters fighting monsters based on mythology. Stuff like that.

The games that Dragon's Crown reminds me of are SOTN and the GBA/DS Castlevania games. I'm pretty thankful that Vanillaware has made a game like this because it seems Konami has abandoned them. i hope this game really sells well!

Edit: Also, got my copy today and IT'S FUCKING INCREDIBLE!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.