Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

E3 2012

Concept »

The 2012 Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) took place at the Los Angeles Convention Center in Los Angeles, California on June 5-7.

And This Is E3

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

Edited By jeff
    Some other trade show.
    Some other trade show.

OK, I've got five days of clothes packed. Actually, I've decided to bring a sixth pair of socks and an extra pair of underwear, just in case things go horribly wrong in Los Angeles. I went out today and bought some overly-expensive portable charging brick that I can use to keep my iPhone running for a full day of actual use. I'm staring at myself in the mirror a lot and attempting to psych myself up. All of this can only mean that E3 2012 is upon us.

Excited yet? Some of you are, some aren't. This year could be a bit of a sleeper, with plenty of interesting software and not a lot of noisy hardware oomph backing it up. But shows like that can also set us up for huge announcements, precisely because no one else sees it coming. Either way, I've seen enough of the games that are going to be there next week to know that there are going to be some pretty hot bangers through 2012 and 2013. Some of those bangers I've already played, but I want to make sure that the rest of the guys get a chance to see that stuff. So, with that in mind, we booked an appointment to see XCOM: Enemy Unknown, which was one of the coolest things I've played recently. Hopefully the final version holds up.

I'm also interested in playing Injustice: Gods Among Us, which has a different button configuration than Mortal Kombat, including a dedicated button for background interaction (like the car tossing seen in the trailer). And, of course, there's The Last of Us. The demo I saw was old--from January or so--so I'd expect that there'll be something newer shown during Sony's press conference. And hey, how about Need For Speed: Most Wanted? Sure, it's kind of crazy that they're just reusing the name of a game that also came out on this generation of hardware, but assuming this is an open-world driving game with plenty of police action, and knowing that Criterion is the team behind it, it's certainly made my own personal black list.

Unless Razor Callahan's not in it. In that case, all bets are off. I'm only mostly kidding.

E3 2012: OVER 40 ACRES OF BOATS

E3 2012 begins in earnest on Monday morning, with Microsoft's press conference. From there, it'll be EA, then Ubi, then Sony. After that, there's a Microsoft showcase event that I'll be heading to so we can actually play some of their stuff. The rest of the guys will probably hang out at Sony for a bit, because they usually have kiosks with running games on them. But we won't dawdle there too long. We'll have to get back to our streaming spot and get a live show going so we can talk about the events of the day with a collection of guests. The plan is to get the live show going around 8PM every night, but you know how these things can be. We'll be spread out across LA to see games, and I wouldn't be surprised if we started late here and there.

Tuesday morning starts with Nintendo, which I have to imagine will be the most exciting press conference of the bunch, barring any hosting fiascos at Ubisoft. New hardware rules the day at these things and Nintendo's probably going to be the only guys who have that. After that, the show starts in earnest, and we'll get to the floor and get going. Around 3PM or so on Tuesday, I'll be swinging by GameSpot's second stage to check in with John and say hey.

OK, so, for the press conferences we'll be carrying GameSpot's Twitch.TV channel in our chat room, so you'll be able to congregate there and watch. We'll also keep that up for the duration of the show so you can check out their stage demos, once again chaired by Chris Watters. I've seen the list of games they're booking and it appears that they'll have a pretty good show. At night, we'll shut that business down and swap over to our Twitch channel, which is where the nighttime magic will be happening. If you're into the whole Twitch ecosystem, feel free to head over there and follow our channel. Then you can get emails or mobile alerts or smoke signals whenever we're going live. We'll do four shows, Monday through Thursday. We'll also have Vinny, Drew, Daniel, and Thomas anchoring the rest of our on-floor video pretense, letting us get out there and shoot interviews and... ya know... see stuff at E3.

Three people you are likely to see during this year's broadcast!

Alex and I are the only ones who care about tradition, it seems. I think we're the only two people here who are driving down to LA. That'll happen on Sunday, and we're going to try to live stream as much of it as we can. That requires a few different things to line up, though. First, the Justin.TV app will have to be stable and functioning. If you've tried to watch me and Ryan drive home lately, you know that it's been a bit... spotty? Second, we'll need proper 3G signal between here and Los Angeles. There were a ton of dead spots the last time we tried this, so... we'll see. That'll happen on my own Twitch channel, so... maybe peek in on that once or twice tomorrow and see if we've managed to get it working. I'll probably be posting about that stuff on Twitter, too, so follow that, if you're in the following mood.

That... should be just about it? There are still a handful of things related to equipment and process that I'm sort of sweating, but E3's going to happen whether that stuff gets ironed out or not, right? Wish us luck on that stuff, and assuming that all of our equipment isn't destroyed during E3, hopefully we can get it all back to San Francisco and start thinking about producing things that weren't shot on my ZI8. A novel idea, I know.

See ya on the other side!

XOXO,

Jeff

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#1  Edited By jeff
    Some other trade show.
    Some other trade show.

OK, I've got five days of clothes packed. Actually, I've decided to bring a sixth pair of socks and an extra pair of underwear, just in case things go horribly wrong in Los Angeles. I went out today and bought some overly-expensive portable charging brick that I can use to keep my iPhone running for a full day of actual use. I'm staring at myself in the mirror a lot and attempting to psych myself up. All of this can only mean that E3 2012 is upon us.

Excited yet? Some of you are, some aren't. This year could be a bit of a sleeper, with plenty of interesting software and not a lot of noisy hardware oomph backing it up. But shows like that can also set us up for huge announcements, precisely because no one else sees it coming. Either way, I've seen enough of the games that are going to be there next week to know that there are going to be some pretty hot bangers through 2012 and 2013. Some of those bangers I've already played, but I want to make sure that the rest of the guys get a chance to see that stuff. So, with that in mind, we booked an appointment to see XCOM: Enemy Unknown, which was one of the coolest things I've played recently. Hopefully the final version holds up.

I'm also interested in playing Injustice: Gods Among Us, which has a different button configuration than Mortal Kombat, including a dedicated button for background interaction (like the car tossing seen in the trailer). And, of course, there's The Last of Us. The demo I saw was old--from January or so--so I'd expect that there'll be something newer shown during Sony's press conference. And hey, how about Need For Speed: Most Wanted? Sure, it's kind of crazy that they're just reusing the name of a game that also came out on this generation of hardware, but assuming this is an open-world driving game with plenty of police action, and knowing that Criterion is the team behind it, it's certainly made my own personal black list.

Unless Razor Callahan's not in it. In that case, all bets are off. I'm only mostly kidding.

E3 2012 begins in earnest on Monday morning, with Microsoft's press conference. From there, it'll be EA, then Ubi, then Sony. After that, there's a Microsoft showcase event that I'll be heading to so we can actually play some of their stuff. The rest of the guys will probably hang out at Sony for a bit, because they usually have kiosks with running games on them. But we won't dawdle there too long. We'll have to get back to our streaming spot and get a live show going so we can talk about the events of the day with a collection of guests. The plan is to get the live show going around 8PM every night, but you know how these things can be. We'll be spread out across LA to see games, and I wouldn't be surprised if we started late here and there.

Tuesday morning starts with Nintendo, which I have to imagine will be the most exciting press conference of the bunch, barring any hosting fiascos at Ubisoft. New hardware rules the day at these things and Nintendo's probably going to be the only guys who have that. After that, the show starts in earnest, and we'll get to the floor and get going. Around 3PM or so on Tuesday, I'll be swinging by GameSpot's second stage to check in with John and say hey.

OK, so, for the press conferences we'll be carrying GameSpot's Twitch.TV channel in our chat room, so you'll be able to congregate there and watch. We'll also keep that up for the duration of the show so you can check out their stage demos, once again chaired by Chris Watters. I've seen the list of games they're booking and it appears that they'll have a pretty good show. At night, we'll shut that business down and swap over to our Twitch channel, which is where the nighttime magic will be happening. If you're into the whole Twitch ecosystem, feel free to head over there and follow our channel. Then you can get emails or mobile alerts or smoke signals whenever we're going live. We'll do four shows, Monday through Thursday. We'll also have Vinny, Drew, Daniel, and Thomas anchoring the rest of our on-floor video pretense, letting us get out there and shoot interviews and... ya know... see stuff at E3.

Alex and I are the only ones who care about tradition, it seems. I think we're the only two people here who are driving down to LA. That'll happen on Sunday, and we're going to try to live stream as much of it as we can. That requires a few different things to line up, though. First, the Justin.TV app will have to be stable and functioning. If you've tried to watch me and Ryan drive home lately, you know that it's been a bit... spotty? Second, we'll need proper 3G signal between here and Los Angeles. There were a ton of dead spots the last time we tried this, so... we'll see. That'll happen on my own Twitch channel, so... maybe peek in on that once or twice tomorrow and see if we've managed to get it working. I'll probably be posting about that stuff on Twitter, too, so follow that, if you're in the following mood.

That... should be just about it? There are still a handful of things related to equipment and process that I'm sort of sweating, but E3's going to happen whether that stuff gets ironed out or not, right? Wish us luck on that stuff, and assuming that all of our equipment isn't destroyed during E3, hopefully we can get it all back to San Francisco and start thinking about producing things that weren't shot on my ZI8. A novel idea, I know.

See ya on the other side!

XOXO,

Jeff

Random88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Random88

E3 is here

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By kindgineer

That post pic was hilarious.

destruktive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By destruktive

looking forward to this years E3. I'm really hoping for a bunch of awesome stuff that I didn't know about but we all know that won't happen :(

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Meowshi

If Jeff Gerstmann is on the E3 podcast, I'll quit listening. Who does that guy think he is, butting in on Giantbomb's fame?

Nephrahim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Nephrahim

E3 HYPE TRAIN!

Cyrisaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Cyrisaurus

I saw that David Jaffe tweeted he would be on the broadcast. Can't wait. You guys should get the exclusive reveal of his next game.

TheKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By TheKing

To quote the great Reggie Fils-Aime...

"My body is ready."

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#9  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Excitement!

Dan_Persona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By Dan_Persona  Online

See you at E3 Jeff.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By TheHT

The game is on. Godspeed gentlemen.

nickux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By nickux

@SamDrugbringer said:

E3 HYPE TRAIN!

come on ride the train and ride it woo wooooo!

2xtreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By 2xtreme

Have fun to all of you!

Roomrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14  Edited By Roomrunner

MY BOAT IS READY

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By TruthTellah

Wait, isn't Nintendo getting the jump on everyone by having their Wii-U stream tomorrow?

Pretty sneaky, Nintend-sis!

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#16  Edited By rjayb89

MY EYES ARE READY

HydraHam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By HydraHam

Surgery sunday, off till friday to heal, days of amazingly bossness.

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By DharmaBum

Let's fucking do this.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By laserbolts

Can't wait for the e3 podcasts. They are my favorites pretty much every year. Goddammit I need to resubscribe already.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
    Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By Oscar__Explosion
    @SamDrugbringer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-DpRcxK_N8&feature;=youtube_gdata_player
    shintsurugi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By shintsurugi

Is it me, or is that Rich Gallup in that picture of three people?

Chtasm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Chtasm

Can't wait for that Giantbomb E3 Boat coverage. Woo!

Zalera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#23  Edited By Zalera

I'm ready. Let's go.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24  Edited By Marz

sounds good to me.

TehFlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By TehFlan

I am all about the boats this year.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ch3burashka

@shintsurugi said:

Is it me, or is that Rich Gallup in that picture of three people?

Unless you are Rich Gallup, it isn't you.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MarkWahlberg

A different button configuration? Quick, Giles, bring me my smelling salts!

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#28  Edited By Phatmac

MY BODY IS READY FOR EXTREME E3!!!

therealminime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 36

#29  Edited By therealminime

Very excited for the next week, always so much fun.

alfighter27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#30  Edited By alfighter27

Good luck guys, and try not to get your faces eaten. 

In fact, try not to eat any faces yourselves.

neek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By neek

games AHOY!

fusrodah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By fusrodah

FUCK IT, WE'LL DO IT LIVE

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#33  Edited By crusader8463

Was worried for the last month or so that I was going to miss E3 this year. Since it's the first time I have had a job at the same time I was worried I would get stuck working a shift during the conference. I got lucky and was a high enough rank at work to get the shift bid I wanted and got this Monday/Tuesday off!

E3 is pretty much the only thing I look forward to each year, because watching all the live streams and after hours stuff here on GB is always super fun. Will have to make sure I stop and get some frozen pizzas, snacks and what not. E3 is to me like the Super Stanley Mega Mania Cup Bowl is to sports nuts.

billyhoush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#34  Edited By billyhoush

Godspeed.

JunkHype

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By JunkHype

Good luck gentlemen!

cloneslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By cloneslayer

nice header image on the front page

ShadyPingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ShadyPingu

Last June, I had just graduated and had nothing but free time. Now I have work in the morning and no time to watch the E3 casts live.

Adulthood sucks.

felakuti4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By felakuti4life

Eh! Eh! Eh!

Totori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Totori

GBJB turn it on and rip the knob off

Sil3n7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Sil3n7
    No Caption Provided
    Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
    CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

My body is ready.

dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By dungbootle

Yaaay!

Jace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Jace

XOXO

Lyfeforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Lyfeforce

GLHB, men.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By MrKlorox

I wore myself out today so I could have a day's buffer to get my sleep schedule corrected in order to be up and adam for the live shows in the morning.

noby_guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By noby_guy

MY RODY IS BEADY! MY RODY!!! E3, we will be sucked and will be extreeeeeeme.

allodude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By allodude

We're going to see Rich Gallup huh....

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#49  Edited By pr1mus

Is dubstep going to continue to reign supreme over the various trailers or is another horrible kind of music going to emerge as the new rage? #e3mysteries

chadster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By chadster

Yeah son get that break music up in hurr!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.