Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

E3 2013

Concept »

The nineteenth annual Electronic Entertainment Expo took place at the Los Angeles Convention Center on June 11-13, 2013.

Can E3 Really Save Microsoft?

• 137 results
    AiurFlux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By AiurFlux

The last two MS conferences at E3 have been, in a word, shit. So I honestly don't think it can. If anything they'll fuck up more and dig themselves an even deeper hole.

Whitestripes09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@naru_joe93:

And rumors are X1 will be cheaper then the 360 release.

Where exactly are these rumors coming from? If anything, I expect the X1 price to be higher than the 360 due to the kinect being packaged with it.

Grixxel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I love all the exaggerated drama and predictions that have come out of this. When, in reality, people will still buy the console no matter what, it will still be successful and a few months from now none of this shit will be talked about. But by all means continue to enjoy your internets.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Darji

@naru_joe93 said:

@bigjeffrey: Halo 4 was NOT the best selling halo ever. And no one is going to buy a new system just for COD, because COD will remain on current gen systems (for the foreseeable future too). I'd bet both of my nuts most of COD Ghosts sales will be on the 360

Chief of Staff for Interactive Entertainment Business at Microsoft has confirmed Halo 4 is the best selling Halo ever.

Best selling or best revenue. Which is a HUGE difference.

Also since when did Ryse become a controller game? Source for that?

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By bigjeffrey
    @darji said:

@bigjeffrey said:
    @naru_joe93 said:

@bigjeffrey: Halo 4 was NOT the best selling halo ever. And no one is going to buy a new system just for COD, because COD will remain on current gen systems (for the foreseeable future too). I'd bet both of my nuts most of COD Ghosts sales will be on the 360

Chief of Staff for Interactive Entertainment Business at Microsoft has confirmed Halo 4 is the best selling Halo ever.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/5/22/4355142/crytek-ryse-exclusive-xbox-one

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Darji

@darji said:

@bigjeffrey said:
    @naru_joe93 said:

http://www.polygon.com/2013/5/22/4355142/crytek-ryse-exclusive-xbox-one

Oh cool maybe it will not suck then. Its more interesting now.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By PillClinton

Don't need saving. We're talking about Xbox here, a highly successful and hugely recognizable brand, and household name. It'll sell well, in NA at the very least, and of course there will be plenty of games for it.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Darji

@pillclinton said:

Don't need saving. We're talking about Xbox here, a highly successful and hugely recognizable brand, and household name. It'll sell well, in NA at the very least, and of course there will be plenty of games for it.

Only in the US and UK and that is not enough to become even second.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Subjugation

Save them from what? The overreactions of the internet? It has been fascinating to watch this from the outside and be uncommitted to either console company. I honestly don't plan to buy either one. This has allowed me to throw aside practically all bias and see people for the drama queens they really are. People have straight up been trying to crucify the new xbox and it has been embarrassing (them, not the system).

Stop trying to foretell the future. Wait until you have solid information and then make a judgment. And stop being so melodramatic.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

@pillclinton said:

You really don't think it'll do about as well as the 360 in the mainstream? Maybe not in the first year, but over time it seems highly likely. Joe Call of Duty and Madden will buy the next Xbox. I don't keep up on sales numbers or anything, but it seems like the Xbox brand did pretty damn well over the last 5 years.

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
    connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By connerthekewlkid

@darji said:

@pillclinton said:

T..thats 2/3rds of the market almost.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

@pillclinton said:

LOL No. I think you overestimate the UK sales. UK is like 20% max of complete EU sales. At the moment UK is even behind Germany in terms of software sales.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@darji said:

@pillclinton said:

LOL No. I think you overestimate the UK sales. UK is like 20% max of complete EU sales. At the moment UK is even behind Germany in terms of software sales.

Pics or didnt happen.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@connerthekewlkid:

"(...) [hardware (console+handheld) & software (console+handheld+PC] (...)"

Germany:

$ 2.515.024.800

United K.:

$ 2.375.465.300

France:

$ 2.220.576.600

also:

No Caption Provided

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The games arent an issue for me. It's the system and the core 'features'. So no, E3 isn't going to change my mind

connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

@connerthekewlkid:

"(...) [hardware (console+handheld) & software (console+handheld+PC] (...)"

Germany:

$ 2.515.024.800

United K.:

$ 2.375.465.300

France:

$ 2.220.576.600

also:

No Caption Provided

Well from that graph the PS3 doesn't seem to have that much of a strong lead its almost split even between that the 3DS and the Xbawks.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I'll tell you what MS could show me to improve my thoughts on them. They could come out and say "You can play your buddy's games without having any fee or connecting to the internet or using some goddamn code, just toss your buddy's disc in and play! Also, you can leave the system unplugged from the internet all day, every day, for your entire life and it will play games and movies and music just like the 360 did, no problem!"

In addition to that,

Impress me with some new IPs, some cool looking games and announce they're changing their indie developer policies. yeah, that'd help ALOT

They must also do this.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@connerthekewlkid: yeah in the UK in the rest of Europe LOL. Again if you compare Sony and Microsoft in Europe the 360 in non existent beside the UK. Especially regarding software sales. For example in Germany you rather see a special edition of the PS3 version than the normal 360 version in the Top 10.

connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By connerthekewlkid

@darji said:

@connerthekewlkid: yeah in the UK in the rest of Europe LOL. Again if you compare Sony and Microsoft in Europe the 360 in non existent beside the UK. Especially regarding software sales. For example in Germany you rather see a special edition of the PS3 version than the normal 360 version in the Top 10.

So you killed your own argument with that graph then?

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@connerthekewlkid: How did I kill my argument. The black bars are Ps3 hardware sales and the green one 360 sales how can you not see a huge advantage for Sony? they are millions ahead in Europe. It is a US like situation here. How do you think the PS3 outsold the 360 world wide otherwise then?

connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

@connerthekewlkid: How did I kill my argument. The black bars are Ps3 hardware sales and the green one 360 sales how can you not see a huge advantage for Sony? they are millions ahead in Europe. It is a US like situation here. How do you think the PS3 outsold the 360 world wide otherwise then?

The areas range from a 10-15% percent advantage, sure its alot of money but not a complete domination in the country that you seem to think so.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Darji

@connerthekewlkid said:

@darji said:

The areas range from a 10-15% percent advantage, sure its alot of money but not a complete domination in the country that you seem to think so.

Again it is like in the US. LOL 10:15 % advantage? WHAT? The 100 is the complete market. If you compare the two only you will get in most countries a over 50% advantage.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#74  Edited By TruthTellah

Can they turn things around at E3? Absolutely.

Will they turn things around at E3? Eh...

connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@darji said:

Again it is like in the US

Okay your point? Sony just passed xbawks worldwide sales in Janary of this year not when they were at their peak or anything so what are you trying to tell me?

WasabiCurry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By WasabiCurry

Depends on who you ask when E3 comes around. Fan boys will love and haters will hate...

And in the middle, people who aren't on either side will generally say, "They do have some good titles, maybe not all of them, but perhaps I should wait until I hear more news so that I can be informed about my big purchase."

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Darji

@darji said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@darji said:

Okay your point? Sony just passed xbawks worldwide sales in Janary of this year not when they were at their peak or anything so what are you trying to tell me?

And with a year head start as well. And what I want to tell you? That US+UK is not 2/3 of the market or that UK is not 2/3 of the market whatever you meant by that 2/3. And with that US focused Box they will not archive anything in Europe.

connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By connerthekewlkid

@darji said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@darji said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@darji said:

And with that US focused Box they will not archive anything in Europe.

Gee never would've figured that out.

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Totally. There is nothing wrong with the xbox one. It just will be a even more split this generation and more competion. Which is good for us gamers!

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@darji said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@darji said:

And with a year head start as well. And what I want to tell you? That US+UK is not 2/3 of the market or that UK is not 2/3 of the market whatever you meant by that 2/3. And with that US focused Box they will not archive anything in Europe.

Ya it JUST passed 360 sames. JUST passed in December. Right before the next generation comes out. Meaning 360 has been leading up untill then.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Darji

@darji said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@darji said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@darji said:

Ya it JUST passed 360 sames. JUST passed in December. Right before the next generation comes out. Meaning 360 has been leading up untill then.

yeah with one year ahead. And with an always higher price than the 360.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@darji said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@darji said:

connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

@the_laughing_man said:

@darji said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@darji said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@darji said:

But it also got a major boost by being the cheapest Blu-Ray player just like the PS2 did last gen.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

@the_laughing_man said:

@darji said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@darji said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@darji said:

But it also got a major boost by being the cheapest Blu-Ray player just like the PS2 did last gen.

So what? that was part of their strategy. Also the 360 got a huge boost because of RROD and people just buying more consoles because of that.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@darji said:

@the_laughing_man said:

@darji said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@darji said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@darji said:

So what? that was part of their strategy. Also the 360 got a huge boost because of RROD and people just buying more consoles because of that.

Im done trying to talk with you. Every post you have made is smashing on MS. You go out of your way to find information that is skewed into crushing them.

connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@darji said:

@the_laughing_man said:

@darji said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@darji said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@darji said:

Most RROD Xbox's just got new ones shipped since the RROD policy came out a year after the system did before most people had it.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@darji said:

@the_laughing_man said:

@darji said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@darji said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@darji said:

Im done trying to talk with you. Every post you have made is smashing on MS. You go out of your way to find information that is skewed into crushing them.

It was from Nintendo financial report... If you can not accept the truth and facts it is not my problem

connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@darji said:

@the_laughing_man said:

@darji said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@darji said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@darji said:

Most RROD Xbox's just got new ones shipped since the RROD policy came out a year after the system did before most people had it.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Darji

@darji said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@darji said:

@the_laughing_man said:

@darji said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@darji said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@darji said:

still how many people actually bought new box after warranty or before this policy?

connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By connerthekewlkid

@darji said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@darji said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@darji said:

@the_laughing_man said:

@darji said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@darji said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@darji said:

still how many people actually bought new box after warranty or before this policy?

There was a one year gap before the policy and the average amount of RROD people had if they had the 360 for the full 8 years is about 2 so about 1/2 of those would be new purchases since most of them fell under the warranty time.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@naru_joe93: Internet whiners make up a tiny percent of the actual population that will be buying the consoles and those whiners will probably buy both consoles anyway so they can always keep up with their whining. There was nothing disastrous about the Xbox One reveal. If anything they've had the most positive news for gamers by announcing that they'll have 15 first party games in the first year. Do you think Microsoft really cares about people who predominantly buy used games? Microsoft makes nothing off of used games and they'll likely be selling the console at a loss.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

Yes, announce some games and show some impressive things...with a society that can only focus on something that happened within the last week, I think they are going to be just fine.

mcain99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By mcain99

My opinion was the MS reveal was disastrous and it is hard to believe otherwise. Weeks leading up to this reveal there were two major questions: used/rental/loan games and always online internet connection. These were not addressed during the reveal and when MS tried to answer these questions, everyone gave different answers (you can see Patrick's news post about MS poor messaging, Microsoft Digs Bigger Hole Over Used Games). So while it is easy to blame the "internet whiners", it is Microsoft's fault this situation has gotten out of their control.

I do think Microsoft can correct the Xbox One image problem at E3, but it is going to be hard because of one thing....Kinect. I foresee Microsoft spending at the least 1.25 hours of the E3 conference talking about Kinect games or Kinect enhanced features in games. People keep mentioning the 15 first party games in the first year but they don't say how many of those are going to be PURE (not optional) Kinect games. I would be the over/under and 7.5 games and all 15 of those games will have some form of Kinect (optional) features. Hopefully they will show some exciting Kinect games or the E3 conference is going to be boring. I also think they are going to spend some time going over the SmartGlass features that will be in the games at E3, because every single one of them will have something on SmartGlass (not saying that is bad but it will take time away from showing the games).

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcain99 said:

My opinion was the MS reveal was disastrous and it is hard to believe otherwise. Weeks leading up to this reveal there were two major questions: used/rental/loan games and always online internet connection. These were not addressed during the reveal and when MS tried to answer these questions, everyone gave different answers (you can see Patrick's news post about MS poor messaging, Microsoft Digs Bigger Hole Over Used Games). So while it is easy to blame the "internet whiners", it is Microsoft's fault this situation has gotten out of their control.

I do think Microsoft can correct the Xbox One image problem at E3, but it is going to be hard because of one thing....Kinect. I foresee Microsoft spending at the least 1.25 hours of the E3 conference talking about Kinect games or Kinect enhanced features in games. People keep mentioning the 15 first party games in the first year but they don't say how many of those are going to be PURE (not optional) Kinect games. I would be the over/under and 7.5 games and all 15 of those games will have some form of Kinect (optional) features. Hopefully they will show some exciting Kinect games or the E3 conference is going to be boring. I also think they are going to spend some time also going over the SmartGlass features that will be in the games at E3, because every single one of them will have something on SmartGlass (not saying that is bad but it will take time away from showing the games).

I think the confrence was mainly" Hey..we got something to" Then they forgot their science fair project at home and made due with what they had.

Dot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well the Xbox One is going to be successful either way because people are still going to buy it... I guess the only thing that could "save" them would be the pricing, and that would only work if they wait until Sony releases their pricing first.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#96  Edited By bacongames

@wewantsthering said:

@the_laughing_man said:

No. Because there is nothing to save. Everything has been blown out of perportion and this is more or less the same that happened to Sony last gen. It will all be forgotten. MS has 15 exclusives and 8 new IPs. We also do not know what both systems are over clocked to. Not to mention Sony could turn around and do their own dumb shit. There is nothing to save.

Thinking about it another way, there is nothing to save because nothing's happened yet. There are no financials yet, no metrics, nothing because the damn thing hasn't hit store shelves. The only thing that requires "saving" is the message control which is ostensibly the only thing that would matter at E3 in addition to announcing more games and engendering more of a direct message with the game crowd. That's it.

Goddamn it I'm already so tired of talking about this, mark my words this is the last Xbox One thread I'm replying to until E3 and maybe even after, who knows.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#97  Edited By penguindust

Sure, there's no Nintendo so only Sony can offer resistance and they have a history of going off track. E3 is going to be about the hardware for them so they're going in at a disadvantage if Microsoft's strategy to focus on games this round comes to fruition. Of course, MS is going to shove Kinect down our throats again and sadly that means overly cute little girls playing with virtual pets on stage and Usher back for round 2. They could fuck it up, by going too general; too "Middle-America". I doubt they'll give us a price at E3, but if they lose their minds and bring it in under $300 (with a 2-year subsidized XBL subscription), then that could be a huge factor, as well.

Personally, I'm a bit fatigued by the Xbox already from the post-reveal misinformation. Either way, whoever shows the most cool stuff wins.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wewantsthering said:

@the_laughing_man said:

No. Because there is nothing to save. Everything has been blown out of perportion and this is more or less the same that happened to Sony last gen. It will all be forgotten. MS has 15 exclusives and 8 new IPs. We also do not know what both systems are over clocked to. Not to mention Sony could turn around and do their own dumb shit. There is nothing to save.

Thinking about it another way, there is nothing to save because nothing's happened yet. There are no financials yet, no metrics, nothing because the damn thing hasn't hit store shelves. The only thing that requires "saving" is the message control which is ostensibly the only thing that would matter at E3 in addition to announcing more games and engendering more of a direct message with the game crowd. That's it.

Goddamn it I'm already so tired of talking about this, mark my words this is the last Xbox One thread I'm replying to until E3 and maybe even after, who knows.

Thats what I meant.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#99  Edited By Brendan

You need to get a grip. Sony capped their performance with Kill Zone. Their press conference wasn't God come to earth. The show was certainly more interesting than MS's but either could still do more, or a lot less, to impress me at E3. Remember, Sony just hasn't talked at length about the subjects MS has come under fire for. For a bunch of people who consider themselves above "marketing" we've all sure bit the bridle hard during this whole thing haven't we?

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
    selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

For me, Microsoft can do two things to make me consider their platform:

1. Abandon the kinect requirement. I'm fine with leaving it in the box but I don't have space on my desk for a Kinect and my room is too small. It's as simple as that - kinect requirement = no purchase. Even if it works 3ft out, I have about 5ft between my desk and my bed, and having only 1 foot of space behind me is both restrictive and uncomfortable.
    2. Abandon the 24-hour check-in or change it to a 1-2 week check-in. I don't mind it if I have to register games to my account or if it checks in at a reasonable rate (every 1-2 weeks), but 24 hours is too short a period. I go on holidays 1-2 times a year for periods of 5 days to 1 month (either back to the family in India or to interesting places around Australia). If I can't bring a console on those trips then there is no point in me owning it.

If they do that, THEN they can wow me with games. As for what will make me buy it?

• Mass Effect 4 if it were to come out on Xbone significantly before PC
    • a Final Fantasy game or other big JRPG (eg. Lost Odyssey 2)
    • (long shot) a Persona Studio game (even if it's Catherine 2)

Just give me games with interesting stories to tell. That's all I ask.

The only game which can make me buy the XBO in spite of my previously stated reservations would be Persona 5.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.